Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2019 10:45:23 AM EDT
I just received my annual clothing allowance, which since the USAF is transitioning to OCP, skyrocketed up to $546.

So I actually went and bought two sets and a pair of boots. I'd already had one set, belt, covers, belt, and patches.

I'll say this, these damn things make way more sense than the ABU did and as someone who started out in BDUs I'm glad to have my patches back.

What's crazy though is that in 15yrs of playing Air Force I'm now wearing my third uniform pattern
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Army:  Our new ACU sure does suck!
Air Force:  Hold my golf club.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just received my annual clothing allowance, which since the USAF is transitioning to OCP, skyrocketed up to $546.

So I actually went and bought two sets and a pair of boots. I'd already had one set, belt, covers, belt, and patches.

I'll say this, these damn things make way more sense than the ABU did and as someone who started out in BDUs I'm glad to have my patches back.

What's crazy though is that in 15yrs of playing Air Force I'm now wearing my third uniform pattern
View Quote
Those excellent OPRs aren't going to write themselves!
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Patches?

We don’t need no stinking patches...
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
So you're saying I might be finding a flood of nice Gore-Tex ABU jackets at the local milsurp joint?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Whats an OCP?  What does it look like?  Do you have an example pic?

When I retired in 1998 we were still wearing BDUs and "trailways bus driver" class A's.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember when we transitioned from cotton OD fatigues to nylon perma pressed fatigues. I can't imagine the crap you've put up with.

Does the "panty packers" (parachute unit) still sew the patches on for free?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Changing to new uniforms should cost the Service Members nothing, they should get a full allotment of clothing every time it's done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
My 8 years in the Army I had BDUs, DCU, ACU, Multicam, and my company tested different patterns before the ACU came out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]
My first two years in the army we had cotton starchies. They were a pain to maintain but damn did they look good. Then we transitioned to permanent press and they looked like shit. About that time Carter decided that berets were too elitist for us and the 82nd and we had to switch to ball caps. Special Forces got to keep theirs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had BDU's, DCU's, ACU's, ABU's and now OCP's in nearly 21 years. Its comical how much money has been wasted on this stupid shit.

This is not counting all the extra shit like different weights, boots, socks, jackets of all types etc..
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Started off with BDU's and got out around the time ABU's were mandatory, summer weight BDU's were the bees knees.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Had to take wifey to Fairchild a few days ago to get a new ID card. Lots of people in OCP.

It's going to make outstanding hunting gear, hope the AF doesn't wait too long to go to the next pattern.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought you might be NYPD and had water thrown on you twice today.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had BDU's, DCU's, ACU's, ABU's and now OCP's in nearly 21 years. Its comical how much money has been wasted on this stupid shit.

This is not counting all the extra shit like different weights, boots, socks, jackets of all types etc..
View Quote
Same.

Let’s also talk about all the Army PT and dress uniform changes the last 20 years. Generally speaking, such a waste of money.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Or there ever any tactical gains from switching uniforms and such?

Or is the main reason just because some bigwig wanted to make a change just for sake of making a change or maybe because he knew someone and was giving them a shit ton of new sales with the new uniforms?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I started with pickle suits, then the permanent press, then the Elvis collar BDU, the summer weight BDU, chocolate chips, back to BDUs, DCUs, ACUs, then OCPs.  
B uniform went from khaki, to the green shirt and A pants, but you couldn't wear the green shirt with your As, to the white shirt and blue pants where you could arrange shirt with ASUs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Laughs in Navy.

Wash Khakis, Blueberries (Aquaflage), now NWU (type 3) greenberries. Makes sense for those of use in offices and onboard ships.

And theres already talk of a new uniform, before this one has been completely rolled out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Changing to new uniforms should cost the Service Members nothing, they should get a full allotment of clothing every time it's done.
View Quote
They give you a clothing allowance for purchasing uniforms and shit. OP may be the first person I've heard of who actually used it for uniforms.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I started with pickle suits, then the permanent press, then the Elvis collar BDU, the summer weight BDU, chocolate chips, back to BDUs, DCUs, ACUs, then OCPs.  
B uniform went from khaki, to the green shirt and A pants, but you couldn't wear the green shirt with your As, to the white shirt and blue pants where you could arrange shirt with ASUs.
View Quote
My uniform journey above and don't forget the "optional" pinks and greens are coming

Blue Ash company redesigns Army uniforms for a sleek throwback to WWII
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm so glad I'll be retired before I have to buy another damn dress uniform
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Whats an OCP?  What does it look like?  Do you have an example pic?

When I retired in 1998 we were still wearing BDUs and "trailways bus driver" class A's.
View Quote
OCP is the multicam/scorpion pattern.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#22]

pic of OCPs
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the Pink and Greens are an awesome throw back, much better looking than the green "Class A", they remind me of the USMC Service Alphas (a great looking uniform).

Hopefully they stick with it longer than a few years, the constant uniform changes are out of control across the services (excluding the USMC).
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Brother has had four uniforms in the Army... BDU's, DCU's, ACU's, and now OCP.  Plus the dress uniform changes.  I suspect he won't have much choice about getting the new pinks and greens as soon as they're available since his next assignment is as an aide to a 3 star in an embassy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#25]
In the Corps your paycheck is also known as your clothing allowance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#26]
3rd..pfft cherry.
Pickle suit
Jungles
Elvis collar bdus
Side draw tab bdus
Tapered bdus
Chocolate chips.
3 color dcus
ACUs.
OCP

May a pox be on all these make these uniform decisions.

Just issue OD green OCP cut uniforms an then have operational theater specific uniforms to be issued as needed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#27]
They already made it dumb with the stacking of patches. It looks fucking retarded but everybody wants as much flair as possible
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
In my time there I never saw a clothing allowance that would buy a pair of boots.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In my time there I never saw a clothing allowance that would buy a pair of boots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or a good time in Oceanside.
With your whole paycheck.
Bi-monthly: 150..
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, all of that makes sense. They finally got it right.

I was in 04-10, started in bdus, bought a few abus.

Nothing about the ABU made sense, literally one of the most retarded uniforms ever.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think the Pink and Greens are an awesome throw back, much better looking than the green "Class A", they remind me of the USMC Service Alphas (a great looking uniform).

Hopefully they stick with it longer than a few years, the constant uniform changes are out of control across the services (excluding the USMC).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm a Marine and I love our uniforms, but I gotta admit the pink and greens are super classy. The Army should be doing everything they can to identify with the Army that won the European theater.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Huh? There's always been a clothing allowance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These days you can have supply order you new boots if yours are unserviceable. Not sure when that started though...
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Shit, the Navy is the worst of the branches when it comes to uniform changes. In 13 years we have changed multiple uniforms multiple time. It's like the top brass in charge of uniforms have alzheimers or something.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Why are the shirt pockets on an angle and do you guys actually use them?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Dude, your clothing allowance is almost as much as my net take home pay was in 1981 lol..
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it going to be like the NFL where a team gets to officially wear their old timey uniform for a game?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Seems like the government could save a lot of money if they just stuck with one uniform.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Uniform number 3?

Russell Wilson?!
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
What? I never received anything. Fuck you green weenie.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would wager you did and you didn't know it. You got it once a year. I got it from the time I enlisted in 2000 to the day I commissioned in 2007 (O's don't get clothing allowance).

It was just lumped in to your direct deposit, it would have shown on your LES.

If you were in before 2000, it may not have been a thing yet though. I'm not sure when they started it. (so I shouldn't have said there's always been one because I'm not sure when it started, but it's been at least 19 years).
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm a Marine and I love our uniforms, but I gotta admit the pink and greens are super classy. The Army should be doing everything they can to identify with the Army that won the European theater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree.

ETA:  And also the effort the US Army put into the Pacific Campaign as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Totally agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree.

Shhhh we don't like to talk about that
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why are the shirt pockets on an angle and do you guys actually use them?
View Quote
I’m not sure why they are on an angle, but I keep my wallet in one side and my note pad in the other. It’s very convenient.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Back in my day we got all our uniforms and chow free AND we were paid $13/month!
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I got lucky, joined let enough to be first graduating class of 12B’s to get UCP’s. Fucking hate that half my other issued gear is UCP though. Kicks my CDO into overdrive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
3rd..pfft cherry.
Pickle suit
Jungles
Elvis collar bdus
Side draw tab bdus
Tapered bdus
Chocolate chips.
3 color dcus
ACUs.
OCP

May a pox be on all these make these uniform decisions.

Just issue OD green OCP cut uniforms an then have operational theater specific uniforms to be issued as needed.
View Quote
What!?  You only got one type of DCUs?  Must have been the small collar version, or you'd be talking about the leisure suit larry sized version.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice to have been in reserves and guard.   DX for uniforms.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Seems like the government could save a lot of money if they just stuck with one uniform.
View Quote
The savings is in the logistics of keeping resupply on hand for one uniform in the various sizes in theatre vs 8 different armor/plate carriers, 5 different goretex rain jackets, 5 different hats/covers, boots, socks, t shirt, ECWCSII winter clothing, etc.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top