Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2018 6:31:45 AM EDT

In 1988, the Soviet hydrographic research ship Keldysh positioned itself over the wreck of K-219, and found the submarine sitting upright on the sandy bottom. It had broken in two, aft of the conning tower. Several missile silo hatches had been forced open, and the missiles, along with the nuclear warheads they contained, were gone.
View Quote
Link
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#1]
you must hang out on Reddit
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#2]
They weren't pried open, the crew purposely ejected them. They're somewhere a few miles back from where they sank and a few miles down from sea level.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Glomar Explorer got there first
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What was that movie with George Clooney, and the repurposed Israeli nuke?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
My thought as well. Someone got a glowing yearly evaluation report for that bit of work.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, the sub was missing its espresso machine.

Maybe it was their Sno-Cone maker...

Or their water heater?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or their water heater?
View Quote
I get that reference.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Arfcom group buy?

They must be for sale somewhere, GD would come to a conscience so fast on where to use them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a movie plot
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#10]
If true....hopefully the only folks able to do anything like that is US.

I'm sure the USA would gleefully examine the latest Soviet ICMB, even if a little water logged.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Peacemakers
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I get that reference.
View Quote
Battery Aziz.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
You beat me too it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They weren't pried open, the crew purposely ejected them. They're somewhere a few miles back from where they sank and a few miles down from sea level.
View Quote
Then what explains the mechanical marks on the outsides of the doors?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I've seen that movie.

Kinda silly, but we win.

Why worry?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Read the linky.  It gets more and more interesting.  I am beginning to suspect that we did pull a Glomar or maybe a subsurface Glomar like exercise with ROVs.  We certainly have the technology.  There are plenty of ROVs operating in the gulf at 6000 ft easy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Arfcom group buy?

They must be for sale somewhere, GD would come to a conscience so fast on where to use them.
View Quote
I doubt arfcom would reach a conscience even if it had a consensus.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Battery Aziz.....
View Quote
You know my handcuffs...?
I picked them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Battery Aziz.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get that reference.
Battery Aziz.....
Go get another one, you MORON...
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#21]
18,000 feet of water?  Sweet.  The next time somebody brings me a sketchy nuclear weapon to refurbish, and it looks like it might have been crushed by water pressure, I'll be a little more leery about latent effects from criticality issues.  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, the wreck sits DEEP. If I recall over 10K feet, only the US could’ve pulled off a recovery like that back in the 80’s. In reality those nukes are riding the ocean floor somewhere.  This is how we get Godzilla.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#23]
SO what would you do with a few 1970's era soviet nuke warheads that hadn't been maintained since 1986 and had to be (hypothetically) retrieved from about 18,000ft of saltwater where they sat for at least a few years?  Even IF you managed to survive extracting the nuclear materiel despite booby traps and safety's ---at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars--what would you then do with your prize? The implication is that somebody "stole" the missiles and warheads for some sort of nefarious use.
Other than us or the soviets salvaging them -highly doubtful.  They are not "missing" nobody has really looked for them. The 219 sailed with one silo disabled due to a previous accident. that leaves 15. One was ejected with 2 warheads at the start of the accident. Other missile tubes were opened to vent gasses by the crew during the accident. More than likely those missiles exploded when their fuel came into contact with seawater--albeit under the ocean and abandoned. those remains are scattered around the wreck somewhere. The ship broke in half behind the conning tower-where the missile tubes are-and those missiles were likely effected also.  I doubt if any missiles or warheads are "missing" the soviets and the US kept pretty close eyes on the wreck.
Unless you happen to be Ernst Stavro Blofeld or Goldfinger ,in which case it would be cheaper to build your own, no-one has the resources to retrieve the crappy ass and incredibly dangerous prone to explode in seawater 1970's era missiles and shitty soviet era warheads nor would anyone want to.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Read the linky.  It gets more and more interesting.  I am beginning to suspect that we did pull a Glomar or maybe a subsurface Glomar like exercise with ROVs.  We certainly have the technology.  There are plenty of ROVs operating in the gulf at 6000 ft easy.
View Quote
Meters.  It's at 6000 meters.

This is why Mars can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#25]
We should detonate them out of safety. And live stream the explosion.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sounds like a James Bond movie plot
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Arfcom group buy?

View Quote
I wouldn't mind having access to a few. I'm in $100,000
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Spain claimed them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Or the Russians never had the missiles and were playing a game of hide the ball under a cup and pretending they were armed and stocked well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#30]
We got there first with one of our subs and took them.

(sorry, I'm in the middle of Blind Mans Bluff).  

Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#31]
One of the cable news channels (not CNN/Fox/MSNBC) scrolled a headline about missing nuclear powered missiles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#32]
So someone stole some warheads in a sunken soviet sub that the soviets did not have the tech at the time to retrieve.

I think we all can guess who took those warheads.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I bet this boat was involved.

Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I’m honestly surprised that more ‘Soviet era warheads’ aren’t missing.
Or maybe they are and we just don’t know about it
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
SO what would you do with a few 1970's era soviet nuke warheads that hadn't been maintained since 1986 and had to be (hypothetically) retrieved from about 18,000ft of saltwater where they sat for at least a few years?  Even IF you managed to survive extracting the nuclear materiel despite booby traps and safety's ---at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars--what would you then do with your prize? The implication is that somebody "stole" the missiles and warheads for some sort of nefarious use.
Other than us or the soviets salvaging them -highly doubtful.  They are not "missing" nobody has really looked for them. The 219 sailed with one silo disabled due to a previous accident. that leaves 15. One was ejected with 2 warheads at the start of the accident. Other missile tubes were opened to vent gasses by the crew during the accident. More than likely those missiles exploded when their fuel came into contact with seawater--albeit under the ocean and abandoned. those remains are scattered around the wreck somewhere. The ship broke in half behind the conning tower-where the missile tubes are-and those missiles were likely effected also.  I doubt if any missiles or warheads are "missing" the soviets and the US kept pretty close eyes on the wreck.
Unless you happen to be Ernst Stavro Blofeld or Goldfinger ,in which case it would be cheaper to build your own, no-one has the resources to retrieve the crappy ass and incredibly dangerous prone to explode in seawater 1970's era missiles and shitty soviet era warheads nor would anyone want to.
View Quote
You crushed my fantasy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51nYicn7iKL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
View Quote
Would you recommend it?  Meaning that book
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Meters.  It's at 6000 meters.

This is why Mars can't have nice things.
View Quote
*Snicker*
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51nYicn7iKL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
A little over half way through and yes I would.

It's certainly old news, but it's very interesting stuff. I was unaware of some of the things we accomplished with submarine espionage, and some of it is fascinating.

ETA:
Ha...... they just got to this boat in the book:

Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
One of the cable news channels (not CNN/Fox/MSNBC) scrolled a headline about missing nuclear powered missiles.
View Quote
Yes.  The Russians really are this stupid.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#41]
So we have a Russian missile?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So someone stole some warheads in a sunken soviet sub that the soviets did not have the tech at the time to retrieve.

I think we all can guess who took those warheads.
View Quote
#DeepState
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
18,000 feet of water?  Sweet.  The next time somebody brings me a sketchy nuclear weapon to refurbish, and it looks like it might have been crushed by water pressure, I'll be a little more leery about latent effects from criticality issues.  Thanks for the heads up.
View Quote
"the next time"????
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
And yet, Project Azorian happened.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"the next time"????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"the next time"????
Some people don't think Craigslist be like it be, but it do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just return them a shoddy bomb case filled with used pinball machine parts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I really liked that book.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Or their water heater?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
You mean that stupid movie.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
despite booby traps and safety's
View Quote
Two plurals in the same sentence — one correct, one incorrect.

What do they teach kids these days? To flip a coin at the end of any word ending with the letter “s” to determine whether or not to include an apostrophe in the general vicinity?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top