User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope the owners of sterns and foster eat a bag of scabbed dicks daily for the rest of their miserable lives.

Suckered into buying one once, its no better than any other spring mattress, it gets indentations where you lay like the others, and the pillow top built into it means that when they come to check for a warranty due to the indentations, they lay a ruler across the top and go "nope, it touches, no warranty here."

View Quote

Never ever buy a mattress with a built in pad, as you pointed out it makes the warranty useless. Its much better and more cost effective to just add your own mattress pad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait for the new models to come in, buy an old one for half.  We did that on a sleepnumber, years ago.  We also set it up ourselves.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Mattresses are like guns, name one and it's someone's "best ever, you should get one."

The truth is you'll have to try a few to find the right one for YOU.

That being said, get a Plank.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my S&F mattress.  Best night's sleep I've ever had.

That said, there's no substitute for laying on the mattress yourself since everyone's tastes are different.  If you can do that, you're more likely to make a good choice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
We have had the most firm tempurpedic they make for 10+ year now. It is great. Have to get used to the foam holding in heat and extra-cirrucular activities are a learned art but it sleeps great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Just go retro and get a full wave waterbed
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I will add a few additional insights:

While the tempur-pedic is much better for a bad back than the Sleep Number (because of the Hammock effect), the Sleep Number is light weight and easy to move. Where as a king size Tempur-pedic is a heavy dead weight floppy monster to move.

The warranty on the Tempur-pedic is sort of useless because they measure failure based on how much height the foam has lost from level instead of measuring how much it compresses under load. The foam on a worn out Tempur-pedic will readily spring back to level no matter how worn out the foam becomes.

In sort of the same regard, your actual "sleep number" does not mean the same thing from day to day or from loaded to unloaded. For example, pumping up your Sleep number bed to 100 while you are actively laying on the bed is a softer bed than inflating it to 100 when no one is on the bed. Another example: if you set your bed to 75 on low pressure / hot day, and the next morning it is a high pressure/ cool day your sleep remote will still read 75 even though your bed is now a lot softer. If at that point you try and change your sleep number to stiffen up the bed, the remote will suddenly show a much lower sleep number setting as it takes a reading of the mattresses' current condition.

The trick to buying a temper-pedic is to buy one that is slightly stiffer than you are comfortable with and then put a goose down mattress pad on top of it.

The trick I've had to do to make my Sleep Number bed livable is to set it at 100 and place ~6inches of memory foam on top of it.  (avoid the Sleep number beds with built in memory foam). Also, if you do get a sleep number bed make sure you plug it into a good surge suppressor.
View Quote

Sleep number beds automatically adjust themselves to your number due changes in pressure caused by outside influences. It should be measured and adjusted while you are laying in bed. If you contort yourself or your wife comes over for a visit it will adjust automatically.

They call it Responsive Air.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sleep number beds automatically adjust themselves to your number due changes in pressure caused by outside influences. It should be measured and adjusted while you are laying in bed. If you contort yourself or your wife comes over for a visit it will adjust automatically.

They call it Responsive Air.
View Quote

must be a post 2016 feature, as mine behaves exactly as I described.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Purple.  And we just got a set of their sheets - pricey but wonderful.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

must be a post 2016 feature, as mine behaves exactly as I described.
View Quote

We bought ours in 2018 so maybe. We have a P6 so not sure if it is a model specific feature.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I think we have landed on Lucid. My question is how plush is plush, and how firm is firm? We both have back and shoulder issues so I think plus just the way to go.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top