Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was the best pic I could find to demonstrate what happens when the general populace has unrestricted access to everything......

The people in this thread saying their rights are being infringed because they can't buy breaching charges cash-and-carry OTC are , or have recently been, smoking crack

This aint the 1920's anymore when you went with grandpappy to the hardware store to buy dynamite to blow a few stumps
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that’s Liberia, possession of that RPG (and nearly any other sort of repeating firearm) is very illegal.
It was the best pic I could find to demonstrate what happens when the general populace has unrestricted access to everything......

The people in this thread saying their rights are being infringed because they can't buy breaching charges cash-and-carry OTC are , or have recently been, smoking crack

This aint the 1920's anymore when you went with grandpappy to the hardware store to buy dynamite to blow a few stumps
And that same argument you just used for explosives are used by anti gunners  about firearms...

Do you not see the connection or parallel?...
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Did they require a government permission slip?
View Quote
To be  a lawful Privateer? Absolutely
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not talking about firearms......

I give up.....you guys are right....

I fully support your right to walk around with a fucking fully semi automatic assault rifle block of Semtex in your pocket everywhere you go......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think unrestricted access to firearms is why those countries went to shit?
I'm not talking about firearms......

I give up.....you guys are right....

I fully support your right to walk around with a fucking fully semi automatic assault rifle block of Semtex in your pocket everywhere you go......
Your mindset is not far off from anti gunners...
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about to be an armed merchantman?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hard to create a stable government when you have a 1000 different "militias" armed to the teeth ready to challenge any attempt to have some sort of normal government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id wager that has a whole lot more to do with corrupt and tyrannical governments than dudes with AKs.
Hard to create a stable government when you have a 1000 different "militias" armed to the teeth ready to challenge any attempt to have some sort of normal government.
We have plenty of guns here.  What's keeping us from being an unstable shithole with a 1000 different militias?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You're vastly over-estimating the numbers in armament available to Privateers during the War
14,872 guns amongst 1700 ships amounts to an average of 8 guns per Privateer.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/navy/privateer.htm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize that many merchant vessels were armed even if not engaged in war, right?

They might have only had 12-20 guns or so, but they were still armed for self-defense. Those ships, their crews, and their owners didn't need permission to arm them, ONLY to use them offensively.
You're vastly over-estimating the numbers in armament available to Privateers during the War

Okay but that is still more than "zero guns"
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
You’re missing the point.

Practically all of your 3rd-World shitholes where you can trade a chicken for an AK have cripplingly draconian restrictions on legal private firearms ownership.

Laws only regulate the behavior of the lawful.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Smoke, OC, flashbang, and stinger grenades should be legal and non-regulated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He purposely missed my point.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize that many merchant vessels were armed even if not engaged in war, right?

They might have only had 12-20 guns or so, but they were still armed for self-defense. Those ships, their crews, and their owners didn't need permission to arm them, ONLY to use them offensively.

1700 ships for a population of maybe 600-700k? Sounds like 1 in 100 people should be armed to the teeth.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#11]
This thread is further evidence that this is not actually a pro second amendment site.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Nvm, don't want another bullshit lie retribution for pointing out the truth warning.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Realist.
You guys internalize your own desire to have this stuff and in your world view you apparently see only you or good guys possessing it
I look at the reality of who would actually be in the ownership pool if it was unregulated.
I can just imagine what home invasion robberies would look like if this stuff was available OTC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

racist much?
Realist.
You guys internalize your own desire to have this stuff and in your world view you apparently see only you or good guys possessing it
I look at the reality of who would actually be in the ownership pool if it was unregulated.
I can just imagine what home invasion robberies would look like if this stuff was available OTC
And you fail to realize the far worse horror that is an oppressive over-reaching government, restricting arms to its people based on popular vote by people who think "I don't need X" means "Nobody needs X."
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you're being obtuse; I just stated that many, if not a majority, of merchant-vessels were armed. I will qualify that statement with the appellation of "ocean-going", as many coastal vessels would not need to be armed.

The fact is, no government at the time would object to a privately-held vessel being armed, and a Letter of Marque is only relevant when discussing offensive operations.

Privateers and Pirates are the only classifications that would include privately-owned warships, however the fact they were armed is not what gets them that classification. The manner in which they use those arms in the determining factor.

Having a 40-gun ship was not illegal, but using those guns to seize someone else's property was. No reason or justification was necessary for the acquisition of the ship or guns, just money. No permission or license was necessary, as it was incredibly common, if not ubiquitous, to arm your vessel for defensive actions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This thread is further evidence that this is not actually a pro second amendment site.  
View Quote
To be fair it’s 84.46% pro 2A site
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Then your expectations are unrealistic
We can't lock bad guys up forever.
The death penalty is a shrinking option for even the most heinous of crimes.
Society is literally filled with people who shouldn't have access to "whatever the fuck they want".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Project much?

Freedom is freedom. I want every citizen who isn't in prison to be able to own whatever the fuck they want.
Then your expectations are unrealistic
We can't lock bad guys up forever.
The death penalty is a shrinking option for even the most heinous of crimes.
Society is literally filled with people who shouldn't have access to "whatever the fuck they want".
Fine. Leave me out of it to defend myself (from whoever and however I want).

I have the sole responsibility to protect myself. I have it individually as part of the people guaranteed arms without infringements by the Second Amendment.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Here’s a thought, no object no matter how trivial or dangerous should be illegal to posses.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And you're being obtuse; I just stated that many, if not a majority, of merchant-vessels were armed. I will qualify that statement with the appellation of "ocean-going", as many coastal vessels would not need to be armed.

The fact is, no government at the time would object to a privately-held vessel being armed, and a Letter of Marque is only relevant when discussing offensive operations.

Privateers and Pirates are the only classifications that would include privately-owned warships, however the fact they were armed is not what gets them that classification. The manner in which they use those arms in the determining factor.

Having a 40-gun ship was not illegal, but using those guns to seize someone else's property was. No reason or justification was necessary for the acquisition of the ship or guns, just money. No permission or license was necessary, as it was incredibly common, if not ubiquitous, to arm your vessel for defensive actions.
View Quote
You posted a number, I simply posted a source that backs up my earlier claim that many privateers were at best minimally armed
AS the link I posted pointed out, the colonies were forced to use Privateers to achieve their goals because they couldn't afford to man and equip a comparable number of vessels themselves
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
BS.

Don't get on a high horse and proclaim that if you don't tow the absolutist line then you not "pro second amendment".

The founding fathers themselves would end up disagreeing for decades on interpreting what the Constitution did and did not do.

Having a different opinion on the outer reaches of the second amendment does not make you "anti' second amendment.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

BS.

Don't get on a high horse and proclaim that if you don't tow the absolutist line then you not "pro second amendment".

The founding fathers themselves would end up disagreeing for decades on interpreting what the Constitution did and did not do.

Having a different opinion on the outer reaches of the second amendment does not make you "anti' second amendment.
View Quote
It means that you don’t understand what the 2nd Amendment was suppose to prevent: the disparity of force between the people and the government, guaranteed by law.  NFA 1934 de facto made exactly that happen.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not small arms.
edit: this is pretty normal training stuff for SWAT teams
View Quote
Crazy question.

What is that material called that is inside of small arms that oxidizes super rapidly to produce a ton of super heated gasses in a short amount of time?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes.

I'm not real comfortable with it, but that's liberty.  And just because I'm not comfortable with it doesn't mean that those who are should not be able to buy it, it just means that I wouldn't.  Because that's how rights and liberty work.
View Quote
This. The more I think about it, the more apparent this answer becomes.

My concern is the dipshits that live in the cities. But then again, freedom be scary, yo.

Demolition is a fuckton of fun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It means that you don’t understand what the 2nd Amendment was suppose to prevent: the disparity of force between the people and the government, guaranteed by law.  NFA 1934 de facto made exactly that happen.
View Quote
Thanks for the history lesson.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You posted a number, I simply posted a source that backs up my earlier claim that many privateers were at best minimally armed
AS the link I posted pointed out, the colonies were forced to use Privateers to achieve their goals because they couldn't afford to man and equip a comparable number of vessels themselves
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be the Provisional Government. There were hundreds of merchant vessels that were available, they just couldn't afford to compensate the owners and hire/purchase the vessels. Privateers had to be compensated as well; Prize money had to come from government coffers.

I can recommend some decent titles on the evolution of naval warfare in the 17th and 18th Centuries, if you'd like? Alternately the Annapolis Naval Institute Press has some excellent articles on the difficulty our early Navy had with acquiring vessels or the cooperation of privately-owned armed vessels.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is your ignorant interpretation. Find a court that agrees with you. Explosives are not arms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All armaments are considered arms under the 2A.
That is your ignorant interpretation. Find a court that agrees with you. Explosives are not arms.
"All the terrible inplements of a soldier."

If explosives aren't a weapon, then what the fuck is? This ain't about what some robed jackass thinks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That would be the Provisional Government. There were hundreds of merchant vessels that were available, they just couldn't afford to compensate the owners and hire/purchase the vessels. Privateers had to be compensated as well; Prize money had to come from government coffers.

I can recommend some decent titles on the evolution of naval warfare in the 17th and 18th Centuries, if you'd like? Alternately the Annapolis Naval Institute Press has some excellent articles on the difficulty our early Navy had with acquiring vessels or the cooperation of privately-owned armed vessels.
View Quote
Privateers made their money by selling the contents of the ships they were raiding. Pure profit motive.
You're right about the government being unable to compensate the owners of the Privateers, which is why they relied on the incentive of profit to encourage the Privateer owners to engage in their activities.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If Jamal is a felon he shouldn't have access to any firearm. Same with Tom, Dick and Harry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The exact same argument can be made for an AR15.

the is no acceptable reason for Jamal as you say to own an AR15.

An acceptable reason is the unwritten threat of don't become a tyrannical government and we wont use these things against you, or another would be dont invade America and we wont use this stuff against you.

Both of those are acceptable arguments.
If Jamal is a felon he shouldn't have access to any firearm. Same with Tom, Dick and Harry.
Okay. Don't transfer them a firearm. Next?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Privateers made their money by selling the contents of the ships they were raiding. Pure profit motive.
You're right about the government being unable to compensate the owners of the Privateers, which is why they relied on the incentive of profit to encourage the Privateer owners to engage in their activities.
View Quote
Since you avoided my first question....did merchants require government permission to arm their boats?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The government paid their Captains and crew the same way, they just skimmed some off the top first.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thought it would be about the German police (at the request of the Dutch ) blowing up the door of some suspected terrorists this morning.

https://www.tubantia.nl/enschede/opgepakte-personen-in-gronau-hebben-banden-met-islamitische-terroristen~a35ba785/

Guess the Baghdadi splattering caused some shitbirds to reschedule FO time

https://images2.persgroep.net/rcs/RJTehfkmvvOkCKeH34jnEvyEOFY/diocontent/159504897/_fitwidth/694/?appId=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&quality=0.9

Eta yes it is protected as you never know when you need to go a'breeching
View Quote
I'm nominating you for 'Honorary Texan' status.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
BS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS.

Sure.  I guess you can think you are pro-second amendment if you believe that it secures your right to have an over and under for duck hunting.

It doesn't make you right....or even really pro-second amendment for that matter.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Smoke, OC, flashbang, and stinger grenades should be legal and non-regulated.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Keep it up.
You keep failing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"the right of the people (except black people) to keep and bear Arms, as long as they're for good, constructive or self-defense purposes, shall not be infringed"
Keep it up.
You keep failing
FUCKING LOL
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

BS.

View Quote
If you don't, you're not pro-2nd Amendment. You're pro whatever the government thinks you should be able to have.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Since you avoided my first question....did merchants require government permission to arm their boats?
View Quote
No, but you're not going to be able to compare then to now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We have plenty of guns here.  What's keeping us from being an unstable shithole with a 1000 different militias?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id wager that has a whole lot more to do with corrupt and tyrannical governments than dudes with AKs.
*Raises hand

Maybe standard of living, lack of vastly corrupt governments that imprison and kill political prisoners/a group of people?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
You seem to be....
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You seem to be....
View Quote
I'm not the one using the practice of privateers 240 years ago to justify anyone being able to own any munitions system their hearts desire today
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm not the one using the practice of privateers 240 years ago to justify anyone being able to own any munitions system their hearts desire today
View Quote
The people aren’t supposed to required to justify being able to own anything.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the Living Constitution? Thanks for outing yourself, yet again.

In case you didn't get it:
There's very good reason the Second amendment reads "arms" and not "muskets".
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old "living document" view of the Constitution.  A pillar of liberal politics that allows a person to completely discard the parts of our founding document they deem irrelevant without bothering to amend it.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#44]
You guys forget that you CAN easily buy explosives, grenades , tanks, pt boats, heavy machine guns, submarines, warships, etc.  Just a year wait and $200 tax on each one, and cash to pay for the item. In the case of machine guns the price is artificially inflated, a m4 rifle that cost uncle sam $500 bucks costs me $25,000.  If I had lottery money, I could own a fully operational tank with full load out, c130 gunship, m4 with grenade launcher, cases or grenades, mines, c4 by the pallet, etc

Gov might have a argument if the items were totally illegal, because they are so terribly dangerous, but they are not illegal,  as it is though, they are just unavailable to poor people. Which is part of why we have the constitution, to give rights and opportunity to EVERYONE, not just the rich and connected, partly so we can defend ourselves from them if needed.

We are slowly losing those rights though, the second amendment, first amendment, property rights etc, all watered down each year over common sense bullshit, that's unconstitutional as fuck. If you can't add taxes, fees, back ground checks to voting, and free speech, then you can't to the second amendment.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sure.  I guess you can think you are pro-second amendment if you believe that it secures your right to have an over and under for duck hunting.

It doesn't make you right....or even really pro-second amendment for that matter.
View Quote

Are you trolling?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Letter of marque was a hunting permit, not a gun permit.

Edit- spelling
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not...could it be over regulation and crossing the line as to what government powers should be
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Is it really such a ridiculous notion that the founding fathers intended the citizenry to have the same access to arms as law enforcement....given the fact that they intended the 2a to be a limit on the government's power?

If you don't believe the citizenry should have access to any and all arms available to those that could pose a domestic threat, then you have no understanding of the Second Amendment or it's intention.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You guys forget that you CAN easily buy explosives, grenades , tanks, pt boats, heavy machine guns, submarines, warships, etc.  Just a year wait and $200 tax on each one, and cash to pay for the item. In the case of machine guns the price is artificially inflated, a m4 rifle that cost uncle sam $500 bucks costs me $25,000.  If I had lottery money, I could own a fully operational tank with full load out, c130 gunship, m4 with grenade launcher, cases or grenades, mines, c4 by the pallet, etc

Gov might have a argument if the items were totally illegal, because they are so terribly dangerous, but they are not illegal,  as it is though, they are just unavailable to poor people. Which is part of why we have the constitution, to give rights and opportunity to EVERYONE, not just the rich and connected, partly so we can defend ourselves from them if needed.

We are slowly losing those rights though, the second amendment, first amendment, property rights etc, all watered down each year over common sense bullshit, that's unconstitutional as fuck. If you can't add taxes, fees, back ground checks to voting, and free speech, then you can't to the second amendment.
View Quote
You actually can't buy grenades, you can make one though. But it's explosive power would probably be limited compared to modern grenades ( though probably still lethal).

While you can easily buy explosives (at least one type only), grenade launchers, tanks, PT boats, rocket launchers/recoil less rifle/launcher etc. Buying/making their ammo like grenades, and warheads are verboten unless you have an FEL and jump through all their hoops.

It's not real easy to get a new barrel for an RPG7 or carl gustav. (I wouldn't trust a re-weld) (though I know some RPG 2 tubes were being sold )
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
The first thing that gives away an anti-gunner is when they say "I support the Second Amendment...BUT..."

You pretty much either support the Second Amendment as written or you don't.

If you don't support it as written, you're just weakening the rest of us.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top