Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I was supervising graveyard shift and was there for 10 hours.  I'm tired and ready to go home.  Then the oncoming supervisor calls me and says she can't come in because her Mom's bird died and she was going to be real upset about that.  I asked her, "So you're calling in 'dead bird'?"  I had to wait another couple of hours before another supervisor was sent over to relieve me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PM stops by the job to check progress, decides to poke around in a nearby control cabinet while I'm wiring another.
Him: Hey, what's this wire do?
Me: Hey, Kim, be careful. That wire's hot.
Him: Hey, what's this wire do?
Me: Hey, Kim, be careful. That wire's hot!
Him: Hmmm, as he touches a wire to ground and the whole building goes dark and the main City of Temple Terrace water treatment plant goes offline.
Me: Hmmm, as I have to clear the short, safe the wire, reset the control breaker to clear the fault, and help the operators bring everything back up...

Kim also missed an entire page on a proposal, resulting in leaving out L&M for everything at another treatment facility from the outer wall to the first junction goes in the field. I was wondering why we were "3 weeks behind" when we started.

I later heard he was designing trash compactors.
View Quote

That’s a pretty good story
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's been a while. I was an IT Team Lead.   Employee had an alcohol issue.  He kept missing pre-scheduled evening calls with other IT teams to make changes after normal working hours.    Wrote him up.  Told him that if he couldn't make the call he had to call me and I would find somebody to take over.  We figured that he would fly right for a few months and then fall back into old habits.  Two weeks later I had to let him go.   It really sucks to have other IT teams screaming on the phone because they all showed up and my dude didn't.  For the time and location this dude was highly compensated but he just couldn't stay off of the sauce a couple of evenings per month.

View Quote

Seen it over and over and over.  Nothing you can do.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Call a guys office to discuss his job performance
When I told the secretary I needed to speak to “supervisor “
about “idiot employee”
She starts laughing and says what did he do now?
It went down hill from there

Thankfully “idiot” did it, in front of a security camera with sound

After the firing that afternoon, the “supervisor” bought
dinner at the steakhouse for the wife and I.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Zach got a job due to his dad spending thousands in my department. He was a stoner who came to work high on one or more illegal substances every day…when he decided to show up at all. He’d come in late, ralph in the water fountain, then put in a shit job for a few hours and go home sick. Then he threw a handful of blood at a 4th key manager, and we just didn’t schedule him anymore.

Corey was just a dumbass. He wore his sisters jeans and didn’t follow commands. He didn’t last past Christmas. He later tried to get a job working for my brother at a restaurant. My brother wrote “My brother says he’s a space cadet” on the kids resume and left it for his boss.

Joe had PTSD from being a janitor in the Air Force (I’m notifier kidding nor embellishing) and drank all night, would come in and do a shitty job of inventory which the rest of us would have to correct later.

Annette refused to chart on her patients for 3 weeks. She didn’t get a 4th week.

Amanda decided she didn’t want to chart on her patients and paid her coworker to chart for her.

Beth made sex jokes in training, showed me her boudoir photos and asked if they could be put on her name badge, flunked her orientation tests, and was an all around terrible employee.

Kelly was a director of a nursing home who let the patient families and her employees literally destroy the building and then. Pretty much every manager of people in the medical field is one kind of failure or another, IMO.

That’s all I can think of for the moment.
View Quote

Hospital administrators are scum of the earth.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Years ago I worked in a school and we were told we were being given drug tests so we all had to line up on our first day of inservice. One of my employees came to me and asked if he could go home because he pissed his pants waiting in line and couldn't hold it.

Poor guy, messed the whole front of his pants. I couldn't believe he did that but he was so freaked out about not missing the test he tried to hold it in line.
View Quote

You beloved that? Ha. Joke was on you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a subordinate, but I was in Talil Iraq in 2008, us USAF types were walking to the chow hall, as we were about to enter I watched a female E-9 ND her M9 into the clearing barrel, with the magazine still inserted she racked the slide, ejecting a live round into the dirt and ND’d that bitch again, she went to rack the slide AGAIN, when some Senior Airman grabbed her arm and took her M9 from her.

I was and still am dumbfounded, like to this day I can’t believe it happened.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some women are driven batshit fucking nuts at seeing a man at rest, no matter the circumstance.  Those women are best avoided if you're a man who likes to rest at all.
View Quote

It's because they see you as an employee.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You'd be surprised the absolute lack of excel skills. I've worked in finance for a long time and people just don't know it. An accounting clerk may spend all their time in the accounting system and never need excel.
View Quote

My wife was in a meeting with 4-5 C suite hospital administrators and most didn’t know how to use excel.  They were shooting down some sort of project because they could understand  the information in front of them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My favorite was Walter. Walter was a slight feller with hair parted off to the side (I’m betting by his mother). He got the college degree in Fire Science, got himself hired for a job at a top tier suburban metro fire department. Then he proceeds to “know it all” during training. We get to his first really nasty meat grinder accident. Jeep cherokee is on it’s side. Patient #1’s (driver) head was stuck between the pavement and the top rail between the A & B post of the truck. Think zit being popped. She was DRT. Poor Walter found out then and there that he was not cut out for the fire service. I think he puked. I know he was not able to help us on the scene & when we got back, he went into the office with our Captain and then went home. Poor Walter never came back. I wonder what he tells people of his time as a fireman. I bet it’s a whopper of a tale.
View Quote

I'll be honest I don't blame him. He was probably all about being a fire fighter and thought he was only going to be doing that. I wouldn't do well with seeing someone's exploded head either.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had a diversity hire riding with same field training officer as me and my buddy on a tour of the worst hood in Houston (okay, one of the worst) on the first day on the street with the PD. Buddy looked over and realized her speedloaders looked empty. When asked she responded that she hadn't bought any ammo yet because "today was just orientation."
View Quote

I'm confused...does your PD not issue ammo?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wonder how many of the rocket scientist on this forum can't drive a manual transmission??

My bet would be 50%
View Quote

A national survey in 2020 showed 66% of men and women can drive a manual. That falacy that it's an anti theft device is not set in stone yet.  Probably in another generation or so.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My favorite was Walter. Walter was a slight feller with hair parted off to the side (I’m betting by his mother). He got the college degree in Fire Science, got himself hired for a job at a top tier suburban metro fire department. Then he proceeds to “know it all” during training. We get to his first really nasty meat grinder accident. Jeep cherokee is on it’s side. Patient #1’s (driver) head was stuck between the pavement and the top rail between the A & B post of the truck. Think zit being popped. She was DRT. Poor Walter found out then and there that he was not cut out for the fire service. I think he puked. I know he was not able to help us on the scene & when we got back, he went into the office with our Captain and then went home. Poor Walter never came back. I wonder what he tells people of his time as a fireman. I bet it’s a whopper of a tale.
View Quote

At least he was smart enough to quit and not bullshit his way on calls.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Around 2003, the company I worked for merged the cell phone tech group with the land line group. I worked land line. I was back up for a cell tech who was from down south somewhere.

My boss called me to go help a cell tech who got stuck in the snow. No big deal, it's February in northern Michigan & there is about 3 feet of new lake effect snow. It happens.

I get to the place he is supposed to be...no one around & no truck in sight. I can see I'm about a mile from the cell tower. It's up a steep hill on a two track that has a "road closed in winter" barricade. I've been there before in winter. It's walk in with snow shoes carrying your test gear. Not impossible but no fun either. Hell, that two track ain't even that good in the summer

I call cell tech. No answer.
Call boss, boss says "He said he was going home after walking out"
Me: Walk out of where?
Boss: He said he was stuck on the road
Me: Uh...I think he tried to drive up to the tower.
Boss: He what?!
Me: Looks like there are truck tracks going around the barricade & foot prints walking out.
Boss: What the hell?
Me: Yup, he tried to drive in there.

I strap on the snow shoes, trudge in. He managed to drive about 1/2 way in. I could see where he had gotten stuck a couple times but kept heading farther in.  Man he sure did stick it. Buried with snow over the hood, left the driver's door open AND ran out of gas.It took some real world skill to do that.

Oh well, fuck it, I'm here & the tower is still out of service. Walk back to my truck, grab test gear & head back in to fix the problem after calling boss & tell him it's going to take a recovery wrecker. $1500 bill for that bit of fuckery.

Next day. He did exactly the same thing again with different truck. This time he managed to bounce it off a couple trees doing a lot of body damage. Another $1500 recovery bill plus a body shop bill. To his credit, he did manage to drive 30 feet farther to the tower.

Boss was told he was not allowed to fire him and that the guy was being transferred to southern Michigan.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A national survey in 2020 showed 66% of men and women can drive a manual. That falacy that it's an anti theft device is not set in stone yet.  Probably in another generation or so.
View Quote

That number would be a lot lower if there were a test of skill involved instead of just self reporting.  My wife says she can drive a manual but you better have a new clutch in there and you'd better get used to that burned plate smell.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One production line uses a 2-part epoxy.  The material comes in large totes and pumped to the mfg cell with a mixing pump.  

On more than one occasion they'd run a tote empty.  The pump would cavitate and fault out.  They'd just continue to reset the pump every 30seconds all night long.  I come in and they are bitching the pump is malfunctioningfix it!!  Yeah, they produced scrap all shift long.  Management is on my ass that 'we have to do something to prevent that'.  Ummmdidn't do any good that they ignored all the warnings and continued anyway.  There's even a big flashing red warning light showing the tote was empty.  I was only half joking about shock collars for equipment alarms as this happens way too often than it should.
View Quote
I told a process engineer that the only way to make something idiot proof was to get rid of the idiots.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had a diversity hire riding with same field training officer as me and my buddy on a tour of the worst hood in Houston (okay, one of the worst) on the first day on the street with the PD. Buddy looked over and realized her speedloaders looked empty. When asked she responded that she hadn't bought any ammo yet because "today was just orientation."

Only at the range for training or the academy. We were responsible for our own guns and duty ammo. Good part was this gave us a lot of choices. Only limited to anything between .38/9mm and .44 mag/.45 ACP. Ammo had to be SP/HP or FMJ.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Only at the range for training or the academy. We were responsible for our own guns and duty ammo. Good part was this gave us a lot of choices. Only limited to anything between .38/9mm and .44 mag/.45 ACP. Ammo had to be SP/HP or FMJ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh...learned something new today...I assume that it is tax deductible?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top