Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
1. OP's premise is complete bullshit.

2. OP's  "civilian" alphabet must be some kind of joke.

3. OP's military alphabet is actually the ICAO alphabet used by pilots, radio operators, etc. (As mentioned by many previously.)

4. Everyone should use the standardized ICAO alphabet instead of random words to communicate letters when understand is important over the phone or radio. I tought it to my mother. She has found it useful.

5. OP;

6. Page 6 ownage.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I do it all the time.  Being clear isn't ever wrong, disrespectful, or inconsiderate
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the military phonetic alphabet on a daily basis...  sometimes for my last name because letters sound similar, but mostly because I spit VINs for a living...  I'm not repeating 17 characters more than once..  ain't got time for that
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If I hear someone using the military phonetic alphabet, I demand to see their DD214.  If they fail to produce one I place them under citizen's arrest for stolen valor.

Keep up the good fight OP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone should use the military phonetic alphabet.

The other one with apple, or adam, or whatever other gay shit people make up sounds stupid as fuck.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I hear someone using the military phonetic alphabet, I demand to see their DD214.  If they fail to produce one I place them under citizen's arrest for stolen valor.

Keep up the good fight OP.
View Quote
I just execute them.

I do the same for people who went to trade school and call themselves engineers without having passed the P.E.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Lima Oscar Lima.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
M as in Mancy...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The military phonetic alphabet is the only one that should EVER be used.

It is specifically created to be clear without ambiguous interpretations even under noisy conditions.

All civilian versions of the phonetic alphabet are retarded to one degree or another.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All your military are belong to us.
View Quote
What you say?!

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually get irritated when they don’t.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:And who besides the police use the "civilian" alphabet?
View Quote
I used to fly and I used the ICAO alphabet which NATO adopted because the aviation community had done extensive research on what worked and what didn't.

Firefighter's of my acquaintance use the ICAO alphabet.  My son's Boy Scout troop used it as well.

I guess only cops still use the WW II alphabet.  Speaks volumes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stolen voweler.
View Quote
That’s funny. It almost makes up for OP’s retardation.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have often used the military phonetic alphabet on the phone at work, and I'm as civilian as it gets. I have shit hearing and it seems many of the people I deal with do as well. The phonetic alphabet certainly sounds more professional than "C as in cat, U and in Ubiquitous" etc.

At my last job I actually had a small printout of the NATO phonetic alphabet taped by my work computer so I didn't forget some of the more rarely used letters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#15]
You should humiliate him in a youtube video.

Can't have these verbal imposters dishonoring the armed branches.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#16]
FAA uses same phonetic alphabet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am glad your life is so good that you have time to worry about this.
View Quote
Boy Zebra just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Does he grunt, "HU-ah!" when he's signing off?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You do realize that the phonetic alphabet isn't only a military thing, right?
View Quote
I think this thread answers that question.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1. OP's premise is complete bullshit.

2. OP's  "civilian" alphabet must be some kind of joke.

3. OP's military alphabet is actually the ICAO alphabet used by pilots, radio operators, etc. (As mentioned by many previously.)

4. Everyone should use the standardized ICAO alphabet instead of random words to communicate letters when understand is important over the phone or radio. I tought it to my mother. She has found it useful.

5. OP; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JohGniYph-c

6. Page 6 ownage.
View Quote
Re: 2.   That’s the phonetic alphabet used by most civilian police departments.  My department uses Boston and Young instead of Boy and Yellow.

It’s pretty funny on a military deployment to hear civilian cops using the civilian alphabet, and then most of us take a little while to stop using the military  version after we return to our civilian PD jobs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nato standard, aviation, boating, law enforcement, fucking useless indian tech support even uses it.

It's pretty much the world standard when communicating in English.
View Quote
OP being elitist. OP fails.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Foxtrot Papa November India.

It is always used officially in ham radio, although there is a 'DX' alphabet based around geographic locations. America, Boston, Canada through Zanzibar

As a kid I learned the WW2 alphabet and I occasionally slip into that for certain festive occasions like working WW2 memorial ships  or trying to locate Japanese holdouts.

ITUDXDX Alternative
AAlphaAmericaAmsterdam
BBravoBostonBaltimore
CCharlieCanadaChile
DDeltaDenmark
EEchoEnglandEgypt
FFoxtrotFranceFinland
GGolfGermanyGeneva
HHotelHonoluluHawaii
IIndiaItalyItaly
JJulietJapanJapan
KKiloKilowattKentucky
LLimaLondonLuxembourg
MMikeMexicoMontreal
NNovemberNorwayNicaragua
OOscarOntarioOcean
PPapaPacificPortugal
QQuebecQuebecQueen
RRomeoRadioRomania
SSierraSantiagoSweden
TTangoTokyoTexas
UUniformUnitedUruguay
VVictorVictoriaVenezuela
WWhiskeyWashington
XX-RayX-Ray
YYankeeYokohama
ZZuluZanzibarZulu
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lima Oscar Lima.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#24]
OP,
Maybe co-worker is trying to steal civilian valor since your so-called military alphabet has been the standard civilian radio operators and civilian aviation alphabet decades before it was adopted by the military and is still used by them today.

Just because the military uses something doesn’t mean the military owns it.

Police are the only radio operators I know of who use that retarded “list of my friends” alphabet.

ICAO was created by and first used by civilians. The military is borrowing it from us.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Yellow Edward Sam
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Everyone should use the military phonetic alphabet.

The other one with apple, or adam, or whatever other gay shit people make up sounds stupid as fuck.
View Quote
always

be

closing
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Non mil guy checking in.

Same alphabet is used in civilian aviation, which I grew up around.

I’ll rattle off my alpha bravo charlies and not think twice beyond getting my American Airlines confirmation of whatever communicated.
View Quote
This.

When a grown ass man says B, as in boy, shit done got weird.   'No, I'm almost 40 years old.  B as in fuckin' Bravo'.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The military phonetic alphabet is the only one that should EVER be used.

It is specifically created to be clear without ambiguous interpretations even under noisy conditions.

All civilian versions of the phonetic alphabet are retarded to one degree or another.
View Quote
Civilian police departments can’t use it.  GD bitches enough about cargo pockets being militarization of the police.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I used to fly and I used the ICAO alphabet which NATO adopted because the aviation community had done extensive research on what worked and what didn't.

Firefighter's of my acquaintance use the ICAO alphabet.  My son's Boy Scout troop used it as well.

I guess only cops still use the WW II alphabet.  Speaks volumes.
View Quote
Cops usually use the civilian version in the OP.  It’s not the WWII version.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#30]
You know how stupid a civ coming over the radio on a government installation sounds.

I need to verify apple Debbie Glock saxaphone tomahawk dragon

Literally it's like a psychiatrist please just say the first thing that comes to mind.....

So yes I'm a civ and use military phoenetics.

Never served, spent my first 16 years on base with mil folks, and the last 5 with the again as a contractor.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#31]
How about when some guy who was in the army 30 years ago continues to say things like "sixteen hundred hours" instead of just saying 4 o'clock.

I get it.  Somewhere, sometime in the past, some dumbass missed his directions by an entire 12 hours due to being an idiot.  In the real world, when you work in an office from 8 to 5, there should never be any confusion of which 4 o'clock we are talking about.   If EVER we are scheduling something at 4am, it will be well known.  If ever I say "we'll meet in the board room at 4" and somebody shows up at 4am, they are retarded.

Notice how I referred to working in an office from 8 to 5, but did not specify am or pm?  If you got confused, you are retarded.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How about when some guy who was in the army 30 years ago continues to say things like "sixteen hundred hours" instead of just saying 4 o'clock.

I get it.  Somewhere, sometime in the past, some dumbass missed his directions by an entire 12 hours due to being an idiot.  In the real world, when you work in an office from 8 to 5, there should never be any confusion of which 4 o'clock we are talking about.   If EVER we are scheduling something at 4am, it will be well known.  If ever I say "we'll meet in the board room at 4" and somebody shows up at 4am, they are retarded.

Notice how I referred to working in an office from 8 to 5, but did not specify am or pm?  If you got confused, you are retarded.
View Quote
We actually had this issue. Two peeps were trying to meet for the gym. Dude said ok 5 o clock she goes see ya then.

She's there at 0500 and he's there at 1700.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Even the NATO phonetic alphabet? I am not talking about the civilian phonetic alphabet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do realize that the phonetic alphabet isn't only a military thing, right?
Even the NATO phonetic alphabet? I am not talking about the civilian phonetic alphabet.
I didn't even know there was a civilian version till this thread. It sure helps in avoiding mistakes. I used to work for a company that used it all the time for the internal support line. It came in handy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#35]
We use them at work, it’s kind of necessary.

A lot of people use alternative ones though, apple, dog, etc.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am glad your life is so good that you have time to worry about this.
View Quote
Pretty much. Congrats OP you are blessed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I hate when I forget the right phonetic words.

Uhhhh. MELVIN ANCHOR NARNIA NINER THREEVE OPOSSSM DUNESBERRY SEVEN.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#38]
When I went certed Colorado POST in '95 they were teaching a variant of what you're calling civilian, only with Young instead of Yellow. When I left in '06 there were some agencies talking about moving to the ICAO/Mil version to meet FEMA's standards for IC. I don't know whether CSP switched over or not. If they did they probably took the rest of the state with them. Unless they've changed it to S is for Stoner by now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a guy in the office, not really a stolen valor guy but he definitely wears camo outside of the office.

He is sorta autistic when it comes to military and history stuff. So I kinda just think he is a militaria buff and dont think much of it.

However  when on the phone with customers and going over catalog numbers and sales numbers, its all military phonetic alphabet. There are times where I swear he is calling in air support or an artillery attack.

No one else in the office has issues speaking with customers and none of us need to rattle off sierra, foxtrot zulu all day, not sure why he does. I feel like this is confusing to customers, especially those that have no idea whiskey  tango foxtrot he is talking about.

ETA....going to add the civilian vs military phonetic alphabet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58463/27e0f11f3f6aeb9ba4897ea3a5e80f4f-965328.png
View Quote
Considering the "military" phonetic alphabet is the one recognized as the official phonetic alphabet by the ICAO and FAA, I would say that civilians are perfectly fine using the "military" phonetic alphabet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hate when I forget the right phonetic words.

Uhhhh. MELVIN ANCHOR NARNIA NINER THREEVE OPOSSSM DUNESBERRY SEVEN.
View Quote
Lmao
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Foxtrot Papa November India.

It is always used officially in ham radio, although there is a 'DX' alphabet based around geographic locations. America, Boston, Canada through Zanzibar

As a kid I learned the WW2 alphabet and I occasionally slip into that for certain festive occasions like working WW2 memorial ships  or trying to locate Japanese holdouts.

ITUDXDX Alternative
AAlphaAmericaAmsterdam
BBravoBostonBaltimore
CCharlieCanadaChile
DDeltaDenmark
EEchoEnglandEgypt
FFoxtrotFranceFinland
GGolfGermanyGeneva
HHotelHonoluluHawaii
IIndiaItalyItaly
JJulietJapanJapan
KKiloKilowattKentucky
LLimaLondonLuxembourg
MMikeMexicoMontreal
NNovemberNorwayNicaragua
OOscarOntarioOcean
PPapaPacificPortugal
QQuebecQuebecQueen
RRomeoRadioRomania
SSierraSantiagoSweden
TTangoTokyoTexas
UUniformUnitedUruguay
VVictorVictoriaVenezuela
WWhiskeyWashington
XX-RayX-Ray
YYankeeYokohama
ZZuluZanzibarZulu
View Quote
I prefer those DX multi syllable ones (Zanzibar).  Much easier to pick up one the first pass with a tenuous contact.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#43]
This is well on the way to becoming an epic thread.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lima Oscar Lima
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is well on the way to becoming an epic thread.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#46]
OP must not be around aviation much...

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP must not be around aviation much...

View Quote
Only as a passenger.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#48]
If you are in a situation it makes sense to use the phonetic alphabet fuckin use it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Its like complaining that people who aren't firefighters have a water hose, or people who aren't in the DMV have inch long fake fingernails
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Able
Baker
Charlie
Is military.

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Is the phonetic alphabet for international transportation that the military has adopted as well.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top