Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/28/2021 12:07:38 PM EDT
With SA bringing back the hi-power, would there be a market for the Luger in a similar guise, or is it obsolete and irrelevant? I would guess it would be complex and expensive to manufacture, but the SA P35 costs less than I expected. What do you guys think?

I have never fired one, but always liked the looks. I don't even know anyone who owns one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m in for a PSA Luger
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

Also, classic submachineguns. I want my semi Sig MKPO damnit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Broomhandle Mauser please.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m in for a PSA Luger
View Quote

So, you don't want it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely.

As long as it’s aesthetically the same I don’t even care if parts a interchangeable or not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Bring it back only if you don't care about losing money on every copy.  It's irrelevant today to all but collectors and collectors will mostly want the real thing for the price you would have to charge for a new one..
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
sure, they should come back so people can see how much they suck and why they're no longer made
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
You should do it OP.

Just like the locals in my area that are always asking "why don't we have an organic eatery?" or "Why don't we have a (fill in the blank)?"

Best answer is,  if you feel there is a profitable market for it,  seek out the investors and make it happen.

Best of luck in your new endeavor.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
As already mentioned, it would be too expensive to manufacture. Guns in the Luger’s day, and the Luger in particular, needed a lot of really precise machine work done by hand. Remember, the Wehrmacht didn’t replace the Luger because it was a bad gun or they didn’t like it, it was just too expensive in comparison to other short recoil automatic pistols.

3D printing could and probably will eventually make reproductions of guns like that more economically viable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Bet it cant be done for under $1k.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want one to shoot get a 70s interarms one or get a mixmaster shooter.
I have shot my 1938 Mauser and it shot well and was accurate.
Lugerman in Pa has recreated the .45 luger but they are insanely expensive and unless he has one sitting on the shelf you will be waiting a loooong time for him to complete another batch.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As already mentioned, it would be too expensive to manufacture. Guns in the Luger’s day, and the Luger in particular, needed a lot of really precise machine work done by hand. Remember, the Wehrmacht didn’t replace the Luger because it was a bad gun or they didn’t like it, it was just too expensive in comparison to other short recoil automatic pistols.

3D printing could and probably will eventually make reproductions of guns like that more economically viable.
View Quote

Do a P38/P1 clone then.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Lugers were thought to be too expensive to produce @$38. back in the 30's.

That's from my poor memory of a Forgotten Weapons episode.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Modern CNC machines completely remove the need for expensive hand fitting.

It’s not that a Luger can’t be made profitably, it’s that the machine could be making other products that are more profitable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's the reason, combined with the fact that demand would NOT be very high.  The Luger is a neat design, but it's obviously not practical as a modern gun, so the people who value it for the nostalgia will still want an old/original one.

I do remember seeing a mock-up (or CGI?) of a "modern" Luger, which looked pretty badass.  Someone will probably post it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would guess it would be complex and expensive to manufacture,

That's the reason, combined with the fact that demand would NOT be very high.  The Luger is a neat design, but it's obviously not practical as a modern gun, so the people who value it for the nostalgia will still want an old/original one.

I do remember seeing a mock-up (or CGI?) of a "modern" Luger, which looked pretty badass.  Someone will probably post it.

There is no way to make a cheap Luger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
With SA bringing back the hi-power, would there be a market for the Luger in a similar guise, or is it obsolete and irrelevant? I would guess it would be complex and expensive to manufacture, but the SA P35 costs less than I expected. What do you guys think?

I have never fired one, but always liked the looks. I don't even know anyone who owns one.
View Quote
No. The Luger only looks cool, but was a terrible design mechanically. Get a Ruger Mk 1 instead with the slim barrel. The latchlock was horrible.

Europeans don't know shit about handguns, and the the Luger Po8 was an officers dress sidearm for show, mostly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do a P38/P1 clone then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do a P38/P1 clone then.

But why? P-1s are available for between $500-$600, usually less out in the wild..

Common code/year shooter Nazi P-38s...Under 1K.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Modern CNC machines completely remove the need for expensive hand fitting.

It’s not that a Luger can’t be made profitably, it’s that the machine could be making other products that are more profitable.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Stoeger made a stainless one in the 90's. It didn't last.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I've never been one for firearms that I don't have a real use for (my 300blk "pistol" being the one exception)...  but I want a Luger.

A solid matching one with an original leather holster...  a shooter, not a wall hanger, though.

Now to decide if I want to spend the 3-4k for such a beast.

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#23]
no offense to DK.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’m in for a PSA Luger
View Quote

It's coming out right after the mp5.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ruger Wrangler
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do a P38/P1 clone then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do a P38/P1 clone then.

I mean you could do that affordably, there’s just not a market for it. P1s and even Wehrmacht P38s are still relatively affordable and they don’t have the mystique of something like a Luger or Broomhandle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make that $2K for a base model.

Way too many machining operations.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in a few groups with Hakan Spuhr and have seen some of his work. Lugers are things that take a lot of love and attention to detail but they definitely can be made with modern materials and machines.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#31]
If you simply must needs have one, and have the coin, I'm sure you can have someplace with the requisite CNC 3d printing and machining capability run you off one. More likely than awaiting a production run. You will soon discover how much it sucks as a usable handgun design, but it's your money.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Figure out how to convert a Ruger MKIV, would have to be blowback, probably not possible, but something I have rolled around in my head.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Polymer with a light rail and RMR mount and I'm in!
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I’m in for a PSA Luger
View Quote

PSA would tell you that they are making a Luger then leave you hanging for an eternity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Slave labor is getting too expensive these days..
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lugers were thought to be too expensive to produce @$38. back in the 30's.

That's from my poor memory of a Forgotten Weapons episode.
View Quote

This.  And that was with the advantage of huge factories tooled up for volume production and relatively cheap labor.  A modern repro would cost more than originals in excellent condition and few people would actually buy one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't think that's even possible, unless you were going to mount the RMR in front of the action.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that's even possible, unless you were going to mount the RMR in front of the action.  

Scout Luger?

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drill and tap the barrel?  Sweet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Family bring back from World War One

tiny sights

goofy steampunk operation means you really know when it’s empty

feeds and shoots XTP JHP handloads like butter (Dillon XL650/powder check system)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’m in for a PSA Luger
View Quote

Probably
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I mean you could do that affordably, there’s just not a market for it. P1s and even Wehrmacht P38s are still relatively affordable and they don’t have the mystique of something like a Luger or Broomhandle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do a P38/P1 clone then.

Come to think of it about the only scene in a movie I saw a P-38 in use was by Kruger in Cross of Iron....I'm sure there are others but it's the only one that comes to mind.

About 4:20:

Cross of Iron - Russian Infantry Attack
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#46]
NO........
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

lol

It's okay to not know what you are talking about.  You don't have to post and let everyone know.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Europeans don't know shit about handguns ...

lol

It's okay to not know what you are talking about.  You don't have to post and let everyone know.  

I didn't mean to imply that there haven't been some nifty handguns designed and produced in Europe, but the PO8 Luger wasn't one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#48]
FA Kalashniluger
Attachment Attached File

Kalaschnikow Luger - Full Auto Test No. 1 www.waffen-werle.de

Luger M4 Carbine - Full Auto Test with 50 rounds

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#49]
"Should someone bring back the Luger....? "

Yes. Right after they bring back the crossbow.

lol....nothing wrong with collecting old guns. I've got a P-38 myself.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I carried a P.08 for a while - really, the low capacity was the only practical disadvantage.

The original wood grips are fragile, though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top