Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SPOILER ALERT
That stupid, irrelevant subplot of the Mexican alien smuggling organization and especially that scumbag teenage alien smuggler was boring and had nothing to do with the main story. Instead of coming back at the end and offering to "train" the punk, he should have come back and terminated him for attempting to execute him.
View Quote
SPOILER CONTINUED

Was he offering to train the punk?  I saw it as he was seeking revenge (punk went from arrogant to crapping himself) to an extent and would probably kill the punk since he seemed to have immersed himself more deeply with gang lifestyle as evidenced by his tattoos.  Killing wasn’t a certainty, just probable after interrogation.  Basically keeping true to his motivations.  His character was entirely revenge/vigilante driven but constrained by the big picture.

Then again I’m probably borderline autistic and don’t pic up on many social clues.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
SPOILER CONTINUED

Was he offering to train the punk?  I saw it as he was seeking revenge (punk went from arrogant to crapping himself) to an extent and would probably kill the punk since he seemed to have immersed himself more deeply with gang lifestyle as evidenced by his tattoos.  Killing wasn't a certainty, just probable after interrogation.  Basically keeping true to his motivations.  His character was entirely revenge/vigilante driven but constrained by the big picture.

Then again I'm probably borderline autistic and don't pic up on many social clues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SPOILER ALERT
That stupid, irrelevant subplot of the Mexican alien smuggling organization and especially that scumbag teenage alien smuggler was boring and had nothing to do with the main story. Instead of coming back at the end and offering to "train" the punk, he should have come back and terminated him for attempting to execute him.
SPOILER CONTINUED

Was he offering to train the punk?  I saw it as he was seeking revenge (punk went from arrogant to crapping himself) to an extent and would probably kill the punk since he seemed to have immersed himself more deeply with gang lifestyle as evidenced by his tattoos.  Killing wasn't a certainty, just probable after interrogation.  Basically keeping true to his motivations.  His character was entirely revenge/vigilante driven but constrained by the big picture.

Then again I'm probably borderline autistic and don't pic up on many social clues.
Yeah, I didn't see him coming back to train up the Soldito, but perhaps to put him on another path, the kid was already emoed out from shooting Alejandro.

If he wanted to erase the kid he wouldn't have walked into a public place with cameras all over the place, he would have left him dead in the desert like a cartel hit and never been caught or associated with it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
It was ok. I think it would have been better received if the trailer didn’t make it seem like it was going to be totally different movie.

I was expecting to see the CIA and Alejandro take the fight to the cartels and Muslim terrorists in a big way.  Instead we just get a little kidnap the kid and blame it on someone else thing. Pretty underwhelming storyline.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think SDOTS is good but it omits the part of the story where Alejandro crosses back into the US after his ordeal. We know he's cool and can do stuff but we're forced to use our imaginations when it comes to how he got home.
View Quote
Ummmmmmm it's clearly not too fucking hard to get across the border.  I mean look around.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It was ok. I think it would have been better received if the trailer didn’t make it seem like it was going to be totally different movie.

I was expecting to see the CIA and Alejandro take the fight to the cartels and Muslim terrorists in a big way.  Instead we just get a little kidnap the kid and blame it on someone else thing. Pretty underwhelming storyline.
View Quote
It focused on daddy issues. Should have just used an all stripper cast.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't think either one was that great.

Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:06:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never been ambushed at 15m by multiple 240s but I dont think you can just gofer out and shoot the gunner like that... In my mind there would be a lot more bullet hose to the face.  Again, never been in that situation though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:11:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, I didn't see him coming back to train up the Soldito, but perhaps to put him on another path, the kid was already emoed out from shooting Alejandro.

If he wanted to erase the kid he wouldn't have walked into a public place with cameras all over the place, he would have left him dead in the desert like a cartel hit and never been caught or associated with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER CONTINUED

He could also turn him, get some intel and let the cartel deal with him when they find out.  The only camera would be an iPhone in that scenario.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You’re blaming the actor.....blame the writers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's better simply because no Emily Blunt.
100 percent this
You’re blaming the actor.....blame the writers.
Hard core lefty propaganda.   Not an accident.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First was better.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:37:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I thoroughly enjoy the kill em all scene near the end.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:43:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't watched the second one. Guess after mixed GD reviews I will need to make a determination on my own.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#14]
This movie sucks balls.  No where near as good as first movie.

Kid is a fucking punk.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:16:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ummmmmmm it's clearly not too fucking hard to get across the border.  I mean look around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think SDOTS is good but it omits the part of the story where Alejandro crosses back into the US after his ordeal. We know he's cool and can do stuff but we're forced to use our imaginations when it comes to how he got home.
Still, there should have been a return crossing scene in the movie. The story has a gap in it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He could also turn him, get some intel and let the cartel deal with him when they find out.  The only camera would be an iPhone in that scenario.
View Quote
This, which I also assumed was just the setup for the next movie.

Even if he was pissed about getting shot, we are left to speculate that maybe Alejandro needed a cat's paw within the cartel, and he probably thought he was too old (and too well known) to do it himself, so the kid who he knows is broken anyway would be an ideal candidate.

If there is a third film, we will probably see Alejandro exact further revenge, and the kid will be in there somewhere to establish that plot. What happens and how that relationship is defined (fear, loyalty, pragmatism, regret, some mixture) will be up the writers. Hopefully they do a good job, because they are working with one hell of cast.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
There were no “Time to meet God” type moments in part two. I liked it but it was definitely not as good as the first.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#18]
They should have done an origin story on Alejandro showing his family murdered and the events leading up to it and after.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They should have done an origin story on Alejandro showing his family murdered and the events leading up to it and after.
View Quote
I don't know that I could watch a little girl and her mom being tortured and thrown in a barrel of acid. I had to quit watching Narcos when they gang raped the prostitute/informant. That shit really bothers me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
You are right.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This. Goes from covert CIA war against the cartels to a movie about two kids I don’t give a shit about.
View Quote
That's my take.  Sicario was one of my favorite movies ever.

I can't ever remember what sicario ii was about
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not as Arf-savvy enough to have totally ingested and recall everything about both films. Memory fails as to which film the border crossing was, one or two, but that scene was so intense it was palpable. It might have just been my personal fear of thinking about having to defend myself from inside a thin walled tin can (a car). Cars are not cover. The only time I've ever had to pull a gun in self defense was while trapped in my car. (in that situation, he was smart enough to know that a .38 pointed at him was superior to a knife and vacated)

The guys playing the cartel members in that scene are the ones who brought it to life. The desperation in their appearance and manner. Walking dead, already. It was like they honesty believed that drawing up on highly trained/motivated/armed professionals was a much easier fate than if they failed and survived. Better to take a bullet to the noggin than the long torture session they'd get from a pissed patron.

That little no-no-you-don't head shake from the agent in glasses to the bandito he was covering was a good touch, too. You knew it would be over, right soon.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Out of curiosity, I checked the box offices this morning and I saw that these movies are making some money, although not crazy money.

The movies cost around $30 million and gross about $80 million so there's an audience for them.  If they do make a 3rd one, I think they would be better off remembering what made the first one great and do more of that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
First was better.
View Quote
Way.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought they were both awesome.

But I watch movies for their entertainment value. Not to uncover some greater introspective about myself or society, or to immerse myself in what the writer may have been trying to portray.

My take on the kid at the end is Alejandro will use him as a tool.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Sequels always seem like a challenge to do.

It is an even bigger challenge when the first movie is directed by arguably the best director working right now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
First was better.
View Quote
Much better.

Second is pretty shitty but I gave it a pass because it’s just setting up the 3rd. Hopefully the 3rd will redeem the series.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Just watched it.

Next time I get hurt really bad "Fucking Monday's!"
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I didn't think either one was that great.

View Quote
Maybe Fast & Furious movies are your thing?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top