Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/5/2018 6:27:10 PM EDT
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/social-security-to-tap-reserves-to-cover-2018-benefits

The total costs of Social Security will exceed total income this year for the first time since 1982, according to the annual Social Security and Medicare trustees report released on Tuesday, as funds for Medicare are expected to run dry earlier than expected.

While costs have exceeded net income since 2010, this is the first time in more than three decades that spending is expected to outweigh total income, by about $2 billion, meaning asset reserves will decline. Asset reserves as of 2017 were $2.9 trillion.

The trustees forecast that 100% of benefits will be covered through 2034, after which the trust funds for Social Security, which also cover old age and disability insurance programs, will only be able to cover about 79% of benefits.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
What's old is new again, or whatever
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Wonderful....

So glad I'm paying into this bullshit that won't be around in 40 years or so.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
So excited I get to “donate” 15% of my income to the this scam.  

Edit: 11 seconds.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/social-security-to-tap-reserves-to-cover-2018-benefits

The total costs of Social Security will exceed total income this year for the first time since 1982, according to the annual Social Security and Medicare trustees report released on Tuesday, as funds for Medicare are expected to run dry earlier than expected.

While costs have exceeded net income since 2010, this is the first time in more than three decades that spending is expected to outweigh total income, by about $2 billion, meaning asset reserves will decline. Asset reserves as of 2017 were $2.9 trillion.

The trustees forecast that 100% of benefits will be covered through 2034, after which the trust funds for Social Security, which also cover old age and disability insurance programs, will only be able to cover about 79% of benefits.
View Quote
View Quote
I don’t follow, if net income is total income minus expenses but before payouts then how have they NOT been depleting reserves. Money tree?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wonderful....

View Quote
As long as old people vote, social security won’t go anywhere. They will just jack up SS rates on those still in the work force.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
If Social Security only payed to those who put in, there would not be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Just stop SDI/SSDI
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If Social Security only payed to those who put in, there would not be a problem.
View Quote
At least not a problem that wasn't solvable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The reserves that were raided and spent decades ago to buy votes?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wonderful....

View Quote
The way things are going it won’t be that long before it implodes on itself. That’s if they don’t prop it up with other “reserves.”
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don’t follow, if net income is total income minus expenses but before payouts then how have they NOT been depleting reserves. Money tree?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its cash flows.  You are thinking P&L statement.  Asset reserves is simply total revenue less outgoing cash.  Costs and outgoing cash likely don't equal each other.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#12]
"The only thing we have to fear..."

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
They’ll do away with income caps.

Then apply means testing.

At that point there’s no hiding that it’s simply wealth redistribution.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]
That is better than I would have thought.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wrong.  If it only paid out, WHAT was paid in, plus nominal interest, there would not be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
W wanted to fix it, kind of.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They’ll do away with income caps.

At that point there’s no hiding that it’s simply wealth redistribution.
View Quote
Don't forget forcing 401k holders to buy govt bonds to prop up everyone else.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck that faggot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wonderful....

View Quote
LOL, it ain't going anywhere.

The thing that will change is your FICA tax rate, as it has in the past numerous times.   It was 1% in 1937.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wonderful....

View Quote
You won't be so glad then as you think you will.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#21]
and the funniest thing I heard today was Nancy Pelsoi blaming Trump for this.

Supposedly $60B worth of fraud in the system, but as we know it will just be easier for them to raise taxes on SS/Medicare than to get the fraudsters.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
The thing that burns my ass is if they had invested it instead of pilfering it we’d probably be on good shape.

Shit.  Even if the investment managers were total scumbags and took a vig, it gotta be better than what we ended up with.

I think Chile did that and it was successful
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't wait until the gold bugs get hit with the return of EO 6102.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#24]
If you are not over 62 you shouldn't be getting SS period.

And if you never paid in? Tough shit!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wonderful....

View Quote
Yep, wish we could exit off now and invest more into my 401k or IRA.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#26]
So I will get shafted at age 76.  That's nice.

This story definitely tilts the scale toward filing as early as possible.  I'll turn 62 in 1 year and 8 months.  I have easily enough in savings to stay afloat until then without digging much into principal.

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#27]
How long before they implement a means test?  "Oh, you have another retirement, well you don't need SS then.  Thanks for paying into it though, sucker."
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They'll do away with income caps.

At that point there's no hiding that it's simply wealth redistribution.
View Quote
Or do away with SDI/SSDI for anyone 50 or younger.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#29]
With more people working there will be more paid into the fund. The amount paid to recipiants depends on how much they paid in. Reduce the fraud and keep congress' hands out of the pot. It will probably last longer than this country will.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How long before they implement a means test?  "Oh, you have another retirement, well you don't need SS then.  Thanks for paying into it though, sucker."
View Quote
One of the reasons I am glad I quit paying SS at 46 yrs old.

Chances are I am not going to get it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can't wait until the gold bugs get hit with the return of EO 6102.
View Quote
Yeah they got people one time with that, I don't think it would work again.  Theft is theft no matter who is doing the stealing.   Have to wonder though how many people have gold hidden away that was not purchased with a CC and there isn't a money trail?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This story definitely tilts the scale toward filing as early as possible.  I'll turn 62 in 1 year and 8 months.  I have easily enough in savings to stay afloat until then without digging much into principal.

View Quote
Determining when to take SS is no longer a matter of contention.

Better take it while you can get it !
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Those previous generation spent the money the baby-boomers put into the system, and now the baby-boomers are retiring, plus the boomers are also living longer. And to complicate things even further, there is a trending of lower births. Huge scam by making future generations taking care of the elderly. The govt can't generate wealth only redistribute them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
My dad is a millionaire. Filed the first day he was eligible so he could get money as long as possible.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Determining when to take SS is no longer a matter of contention.

Better take it while you can get it !
View Quote
I thought it was 2033....but close enough:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Time to start euthanizing old people.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I never count SS in my retirement planning.  My biggest fear is that they steal from our private retirement accounts.  That is why I am bullish on bulldozers
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
"Reserves"  LOL
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#39]
"assets" "reserves"

You keep using these words...
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Get rid of early retirement at 62 and watch the magic happen.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have paid into both Teachers Retirement and Social Security. I get Teachers Retirement so I don't qualify for Social Security. I hope someone enjoys what I paid into SS.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Keep working for me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#43]
That's adorable. Just a year or so before I become eligible.

But I'm not that worried about it, been contributing since 15 yrs old and I've been paying at the max SS withholding for years so I can assure you that one way or another I'm getting my fucking money.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
All the money they already pissed away on discretionary spending is still there in the form of an IOU backed by the full faith and credit of the US gov't.  Don't think of it like they spent everything they had left over every year, think of it as being invested in government bonds.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Medicare is in much worse shape.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Won't see a dime of it.

I'll be 49. And with the income I make now, I won't need a dime of it.

But still sucks I can't invest that money privately and make 8-10% on it myself.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
yep, during the excess years dems voted to add all kinds of people to get SS benefits that never paid any SS tax
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#48]
The American taxpayer is the biggest sucker on the Planet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The way things are going it won’t be that long before it implodes on itself. That’s if they don’t prop it up with other “reserves.”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonderful....

The SS trust fund has invested in govt bonds.

SS isn't going to implode, the govt will just keep making more money, like they have been for many decades
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The thing that burns my ass is if they had invested it instead of pilfering it we’d probably be on good shape.

Shit.  Even if the investment managers were total scumbags and took a vig, it gotta be better than what we ended up with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was invested in govt treasury bonds and the govt did what they always do when they sell govt treasury bonds, they spend the money.

They should all be put in prison for fraud.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top