User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love Social Security threads.

It reminds me that a large chuck of so called conservatives only want to cut other peoples' welfare and not their own.
View Quote
LOL millennial

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Social Security can't fail soon enough.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I quit paying in at 46 yrs old, so if I don't get my $1k a month in 14 yrs oh well.

I would be happy to have my $72k refunded and we call it even.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I quit paying in at 46 yrs old, so if I don't get my $1k a month in 14 yrs oh well.

I would be happy to have my $72k refunded and we call it even.
View Quote
I will stop paying at 45 and I will be collecting SS at 62

I will take a refund also but would like some interest to go with it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Social Security can't fail soon enough.
View Quote
@Bedouin2W It won't and there are already many fixes on the table. I have a friend that works for the SS administration and there is no way it is going to ever end according to them. You will likely get to pay more FICO soon and take a haircut on your future monthly benefit amount but SS will be around when you get old. Invest wisely.

https://blog.ssa.gov/social-security-funded-until-2034-and-about-three-quarters-funded-for-the-long-term-many-options-to-address-the-long-term-shortfall/

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017/08/07/the-only-way-social-security-wont-be-around-for-fu.aspx

http://time.com/money/3954837/social-security-expect/
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
and the funniest thing I heard today was Nancy Pelsoi blaming Trump for this.

Supposedly $60B worth of fraud in the system, but as we know it will just be easier for them to raise taxes on SS/Medicare than to get the fraudsters.
View Quote
If it was one person stealing $60B, you might be right.  But, when you have millions of people padding their pockets, it becomes an expensive game of Wack-a-Mole.  Better to write of the lost funds and revise the rules to prevent fraud the future (like getting rid of SDI/SSDI).
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get rid of early retirement at 62 and watch the magic happen.
View Quote
How about all the construction workers who have spent they're lives busting
there asses ? I'm fifty now and can't wait till 55 comes so I can retire , my body's shot .
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#8]
'It will never be more than a 1% tax!'

They said in the 40's... as everyone voted themselves free shit.

Worst generations ever.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Drain the swamp
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seriously eh.... do people not realize those are "IOUs"...aka poof...gone a good 30 years ago
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"assets" "reserves"

You keep using these words...
Seriously eh.... do people not realize those are "IOUs"...aka poof...gone a good 30 years ago
I'm not for our system but you are apeing an intentionally misleading statement about the reserves.  They are debt obligations aka bonds and are as real as any other bond as far the SSA is concerned.  That part is really not all that disturbing in and of itself.  If you are going to give any private or government entity contributions to run a pension plan it is HAS to be invested somewhere whether you are talking stocks, bonds, or any other financial instrument.  You can't just keep it in cash and claim to be living up to your fiduciary responsibility to the stakeholders of that fund.

The disturbing part is that the counterparty for those bonds is the federal government or effectively the taxpayers who are continuing to take on more debt at an alarming rate and pushing our Debt to GDP to near record levels.  That's the part which is disturbing.

The SSA's system of putting reserves in bonds itself wouldn't really be all that big a deal if they didn't necessarily need to be invested in government debt and could branch out to other types of bonds OR if our federal budget was in such good shape that they could issue those bonds to the SSA while maintaining a reasonable Debt to GDP ratio.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The biggest help is to stop SDI for anxiety and depression.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If Social Security only payed to those who put in, there would not be a problem.
View Quote
This x87bazillion
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The biggest help is to stop SDI for anxiety and depression.
View Quote
FIFY the disability portion of SS should not exist unless someone has actually paid into the system. Lots of generational SSDI families out there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FIFY the disability portion of SS should not exist unless someone has actually paid into the system. Lots of generational SSDI families out there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The biggest help is to stop Social Security SDI for anxiety and depression.
Fify again, @tango1978
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The SSA's system of putting reserves in bonds itself wouldn't really be all that big a deal if they didn't necessarily need to be invested in government debt and could branch out to other types of bonds OR if our federal budget was in such good shape that they could issue those bonds to the SSA while maintaining a reasonable Debt to GDP ratio.
View Quote

The point of the exercise was to tax workers on their income a second time and to conceal half of that tax by pretending that the employer bore the cost.

The method of accomplishing the goal was to "invest" "surplus finds" generated by the tax in US government bonds.
If the "surplus funds" weren't going into the Treasury there would be no point to the scheme.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fify again, @tango1978
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The biggest help is to stop Social Security SDI for anxiety and depression.
Fify again, @tango1978
LOL uber fail, I was wondering when you would edit it
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Goddamn I'd like to opt out.

I'll forfeit what I paid in so far, if I can fucking stop already.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Fraudulent scheme by a trash govt
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top