BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As I've been told, average American height was about 5' 6" until the 50's and 60's, which correlates with about the time we apparently started feeding our cow's steroids to make them bigger to produce more meat.

My guess is we probably just had more cows and high-protein food in general that more people could afford, which led to being better able to support a larger body.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were

As I've been told, average American height was about 5' 6" until the 50's and 60's, which correlates with about the time we apparently started feeding our cow's steroids to make them bigger to produce more meat.

My guess is we probably just had more cows and high-protein food in general that more people could afford, which led to being better able to support a larger body.

Saw a Doc recently that said the School lunch program was instituted because a large percentage of draftees in WWII were malnourished.  That would stunt ones growth.  Also why no land whales in pics.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That picture from Mardi Gras, looks like a painting.

The guy on the far right sitting down in that BoB pic, has to be Malarkey!
View Quote

Second guy sitting down, from the left.... looks like he texting.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess they just make an educated guess at the colors?  These are sure a lot better than some of those first "colorized" movies.  My God those made me want to throw up!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Too much white privilege in those pictures.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice pics.  Most people seemed to dress their best with what they had.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very nice pics.  Most people seemed to dress their best with what they had.  
View Quote

Ya I wonder when that stopped
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
That is a Panzerwerfer auf SWS

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Dick Winters and his Easy Company lounging at Eagle's Nest, Hitler's (former) residence.
http://i.imgur.com/u52EDg6.jpg
View Quote

This is my favorite I just wonder who is who? I spot Major Winters right off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
As I was looking at this photo, it blew me away when I realized this isn't just a bunch of crewmembers clowning around on a cart; they were showing what duties they had on the bomber.

The two guys pulling the cart are the pilot and copilot, the guy with the brick is the bombardier, the guy in the hat pointing forward is the navigator, the guy with the headphones is the radio operator, the man with his eyes covered is the lookout who sat at the top of the plane, and the ones with the sticks and the slingshot are the gunners.  The one in the back of the cart specifically being the tail gunner.  Now that it's colorized this brings that whole world alive in ways that you just can't say in words.

Does anyone know what significance the guy watching the light bulb would have on a B-29?  Flight technician, maybe?

Rest In Peace, Waddy's Wagon.  Every single one of you is a hero in my book..

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is that a satellite dish?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eureka Colorado, late 1800s

http://i.imgur.com/qEw2J5F.jpg

Windmill.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As I was looking at this photo, it blew me away when I realized this isn't just a bunch of crewmembers clowning around on a cart; they were showing what duties they had on the bomber.

The two guys pulling the cart are the pilot and copilot, the guy with the brick is the bombardier, the guy in the hat pointing forward is the navigator, the guy with the headphones is the radio operator, the man with his eyes covered is the lookout who sat at the top of the plane, and the ones with the sticks and the slingshot are the gunners.  The one in the back of the cart specifically being the tail gunner.  Now that it's colorized this brings that whole world alive in ways that you just can't say in words.

Does anyone know what significance the guy watching the light bulb would have on a B-29?  Flight technician, maybe?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8588/16025410364_c5882e5a05_k.jpg
View Quote

Wow that's awesome, I never noticed that
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great picture.

Just a thought. Could crystal ball guy be map reader?
Not sure if there was one or the navigator did that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Crew members, posing here to duplicate their caricatures on the plane, are:

Plane Commander, Captain Walter R. "Waddy" Young, Ponca City, Oklahoma, former All-American end.
   Lieutenant Jack H. Vetters, Corpus Christi, Texas, co-pilot.
   Lieutenant John F. Ellis, Moberly, Missouri, bombardier.
   Lieutenant Paul R. Garrison, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, navigator.
   Sergeant George E. Avon, Syracuse, New York, radio operator.
   Lieutenant Bernard S. Black, Woodhaven, New York, Flight Engineer.
   Sergeant Kenneth M. Mansie of Randolph, Maine, Flight Technician
   Sergeant Lawrence L. Lee of Max, North Dakota, gunner.
   Sergeant Wilbur J. Chapman of Panhandle, Texas, gunner.
   Sergeant:  Corbett L. Carnegie, Grindstone Island, New York, gunner.
   Sergeant:  Joseph J. Gatto, Falconer, New York, gunner.

All were killed when "Waddy's Wagon" was shot down attempting to guide a crippled B-29 back to safety during a mission against the Nakajima aircraft factory in Musashino, Japan on January 9, 1945.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

As I've been told, average American height was about 5' 6" until the 50's and 60's

View Quote

I'm in the 5'6"-5'7" range and my grandfather's WWII uniform fits like it was issued to me, except that the Ike jacket is a tad snug in the shoulders.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wind Mill
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wind Mill. For the umpteenth time. lol
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Plane Commander, Captain Walter R. "Waddy" Young, Ponca City, Oklahoma, former All-American end.

All were killed when "Waddy's Wagon" was shot down attempting to guide a crippled B-29 back to safety during a mission against the Nakajima aircraft factory in Musashino, Japan on January 9, 1945.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn wish I hadn't read that :(
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Great pictures thanks for sharing.

I tend to get lost thinking it was such a drab world when every old photo is blk/wht
This really gives dimention and feeling to the photos.

I don't know if everyone thinks that way but it is touching to say the least.
View Quote

No matter how I try not to, I end up doing the same.  The picture of the boxing sailors in particular made that era REAL in a way that black and white can't do.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Great pics, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Guy in the middle is going "it's beautiful man, it's beautiful".

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Golden Gate Bridge 1940
http://i.imgur.com/6a58vWs.jpg
View Quote

Late 40's.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#25]

"Unemployed?  Doesn't matter, just got laid."
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Very cool, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Great pictures OP.  I didn't want the show to stop.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#28]
So cool.  I get so morbid though and think most in those pics are dead.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Great thread. Is there more out there? I'm hooked. Oh, and I have an original of one of the WWII ones posted.

Proof on the way. Let me fire up the scanner. It was taken by a Robert Spring. Spring was with the 59th Evacuation Hospital. Spring would put together souvenir packs of pictures for GI's passing through to buy or trade for. I have spoken to the son of a man that helped Spring with the taking and developing of the pictures, and that's how I came to know the story. I have one of those souvenir packs in an album of a GI that brought them home. I thought it was extremely interesting that of all the WWII photos ever taken, this was one that someone would take the time to colorize. Also, there's a treat-it was part of a 2 picture series of GI's following a tank. I wonder who colorized this one? Spring took amazing photos, I'd love to see what could be done with the whole collection! RIP to the GI in the foreground. Check it out:

American soldiers, having lost one soldier, trying to cross the street under cover of Sherman tanks. Sniper fire is from the upper floors of buildings, Western Germany, 1945

ETA: I notice the colorized one has a Signal Corps stamp, notice that mine do not.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The artist chooses the color and lets the original grayscale photo determine the shading/value.  It's actually very easy to do, and I'm surprised they make a big deal out of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really cool. I always wonder how accurate the color is in these....is there a way to tell what the original colors are from a black and white photo?
The artist chooses the color and lets the original grayscale photo determine the shading/value.  It's actually very easy to do, and I'm surprised they make a big deal out of it.

It's easy to do, but takes a bit of artistic talent to do well.  Most of these are pretty well done.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i1.minus.com/iV1G9keZK6l36.jpg

View Quote

She is beautiful

Thanks op, I could look at these pics all day

The newsboys smoking gave me a chuckle.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Amazing photos! Thank you op. I've never seen most of these.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel it too, almost like you kind of knew them.
My Uncle's plane was a Liberator, named 'Big Emma'.
Made it into a few books.
The 'Wagon' picture just made me sad, like my Uncle's plane, early in the War the Crew looked so Young and Healthy, few years later those 20 some year old guys looked like haggard old men.
Oh, Great Pics!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The 'Wagon' picture just made me sad, like my Uncle's plane, early in the War the Crew looked so Young and Healthy, few years later those 20 some year old guys looked like haggard old men.

Oh, Great Pics!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, Great Pics!

Imperial Japanese air defense footage of B-29's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ged0wsMJ12k

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks OP.

I'm surprised how some of the pics are really crisp and clear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interesting.

Surprised such a sunny day SF Dec 8 middle of winter

Wooden deck on the Navy ship is
View Quote

Most ships had wooden decks back then. Hell, the Missouri does. There's armor/steel underneath the decking though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Very cool thread. Thanks for posting. Amazing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Bump for a great thread. Are there any more out there?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dick Winters and his Easy Company lounging at Eagle's Nest, Hitler's (former) residence.
http://i.imgur.com/u52EDg6.jpg

Guy on the far right sitting down, has to be Malarkey!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Unemployed and living in a tent and the dude looks like he just stepped out of a

Manhattan high-rise.

Well, except for not wearing a shirt.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Unemployed and living in a tent and the dude looks like he just stepped out of a
Manhattan high-rise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Manhattan high-rise.

No matter what their station in life, most people took pride in looking the best they could under the circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Very cool p2tharizo!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you notice the tattoo on his arm is his Social Security number. The prefix indicates Washington State.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not really sure how they do them but I'm assuming they can take color/shade info from the grays and apply them to other colors. Like the sky, take that "level" of gray and apply it to a blue shade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really cool. I always wonder how accurate the color is in these....is there a way to tell what the original colors are from a black and white photo?

Not really sure how they do them but I'm assuming they can take color/shade info from the grays and apply them to other colors. Like the sky, take that "level" of gray and apply it to a blue shade.

Without googling, I would think if you can identify some known colors from things in the picture, you can work backwards from there. EX) if you have a WWII Army uniform, you know it's X shade of green because we still have those laying around. The same could be said for a building in one of the pictures that's still standing now.   Once you get your primary colored objects identified, you can fill in based off the levels of gray from the B&W photos.

This is just a complete guess pulled out of my ass. I have no idea how true any of what I just posted is.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
No matter what their station in life, most people took pride in looking the best they could under the circumstances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Manhattan high-rise.

That's what I was pointing out.  And today we have people with jobs and making decent money that look like shit every day.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They were
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They were

Those short men won the fucking WAR.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Some info on Waddy Young, the pilot of Waddy's Wagon. Waddy Young Tribute
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've never seen a windmill?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Awesome photos, thanks for sharing.

If I had to nitpick, I'd suggest to whoever is colorizing these photos to focus more on the 19th and very early 20th century pics, and less on the 1940s. There's quite a lot of real color imagery from WW2 already.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading that last part felt like I just got punched in the gut.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top