Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/2/2018 7:01:15 PM EDT
Dear. Lord.

Bone spur removal with bonus!  bicep tendon repair and partial tear rotator cuff repair (with callogen patch)

Pain meds aren't touching it. Ice machine en route.

Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep..ice is the key...
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry man...  This is what happens when you spank it too much.  Pass your lesson on!
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember to take your next pain pill dose 45 minutes early to allow it to take effect before the previous dose wears off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Big +1 on the ice therapy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What meds they giving you? Percocet and ice did the trick for me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Dilaudid is the pain med you seek.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh - stay ahead of the pain med constipation otherwise you'll be trying to pass pineapples.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Most painful night of my life.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dear. Lord.

Bone spur removal with bonus!  bicep tendon repair and partial tear rotator cuff repair (with callogen patch)

View Quote
I had my tonsils out last week. Got to spend my 32nd bday in agony. Apparently they were massively embedded so I got a bunch of stitches.

The good news is my mouth and throat hurt so bad that I feel no pain from sinus surgery!

Good luck with your shoulder, I’ll tip back some liquid oxy for you
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I had no idea it hurt this much.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The docs probably told you to make sure your are thoroughly hopped up on percocet before the nerve block wore off.

Been there, done that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay on you pain meds,DO NOT LET THEM LAPSE. A couple nice bags of frozen peas to rotate in the freezer. Been there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
What meds?

If you have a traditional ice pack, mix in some rubbing alcohol so it only freezes to slush.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
They didn't set you up with the morphine balloon?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I needed 3 surgeries after a bad wreck, everyone said the shoulder was going to make me hate life, that it is one of the worst..So the plan was the neck fusion first, then as soon as the doc cleared me the shoulder, then finally the wrist...No one ever said a damn thing about the neck fusion..Holy cow, the shoulder was simple compared to the neck..I layed on the floor of my daughters apartment for 5 days after the neck wondering if I was going to live for another 1-2 hrs at a time..after 5 days I finally started feeling just horrible...the shoulder was cake compared to the neck..
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#16]
ouch!sorry man!
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stay on you pain meds,DO NOT LET THEM LAPSE. A couple nice bags of frozen peas to rotate in the freezer. Been there.
View Quote
Naw, he wants the ice pump fuck frozen peas....
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.  I had one of the Game Ready ice units.  Worked wonderfully.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I needed 3 surgeries after a bad wreck, everyone said the shoulder was going to make me hate life, that it is one of the worst..So the plan was the neck fusion first, then as soon as the doc cleared me the shoulder, then finally the wrist...No one ever said a damn thing about the neck fusion..Holy cow, the shoulder was simple compared to the neck..I layed on the floor of my daughters apartment for 5 days after the neck wondering if I was going to live for another 1-2 hrs at a time..after 5 days I finally started feeling just horrible...the shoulder was cake compared to the neck..
View Quote
I've had my shoulder done, removed almost 3/8" of my collar bone to get all the arthritic nastiness out, and a 2 level fusion in my neck.

The shoulder was way worse.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I had an umbilical hernia repaired about a week and a half ago.  Loritab did nothing for me.  I can imagine how bad shoulder surgery would suck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#21]
My hip replacement was easily the worst pain I have experienced, but the worst was BEFORE surgery not after.

OP, as others have noted, keep on top of the pain with meds.  Hopefully you have been given an adequate supply of strong enough stuff i.e. strong opioids.

Once you get it under control, start reducing your dosage as soon as possible.  Running out and having withdrawal symptoms would not be pleasant.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Man I feel your pain.  I had shoulder surgery last November. Thankfully when the surgeon went in my rotator cuff was not torn so he did a Acromyplasty which was not as invasive as rotor cuff repair.  However, 10 months later and I am still having shoulder issues.  I have been in physical therapy on and off much of this year and have really only been pain free 3-4 months since my surgery.  I go back tomorrow for another follow-up with my Ortho doc and fear I will be looking at either another surgery or possibly a second opinion if this doc cannot figure out why my shoulder is still so fucked up.

ETA as others have stated.  Ice helps me sometimes to take the edge off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Been there. It hurts for a while
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My hip replacement was easily the worst pain I have experienced, but the worst was BEFORE surgery not after.

OP, as others have noted, keep on top of the pain with meds.  Hopefully you have been given an adequate supply of strong enough stuff i.e. strong opioids.

Once you get it under control, start reducing your dosage as soon as possible.  Running out and having withdrawal symptoms would not be pleasant.
View Quote
I have done both. With the hip i was walking in hours. With the shoulder i wantes them to amputate when the block wore off

That shit SUCKSSSS
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#25]
You screwed up on your timing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#26]
So I fell about a month ago and had some minor pain that as of lately has turned into a pain that runs down my arm. Bad pain.
Pain that seems to last about 15-20 seconds before it slowly goes away.
Worse than when I broke my femur/ankle.
If I raise my arm, sneeze, tension the shoulder in any way. Any ideas from the minds of GD? Cut if off?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a UP3, T&A, septoplasty, and turb coblation all at the same time.

Didn't compare in the slightest to the pain from my clavicle and cuff repair.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Remember to take your next pain pill dose 45 minutes early to allow it to take effect before the previous dose wears off.
View Quote
Exactly this. Get ahead of it as soon as possible. Pain pills suck but they have their uses short term.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Shit , I top all this . Last year I had rotator cuff surgery. Got infected , 3 surgeries and removed studs. 3 months ago fell going to my shop, blew out my shoulder . disconnected 6 times {4 times ER|. Surgery  
to screw it all back together. Go back to work in 2 weeks . Yes the nerve block should last 24 hrs
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Had a subchondroplasty on my ankle.  I've had 8 surgeries in the past 3 years, that one was the worst by far.  I had to go to the ER at 0200 when my nerve block wore off and the Oxy and ice wasn't touching the pain.  The ER doc put me on a morhpine drip.  Still didn't touch the pain.  Finally they gave me fentanyl.  Even that didn't eliminate the pain but brought it to bearable levels.  The fusion was a little sporty when the block wore off, but I got through it with just Oxy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Oh - stay ahead of the pain med constipation otherwise you'll be trying to pass pineapples.
View Quote
Word.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Had torn labrum, needed couple anchors and shaved some bone too.

The nerve block was one of the worst parts for me.

I looked like I had a stroke. Half my face was drooping and could barely open my left eye.

Then my hand felt like it was 4x it's size and the pins and needles sucked.

Just keep up with the pain meds and ice. My meds were 2 percs every 6 hours, but I did 1 every 3 hours the first few days. Worked a bit better.

Don't be shy to ask for more meds. You will need them when physical therapy starts.

Also, frozen shoulder is a real bitch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Buy several large bags of frozen peas. Rotate out until pain subsides. Stay on top if your meds. Stay ahead of the pain curve.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Just wait till you run out of pain meds, thanks to the war on opioids.

Curious, how many were you prescribed?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Buy several large bags of frozen peas. Rotate out until pain subsides. Stay on top if your meds. Stay ahead of the pain curve.
View Quote
Was about to post same thing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#37]
3 bone spurs cut out of my shoulder, the most painful experience I have ever had. After 3 days on meds I starting to think about something other than the pain. Doc said dont let the pain get out out ahead. He was dead right on.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just wait till you run out of pain meds, thanks to the war on opioids.

Curious, how many were you prescribed?
View Quote
The truth , if you don't need them .Don't take them , sit on them because you will need them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Ice pain meds every 4 hrs 800mg ibuprofen every 6. If the rx meds aren't working don't be afraid to call and discuss it with the dr. I'm looking at shoulder surgery myself but its WC and I really just don't want to fuck with them anymore. Good luck
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I am recovering from a colon resection surgery for colon cancer, I turned down all opiods and used tylenol drip only in my IV, two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Shoulder surgery was the worst pain I've ever been in.

How long did you get out of the block? Rotating ice on and off is going to be the key.

Quoted:
I am recovering from a colon resection surgery for colon cancer, I turned down all opiods and used tylenol drip only in my IV, two weeks ago.
View Quote
We've gotten away from any opioids for abdominal surgeries and only follow the ERAS protocol if possible. It usually works well and leads to remarkably shorter recovery times and less post-op complications
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, neck and spine fusions are fucking horrible
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. They should have given you a prescription for Colace or an equivalent along with the meds.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I had an umbilical hernia repaired about a week and a half ago.  Loritab did nothing for me.  I can imagine how bad shoulder surgery would suck.
View Quote
I had one of those fixed 3 of 4 months ago,  I'd put it at a 2,   my knee repair ( x3 ) at a 4 or 5 and the 3 days waiting for them to plate my collar bone at a 7,   Cluster headaches ( which I haven't had in a few years thankfully ) are a pure fucking eat a bullet agony 10.

Stick with the ice OP,  it helps a lot.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#45]
best thing i did was not have my rotator cuff surgery.

Rehab type exercises on my own and I've been back to benching 225 and 180 dumbell presses w/ zero pain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This. They should have given you a prescription for Colace or an equivalent along with the meds.
View Quote
My doc does,  I double up on the dosage for those,  I'd rather have a little soft serve than passing a baseball.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Wait til you try to sleep...
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dilaudid is the pain med you seek.
View Quote
This. im or iv. One injection and the next day pain will be manageable
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Also, frozen shoulder is a real bitch.
View Quote
I had both shoulders freeze. One a little over a year after the first. Physical
therapy was an interesting experience. Strange having nice women causing
pain. Had to have surgery on the last as it wasn't cooperative. Basically he
did some weed eating in there. Those girls had fingers of steel. Once I was
asked about how I got some bruising. I told her it was from her.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dear. Lord.

View Quote
Hopefully it's this one.

I'm five weeks past a born spur/rotator/labrum repair and biceps tendon relocation, sitting here with ice on now.

I was off pain meds in about 5 or 6 days, been icing several times a day and taking prescription naproxen since then.

You should get some relief in about a week, hang in there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top