Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Going back into the Navy as a reservist definitely hurt my career, but I'm damned glad that I did it.

Money ain't everything.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only dumb people enlist, right?

99 ASVAB, retired ETCS, senior software engineer for a major defense corporation...  Completely wasted my time serving my country and getting two degrees out of it while I did it...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If she's that smart an enlistment is a complete waste of her time and potential.

99 ASVAB, retired ETCS, senior software engineer for a major defense corporation...  Completely wasted my time serving my country and getting two degrees out of it while I did it...  
Arfcom is super pro military.

Sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Seriously the ASFAB is not hard. I scored a 98.

One of the questions that I remember seeing was. "If a machinegun shoots 600 rounds per minute, how many rounds does it fire in 2 minutes"

You know what is sad. When I was at the recruiter there was a guy who failed it twice. He was stressed about taking it again.
View Quote
My AFQT was a 98 as well. The lady giving the test accused me of cheating and regraded it twice. I’d just turned 17. It wasn’t that hard.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nukes that encourage enlistment into the nuclear fields are like those old tribal women that cut young girls' clits off.
View Quote

Jesus Christ dude...
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say it depends on her college career. If she's in a STEM field of study, stick with school. Some liberal arts degree plan, and kid is uninterested/skipping class - might be worth a mention.
The Navy or any branch adds a pretty good jump start to a young persons career. And adds a bunch of cool stories to their life story.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
It's fairly unusual. If she's interested, don't let her join anything but the Air Force reserve or Air National Guard, and make sure she picks something that will let her stay in school without interruption. If she likes it, she can always change to a different MOS after she graduates. That GI bill is sweet if you play your cards right.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:42:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a 99 AFQT when I took it in 1988.  They wanted me to go nuke, but I wanted to become a Corpsman. So, I signed up for the accelerated advancement program, and got a guaranteed C school with a 6 year enlistment.   I was E-4 upon graduation of HM A school.  It was a pretty good program.  I enjoyed my time in the Navy.  Part of me wishes I'd have stayed for 20, but part of me is glad I didn't.  I'd already be drawing a retirement rather than considering retirement in 3 1/2 years.  Good part is, I "bought my time" so I get my 6 years credited onto my 20 years of FERS.  I'll retire at 20 with 26 years' time in service.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If she's that smart an enlistment is a complete waste of her time and potential.
View Quote
I met an amazing number of dumb people, at every pay grade in the military.

The people I met at the state University, students, staff and faculty, contained a higher proportion of the ridiculously dumb, and the university dumb were less likely to know they were dumb and more likely to manifest a petulant self-importance that crushed any opportunity for useful learning.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My AFQT was a 98 as well. The lady giving the test accused me of cheating and regraded it twice. I’d just turned 17. It wasn’t that hard.
View Quote
Lol.  No.

The ASVAB isn’t a test, it’s a whole series of tests, it’s proctored and controlled, there isn’t “a lady who grades it.”  You don’t get the results on the spot, and it isn’t administered by recruiters.

I think you, and the previous guy, are confusing the recruiter administered pre-tests that are given in the office.  These tests are used to forecast a general idea of what the ASVAB test taker will score, the point being to avoid all the trouble and expense of ASVAB testing some guy who will fail, and many do.  Amazingly there are many people with HS diplomas, and some with four-year degrees who fail.  If an applicant is, or has been, a community college student, that’s a huge red flag for likely ASVAB failure.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I never served but when I was in HS and college they would promise me the world if only I would sign.......
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#11]
The Navy wants smart people.  High scorers are good value recruitment targets.

I got a 98 without really trying.  Shit was easy but I also had three years of mechanical engineering under my belt.

I got offers for Nuke every week until I shipped.  They are no different than any other school that comes recruiting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually, up until this point all of the answers have been on the same page.  STAY IN SCHOOL.  If she wants to serve she can easily joint ROTC or go OCS after graduation. however, DO NOT DROP  OUT OF UNIVERSITY TO ENLIST!
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
What’s with the hate for the nuke field. Always thought they were the elite of the technical Navy. Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I scored a 97, so it can't be that difficult. The Navy tried to recruit me for Nuclear, but I wanted to join the Army. Looking back now, I was a dumbass.
View Quote
Only reason I didn't go nuke is they wouldn't guarantee my job. I wanted to be an ET, not EM or MM. So I told them to re-class me and I went conventional ET.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What’s with the hate for the nuke field. Always thought they were the elite of the technical Navy. Just curious.
View Quote
Quality of life mostly. They get paid better at re-enlistment and I’m sure nuke school looks good on a resume/engineering school application but there are other ratings with good training and more diverse demand on the outside that don’t run you like that. You’re getting the same GI Bill either way.

Choosing MA instead of nuke was an accidentally brilliant decision on my part in retrospect.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Ever hear of the scam where you take your car to the dealership for service and the salesman tells you he’s got a customer looking for your vehicle and he wants to offer you top dollar right now for your trade?

That’s what this smells like. If she’s doing well in college keep her there. Recruiters are like sleazy car salesman when they have quotas to meet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, they don’t show up at your front door when you score high enough to work motorpool.

High 90’s isn’t all that common for the ASVAB.

Scoring high gives you far more opportunities in the military.

However, fuck him, he’s a liar.
View Quote
Getting a college degree means she can be an officer instead of a grunt.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#18]
The last thing you want to do is go nuke or on a nuclear proplusion sub. Its like living in a underwater mini chernobyl---and make no mistake by what they mean being a "nuke tech" is shoveling/cleaning nuclear waste and byproduct from the reactors. You really think they would let some early-mid 20s person be a tech on a miltimillion dollar sub?

Better off even going in the army, too many health problems will be down the road. Aircraft carriers/destroyers are no better since they are nuclear proplusion as well(at least the US ones)
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, they don’t show up at your front door when you score high enough to work motorpool.

High 90’s isn’t all that common for the ASVAB.

Scoring high gives you far more opportunities in the military.

However, fuck him, he’s a liar.
View Quote
90's ? Us Fobits in Commo all had well over 100, in 2009
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The last thing you want to do is go nuke or on a nuclear proplusion sub. Its like living in a underwater mini chernobyl---and make no mistake by what they mean being a "nuke tech" is shoveling/cleaning nuclear waste and byproduct from the reactors. You really think they would let some early-mid 20s person be a tech on a miltimillion dollar sub?

Better off even going in the army, too many health problems will be down the road. Aircraft carriers/destroyers are no better since they are nuclear proplusion as well(at least the US ones)
View Quote
That's retarded.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

90's ? Us Fobits in Commo all had well over 100, in 2009
View Quote
The highest score possible for AFQT is 99.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I also had a 99 ASVAB.  Even though I am a college graduate I went enlisted because I wanted to become a Computer Technician and I did not want to go back to college and live as a starving student.  Today I am a Director of IT for a smallish SE Corporation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe the older ASVAB was different, I see it was an early version of PICAT computer based test that was graded on the spot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#24]
My last one was graded instantly, but still the max is 99th percentile.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The only place left in the military worth being in is SOCOM.

And the one place where your daughter probably won't be getting in to.

No, no and no.

Only 1% of test takers get a 99
View Quote
I need to get a 1%er patch lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My last one was graded instantly, but still the max is 99th percentile.
View Quote
They don’t use abacus’ anymore.

These threads are the best.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Maybe the older ASVAB was different, I see it was an early version of PICAT computer based test that was graded on the spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's not. The one I took in 99 is graded the same as my kids who just took it. It's impossible to get higher than 99 percentile.
You're confusing AFQT and GT or EL or one of the other sub scores.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No it's not. The one I took in 99 is graded the same as my kids who just took it. It's impossible to get higher than 99 percentile.
View Quote
fuck y'all.  I'm in the 103rd percentile.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#29]
My first time in 87 used a scantron sheet.

I fucking hate those things.

5th percentile!!!

Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only 103? This is GD you gotta pump those numbers up
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My first time in 87 used a scantron sheet.

I fucking hate those things.

5th percentile!!!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86695/86248.JPG
View Quote
Finally, a believable AFQT score
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#32]
That's a real screenshot from my NSIPS. (Navy electronic service record)

You can see what a cunning linguist I am, though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Probably not all that unusual, but it likely is pretty unusual for people who score as well as her to enlist.

I scored "99th percentile", but I'm really not 99th percentile smart. I only managed a 30 on the ACT my second try, but the tests are pretty different.  The ASVAB is pretty easy and I wanted to enlist, so I actually tried.

I'm guessing most people just don't care when they take it and do poorly.

As for your daughter, she's an adult and apparently fairly bright. It's her decision to make. You can throw it out there if you think it would be good for her, but I wouldn't press her either way.

I enlisted as soon as I hit 18, may parents did NOT want me in the military, especially as  a grunt, mostly just didn't want to see me go/worried.  I researched everything thorough and knew exactly what I wanted before I even spoke to a recruiter. It was a great decision, no debt from college, helped me land a good job, and made me a better person.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Were not talking about the sink-at-the-pier Russian Navy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
 He is back.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
She just graduated high school last year and is in her first year of college. The recruiter told my wife that my daughter almost aced the ASFAB which they said was "unusual". So the question is, is it unusual? Or are they feeding us a line of BS? I was never in the service, but I have heard the recruiter stories of promising more than what will happen.
View Quote
It is unusual but the ASVAB is not hard. I scored a 99 which is the highest grade they give.
However if you want into advanced jobs they also need to look at your GT score.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
What is your first-hand experience with nuke reactors?  Nobody's "shoveling/cleaning nuclear waste and byproduct from the reactors."    I've got friends who are/were sub nukes, the school is damned tough and new guys get pushed mercilessly because there's no room for someone who can't take the pressure.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#38]
All this hatred for enlisting with college is ridiculous. I enlisted in the Army after graduating fom an Ivy League university and there were a ton of other college graduates in my field. The skill set we received as enlisted soldiers set many of us up for success in the civilian world after we left.

As someone who was formerly enlisted and is now an officer, the snobbery displayed here is sad. I enjoy being an officer but I know many very intelligent soldiers who have chosen to stay enlisted or go warrant because they enjoy their jobs. For them the tradeoff of higher pay as an officer isn't worth losing that job satisfaction.

I also know many recruiters and they have an incredibly difficult job. It's fun to hate them but the stress they have in trying to make their quota, especially in a strong economy like this, is enormous. I've spent many years in sales and understand the pressure they are under to deliver results. It's not fun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He's a recruiter and his lips are moving.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
BS, if she is doing well in college and having a good time then she needs to stay there IMO.
View Quote
Depends on her major.  She might be better off in the Navy, getting some life experience and letting the government pay for her education.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Would you really want your daughter to join the Navy?
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's probably semi accurate.

I had no criminal record, scored in the 98th or 99th percentile with a 141 GT and they wouldn't leave me the fuck alone

Calls roughly 3-4x a week but they never came by the house.
View Quote
Nice GT score!
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#44]
They need to keep feeding bodies into that particular grinder, since so few come out the other side.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Just say no.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is it “unusual” for a recruiter to show up at your door? I always had to drive to my recruiter.
View Quote
Depends if he made quota.   I didn’t have a car in school.   Army, Navy, and Marines all came to the house.

I never talked to an AF recruiter but proabaly should have.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#47]
She'll hate her first tour of sea duty so much she'll turn you into a grandfather in 9 months or less.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#48]
The score is authentic. When you see morons get moron scores you know they aren't being dishonest. Let her explore her options. It's her life and her future. Might even get help with college money. I wouldn't join the Navy (I went AF) but to each his/her own. Nothing but honorable to serve.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#49]
There are a lot of cool jobs in the Navy that you can't really get any other way.

Military in general.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#50]
These threads always amaze me. As a former recuiter that worked in a four man Navy Recruiting Office (not to say they don't happen) I never once saw a 99 AFQT on a prospect card. Maybe all of the kids in Fullerton CA. were just retards and I didn't know it.

AR15.com is just full of MENSA members.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top