Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Anyone carrying these in their 38s?

Attachment Attached File

Also.. My BIL is selling his Model 37 4” for $400. Original grips, box and paperwork. Good deal?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I would say its a great deal.

Revolvers in my AO along with any other hand gun are crazy high right now. 500-700 seems to be the avg asking price on just about everything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I could find some of those HST 38's, they've disappeared from the internet. They were one of the best performing 38's of all time IIRC and had the unexpected benefit of being insanely accurate through a lot of guns.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wish I could find some of those HST 38's, they've disappeared from the internet. They were one of the best performing 38's of all time IIRC and had the unexpected benefit of being insanely accurate through a lot of guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sorry but the .38 hsts are horrible

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry but the .38 hsts are horrible

View Quote

Well this would be the thread to hash this out.   What should we all be carrying in our .38 snubs?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well this would be the thread to hash this out.   What should we all be carrying in our .38 snubs?
View Quote

Something that at least penatrates 12" in flesh or organic gel.

Wadcutters, speer 135gr +p, remington 135gr +p, winchester 130gr +p, anything with a barnes copper bullet.

Ill carry swc or truncated +p .38s over the hst. At least I know ill get to the vitals

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there any charter arms love in the house?

Just got a spread sheet on there public safety pricing and as cheap as they are I need to buy 2 or 3.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there any charter arms love in the house?

Just got a spread sheet on there public safety pricing and as cheap as they are I need to buy 2 or 3.
View Quote
That is good to buy 2 or 3. This way you'll have one to use while the other one (or two) are in for repair.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is good to buy 2 or 3. This way you'll have one to use while the other one (or two) are in for repair.
View Quote

I know they have that stigma about them but the only 1 that I have ever handled was very nice. Granted it was a older model similar to a 36.

On the other hand out of the 3 smiths I own a newer 442 had to go back for repair due to timing issues.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#12]

That's really a cool picture.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know they have that stigma about them but the only 1 that I have ever handled was very nice. Granted it was a older model similar to a 36.

On the other hand out of the 3 smiths I own a newer 442 had to go back for repair due to timing issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you shoot the one you handled?

While reputable manufacturers sometimes have lemons pass QC, and less reputable manufacturers sometimes have good runs, why risk it? Stereotypes and stigmas exist for a reason. How many owners had Charter Arms gone through in the past 20 years.

But full disclosure: the only Charter Arms revolver I've shot was also an older model. It was a .44 special Bulldog with wood grips. It was a handfull, but it was a sweet shooter. I wouldn't hesitate to get one, IF I could shoot it first to ensure it is reliable. But I would rather risk a Taurus if I was looking budget.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't have any pics at the moment but my Ruger SP101 (9mm) is what I carry everyday.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

While reputable manufacturers sometimes have lemons pass QC, and less reputable manufacturers sometimes have good runs, why risk it? Stereotypes and stigmas exist for a reason. How many owners had Charter Arms gone through in the past 20 years.

But full disclosure: the only Charter Arms revolver I've shot was also an older model. It was a .44 special Bulldog with wood grips. It was a handfull, but it was a sweet shooter. I wouldn't hesitate to get one, IF I could shoot it first to ensure it is reliable. But I would rather risk a Taurus if I was looking budget.
View Quote

Yeah me and my best bud cut our teeth on 38 specials. I had a rusty old S&W 14-5 and he had a FEG Titan Tiger and the Charter Arms 38. The FEG was by far the biggest piece of crap. But we had fun shooting the old wheel guns. His grandfather owned a earth moving business and laid most of the sewer pipe for Atlanta back in the day. He had a 55Gal drum of broken shovels all having there handles cracked in some place. We would spike them in the ground and take turns who could knock them over first. lol The 38s were what we also learned to reload on as well. Buddy still has the Charter arms and carries it I think.

I will also say I dont intend on carry one if I do buy one. Just more of a range toy to remind me of the days of yore.

I have about 1-2K of loaded 38. And only a 638, Gp100 & Henry SS. I need something else to feed.

Attachment Attached File

This model would be less than $250
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah me and my best bud cut our teeth on 38 specials. I had a rusty old S&W 14-5 and he had a FEG Titan Tiger and the Charter Arms 38. The FEG was by far the biggest piece of crap. But we had fun shooting the old wheel guns. His grandfather owned a earth moving business and laid most of the sewer pipe for Atlanta back in the day. He had a 55Gal drum of broken shovels all having there handles cracked in some place. We would spike them in the ground and take turns who could knock them over first. lol The 38s were what we also learned to reload on as well. Buddy still has the Charter arms and carries it I think.

I will also say I dont intend on carry one if I do buy one. Just more of a range toy to remind me of the days of yore.

I have about 1-2K of loaded 38. And only a 638, Gp100 & Henry SS. I need something else to feed.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/16673_jpg-1584562.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/16673_jpg-1584562.JPG

See, I would rather pay a bit more for something with a better rep. I would get this in a heartbeat over the Charter. Or a used Taurus 85. But each his own.

ETA: but there is also the nostalgia/sentimental factor to consider also.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
See, I would rather pay a bit more for something with a better rep. I would get this in a heartbeat over the Charter. Or a used Taurus 85. But each his own.

View Quote

I had the 357 version of that gun. It was ok.

Here is my rifle snub nose. lol

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Drop this in my coat pocket when I am too lazy to wear a belt.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Underwood or Buffalo Bore 158gr SWC HP. I like +p. But they have standard pressure as well.

But once I changed tje front site on my 640 to a XS Reg Dot. I shoot 135gr Speer +p.  Shoots to the sites. I bought them because I needed ammo and my LGS had em.  Shot em and went back and got more.  

I also like the Win PDX 130s +p.  Those shot really well for me too.  

I also have a heavy 357 handload for my 92 that shoots awesome in my snub. HUGE fireball.  But quite accurate!   125gr XTP over 20sumthing grains of H110.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#22]
This one came from an NYPD guy who would get them from retiring NYPD officers .

Wadcutters work.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wadcutters, speer 135gr +p, remington 135gr +p, winchester 130gr +p, anything with a barnes copper bullet.

Ill carry swc or truncated +p .38s over the hst. At least I know ill get to the vitals

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am about to switch my Dillon 550 over from 9mm to .38 Special.

Is .38 ammo as hard to come by as 9mm right now?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That model 37 is a 3 inch.
View Quote

Aahh yup. My mistake.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#25]
There’s too many years of experience to not ask this:

Is there any real advantages to the shrouded hammer vs. bobbed hammer vs the internal hammer for a BUG?

I don’t for see any circumstances that I would take a long, deliberately aimed shot from my BUG that would necessitate the ability for single action.

The bobbed hammers seem like an interim solution.

The fully concealed hammers seem be the ticket.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's too many years of experience to not ask this:

Is there any real advantages to the shrouded hammer vs. bobbed hammer vs the internal hammer for a BUG?

I don't for see any circumstances that I would take a long, deliberately aimed shot from my BUG that would necessitate the ability for single action.

The bobbed hammers seem like an interim solution.

The fully concealed hammers seem be the ticket.

Opinions?
View Quote
If you intend to ever shoot the revolver from within a pocked, fully concealed is the only way to go. Other hammer types, including the shrouded hammers, can get pocket material stuck in between the hammer and frame. Shrouded hammers less so, but it still happens.

If you ever need to use your revolver in self-defense, it will be double action. If you have the time to cock the hammer, then you probably had other avenues that could have been pursued. Plus, if you cock the hammer, then the threat goes away, you now have a cocked, loaded revolver with a light trigger pull. You gonna try to safely lower the hammer with fine motor skills deteriorated due to adrenaline?

Also, concealed hammer revolvers tend to have better triggers the standard DA/SA revolvers because they don't have to compromise between the two.

A revolver can be shot just as accurately double action as single action, sometimes more so because, since the trigger stroke is longer, it is a "surprise" break rather then an "anticipated" break (i.e. a flinch). Also, just watch Jerry Miculek shoot. He shoots double action only.

I have always shot revolvers double action. I have only shot single action when function testing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#27]
The 442 gets carried a lot.  The 3" model 36 spends most
of its time in the safe these days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Drop this in my coat pocket when I am too lazy to wear a belt.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54097/0308E15B-1E35-4629-9DA9-CE96E55F9E09_jpe-1584594.JPG
View Quote
The mysterious revolver from Australia
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Online, yes.

I only load my own anyways

Rimrock makes great bullets and typically has the best price
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Online, yes.

View Quote

That is who I get my bullets from typically.

I am going to load up a batch for some friends.

I just got done loading a big batch of 9mm  Rim Rock 147 grain  hard cast "Outdoorsman" loads in new brass that push 1100 FPS in G34s, 1075 in G17s. After reading up on how successfully that bullet had been used in AK on bruins, and how it penetrated feet rather than inches like typical JHPs do. I figured I would give them a try.

Ends up they also penetrate car windshields too, and the pallet holding it up as well.

Pretty good stuff given our current climate of unrest. I could not afford the boutique shop stuff, so I started rolling my own, and have made a couple thousand so far.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Bought from an estate, deceased cop. 36 no dash.

Sold it a few years ago. It really had character.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/233426/image_jpeg-1584740.JPG
View Quote

Your 36-6 is a rare bird.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very rare indeed. Wish I had one
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I just got done loading a big batch of 9mm  Rim Rock 147 grain  hard cast "Outdoorsman" loads in new brass that push 1100 FPS in G34s, 1075 in G17s. After reading up on how successfully that bullet had been used in AK on bruins, and how it penetrated feet rather than inches like typical JHPs do. I figured I would give them a try.

Ends up they also penetrate car windshields too, and the pallet holding it up as well.

Pretty good stuff given our current climate of unrest. I could not afford the boutique shop stuff, so I started rolling my own, and have made a couple thousand so far.

https://i.imgur.com/YeqtqqV.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Online, yes.

Nice. Thats a pretty solid load and probably the best 9mm bullet for that job

Thats one of the reasons i started loading 255gr swc for my 1911s.

Besides woods use, people are actively fighting in the streets. I want to deny them cover
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#35]
First and only revolver. I got a great deal on it, and even though its a M85 Taurus it works great and has been 100%. I was actually able to find its date of manufacture, which on 04/09/1992.

I made some grips for it, but I didn't do as good of a job as I had wanted so I put the factory ones back on. Once I find a larger antler I'll try again.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Bonus points if anyone can identify the holster....

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Lawrence cross draw?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#38]
My old 66-1.  It's getting ivory G10 grips soon.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My old 66-1.  It's getting ivory G10 grips soon.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77166/IMG_1123_jpg-1585786.JPG
View Quote

Did you get the square butt conversion grips?

Fyi, i have checkered ivory g10 grips for a 1911 and they are hard to keep clean.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Should have looked before guessing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Did you get the square butt conversion grips?

Fyi, i have checkered ivory g10 grips for a 1911 and they are hard to keep clean.
View Quote

Nope, round.  And they're smooth.  We'll see if they don't look awful in a week!
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#42]

No idea, one of my Dads holsters from the 60’s. It fits the S&W 642.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

Wore out 4 or 5 of those uncle mikes holsters with a 36 before I got the M&P 340, wore out a couple with it.

Used the 340 to qualify for my chl, used 158gr +p’s, my right hand was only mildly bloody after 50 rds, lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought that 36-6 new many years ago.  I thought it was the best looking 36 I'd ever seen.  
Later a buddy of mine who collects S&W revolvers told me how rare it is. I could be wrong
but I think it was made one year in the black finish and one year in stainless.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I did the stag work on both.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#46]
This is my third model 60. Shouldn’t have sold my last one since it had the original box and grips. Live and learn. Picked this up this last spring. I’ll never sell another snub nose again.

@Miami_JBT

You inspired me with your thread to carry it last night to the grocery store and it’s on my hip at work right now. I was carrying my G43X but the model 60 conceals does much better for work.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/7pAVc6Y.jpg
View Quote

That’s a solid first post.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Besides woods use, people are actively fighting in the streets. I want to deny them cover
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Online, yes.

Yeah I would say those 255 SWCs are going to feel like getting hit by a dump truck!
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I bought that 36-6 new many years ago.  I thought it was the best looking 36 I'd ever seen.  
Later a buddy of mine who collects S&W revolvers told me how rare it is. I could be wrong

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just as an FYI, a Model 36 in stainless is a Model 60.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/7pAVc6Y.jpg
View Quote

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top