Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/22/2020 8:15:47 AM EDT
It takes me about 4 hours to push mow, weed eat, and blower my entire yard, but I only have to do the whole thing two or three times during grass season.
Usually spot mow the thick parts in hotter weather as lots of my yard is shady.
I also have to mulch or rake up the whole yard in winter, which takes a lot of effort.
My current mower is old and is starting to give up, so I may look into buying a new one.
Anyway, is a rider overkill for me?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have lots of obstacles to cut around, ya probably a zero turn.  1/2 acre, you don't need a 60" commercial mower.  Rule of thumb, it should only take about 2 hours to cut your lawn.

A 48" Husqvarna or Cub Cadet from a big box store should serve you well.  

Me, lots of trees, about 3 acres to mow. I use a Gravely ZT60 with 24hp Kawasaki engine.  Not quite commercial grade like a Skag but the Gravely is very well built for my use.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Neither. Pay someone to do it an awful lot of times for what a new mower costs.
Edit, if you're in DFW I have a great condition low hours Husqvarna ztr for you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have trees and other obstructions in your yard, I would get the zero turn, if it's all open area, the rider will work. I wish I would have bought the zero turn.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Id say anything over 1/4 care is prime for at least a rider. Maybe not a zero turn, but definitely a rider. Get what you want, though, if your budget can afford it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Rider with the bagger attachment in the rear. Thank me later. What state are you in? Do you get a lot of fall leaves?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Zero turn with smaller deck.  Maybe a 36” cut?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a lot of trees.
Not sure if I want a Home Depot mower though, as I'm tired of junk.
Do the premo brands not make a smaller commercial grade mower?
I've also considered buying a good mower just in case I lose my job, that way I can at least try and get a little money by mowing lawns.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rider with the bagger attachment in the rear. Thank me later. What state are you in? Do you get a lot of fall leaves?
View Quote

I live in Arkansas, and yes, shitload of leaves.
Can take months to rake burn, mulch, etc if the weather is nasty, windy, or we have burn bans.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Kubota z122R, It’s great
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do they even make them that small?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#12]
You say your lot is shady, so are there a lot of small tress or just a few large ones, and how level is it?
If there's a lot of trees, go with a zero turn.
If there's just  few large trees, a conventional rider is less expensive.
If your lawn is hilly, make sure the ZT you select can handle it. Some can get a bit squirrely on steep hills.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've got a lot of trees.
I've also considered buying a good mower just in case I lose my job, that way I can at least try and get a little money by mowing lawns.
View Quote

Sounds like a zero turn for you. Look for a local dealer, JD, Kubota, etc. They would have equipment on site for you to check out and demo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
34” Exmark
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#15]
A rider should be fine for a 1/2 acre.

I do 4-4 1/2 acres with a Deere E140.

Getting a ZTR in the next month or two.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got a lot of trees.
View Quote

Then get a small Kubota or Simplicity tractor with a mowing deck.  This way you can offer more services with attachments for small lawn owners.  Two weeks ago I was searching high and low for someone that had a small tractor for moving some stump grindings and leveling.  Had to do it by hand.  Even had a guy offer me his full size tractor but the area was just too damned small.  
Keep in mind a trailer and a truck to pull it.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#17]
The answer is always zero.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Op I have a JD x300.  Its the basic riding mower that only dealers sell.  Better engine, transmission,  and warranty.  I cut a little less than 1/2 acre and it is fine.  Plus, if I need to hook a yard trailer to it I can.  You arnt supposed to do that with zero turns.
View Quote

The transmission isn't better. It's a K46 just like most box store mowers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You say your lot is shady, so are there a lot of small tress or just a few large ones, and how level is it?
If there's a lot of trees, go with a zero turn.
If there's just  few large trees, a conventional rider is less expensive.
If your lawn is hilly, make sure the ZT you select can handle it. Some can get a bit squirrely on steep hills.
View Quote

Got maybe twenty full grown oak and hickory trees, and a handful of smaller trees to mow around.
My yard is on a mild slope, but I don't see it being a problem with a zero turn.
There may be a five feet difference in grade in about 50 yards or so as there is a like in my back yards.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL - GD will always try to talk you into buying a lot more than you really need. For anyone who actually read the OP, it would really be hard to justify anything more than the cheapest push mower you can find.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Thread is relevant. I am in the same boat as op except I have to mow every week in the summer.

My crappy Honda is crappy and doesn't mulch for shit. I too would like a nice ride on, currently know jack shit about them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#23]
1/2 acre? Regular riding mower will be just fine. No need to spend that much on a zero turn.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Op I have a JD x300.  Its the basic riding mower that only dealers sell.  Better engine, transmission,  and warranty.  I cut a little less than 1/2 acre and it is fine.  Plus, if I need to hook a yard trailer to it I can.  You arnt supposed to do that with zero turns.
View Quote

You need to go up to the x370 to get the better transmission. $5,000+.

OP, in the same boat as you. Here's what I learned:
Cub Cadet ZT2 is best bang for your buck in the zero turn. It has serviceable transmissions and is $3700.
Cub Cadet GX50 is the best bet for tractor style. Serviceable HD transmission. Only downside is that it is a Kohler 7000 and not a Kawa engine. $3600.

The ZT2 comes with the same transmission and engine (Zt2800 and Kawa FR) as every other prosumer grade ZT (Gravely, Raptor, Exmark, Scag) I have checked.

Anything under these and you are getting the same shitty K46 transmission in the tractor and the EZT 2100/2200 series in the zero turn. Husqvarna 348/354 are the exception until you realize the frame for these are 22lbs of sheet metal.

Another thing to look at is the cost of the accessories. $700 for a side bag, and $1000 for a rear bagger unit on the prosumer grade stuff isnt uncommon. I just priced out the ZT2 with bagger at $4100 vs the SCAG at $5700.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I mow around 1 acre in about 45 minutes with a zero turn and push mover.
Use the push mover to get close around sidewalks and landscaping then speed mow the rest with the zero turn.
Have some hills that are on the edge of being able to use the rider.
The zero turn is not a mulcher and no bagging .

Will string trim the edges about once a month
Edge the sidewalks late in the fall to get ready for winter
spring fertilizer, early summer feed, late summer feed, fall winterizer
area spray weed killer as needed in the summer
overseed disturbed spots in the fall

shred 1.5 acres in the fall

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Hustler is running a sale on their smallest residential ZTR until the end of the month.   I’ve been debating getting one for my parents.

Hustler Dash 34” $1,999 or 42” $2,099.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#27]
The smaller Kabotas with a Diesel engine is what I have.  I have the mulcher kit on one of them;  it it handles heavy leaf load well. It is also locks one of the rear wheels so I can cut around a 2” pipe in one pass.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Do the math OP, and see what works for you.

I've got 3.25 acres, probably 1 acre of grass to mow. I pay someone $60/week to mow. It takes a crew of three, 45 minutes to complete. They mow, trim, and blow all of the grass off the hard surfaces. It awesome to come home from work and simply have it done, and it looks great. I never have to worry about mowing if it's wet, or I'm on vacation, or travelling for work.

As much as I'd like a new X700 series mower, I just can't justify the cost over what I can pay someone to do the job. The only other thing I'd want a tractor for is to add a plow or snow blower, but can't justify the cost of the tractor (hence another service). Add to that my time, maintenance, and storage. Maybe your math will work out differently.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I’ve had my Cub Cadet 50” zero turn for 10 years and would never go back to a traditional riding lawn mower. In fact we have a John Deere 60“ riding lawn mower at our hunting property and a lot of times I will trailer the zero turn out there because I like it so much better.

The zero turn has a Kawasaki engine on it.

Zero turn all the way! One limitation is ability to pull a trailer with a ZT. I fabricated a hitch to pull a wagon but it has its limitations.  This is a advantage that goes to a traditional riding lawn mower.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've got a lot of trees.
View Quote

.6 acre here, bought a Scag Liberty 48” 5 years ago and I love it!
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#32]
You, my friend, are in need of a Spartan Zero Turn mower.  I would recommend the 72" SRT with the Kawasaki 37hp motor.  Run you about $11700 here in Texas.  I am a dealer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a rider for 1/4 acre because it's too hot to push mow in Texas.  A bagger would help clean those leaves up much quicker also.

For the amount you mow a year I would consider paying someone.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#34]
It depends on your yard, nice thick turf and a ZT would be OK. Not so thick then a rider.

Due to a medical issue I had my "not so thick turf" yard done for me for a season. It was just fine when the guy was using a rider. Then he bought a couple of ZTs and they tore the fuck out of my yard. It's taken me a couple of seasons to get it right again.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Get a zero turn. I have a halt acre and couldn't imagine push mowing it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Hustler Z or X-ONE. 60". Don't fuck around with anything less.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Cub Cadet ZT2 is best bang for your buck in the zero turn. It has serviceable transmissions and is $3700.
Cub Cadet GX50 is the best bet for tractor style. Serviceable HD transmission. Only downside is that it is a Kohler 7000 and not a Kawa engine. $3600.

The ZT2 comes with the same transmission and engine (Zt2800 and Kawa FR) as every other prosumer grade ZT (Gravely, Raptor, Exmark, Scag) I have checked.

Anything under these and you are getting the same shitty K46 transmission in the tractor and the EZT 2100/2200 series in the zero turn. Husqvarna 348/354 are the exception until you realize the frame for these are 22lbs of sheet metal.

Another thing to look at is the cost of the accessories. $700 for a side bag, and $1000 for a rear bagger unit on the prosumer grade stuff isnt uncommon. I just priced out the ZT2 with bagger at $4100 vs the SCAG at $5700.

Hope this helps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this helps.

"22 pounds of sheet metal" is an internet meme started by 1 guy that broke his frame after trying to use a Husqvarna garden tractor like it was a compact tractor with a front bucket.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  But I have the X380 and mow an acre.  It’s been great.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm just over 1/2acre and very happy with having a 38" riding mower.   I would not want much bigger at all just due to manuverability.

Were I buying a new mower (for a small lot)  I would serious look at an electric zero turn like this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-42-in-75-Ah-Battery-Electric-Riding-Zero-Turn-Mower-RY48ZTR75/308040422
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I have about the same size yard and I use a riding mower.  Not a lot of obstacles but I still need to do a little up close work with the push mower.

If you can afford it I think the zero turn is always the better option.  If I had to do it over again I would have bought a zero turn instead of the riding.

A word of advice.  If you are going to get a riding mower then don't get a Snapper rear engine.  A few decades ago Snapper made a great little riding mower here in the US.  Now they are made in China and are cheap junk.  I have spent more in repairs on my Snapper than I did for the original cost.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#41]
1/2 acre?  Pfffft.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Rider but non zero turn for your yard.
When you start a business = upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Half Acre?  Scag Cheetah obviously.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Neither. Pay someone to do it an awful lot of times for what a new mower costs.
Edit, if you're in DFW I have a great condition low hours Husqvarna ztr for you.
View Quote

This.  If you insist on doing it yourself, get the zero turn if you have money to burn.  Otherwise get a rider and stop wasting four hours to do your tiny lawn.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Nothing less than a kubota grand L with a 12 ft batwing bush hog.

50k aught to get that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#46]
How valuable is your time?
That’s really the only question IMO. Zero Turn wins every time
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You, my friend, are in need of a Spartan Zero Turn mower.  I would recommend the 72" SRT with the Kawasaki 37hp motor.  Run you about $11700 here in Texas.  I am a dealer.
View Quote

I was going to recommend a Hustler Super 104. Spartans’s are nice though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#48]
4 HOURS with a push mower? Damn.  A rider with 48” would serve you well and knock that down to maybe an hour/1&1/2 hrs.  A zt of same 48 will likely drop you to 20-25 min. What’s your time worth?   I’d suggest renting a ZT and see how you like it.  It’ll take about 20 min to stop wobbling in your cut line while you get used to how nimble and quick responding they are. On my land I went from 2&1/2 hrs with a rider down to 45 min with a ZT of the same width.  

Yep they’re more expensive. Decide what your time is worth.  

Btw. A ZT will literally spin around in one place and the inside tire will scrub your grass if you don’t learn the 3 pt turn.  They’re also kinda fun to run.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#49]
OP, I would just go buy a JD 130 to 180 and mow your 1/2 acre.  If you want a residential-grade ZTR, buy it instead.

If you end up starting a mower business down the road, only then invest two times more money in a commercial zero turn.

Right now, you don't 'need' a commercial grade ZTR mower for 1/2 acre or even an acre.  Unless you got money to burn.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you have lots of obstacles to cut around, ya probably a zero turn.  1/2 acre, you don't need a 60" commercial mower.  Rule of thumb, it should only take about 2 hours to cut your lawn.

A 48" Husqvarna or Cub Cadet from a big box store should serve you well.  

Me, lots of trees, about 3 acres to mow. I use a Gravely ZT60 with 24hp Kawasaki engine.  Not quite commercial grade like a Skag but the Gravely is very well built for my use.
View Quote

2 hours?  30 minutes is about as long as I can stand to be on a mower.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top