User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did anyone make a STOLEN VOWEL joke yet?
View Quote
Yes.  A few pages back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Civilian phonetic is stupid. We use military phonetic and *gasp* military time at my job even by non veterans.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy who sold me my last gun used it when talking to he ATF on the phone.
I asked him if he was ex-mil and he said no.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a guy in the office, not really a stolen valor guy but he definitely wears camo outside of the office.

He is sorta autistic when it comes to military and history stuff. So I kinda just think he is a militaria buff and dont think much of it.

However  when on the phone with customers and going over catalog numbers and sales numbers, its all military phonetic alphabet. There are times where I swear he is calling in air support or an artillery attack.

No one else in the office has issues speaking with customers and none of us need to rattle off sierra, foxtrot zulu all day, not sure why he does. I feel like this is confusing to customers, especially those that have no idea whiskey  tango foxtrot he is talking about.

ETA....going to add the civilian vs military phonetic alphabet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58463/27e0f11f3f6aeb9ba4897ea3a5e80f4f-965328.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We actually had this issue. Two peeps were trying to meet for the gym. Dude said ok 5 o clock she goes see ya then.

She's there at 0500 and he's there at 1700.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about when some guy who was in the army 30 years ago continues to say things like "sixteen hundred hours" instead of just saying 4 o'clock.

I get it.  Somewhere, sometime in the past, some dumbass missed his directions by an entire 12 hours due to being an idiot.  In the real world, when you work in an office from 8 to 5, there should never be any confusion of which 4 o'clock we are talking about.   If EVER we are scheduling something at 4am, it will be well known.  If ever I say "we'll meet in the board room at 4" and somebody shows up at 4am, they are retarded.

Notice how I referred to working in an office from 8 to 5, but did not specify am or pm?  If you got confused, you are retarded.
We actually had this issue. Two peeps were trying to meet for the gym. Dude said ok 5 o clock she goes see ya then.

He dodged a bullet there.  Morning people are just not right.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't use the NATO phonetic alphabet because I haven't been in the military?  Golf foxtrot yankee.

I also use 24-hour time with 0-prefix because I work with computers that use 24-hour time.  Come at me, bro.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about when some guy who was in the army 30 years ago continues to say things like "sixteen hundred hours" instead of just saying 4 o'clock.

I get it.  Somewhere, sometime in the past, some dumbass missed his directions by an entire 12 hours due to being an idiot.  In the real world, when you work in an office from 8 to 5, there should never be any confusion of which 4 o'clock we are talking about.   If EVER we are scheduling something at 4am, it will be well known.  If ever I say "we'll meet in the board room at 4" and somebody shows up at 4am, they are retarded.

Notice how I referred to working in an office from 8 to 5, but did not specify am or pm?  If you got confused, you are retarded.

Imagine if either of them had said "meet me at zero five hundred".  If any woman wants to meet me at zero anything hundred, I'm out.  Not getting involved with that mess.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Of all the things to concern yourself with you picked this one?
View Quote
Meanwhile on liberalforum:

Should not black folks be allowed to say axe instead of ask?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LMAO, I'm going to start using some of those at work, just to fuck with people.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/3CbAxSp.jpg

If you don't use the NATO phonetic alphabet, you end up with confusing shit like this.
LMAO, I'm going to start using some of those at work, just to fuck with people.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because its the correct thing to do?  Its a skill every man should have.  I hate it when people try to say things like: "B, as is Babushka" ,  "C, as is Clarinet", now THAT sounds annoying.  Just about everyone I know uses correct phonetic alphabet code; anything else is just plain ignorant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a guy in the office, not really a stolen valor guy but he definitely wears camo outside of the office.

He is sorta autistic when it comes to military and history stuff. So I kinda just think he is a militaria buff and dont think much of it.

However  when on the phone with customers and going over catalog numbers and sales numbers, its all military phonetic alphabet. There are times where I swear he is calling in air support or an artillery attack.

No one else in the office has issues speaking with customers and none of us need to rattle off sierra, foxtrot zulu all day, not sure why he does. I feel like this is confusing to customers, especially those that have no idea whiskey  tango foxtrot he is talking about.
Because its the correct thing to do?  Its a skill every man should have.  I hate it when people try to say things like: "B, as is Babushka" ,  "C, as is Clarinet", now THAT sounds annoying.  Just about everyone I know uses correct phonetic alphabet code; anything else is just plain ignorant.
Yeah, this.  IMO everyone should learn it.  Also, I work for a defense contractor, so a lot of the people I work with are ex-mil.

I've talked with people who were trying to read something to me, and said something like "'P' as in, uhh... umm... 'P' as in... uhhh..."

Jeebus man, "Papa!"  And can you really not think of another word that begins with "P"?  Not knowing a standardized phonetic code just makes you look dumb.

I've also talked to people who were confused, for some inexplicable reason, by the phonetics, and said "Can you just say the letter?"

"OK, 'M'."

"N?"

"No, 'M' as in 'Mike'."

Jeebus, man.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Alpha Velveeta Knuckle Underwear, you are cleared for take-off. When you hit that nuclear weapons plant... drop a bomb for me!

Uh, Sphincter Mucus Niner Ringworm, roger!

Hot Shots! (5/5) Movie CLIP - In for a Landing (1991) HD
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Seriously?  Yes it's fine.  More than just the military use it.

IIRC, the phoenetic alphabet we're familiar with today found most of its orgins in the International Civil Aviation Organization (or whatever it was called in the 20's / 30's).

Anyone use this yet?  lol
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 6/2/2019 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Back when I was installing DirecTV you had to use the NATO alphabet to read SNs on some hardware. You're welcome for my service.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Back when I was installing DirecTV you had to use the NATO alphabet to read SNs on some hardware. You're welcome for my service.
View Quote
I would say that this qualifies you for veteran status and the free complimentary breakfast at Bob Evans on Veteran's Day.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Medical is mostly in 24 hour and even uses the standards. Because M as in mancy equals Jim’s dead. On a serious note 24 hour is used in most medical records system and nato standard is also because it’s civilian. Man, stolen valor? that’s just funny, you have too much time on your hands or just prone to get offended. Get a hobby and leave the offended BS to liberals.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#18]
M as in Mancy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
M as in Mancy.
View Quote
Auto correct is a bitch lol
Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:How about when some guy who was in the army 30 years ago continues to say things like "sixteen hundred hours" instead of just saying 4 o'clock.
View Quote
I used to work with a guy who had never been in any service but liked to give the time in "bells" but he didn't understand "bells."   Three O'Clock and he'd announce "Three bells!"  Seven O'Clock would be "Seven Bells!"  One day I tried explaining "Bells" to him and he just look at me with a blank look, blinking.

He went back to doing it his way so every time he'd announce the "bells," I'd correct it. He never did learn.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#21]
OP is too worried about bullshit.
Civilians can do any thing they want. After all, they paid for it.

my company uses 24 hr time and the military spelling all the time. big fooking deal.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You do realize that the phonetic alphabet isn't only a military thing, right?
View Quote
This!!!

What is your malfunction?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:I'm sure somebody has mentioned it already, but I'm positive you're required to use the Military/NATO standard phonetic alphabet in the aviation industry per FAA regulation,
View Quote
ATC has to follow the rules but I think that GenAv can get a bit loosey-goosey.    I used to fly out of an airport where Disney planes were flying in and out on a somewhat regular basis.  They'd announce themselves on UniCom as "Citation One Two Three Mickey Mouse."  Everyone knew what they meant and it mad us smile.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen voweler.
This may have been the single greatest response in the history of GD.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen voweler.
That was an awesome post. @cjk1 deserves a beer for that.

Cheers

Link Posted: 6/2/2019 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Wears camo outside the office....well, that settles it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked with a gal who did fitness competitions (Physique). Trained 2 times daily. 2nd workout was after late shift, b4 bed, usually hitting the 24hr gym at about 4-5 a.m. People she hung out with who also competed did similar.

P.S.

As stated numerous times, NOT using the NATO phonetic alphabet, is just retarded.  It's not just military, and if everyone learned it, it would eliminate the "N as in, uh... uh..." BS.

I tend to go slow when using it though, as there's a distinct difference between ex-Mil folks, vs regular Joes. Ex-mil take pride in being able to rattle off the NATO phonetic alphabet as fast as they can say it (and are used to translating it when heard at those speeds).

Regular Joes, even folks who know the NATO alphabet aren't used to hearing it rattled off at 250mph.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The guy who sold me my last gun used it when talking to he ATF on the phone.
I asked him if he was ex-mil and he said no.
View Quote
Did you report him?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Whiskey
Hotel
Oscar

Golf
India
Victor
Echo
Sierra

Alpha

Foxtrot
Uniform
Charlie
Kilo
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's only weird if he also says tree, fowr, fife, niner and gets pissed when people ask him to "repeat" himself.
View Quote
Had a math teacher in high school who used "fife"for five. They were merciless to him over that shit because he said it in an odd way.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Had a math teacher in high school who used "fife"for five. They were merciless to him over that shit because he said it in an odd way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only weird if he also says tree, fowr, fife, niner and gets pissed when people ask him to "repeat" himself.
Tree fitty
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top