User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494680/1000005310_jpg-3223490.JPG

Is this normal damage for a plane that had a chute??
View Quote

People survived that!?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

People survived that!?
View Quote

Everyone jumped out before impact. In fact, all of the pax jumped out before the pilot -- on purpose.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else start chuckling when they initially read that the pilot jumped out with a chute first?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
that can’t be true wtf

ETA

I will never fly in a privately owned small aircraft unless it’s someone I personally know extremely well. People are fucking idiots. There’s a reason most mishaps are general aviation and it’s not because they are inherently less safe than commercial or business class aircraft.

Guys have the money to buy million dollar aircraft then wanna pinch pennies, complain and do shady shit when it comes to maintenance. “Omg that cost how much? Does it really need it? Is it required by law? Can you just fix the broke one? Can you just find a used one? Nah defer it. Only fix the minimum to get it signed off. Why are you looking for extra stuff just fix what I asked. Wow you are ripping me off.”

And those are just the ones that actually bring their aircraft to an A&P. Most of them do their own “maintenance” and only pay for the required stuff (annuals, etc).

General aviation is cool and the aircraft are really fun to work on but I will never go into that sector because so many of the owners are complete dumbasses. Plus, commercial pays 100x better for about 10% of the work load.

View Quote

I prefer flying in a small private plane over commercial.

I know what kind of day I'm having. I also know that if things go horribly wrong, I have a lot more landing options than a large jet.
I may destroy the plane in the process, but that is cheap as long as I can walk away.

If things don't go horribly wrong, I can keep my own schedule and have more optiosn on what airports and cities I can go visit.

The main advantage commercial has is speed and being able to go over weather that I can't.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
that can’t be true wtf

ETA

I will never fly in a privately owned small aircraft unless it’s someone I personally know extremely well. People are fucking idiots. There’s a reason most mishaps are general aviation and it’s not because they are inherently less safe than commercial or business class aircraft.

Guys have the money to buy million dollar aircraft then wanna pinch pennies, complain and do shady shit when it comes to maintenance. “Omg that cost how much? Does it really need it? Is it required by law? Can you just fix the broke one? Can you just find a used one? Nah defer it. Only fix the minimum to get it signed off. Why are you looking for extra stuff just fix what I asked. Wow you are ripping me off.”

And those are just the ones that actually bring their aircraft to an A&P. Most of them do their own “maintenance” and only pay for the required stuff (annuals, etc).

General aviation is cool and the aircraft are really fun to work on but I will never go into that sector because so many of the owners are complete dumbasses. Plus, commercial pays 100x better for about 10% of the work load.

View Quote

Why do you call it a drill motor?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
"The pilot had been able to parachute from the plane prior to the plane crashing and was located at an hanger at the airport."

Soooo much WTF.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone else start chuckling when they initially read that the pilot jumped out with a chute first?
View Quote

I did

I can imagine a pilot consoling a bunch of freaked out passengers only to finish with "good luck!" before jumping out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes , there was some chuckles, speculation and a lot of wtf .  
Shocker the news release was anything but clear.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I finally found the story.  All the passengers had shutes and jumped before the pilot.  That ain't what was originally reported.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I finally found the story.  All the passengers had shutes and jumped before the pilot.  That ain't what was originally reported.
View Quote

Initial reports are often flawed.  I and at least one other person did a modicum of research and came up with the likely possibility that it was a jump plane and everyone departed the aircraft.  Obviously prior to it crashing.  Instead of a news person posting an worthless "news" article, they need to get some facts.

Why they all departed when they did is still the big unknown...to us.  Someone or multiple people know what happened.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:41:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:42:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Probably meant to say that the pilot deployed the onboard parachute attached to the airplane.
View Quote

Article said pilot was found at a hanger.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
This may be video of the event.  I can't tell if that is the accident aircraft and this is real footage or it is an example of what could have happened.  The more I look the aircraft with the jumper in the blue/black jumpsuit does not seem to have the unique coloration in the back half of the plane.  Plus I don't see the canopy or jumper hit the horizontal stabilizer.  The windows in the back may be different as well so this just seems to be examples of premature canopy opening...not the one in Butler.

Skydiver Strikes Tail. Aircraft Destroyed!

Here is a photo of that aircraft from the exit door side.  I doubt that someone would be hanging on the front of the strut or that the jumper would be on a main gear step and reaching onto the strut so I suspect that the segment with the jumper with the blue and black jumpsuit is in a Cessna 182 or similar.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top