Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Year round school is a horrible idea.  They already have your kids for too long.

I agree with ditching the pensions though. Also, stop serving breakfast at schools, and start them later in the day so kids aren't getting up an hour earlier than their parents.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I do.
I know several teacher assistants that work Monday-Friday 7am-4pm for $11/hour, then 4-630 for after school care......that's 50 odd hours a week at $11.00 an hour. A janitor at Buc-ees averages $17/hr

A classroom teacher is lucky to have 50 minutes a day to prepare lessons, grade assignments, etc. This means taking work home.
View Quote

Why don’t they work at Buc-ee’s?  Why do they prefer to work for less money?  There must be a reason.  I sure hope it isn’t that they lack the cognitive skills to make rational decisions.

If teacher’s are so poor, why are they mostly over weight?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Alabama median income is $55k. Alabama teacher salary is $53k plus state benefits and retirement. Having been through public school here, the teachers aren’t busting ass for that money.

I see no problems.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The solution may be as simple as it is politically unpopular.

First, end teacher pensions. Most taxpayers don't have pensions in the 21st century, so it makes sense to end pensions for public servants who work for the taxpayers. Use that money for direct teacher pay instead, and allow the teachers to save for their own retirement, much the same as the taxpayers paying teachers' salaries.

Second, go to year-round school. Then society can justify paying teachers for 12 months of work. If two to four weeks of vacation is enough for taxpayers, it's enough for public servants who work for the taxpayers.

There are other steps that can be taken, but these two are simple common sense. Unfortunately, that makes them difficult to implement when unions and government bureaucrats are involved.
View Quote

You do know that teachers only get paid for 9 months of work right? They are allowed to stretch their paychecks out to 12 months if they are bad a financing and saving.

If you didn't even know that then I don't put any faith in your other ideas.

I'm not a teacher,  but I do get a pension. But I get a pension in lieu of social security (that means I don't pay into social security since I pay into a pension).

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

First, end teacher pensions. Most taxpayers don't have pensions in the 21st century, so it makes sense to end pensions for public servants who work for the taxpayers. Use that money for direct teacher pay instead, and allow the teachers to save for their own retirement, much the same as the taxpayers paying teachers' salaries.

Second, go to year-round school. Then society can justify paying teachers for 12 months of work. If two to four weeks of vacation is enough for taxpayers, it's enough for public servants who work for the taxpayers.

There are other steps that can be taken, but these two are simple common sense. Unfortunately, that makes them difficult to implement when unions and government bureaucrats are involved.
View Quote

This is always a retarded conversation, because 1. People have no comprehension of what the job entails, and 2. The Pay is different in every State, and vastly different between private and public.

For example, private teachers get no pension, and in most Red states, they work for poverty wages.    Ironically, the more prestigious the school, the Lower the Pay.   It’s ridiculous, but it follows the law of supply and demand.     The ladies who work those jobs, typically have husbands which have good paying jobs.    (Or, they have family money).
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As a full time teacher myself, I really wish this myth of being paid for the summer off would just FUCKEN stop.

I get paid for 12 months when I work only 10 months because I spread my pay out to cover the months I am not working.

We should just allow AI to start teaching, I mean some of you guys are such amazing penny pinchers, that I bet if you stuck a lump of coal in some of your asses, a cheap diamond might come out of it.
View Quote

What about fall break, winter break, and spring break and service days and holidays, and snow days? What about vacation time off?  I am not arguing here just curious how much total time teachers get off.  All of the above seems to add you to 4 months off and 8 months work time
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh there is a real problem... To bad it's not addressed in this thread... This country is in for some hard times...
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where? I don't believe you.

View Quote

Dublin Ca,

I would give you their names, it can be looked up on California transparent, it is public info.

All teachers in Cali are paid well
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Districts are typically top heavy with a bunch of highly paid "administrators."
View Quote

My job at a hospital, pays well and is unnecessary admin
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#10]
99% of shitty grades and kids not graudation come down to shit parents and shit genetics with shit inteligence.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You would have to be able to “fire” low performing students.

I’m good with that.
View Quote

or learn how to educate them.  not every student learns the same way.
I dropped out because of boredom.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't believe that each of them makes $135k.

Please share where they work, what degrees they have, and how long they have been teaching.
View Quote

4 year college degree, Dublin CA.

You can look up what teachers make on California transparent.

Why wouldn't you believe it when you can check it for yourself?

ETA; don't forget it costs 23k per student per year to "educate" them
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Something needs to change. My wife works 70 hours a week for 10.5 months for less than she would make at a Buc'ees stocking Beaver Nuggets.
View Quote

I’m betting Buc’ees doesn’t do full time for most employees.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe stop paying for their tuition and certs too?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Let me ask you this. How much does she make, and how much do you think she should make? Also what is the median income where you live?

You’ve stated she works 70 hours a week. Is that because there is actually that much work to do, or is she just doing the work inefficiently? If she could do all of her work in 40 hours a week would that change your opinion on her pay?
View Quote

52k. Median income is 118k. Median home price is 580k. Dual degree, special Ed, team leam - 100k if the hours and workload is the same. If they fire half the admin and 3/4 of the coaches, 75k with some proper assistants and support staff. 60% of her time is dedicated to Federal required special Ed paperwork, literally hundreds of pages per kid per month. That's the largest issue, the paperwork requirements have gone up 1000% than when she started. She already doesn't get a lunch or conference period most days.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, my BIL and sister make 135,000 a year each teaching 5th and kindergarten.

Where ?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#17]
That is when you can't fire a Teacher LOL

Quoted:

Tenure? Whats that?

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is no pay problem. They voluntarily accepted the contract. End of story.
View Quote

I've taught for near thirty years in public education. What you wrote here is the truth.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe that each of them makes $135k.

Please share where they work, what degrees they have, and how long they have been teaching.

Well, I checked...

Unless something drastically changed over the last year, this pay scale chart doesn't support their claim.

Attachment Attached File

The salary of each teacher is posted but it includes benefits.  Once you get past the top 10 in the district, you get into the $150k and below.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#20]
All I know is they kids only go to school about 3 1/2 to 4 days a week here max. They are almost always out on Friday due to some teacher BS. I wish I could work 3 days a week and only 3/4 of the year for my same pay.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There is no teacher pay problem. Average salary here is 62K.  Not bad for what is essentially, a part time job with full bennies.  Thats 13k MORE than EMS is getting.

I can see merit/performance pay on the other hand.  Let the good teachers reap those numbers.
View Quote

This. My wife as an EMT was making a fraction of what teachers make and actually had to be responsible for some shit for 48 hr shifts at a time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:52:23 AM EDT
[#22]
So tiring,  we hate teachers! Pay them less ! Take their pension! Work them more hours!

We hate government employees! Fire them all !

We hate public agencies!

We hate police
We hate firefighters
We hate garbage workers
We hate we hate we want to take from

Sounds like liberals screaming only in reverse..
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So tiring,  we hate teachers! Pay them less ! Take their pension! Work them more hours!

We hate public agencies!

We hate police
We hate firefighters
We hate garbage workers

View Quote
Societies woes fall on teachers making $47,500 with mediocre benefits, good time off, and the hope of a pension after 35 years. No other problems plague society - everything else has been fixed.

If it's so great, sign up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Societies woes fall on teachers making $47,500 with mediocre benefits, good time off, and the hope of a pension after 35 years. No other problems plague society - everything else has been fixed.

View Quote

Agreed maybe just let them do their thing. Or as you say, if the teacher thing is so great how come people aren’t knocking down the doors to become teachers?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here teachers work on 10 month and many average 60+ hour weeks.  They average about $20/hr.  This is a little more that starting fast food or WalMart, but less than the better production jobs left in this area.  "Most taxpayers" aren't working 2900 hours a year.  

Get rid of teacher pensions?  They can't afford to retire now.  You think this will fix something?  You won't have any teachers, so I guess it is one way of getting rid of government education.  I've never worked for anything length of time where there wasn't some sort of retirement plans.  

Just pay teachers a reasonable wage.  You can fund it be reforming the way schools spend money.  The waste and corruption is just horrendous.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#26]
End government schools
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well, I checked...

Unless something drastically changed over the last year, this pay scale chart doesn't support their claim.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180035/Screenshot_20230624-233829_Samsung_Notes-2863075.JPG

The salary of each teacher is posted but it includes benefits.  Once you get past the top 10 in the district, you get into the $150k and below.
View Quote

California transparent will support it.
That chart does not jibe with the facts
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:26:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Now do the same equation with 35 hours...a much more realistic average hours worked....then by .75 for the percentage of the year worked. Now we can have an honest conversation.
View Quote

You're full of shit and talking out your ass.  There is no way.  Your typical classroom teaching is in front of kids 35+ hours a week. That's only half the job When do you think they do all the other stuff that goes along with it?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:28:49 AM EDT
[#29]
If they teach Woke then make them go broke.  They have no business being certified or employed in a public school.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Random teacher Charles mercer chosen in Dublin

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2021/school-districts/alameda/dublin-unified/charles-mercer/

Charles Mercer
Teacher (2021)
Regular pay:$131,046.99
Overtime pay:$0.00
Other pay:$6,470.00
Total pay:$137,516.99
Benefits:$26,440.73
Total pay & benefits:$163,957.72
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Abolish. Government. Schools.

If you have kids and aren’t homeschooling, you’re wrong.  Figure out how to do it on one income and produce better human beings with your wife instructing them at home.  Why have your wife subject to some boss outside of your home.  Be a man, take care of the upbringing and education of your offspring.  Handing them over to the gov to do it is asinine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:34:01 AM EDT
[#32]
My wife doesn't get a paid a penny for homeschooling.

I think all public school teachers are overpaid and the whole system should be abandoned.

Why do you think they're producing so many Nazis?  The public school system is based off of the German system that produced them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
99% of shitty grades and kids not graudation come down to shit parents and shit genetics with shit inteligence.
View Quote

On June 24th, 2023, someone said something truthful.

100 percent right.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:37:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looking at how Johnny can't read, spell or solve a basic math problem, they are overpaid.
View Quote

I be willing to wager given the proper motivation he could do all those things.  If he had somebody at home to bust his ass he might not have those issues.  I'm not saying there aren't some serious issues with education, but a teacher can't make a kid learn.  In fact, most places teachers can make anyone do anything or assign any consequences whatsoever.  You might as well blame a textbook as a teacher.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Merit based pay ... if your students are not passing, you don't get a raise.

Shit schools will get fixed REAL fucking quick
View Quote

Shit schools pass 95% of students whether or not they can read.

All you fix with this is that you're going to have to have a higher base pay or teachers won't teach at shit schools.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#36]
How about they stop sexually abusing kids first?

The Catholic church gets all the attention for sex abuse cases, despite the fact that instances public school sexual abuse *DWARFS* that of the Catholic church. Oh, and before anyone brings up that many churches covered up for such crimes... so have schools. Many schools played the same game of shuffling around offenders, moving them to other school districts etc just like churches reassigned priests to other dioceses.

FWIW, anyone... priest, or teacher, who violates the innocence of a child... deserves the Jesus approved execution method.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:45:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Random teacher Charles mercer chosen in Dublin

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2021/school-districts/alameda/dublin-unified/charles-mercer/

Charles Mercer
Teacher (2021)
Regular pay:$131,046.99
Overtime pay:$0.00
Other pay:$6,470.00
Total pay:$137,516.99
Benefits:$26,440.73
Total pay & benefits:$163,957.72
View Quote
About $93,000 take home after Federal and State taxes and trying to live in the SF area, with sales and property tax still...

Jesus Christ, that sounds horrible.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:47:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
End unions and end this small class sized stuff that has not proven to work.
View Quote

The small classes are a lie.

We supposedly have 15:1 student to teacher ratio.  That doesn't take into account that many of those teachers don't teach classes.  My smallest class was 29 and my largest was 36.  Don't buy the lie.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We hate public agencies!

We hate police
We hate firefighters
We hate garbage workers

Public School teachers are the cause of most of the issues we have with younger generations these days.

Public school teachers can't go a week without fucking yet another underaged kid. Yet I'm sure public school teachers, being such leftist atheistic pricks... love mocking the Catholic church and other churches... despite school teachers having far *FAR* worse rates of being guilty of that very same offense.

Public school teachers *DESERVE* every bit of ridicule and mistreatment coming their way. Are you a conservative teacher? Oh well. Maybe recognize the hatred and disdain you face is a direct result of your shitty ass colleagues that honestly shouldn't even be allowed to live in America anymore as far as I'm concerned. I mean that.

All these scumbag teachers trying to convince little boys that they're really little girls and vice versa... should have their wicked asses exiled. And thats me being merciful.

The vast majority of public school teachers are literal scum of the earth, willing to brainwash children with harmful degenerate state propaganda. Jesus would have tied a millstone around most of their necks and thrown them in the ocean.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:51:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We hate public agencies!

We hate police
We hate firefighters
We hate garbage workers

View Quote
Maybe the teachers deserve the hate?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Year round school is a horrible idea.  They already have your kids for too long.

I agree with ditching the pensions though. Also, stop serving breakfast at schools, and start them later in the day so kids aren't getting up an hour earlier than their parents.
View Quote
Abolish it entirely. I'd rather we send money to parents of kids, so that one of their parents can stay at home and homeschool OR pay for private school.. rather than give that money to some piece of shit government run public school.

I cant understand how anyone can live through the past few years, and *STILL* have any respect left for the Public school system in America.
Thats about as retarded as still having respect for the FBI
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:05:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Make income / raises proportionate to grades / independent test scores.

I have no problem paying really good teachers. I have no problem giving day labor wages to really bad teachers.
View Quote

No problem assuming I get to pick and choose who I want to teach.

Expecting me to teach chemistry to a high school sophomore the can neither read nor do fractions is the status quo.  What's worse is they no intention of learning any or permitting anyone in their vicinity to learn anything.

I've managed to teach a motivated kid that didn't speak English at the beginning, but I'm worthless because I can't do what can't be done?

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
public school teachers are nothing but statist commie indoctrinators
View Quote

You including me in there, tough guy?

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:09:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The best solution is to end government schools.
View Quote

Agreed.  Let me complete in a totally free market.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This. My ex wife is a teacher. Annual salary paid over ten months. Problem is, many forget that fact and don't budget accordingly. Then they complain they have to get summer jobs.

Merit based pay is the answer. More money doesn't make a bad teacher suddenly better.
View Quote

Measure my merit for me
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What about fall break, winter break, and spring break and service days and holidays, and snow days? What about vacation time off?  I am not arguing here just curious how much total time teachers get off.  All of the above seems to add you to 4 months off and 8 months work time
View Quote

I work between 2250 and 2500 hours during a 10 month contract that's paid over 12 months.  Just because school isn't in session doesn't mean I'm not working.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:26:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you think unions are the problem in TX you’re just ignorant. There are none.

There are a lot of idiots that run their mouth about how the classroom or school should be run that would never consider doing the job. They think they can do a better job than the teacher and have all of it figured out but just sit around talking shit. Like the drunk counting on friends to keep him out of a fight. You couldn’t make it as a teacher.

You’re a big part of the reason decent, caring teachers quit after a few years.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:29:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
70 hr/wk * 4.3 wk/mo * 10.5 mo/yr = 3,160 hours/year

$52k/yr --> $16/hr

What's missing from the hourly wage evaluation is the toll taken by working 70 hours/wk.  Add in the kids' issues; add in the parents' issues,... it adds up.  

Teachers, real teachers, are under-valued and under-appreciated in our society.  

Because of that, you get crappy teachers in the schools.  Eliminating tenure and starting merit-based pay will go a long way to solving that probem.
View Quote

Ron L. Hubbard was solid scientific non-fiction compared to this post.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:30:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Specail needs teachers don't quit becasue of pay. They quit becuase the administration constantly screws them over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. And when every special needs teacher quits for the same reason? There is an argument for the abolishment of public schools, but you need to have a viable replacement at least proposed.

Specail needs teachers don't quit becasue of pay. They quit becuase the administration constantly screws them over.

As a Special Education teacher, both reason come into play. Toss parents and mass amounts of IEP paperwork in there too.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top