BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 45
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
YOUVE NEVER SEEN WHAT A BEAR DOES WHEN SHOT FLOPPING A DOVE WITH ENERGIES AND 9 PELLETS. SLATHER YOURSELF UP WITH SALMON PEANUTS AND GET INTO THAT TERRAIN BROTHER!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You've never seen a 5.56 wound in a human before, have you?
YOUVE NEVER SEEN WHAT A BEAR DOES WHEN SHOT FLOPPING A DOVE WITH ENERGIES AND 9 PELLETS. SLATHER YOURSELF UP WITH SALMON PEANUTS AND GET INTO THAT TERRAIN BROTHER!
I LOAD MY SCATTER GUN WITH NUT COAL, IT POISONS WHAT IT CAN'T KILL!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone know where one might find this salmon oil???

Asking for masturbation purposes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Either you're drunk, have downs syndrome, or don't know what buck shot is, and how it works.

Which is it?
View Quote

Now that's funny right there. Even funnier than he is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Why are people so mad that a 12 gauge slug is more powerful than a 5.56 round?

Obviously a shotgun has limitations, but inside 25 yards, a non CNS hit with a 12 gauge slug will kill a home intruder faster than the same hit with a 5.56.

A 12 gauge slug has more than twice the energy.

Even buckshot has about 50% more energy

It will disrupt more tissue and cause more bleeding.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Obviously a shotgun has limitations, but inside 25 yards, a non CNS hit with a 12 gauge slug will kill a home intruder faster than the same hit with a 5.56.
View Quote
Really? If you only hit soft tissue, no bones or major vessels, the 12 gauge magically kills faster than the 5.56mm?

Did anyone need "You don't even need to aim" for their bingo sheet?
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Will a 5.56 that doesn't hit anything valuable kill faster than an ice pick?
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, because Salmon oil energy pellets.
View Quote
Same reason 7.62 kills faster than 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did anyone need "5.56 is like an icepick" for bingo? You guys busting out troll accounts to win the bingo game for this thread?
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, because Salmon oil energy pellets.
It does? You can hit a non vital area and kill with 7.62?
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd like to put these people in the middle of Kodiak island at night, right after break up, smeared in salmon oil and peanut butter, then offer them an AR with 9  mags of ammo of their choice, or a semi 12 with ammo of their choice.

When they pick the 12, I'd give them their AR and wish them luck. Especially since "stopping power" doesn't exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Folks who insult the 12 gauge have probably never used it for hunting or self defense. It drops large mammals.

It is not as good as 5.56 against armored targets.

On a one shot basis against unarmored targets,  12 gauge has more stopping power.

Depending on the load, a 12 gauge can be more than three times more powerful.

That's just the science folks.

A 2 1/2" slug has about 3000 ft lbs of energy.

A 3 1/2" slug has close to 5000 ft lbs of energy.

5.56 is 1300 ft lbs.
I'd like to put these people in the middle of Kodiak island at night, right after break up, smeared in salmon oil and peanut butter, then offer them an AR with 9  mags of ammo of their choice, or a semi 12 with ammo of their choice.

When they pick the 12, I'd give them their AR and wish them luck. Especially since "stopping power" doesn't exist.
A guy in my Bn killed a charging water buffalo with a single round of m855.

5.56 clearly has as much or more stopping power as .375 H&H or .600NE.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Really? If you only hit soft tissue, no bones or major vessels, the 12 gauge magically kills faster than the 5.56mm?

View Quote
Have you ever shot anything with a 12 gauge?

Bloodloss from a 12 gauge wound will lower your blood pressure to point of unconsciousness very rapidly.

After that you will continue bleeding until you die.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did anyone need "5.56 is like an icepick" for bingo? You guys busting out troll accounts to win the bingo game for this thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
google 5.56 wounds, let us know?
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where one might find this salmon oil???

Asking for masturbation purposes.
View Quote
I didn't realize salmon needed help jerking off.
Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Literally nobody here is mad about that. You keep saying the same thing and nobody is arguing with you because nobody is mad about it.

Using your logic that "more energy more better," why not use an 8 bore?

A 12 gauge slug won't necessarily kill an intruder faster than a 5.56. Assuming they both hit, for example, the aortic arch and prevent any further blood flow to the brain, the person can still attack for 10-15 seconds with both. Assuming they have to bleed out to lower blood pressure, there's a limit here. Whether I drill a .75" hole or a 1.5" hole in my pump doesn't matter - it's not going to have any head either way. I think you're assuming "energy" kills people faster?

Then we have to talk about the limitations of each system. By pigeonholing the argument into the shotgun, you basically now have a rifle with (usually) low capacity, (usually) more difficulty in adding optics and lights, and (usually) manual operation. If you have a semi-auto, mag-fed shotgun with a rail and a light... you're basically trying to replicate a rifle at that point.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Literally nobody here is mad about that. You keep saying the same thing and nobody is arguing with you because nobody is mad about it.

A 12 gauge slug won't necessarily kill an intruder faster than a 5.56. Assuming they both hit, for example, the aortic arch and prevent any further blood flow to the brain, the person can still attack for 10-15 seconds with both. Assuming they have to bleed out to lower blood pressure, there's a limit here. Whether I drill a .75" hole or a 1.5" hole in my pump doesn't matter - it's not going to have any head either way. I think you're assuming "energy" kills people faster?

Then we have to talk about the limitations of each system. By pigeonholing the argument into the shotgun, you basically now have a rifle with (usually) low capacity, (usually) more difficulty in adding optics and lights, and (usually) manual operation. If you have a semi-auto, mag-fed shotgun with a rail and a light... you're basically trying to replicate a rifle at that point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's lower capacity and slower shooting at that...

My FAVORITE "shotguns are better" line of reasoning. (Shotguns are better cause I can turn one into a shitty rifle)
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I used to make excellent cogent arguments like that in shotgun threads.

It got old, and more fun to just make fun and write song parodies.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It took that for someone to pay him any attention, huh?

I almost felt sorry for him, it was like the homely girl sitting in the side at a junior high dance, trying to catch the eye of every boy who passes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Water buffalo, bears.

Psh.

None of that shit compares to the SHEER MANLINESS and ABSOLUTE COLD EYED COAL SHOVELING FORTITUDE it takes to kill dove and quail.

You're not possibly ready to defend your home unless you've gone wing shooting.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You've never seen a 5.56 wound in a human before, have you?
GET YOUR SHOTGUN AND SALMON OIL READY:

Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you even know how blood loss leads to incapacitation?

Even if you miss vital organs and major arteries, a bigger wound will bleed you out faster.

I’m not saying that a shotgun is perfect for everything, but it will drop someone faster at close range.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

GET YOUR SHOTGUN AND SALMON OIL READY:

https://i.imgur.com/eRBgLl4.jpg
View Quote
Oh, godsdammit, furries with not-quite-a-halberd?

Fuck this portal with salmon oil lube!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
But not on account of the lethality of the shotgun.  Their rather spurious complaint, which was more a political statement about our entry into the war than about the shotgun itself, specified that they claimed the shotgun caused unnecessary suffering. In other words, it wounded people too much, rather than kill them outright.
View Quote
You with your bullshit knowledge-
What do you want in war? When the Germans seen the shotguns come in the trenches they got blasted to fuck. They flat out worked.

It had to do with wounding and maiming to a point and was labeled as to effective because with one pull of the trigger there could be 3-4 people wounded.
Nothing to do with any political bullshit statement, and only made up from people like you.

The more the trenchers shot the more they wounded. Again what do you want in war? ????? Eh think a bit now.

Plus the dead and mutilated fuckin Kraut who had the shotguns bead on his chest. Hour long segment on the Military channel about the Winchester 12 gauge trench gun watch it and learn.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What do you want in war? When the Germans seen the shotguns come in the trenches they got blasted to fuck. They flat out worked.

It had to do with wounding and maiming to a point and was labeled as to effective because with one pull of the trigger there could be 3-4 people wounded.
Nothing to do with any political bullshit statement, and only made up from people like you.

The more the trenchers shot the more they wounded. Again what do you want in war? ????? Eh think a bit now.

Plus the dead and mutilated fuckin Kraut who had the shotguns bead on his chest. Hour long segment on the Military channel about the Winchester 12 gauge trench gun watch it and learn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But not on account of the lethality of the shotgun.  Their rather spurious complaint, which was more a political statement about our entry into the war than about the shotgun itself, specified that they claimed the shotgun caused unnecessary suffering. In other words, it wounded people too much, rather than kill them outright.

Ooh, the Military channel.  I'm sure it's hugely noteworthy for its historical rigor and accuracy!

Get the fuck out with that hog shit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah but if he had a slug gun, it would have exploded the bovine and also killed it's parents.

Besides, water buff are seldom on a rip crew. It's cape buffalo that are known for their gang affiliation and drug use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy in my Bn killed a charging water buffalo with a single round of m855.

5.56 clearly has as much or more stopping power as .375 H&H or .600NE.
Yeah but if he had a slug gun, it would have exploded the bovine and also killed it's parents.

Besides, water buff are seldom on a rip crew. It's cape buffalo that are known for their gang affiliation and drug use.
LOL!

It was actually a pretty rad shot, it was a platoon from a line company that came to hang out in our AO cause it was THE SHIT for getting action. So they did a little night patrol in the fields around the powerplant (Musayib). So this kid bumps into the bedded down aqua tatanka, it springs up and head butts the fuck out of him, and mid air he pops a round off right up it's snout. Thing was DRT.  Next morning the farmer comes in all "you killed my thing pay me money". Our CO is all "we protect your fields from looters, you pay us!" They haggled for a bit, and we ended up paying the guy a little bit. (from shit fuck tons of captured BAATH money we rounded up).
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Usually"?? Wtf is usually?!

If you're within 10 feet, and I put a single 5.56 one inch to the right of your heart, what happens?

If you're at the same distance and my POI is the exact same spot with a 12 ga 3" 00 load, what happens?

Which shot is more likely to put you down?

Now let's assume the rifle is an AR, and my shotgun isn't a 28" bbl break action SxS, and it's an actual modern semi auto, (higher than average) capacity built for home defense or aggression.

No one really doubts that a 5.56 to a vital won't do the job, but which one will cause more trauma to the heart, or will increase your chances of getting a CNS hit, will lead to more blood loss, and can project more holes faster?

Everyone here expects to put their 5.56 22 caliber bullet directly into the heart of a running, ducking, panicked target while they're potentially getting shot at, like they're shooting at their "tactical" target. It doesn't work that way.
You can plan all you want, but a good plan rarely survives aggressive contact.

A good shotgun increases your odds through pure and simple firepower.

And how the fuck is putting a light, a rail, and having a modern shotgun trying to turn it into a rifle?!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

Soldiers that had them tended to try and employ them at ranges that were too long, often resulting in single-pellet hits that just wounded without incapacitating.  I.e., unnecessary suffering.
View Quote
Well fuck me. To fuckin bad hey.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said, about the Germans who mowed down people by the tens of thousands with Machine guns and poison gassed those they couldn't.

But yea, I'm sure they were TERRIFIED of shotguns.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have. Lots of things.
Have you ever shot anyone with 5.56? If we're talking home defense distances, it's potentially moving 3 times as fast as buck shot, and it stretches things like some organs until they don't want to stretch anymore, and the dude has an unusual amount of hemorrhaging going on in his life.
View Quote
I’m not saying 5.56 is ineffective.

5.56 is definitely deadly, but 12 gauge will do more damage in a single shot at close range.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Start at 19 minute mark.
Alaskan native killing bear with an AR...
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Im built for aggression baby, Im a bear flopping salmon oil trencher.
View Quote
That is sig-line material there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I used to wing shoot a lot, I even keep a shotgun out of the safe

I keep a carbine out for HD.
View Quote
I grew up in the Texas panhandle.  I love quail and pheasant hunting.

But I know enough to not think that means fuck all when it comes to home defense.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do you even know how blood loss leads to incapacitation?
View Quote
Yes.

Way too slowly to be considered valuable for defensive purposes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I’m not saying the Germans had much of a case.  Just that their case wasn’t based on the shotgun being “too deadly”, but in fact just the opposite.

View Quote
It took too many krauts out with every trigger pull, dead or wounded does it matter in war?

Now you Nancy boys brought up war in the first place.

Then lets get back to across the room or down the hallway. OP and all. You think the wounding potential is greater or less so at 12 yds? How about 20yds?
How about 50yds, sure as hell you will be hit, you might even be dead and all your dumb ass friends might have xtra hole in their ass.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Based on your false dichotomies and poor guesswork, I'd say you'd be fucked either way.

Might want to train more.
View Quote
Well, you missed the point that each firearm has a area in which it is best.

Carry during the day, a pistol

As to your "reply"  Oh my, You seem so touchy touchy touchy....

Well seems like you think anyone who doesn't use an AR for any and all defense is going to die a gruesome death...
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same stupid argument.  If you don't hit anything immediately vital, they argue a  12 gauge isn't better than a 5.56, so, a 5.56 isn't any better than an ice pick.  Not my argument.  One's true, both are.  One's false, both are.  I'm northern European, calling me a troll is racist.  Got that on your bingo card?

What's faster to hit with?  A rifle or shotgun both have a longer sight radius (than a pistol) or could be "aimed" looking down the top of the barrel at room distances.  First shot?  Same.  Second shot?  Well, that's where the recoil comes in.  A 3" 12 gauge is going to move around a tad more than an AR.  Duh.  So here's hoping your first shot did the trick.  I doubt either is any easier or not to hit with the first time.  To suggest one might be more likely to miss with a shotgun than a rifle is silly.  People can miss with either.  And do.  People can hit with either and do.

In my house, looking from the bedroom to the stairs, a there's a window.  One or two panes of glass until you get to the neighbors house, then a typical frame/stucco wall and their kitchen or living room.  I can pick the wrong round or the right round.  How about that "barrier blind" that's been popular?  Anything shot that way better stay in the target.

All we get out of these arguments are the same old crap.  Yeah, well, if you do this or do that then.  No but you gotta to that and then this...

One post and some simpleton is throwing out "troll" because his feelings are hurt.  Jeez.  Get a life.  Go send beans to Chile.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
google 5.56 wounds, let us know?
View Quote
Google 12 gauge buckshot wounds.  let us know...
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm not saying 5.56 is ineffective.

5.56 is definitely deadly, but 12 gauge will do more damage in a single shot at close range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have. Lots of things.
Have you ever shot anyone with 5.56? If we're talking home defense distances, it's potentially moving 3 times as fast as buck shot, and it stretches things like some organs until they don't want to stretch anymore, and the dude has an unusual amount of hemorrhaging going on in his life.
I'm not saying 5.56 is ineffective.

Or not.

Really should look at pictures of 5.56 wounds before making statements like that. I mean, buckshot leaves the same devastation as being hit with a few non-expanding .380 rounds (but in worse form factor projectile wise), so sure catching a lungfull is a game ender.

But 5.56 leaves some fuck off nightmare fuel blow outs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

A goose at 50 yards will do better than a 2 legged mammal @ 50 ft.
(Or less in my home)

An AR makes a nasty head wound but a direct hit with a shotty removes most of it.

https://i.imgur.com/FAND3Nl.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/IseV7A2.jpg?1
View Quote
Nice, I should get another one, never thought of a folder on a shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Now that I own 30 round mags....

My 590 is on backup

My 16” AR is prima facie.

Ar15 > shotgun
Page / 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top