Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 29
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People who actually care about proper equipment selection?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing because shotguns suck for home defense pussies. Get a rifle.

FIFY

Says the Arfcom user who is quite obviously ignorant of anything in the field of terminal ballistics.

Inside 7 yards, who gives a fuck?

People who actually care about proper equipment selection?

"Propper equipment selection"
Lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Your neighbors, or maybe your kids behind the perp in their bedroom?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing because shotguns suck for home defense pussies. Get a rifle.

FIFY

Says the Arfcom user who is quite obviously ignorant of anything in the field of terminal ballistics.

Don't have any. House is stone three sides, load is #4 buck, frangible. Any more questions?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Don't have any. House is stone three sides, load is #4 buck, frangible. Any more questions?
View Quote
Under what color sun do you live, yellow or red?

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Federal Flite Control 00 buck 2 3/4" full power.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In order of appearance, game, game, Buck, Buck, SLUG.

Because that is the way dad did it.
View Quote

Oy vey
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Winchester 00 2 3/4" Magnum.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"Propper equipment selection"
Lol.
View Quote

So you don't know what that means.  Got it.

You could have just said that.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In order of appearance, game, game, Buck, Buck, SLUG.

Because that is the way dad did it.
View Quote

Seems like sound reasoning.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Understand that the shotgun is, at best, a tertiary weapon for me, so I haven't spent any real time tracking down "the best" ammo. I keep it loaded and in the back room, just in case I'm back there without my AR and need a gun. That being said, mine is loaded with Winchester Ranger low recoil 00. It patterns acceptably and would, most likely, work if I needed it to. I keep meaning to try out the flitecontrol stuff from Federal, but the vast majority of my shotgun shooting is birdshot.

On a different note, these threads are great to see who shoots and who owns guns to feel like a "man."
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope you don't miss that first shot, because follow up is going to be slower than someone with a rifle.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nothing because shotguns suck for home defense. Get a rifle.
View Quote

Reading comprehension failure
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:39:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1 or 4 buck.
View Quote

This in 3".
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

About as much failure as the members who posted shotguns in the pistol or rifle thread. Doesn't change the fact that shotguns are a tertiary and poor choice for home defense.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Why do you hate facts?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:48:16 AM EDT
[#15]
But what if I want shallow and gruesome?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#16]
When I read these threads I often wonder how many people here have actually seen someone who has been shot, much less with various shotgun loads.  Just for fun, do a google image search for buckshot wounds and you'll get an idea what a load of buckshot will do.  I'm not saying it's the best/ideal load, I don't think there really is a "best" load, they're all compromises in some way, but at the distances within a house it's certainly not "ineffective", not that I would want to be downrange any round for that matter.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

When I read these threads I often wonder how many people here have actually seen someone who has been shot, much less with various shotgun loads.  Just for fun, do a google image search for buckshot wounds and you'll get an idea what a load of buckshot will do.  I'm not saying it's the best/ideal load, I don't think there really is a "best" load, they're all compromises in some way, but at the distances within a house it's certainly not "ineffective", not that I would want to be downrange any round for that matter.  
View Quote
It's not what it'll do to the target that's the problem, it's what it'll do to anything behind it, should a projectile miss or go clean through your intended target.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never seen anyone claim them to be "ineffective", just not ideal.  There are tons of people who have been killed by .22LR.  Doesn't make it ideal.  

The point is, a shotgun is a compromise in nearly every category when compared to a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

There may be better options but nothing wrong with a shotgun, kid.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think I have ever called it "ineffective", just "sub-optimal" and "not the best choice".

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Worried about bear break ins?

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:02:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
But what if I want shallow and gruesome?
View Quote

Date an obese 20 year old nympho?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:04:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've never seen anyone claim them to be "ineffective", just not ideal.  There are tons of people who have been killed by .22LR.  Doesn't make it ideal.  

The point is, a shotgun is a compromise in nearly every category when compared to a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The main one is capacity and slow reloading.

I'll take 30 or 40 rounds per reload over 10 or less.

But I still have several home defense shotguns around the house.

If I had to shoot through walls, or cabinates, or a bookcase, or a table or a kitchen appliance and still knock down the person on the other side I would want a shotgun over n 556 AR, but a ..308 or even a 9mm or 45ACP pistol cal carbine would be better than a shotgun.

despite all that a shotgun has it's uses IMO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:10:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've settled on this load or the Federal LE132-1B (low recoil buckshot #1, 15 pellet)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fed LE13200.

I've settled on this load or the Federal LE132-1B (low recoil buckshot #1, 15 pellet)

Yup, same for me. Although bumps in the night normally get checked out with my pistol, the 590 and an AR are within easy reach.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:24:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Probably bird shot, since the most likely reason for me to be using the shotgun would be that I'm either headed out to or coming back from shooting clays and literally already had it in my hands.  Otherwise, it's 9mm, .357 or .223.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:27:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Federal H132 00 buckshot, 9 pellet, reduced recoil.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:40:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
A whole lot of people actually.

ETA- since you read these threads you should have known that right?

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Anything from 00 to #4.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:56:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Birdshot of course. All three barrels at the same time will do the trick.

http://files.harrispublications.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2013/04/DSC_7267_phatchjpeg_phatchjpeg-661x439.jpg
View Quote

That dude's head has a few moons orbiting it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:58:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Birdshot of course. All three barrels at the same time will do the trick.

http://files.harrispublications.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2013/04/DSC_7267_phatchjpeg_phatchjpeg-661x439.jpg

That's no fivehead. That's a space station!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:04:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Semi auto.

First round is a 3" lead bb.

after that is seven #4 buck. Reloads are 3" 00 buck.

Thin walls means I worry about over penetration. but if a fight with a shotgun goes thru a full mag tube then well things have gone bad
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:06:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Buckshot, slug, mag turkey load duplexed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#34]
If SHTF so bad that I am grabbing my shotgun, 8 rounds of reduced recoil 00 buck, chamber empty with a side saddle holding 2 powerball slugs and 6 more rounds of 00 buck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:15:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Being I can't have an AR for defense here I keep a Mossberg 590 loaded with #7.5 birdshot... it'll fuck up soft flesh without punching through walls to my neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:16:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Being I can't have an AR for defense here I keep a Mossberg 590 loaded with #7.5 birdshot... it'll fuck up soft flesh without punching through walls to my neighbors.
View Quote

You're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:17:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Oh ok just give me an M4 and some 30 round mags. Thanks. Better add a silencer too while you're at it just to make sure I ahve the full package.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:36:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well you can, they just don't want you too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:37:35 AM EDT
[#39]
#1 Buck, Federal
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Oh ok just give me an M4 and some 30 round mags. Thanks. Better add a silencer too while you're at it just to make sure I ahve the full package.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

I won't give you one, but you can buy one.

ETA: If you don't have the mags, I can't help you. Google featureless if you want to install them in your AR. Not sure how a shotgun is more quiet than a rifle indoors.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#41]
00 buck
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#42]
#1 Buck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:02:35 AM EDT
[#43]
2.75" 00 buck.

I happen to know that it kills the shit out of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Basement/storage room shotgun has Federal Low recoil 00 buck and a side saddle full of PDX segmenting slugs. Although its highly unlikely I'll ever be anywhere in my house without another gun, I got it cheap enough I gave it a job and don't care if something happens to it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#45]
#9 birdshot, it removes meat from the bone and makes bad guys fly backward.
....I no longer use a shotgun for HD purposes, but back when I did it was 00 buck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#46]
5.56mm
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Buck and 3" black cloud or some lighter bird shot mixed in every other with a slug now and then. .

Because why? Being under the knife for HOURS getting small bb's out will be torture in itself.  Pepper em up

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Winchester 33 g #00 Buck, gives me the penetration I need from a 16" Saiga barrel.

This is essentially the mil spec buckshot load in civilian packaging, also used by FDF and Finnish Police. If it's good enough for shooting an armed felon in the head from the firing port of an APC, it's good enough for any HD situation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Birdshot at indoor distances is like a .72 caliber glazer safety slug.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#50]
No 2 turkey load

If that won't stop the bad guy there's not much else to use.
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top