Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
My earlier point being what do you want thrown into an evidence room, a $300-$500 shotgun or a $3000+ ar setup? It is not going to be taken care of or babied.

And if you think you're taking accessories off after the shooting and putting them away you're just going to rack up tampering charges too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Grow stronger ears.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inside a car with no ear pro sucks though

Grow stronger ears.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (to infinity, and beyond!)
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My earlier point being what do you want thrown into an evidence room, a $300-$500 shotgun or a $3000+ ar setup? It is not going to be taken care of or babied.

And if you think you're taking accessories off after the shooting and putting them away you're just going to rack up tampering charges too.
View Quote

prove my ACOG ECOS was on when i took the shot
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

A 300-500 dollar shotgun will have the rust resistance of an untreated iron nail at the bottom of a bucket of salt water.

Even mossbergs do not hold up that well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

prove my ACOG ECOS was on when i took the shot
View Quote

I highly doubt after using your weapon in “home defense” you’re going to peel optics and accessories off it…maybe change your underwear and that’s about it
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not a binary choice. I have a few redundant ARs set up for home defense. They cost from around 900-1300 each to build, with excellent quality parts. If they take it and I never get it back I'd be pissed, but I've been fucked over for more than a thousand bucks over things way less important than defense of my life.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I highly doubt after using your weapon in “home defense” you’re going to peel optics and accessories off it…maybe change your underwear and that’s about it
View Quote

Even non QD mounts are easy and fast to remove.

Not that i would alter a weapon used in a self defense shooting, but I could totally detail strip an AR lower before cops responded to a call at my rouse
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A 300-500 dollar shotgun will have the rust resistance of an untreated iron nail at the bottom of a bucket of salt water.

View Quote

I was gonna say, I've never had rust on an AR
but I've had plenty of surface rust on shotguns, just from sitting in a garage safe
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why are we blindly assuming these price differences?

A $500 PSA base build is still better than a $500 870 or 500, and that's about what those guns cost these days.

At the other end of the spectrum, there are guys buying Benelli M4s ($1,700?) and Beretta 1301s ($1,200?) and putting $500+ dollars in accessories on them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

but I've had plenty of surface rust on shotguns, just from sitting in a garage safe
View Quote

I had a friend who had a very old ban era Oly that he kept on his boat in SE TX. Never maintained, got wet pretty often. After maybe 15 years of that, i looked at it, and the steel bits had some surface rust. Cleaned up easy with a brass brush.

Meanwhile i have mossbergs that i have to damn near drench in oil and scrub with a brass brush every few months...
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Even non QD mounts are easy and fast to remove.

Not that i would alter a weapon used in a self defense shooting, but I could totally detail strip an AR lower before cops responded to a call at my rouse
View Quote

Haha….I’ve heard it all now…bunch of tier 1 cool as ice operators in here …”just saved my family from attackers and had to waste a few, guess I’ll pull my optics and detail strip my lower before the cops arrive”….lol (Removed, CoC-6~guns762)
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A parkerized 590 rusts the same as any m16. I've carried both patrolling in the Philippines, Hawaii, and oki and on a commercial fishing both conus.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Haha….I’ve heard it all now…bunch of tier 1 cool as ice operators in here …”just saved my family from attackers and had to waste a few, guess I’ll pull my optics and detail strip my lower before the cops arrive”….lol (Removed)
View Quote

Since you weren't paying attention, heres the Crayola deluxe pack version

That is a comment about police response times in my area. No shit i am not going to strip my lower after a home invasion. Go back and re-read what i wrote
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A parkerized 590 rusts the same as any m16. I've carried both patrolling in the Philippines, Hawaii, and oki and on a commercial fishing both conus.
View Quote

A parkerized 590 rusts a lot faster than an AR because mossberg takes a page out of IO's book of quality control.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Point me to one single example anyone has ever even been charged with this, let alone being convicted.

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Point me to one single example anyone has ever even been charged with this, let alone being convicted.

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

Go ahead. Tamper with evidence at the scene of a homicide.

No skin off my back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No skin off my back.
View Quote

Lol.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No skin off my back.

Lol.

You do know what that word means, right?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A parkerized 590 rusts a lot faster than an AR because mossberg takes a page out of IO's book of quality control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except they don't because I've been issued 590s and m16s and currently own both.(only one issued A2 upper).
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about you, but when I approach the defense of my life and the lives of my family, one of the considerations is not: "how cheaply can I do this?"

The only question should be:  "What is the absolute best tool I can use for the intended purpose?"

I personally consider the lives of my family to be priceless.  If it costs me 3k to keep them alive then I believe that's more than a fair trade.  Just me though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

Try it and find out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Except they don't because I've been issued 590s and m16s and currently own both.(only one issued A2 upper).
View Quote

The 4 590's ive had all displayed rusting issues at an accelerated rate. I have guns from ww1 that don't rust as fast as my 590 do. Ive tried everything, soaking in CLP, boesheild, hornady one shot. Nothing works. This is ignoring the other issues ive had with mossberg

Ive had a lot of AR's, including a few surplus a1 and a2 complete uppers. Compared to the 590's they might as well be blocks of titanium.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess I don't care If I lose a 200 or a 4000 dollar gun in the process of using it to continue to exist on this mortal coil.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You do know what that word means, right?
View Quote

Yes, homicide is loosely defined as the killing of another.

I could go deeper into why your point is ridiculous, but I don't care enough to. Have a great night.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I had a friend who had a very old ban era Oly that he kept on his boat in SE TX. Never maintained, got wet pretty often. After maybe 15 years of that, i looked at it, and the steel bits had some surface rust. Cleaned up easy with a brass brush.

Meanwhile i have mossbergs that i have to damn near drench in oil and scrub with a brass brush every few months...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This post just reminded me I never took my Mossberg out of its waterproof case after the last day of duck season....a few weeks ago.

Whoops....
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't know about you, but when I approach the defense of my life and the lives of my family, one of the considerations is not: "how cheaply can I do this?"

The only question should be:  "What is the absolute best tool I can use for the intended purpose?"

I personally consider the lives of my family to be priceless.  If it costs me 3k to keep them alive then I believe that's more than a fair trade.  Just me though.
View Quote

People get wrapped up in the choices they make. If i use a gun to defend myself, and I come out on top, I don't care how much it costs, or how much I'm "out". It did the job i got it for.

I have plenty of other guns that will tide me over till i get the gun back, or can buy a replacement.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This post just reminded me I never took my Mossberg out of its waterproof case after the last day of duck season....a few weeks ago.

Whoops....
View Quote

Well the receiver is aluminum,so that part might be ok...
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Try it and find out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

Try it and find out.

Ah, so what you wrote is just purely speculative bullshit. Got it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m perfectly content with my HD shotgun to protect my family..it is it's intended purpose..
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Not all HD shotguns are the same.
If I could stuff it full of mini shells it would be perfect.

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a shotgun.

My go-to for HD is a suppressed 300blk with subsonics.  I don't need to worry about my hearing and 30 shots of even subsonic 300blk is a nasty surprise for anyone.

If that's not sufficient I have a mag of supersonics handy.
View Quote

.410 wit #4 will kill you deader Dan chit at 'house range'.  Seen it done.  Messy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Pretty sure my 8 shot mossberg loaded with #1 LE buck will pretty much fuck anybodys day up. Crack shot,and I really don't believe you're gonna have a home invasion by more than 3-4 guys unless you're Tony Montana.

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The thing of it is though, we all know it doesn't cost that much to employ a 100% solid firearm into defending ourselves or others. I'd much rather turn over a Glock than turn over a firearm costing maybe 6 times as much. Still, if carrying a finely made gun makes one happy, carry it.  Just know the law will take it from you if you made a good shoot or not. You 'might' get it back.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179550/B2070120-90E1-4D0C-8645-719D6DC08459-2281382.jpg
View Quote

Ever tried SD drills with that, on a clock?

It is pure trash.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pretty sure my 8 shot mossberg loaded with #1 LE buck will pretty much fuck anybodys day up. Crack shot,and I really don't believe you're gonna have a home invasion by more than 3-4 guys unless you're Tony Montana.

View Quote

Most of GD believe they will be involved in a small invasion upon their home where plates,NV, and SBR’s will be deployed fending off waves of paramilitary units..reality doesn’t exist here
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It is pure trash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179550/B2070120-90E1-4D0C-8645-719D6DC08459-2281382.jpg

It is pure trash.

With the bird head grip yes, trash, brace or stock it’s awesome.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No skin off my back.

Lol.

A self defense killing is still a homicide.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is pure trash.

Awesome? No.

Ill grant you "pretty good"
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
AR’s are better, but a shotgun will fuck your day up in a big way. People argue 5.56/7.62x39 and 9mm/45ACP stopping power. A shotgun laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpu6XgtS02w
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

you are missing the point.

you aren't going to miss a $300-500 replaceable shotgun. whatever happens to it- it doesn't matter.

ever...
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

you aren't going to miss a $300-500 replaceable shotgun. whatever happens to it- it doesn't matter.

ever...
View Quote

If i use my AR to defend myself, i am not going to miss that either.

If i use my inherited M1 carbine? Yeah I'll miss that. I'm not going to miss one of the most mass produced rifles in the world that i can go out and immediately replace
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Whew! Glad you got her all 922r compliant.

Lethal and legal now.
View Quote

922r compliance is retarded.

At least the parts I was going to upgrade anyways (mag tube, trigger parts etc) kill 2 birds with 1 stone in also getting it "compliant"
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

ever...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ever...

A $500 shotgun is different than a $500 AR in this regard... how exactly?
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The 4 590's ive had all displayed rusting issues at an accelerated rate. I have guns from ww1 that don't rust as fast as my 590 do. Ive tried everything, soaking in CLP, boesheild, hornady one shot. Nothing works. This is ignoring the other issues ive had with mossberg

Ive had a lot of AR's, including a few surplus a1 and a2 complete uppers. Compared to the 590's they might as well be blocks of titanium.
View Quote

Wipe your shotguns down with car wax.  No more issues at all.  (old saltwater duck hunting trick)
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII
View Quote

People tamper with gun evidence all the time and catch a charge for it.  It's pretty common in fact for gangbanger murders. I've seen a tampering charge upheld where the guy rinsed his SKS off in the shower. (Blood and brain matter on the barrel and stock)
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wipe your shotguns down with car wax.  No more issues at all.  (old saltwater duck hunting trick)
View Quote

Ill have to try that, thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

People tamper with gun evidence all the time and catch a charge for it.  It's pretty common in fact for gangbanger murders. I've seen a tampering charge upheld where the guy rinsed his SKS off in the shower. (Blood and brain matter on the barrel and stock)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

Obviously we were talking about self defense or home defense shootings.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

Most people aren't stupid enough to tamper with key evidence in justifiable homicide shootings.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Most people aren't stupid enough to tamper with key evidence in justifiable homicide shootings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

That's a lot of words to say you can't come up with a single time it's ever happened.

Even though, fun topic of discussion. Say a guy justifiably shoots a home intruder and then in the 20 minutes it takes the cops to get there, he takes the suppressor, optics, lights, IR, sling, etc off his rifle. Firstly, is the investigation team even going to look at that? Second, how would they even go about collecting the evidence to prove that?

And then in an alternate scenario, what if the above guy puts his $6k rifle back in the safe and gets out a $300 BCA junker that's been sitting in his safe uncleaned since the last range day. Same questions- are they even going to care enough to look into it in a justified home defense shooting, and then are they even going to be able to come up with enough evidence to charge the guy, let alone get a jury conviction?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#50]
This topic has degraded into the most far fetched nonsense ever.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top