BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still get a constant flow of letters trying to buy my vacant land.
View Quote

Me too.  Now I’m getting calls to sell my FL house.  I guess it’s all about location.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes I am in the hold and rent mode and NOT buying anything, unless it's something that I just can't resist, but I haven't bought anything since about 09. I didn't feel that things went right in the last "crash" to me it never really reset the way it should have, it's like the can got kicked down the rd. To me everything just seems so off right now that it makes me nervous. This not being able to event anyone for any reason doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about having a bunch of rentals.... kinda scary times.

In the china spy thread, I mentioned about going on a date with a young woman that was over hear for "school" but she clearly wasn't hear for school and I pressed her on it and she said she was hear buying RE. And after a while she opened up a little and started saying things that made me wonder. Like she said, "You can't tell anyone you own land or rent places, you have to hide that, because when things change. They will kill all the property owners and land lords" And that she has a whole web of different companies in different states she uses to hide ownership.  hmmm not the normal acts or thoughts of a young woman...
View Quote

Yeah. That rings some alarm bells. Was this ‘student’ Chinese?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the best way to take financial advantage of a crashing commercial real estate market? Short REITs?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah. That rings some alarm bells. Was this ‘student’ Chinese?
View Quote

How could you ever guess.... yep 100% Said it was for her family, trying to get money out of china.... my hunch... it was for the CCP.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is the best way to take financial advantage of a crashing commercial real estate market? Short REITs?
View Quote
condo redevelopments.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I watch the stock market, RE market, liquidation market, auction market and raw land market all the time. Have for years and years and made a ton of money in each of those areas. Today I stand confused and bewildered. I've not seen a monetary market like we have today. Normally I seek things that are "imbalanced" as that is where the profit potential is. Normally. We were in the DFW area over Christmas and I saw something I've NEVER seen before.

There is a section of Highway in a nice community with all the normal amenities that has several "chain hotels" with frontage on the Highway. ALL were 100% DEVOID of cars in the parking lot. I know this area quite well (40 plus years) and I was shocked at what we saw. Wife and I were in town to visit my son and we were staying in our motorhome. Went out for dinner and I just can't get what we saw out of my mind. With all the restaurants going out, office bldgs. sitting vacant and now ANOTHER sign shows up today. I'm an auction buyer of a fairly wide range of equipment. Hence my normal routine consists of monitoring many auction firms and their event calendars around the country. Many of the bigger outfits are postponing auctions BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SERVICE THE DEMAND. Bad times are coming. I'm going bunker mentality in light of the chart I saw the other day of the St. Louis FED M-1 chart. Wow. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm worried about the Commercial Real Estate market. There's a lot of big office spaces just sitting vacant because people are working from home because of covid. How long before this companies get the idea that they don't need all that space? Maybe it's not 100% WFH, but they keep 20-30% of the current space and make it reservable for when you're needed to be onsite for whatever reason. That could lead to a lot of fallout in that market.
View Quote

It will all get turned into housing, just like they planned.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm worried about the Commercial Real Estate market. There's a lot of big office spaces just sitting vacant because people are working from home because of covid. How long before this companies get the idea that they don't need all that space? Maybe it's not 100% WFH, but they keep 20-30% of the current space and make it reservable for when you're needed to be onsite for whatever reason. That could lead to a lot of fallout in that market.
View Quote

we permanently closed 4 offices around the country.
I bet we close more.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So will the RE market crash cause deflation as opposed to inflation?
View Quote

Last time. I saw a feeding frenzy in RE right before the bottom fell out. And while the RE feeding frenzy was at it's peak last time. Deflation showed up in a bunch of strange places, RIGHT before the crash, only lasted for about 2-4 weeks. To me I thought BING, it's a top signal. I started this thread wondering if people might be seeing this same signal somewhere out there. Because I haven't see it.... wondering if it will happen again???? I don't know maybe it was a fluke. There's a school of thought that deflation proceeds hyper inflation.  That deflation is the warning sign to watch for and it doesn't last long, only about a month or so and then BAM. I still don't know how to make money off this, or what I should do. Part of me wants to sell off my RE. BUT don't know where to put the money, and they are printing so many new dollars that's making me nervous. So I am just in a holding pattern and I hate being in a holding pattern....
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a truck driving friend, he normally delivers RCP (reinforced concrete pipe, that small to big concrete pipe that they do sewers and storm sewers out of.).   All developments of course use a ton fo this when developing, before streets and such.  I talked to him first time in months and he said not only are all the crane companies going bust because all the big building work dried up, but he hasn't delivered any concrete pipe in MONTHS.  it's not the weather, they deliver in snowstorms (BTDT).  

I said wut?  i get the big buildings, but the housing market is insane where he lives, just crazy (or has been) and yet nobody is building any new developments.   That means they are only building out what they already have in the ground.  What do the big developers know?

I find it very interesting.
View Quote

Not sure where you are , but here in NE Ohio , I’ve got 3 housing developments starting in a couple months , and one maybe . And one medium size welfare apartment complex .

For the most part we use cpp (corrugated plastic pipe ) for most of the storm sewers . RCP is for under roads and such, they try to keep them out of the roadways so they can use the cheaper CPP .

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I stopped because I am not about to rent a place that I cannot boot someone for non-payment. Plus I am packing in cash for when the market crashes. I will either find some good properties to rehab/rent or a new place for myself
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I watch the stock market, RE market, liquidation market, auction market and raw land market all the time. Have for years and years and made a ton of money in each of those areas. Today I stand confused and bewildered. I've not seen a monetary market like we have today. Normally I seek things that are "imbalanced" as that is where the profit potential is. Normally. We were in the DFW area over Christmas and I saw something I've NEVER seen before.

There is a section of Highway in a nice community with all the normal amenities that has several "chain hotels" with frontage on the Highway. ALL were 100% DEVOID of cars in the parking lot. I know this area quite well (40 plus years) and I was shocked at what we saw. Wife and I were in town to visit my son and we were staying in our motorhome. Went out for dinner and I just can't get what we saw out of my mind. With all the restaurants going out, office bldgs. sitting vacant and now ANOTHER sign shows up today. I'm an auction buyer of a fairly wide range of equipment. Hence my normal routine consists of monitoring many auction firms and their event calendars around the country. Many of the bigger outfits are postponing auctions BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SERVICE THE DEMAND. Bad times are coming. I'm going bunker mentality in light of the chart I saw the other day of the St. Louis FED M-1 chart. Wow. Just my opinion.
View Quote

YEP. Glad to hear it's not JUST me seeing this going WTF... Hmmm "can't service the demand" is that smacking of the deflation I saw last time. Like they know they aren't going to be able to see the stuff so postpone the auction? To prevent it showing that heavy equipment has lost 50% of it's value (like last time).

Hmmm something I also noticed last time right before the crash or as it started. There was about a week when there was NO trucks on the rd... drive down the HWY from Portland to Seattle and I counted 4 semis on I5. That was last time. This time I still see trucks on the rd. But what you saw with the hotels sounds like what I saw with the trucking last time... hmmm It feels like we are standing on a peak right now and things don't know what to do... I know I don't know what to do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is the best way to take financial advantage of a crashing commercial real estate market?
View Quote

Independent arsonist for hire?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Been hearing the “use other people’s money to flip houses, well show you how!” commercials for a while now. Because we didn’t learn our lesson on that from the last time.

It’s gonna bust again and soon I fear. Won’t that be a merry time?  Depressed economy, real estate crisis, AND the scamdemic
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

YEP. Glad to hear it's not JUST me seeing this going WTF... Hmmm "can't service the demand" is that smacking of the deflation I saw last time. Like they know they aren't going to be able to see the stuff so postpone the auction? To prevent it showing that heavy equipment has lost 50% of it's value (like last time).

Hmmm something I also noticed last time right before the crash or as it started. There was about a week when there was NO trucks on the rd... drive down the HWY from Portland to Seattle and I counted 4 semis on I5. That was last time. This time I still see trucks on the rd. But what you saw with the hotels sounds like what I saw with the trucking last time... hmmm It feels like we are standing on a peak right now and things don't know what to do... I know I don't know what to do.
View Quote

Trucking is still on fire at this point in time. It will still follow to some degree, but COVID has changed the industry significantly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been hearing the "use other people's money to flip houses, well show you how!" commercials for a while now. Because we didn't learn our lesson on that from the last time.

It's gonna bust again and soon I fear. Won't that be a merry time?  Depressed economy, real estate crisis, AND the scamdemic
View Quote

i'm in.  daddy needs a reasonably priced house and a bunch of cheap rentals.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Still retarded where I'm at.

We are still looking for development opportunities...

I have other builder buddies and they are still cranking out specs and they sell before they are finished.

We shall see.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Been hearing the “use other people’s money to flip houses, well show you how!” commercials for a while now. Because we didn’t learn our lesson on that from the last time.

It’s gonna bust again and soon I fear. Won’t that be a merry time?  Depressed economy, real estate crisis, AND the scamdemic
View Quote

Oh you missed a few things in your list. You forgot all the restaurants and hotels going under, a giant glut of office space, everyone working from home (how long before they think, if they can work from home, do they even need to be in this country?), Can't evict anyone including squatters, riots, the green new deal and cap and trade. ALL at the same time. 2021-24 is going to make 2020 look like a walk in the park (I am afraid of it being true). Oh and this virus was and is real... but sadly I think it's only the beta test (and it's killing a ton of people), it's going to get worse look at the new strain that's starting to show up... This covid thing isn't going away anytime soon. PLUS look at what they have done to M-1 Look at how much money they have just printed.. How can the dollar survive that?  And for the record, I don't think covid was natural or a accident, I think it's a tool and being used to try and destroy this country, china is at war with us, but the media and our leaders are in there pocket. It's the biggest miss info and diss info thing I have ever seen. (talking about covid, lies lies lies everywhere, leaving everyone not knowing what is real and what is fake). That isn't a mistake.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder what the RE market would look like without these super low rates & all the Covid work from home folks re-locating to the State & City of their choice?  I know my area of So. AZ is booming.  And some of those buyers aren't depending on jobs in that area since they work from home.  

I don't see some businesses wanting to return to a commercial location.  If your employee can work from home, no building lease, no cafeteria/break room, no HR complaints about fellow workers, & your employee is probably more productive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes I am in the hold and rent mode and NOT buying anything, unless it's something that I just can't resist, but I haven't bought anything since about 09. I didn't feel that things went right in the last "crash" to me it never really reset the way it should have, it's like the can got kicked down the rd. To me everything just seems so off right now that it makes me nervous. This not being able to event anyone for any reason doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about having a bunch of rentals.... kinda scary times.

In the china spy thread, I mentioned about going on a date with a young woman that was over hear for "school" but she clearly wasn't hear for school and I pressed her on it and she said she was hear buying RE. And after a while she opened up a little and started saying things that made me wonder. Like she said, "You can't tell anyone you own land or rent places, you have to hide that, because when things change. They will kill all the property owners and land lords" And that she has a whole web of different companies in different states she uses to hide ownership.  hmmm not the normal acts or thoughts of a young woman...
View Quote

@ibuyre2 holy shit that story. Link to thread?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe usps gives them bulk shipping discounts during slow times of the year and it will start up again when holiday back log is finished.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a cold text today from someone in NC (according to cities he listed) looking for a home for someone moving from NY.  
I asked how did he get my number, and he responded with a link to some website listing leads. Appearantly my number was on that list, but I'm in WI.
I got a lot of political calls and texts that assumed I was in NC too, so there's that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Still retarded where I'm at.

We are still looking for development opportunities...

I have other builder buddies and they are still cranking out specs and they sell before they are finished.

We shall see.
View Quote

Yes, it's still stupid hot where I am. I have just noticed the call centers stopped calling and the mass mailings to buy re have stopped. So... hmmmm some buyers are dropping out. But they where bottom feeders, but aren't the bottom feeders sometimes the ones with the closest pulse on the market? Just made me think and wonder what everyone else is seeing. Again thanks for any input. I am enjoying this thread. I love hearing what other people see from around the country and there views of things.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, WSJ reported a drop recently.  Not sure if it will taper down or drop.  May stay high with be propped up with government action though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Someone in the dow 25000 thread informed me that purchase price has nothing to do with investing so...
View Quote

Wrong

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#26]
We were looking to buy last sept/oct.

Everything that was listed that interested us was sold or sale pending at ridiculous prices.
Then the market just freaking died , no more realtors calling , no more hot properties emails , nothing.

Still seeing the same places we looked at are still online and for sale , we feel we lost a couple and can't figure out why they are still listed as available.
Doing drive by's on them and nothing has changed appearance wise , except things like grass getting cut and the properties starting to look run down.
Realtors not retuning calls , and everything seems to be going through a call center in Miami or god knows where.

Not a real stranger to the game , we sold MIL's house last Fall and it took 6 weeks from listing to possession and the new owner moved in right away.
Their offer was the listed price and we accepted and held to it. The rest of the time taken up to complete the sale was escrow and inspection.

Very strange to see properties being sold and sitting vacant for extended periods of time , then ultimately being put up for sale again.

Hopefully things will change starting this month , the funny money may have dried up. I sure hope it has.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@ibuyre2 holy shit that story. Link to thread?
View Quote

@Mr_Psmith Hears the link to that thread. https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=2400965&tl=China-s-extensive-honey-trap-spy-network-could-involve-thousands-of-ploys-underway-now
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think there is this pervasive misconception among us working remotely.  Many believe this is the "new normal" and this was last in perpetuity.  Covid probably has....maybe 4 months left.  At some point it's going to be "back to work folks."    

All the mental and financial gymnastics associated with the transition to working at home are going to have to be unwound.  The "new normal" will be the fucking horror going back to work (office) 5 days a week is going to be. Nobody is talking about it and people are literally buying houses in remote areas thinking it's never going to end.  Buying $2000+ Peloton bikes with $40-$50/month payments.  The claims like "I'm never going back to a gym."  

The "back to work" transition is going to a big issue.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah, WSJ reported a drop recently.  Not sure if it will taper down or drop.  May stay high with be propped up with government action though.
View Quote

The IRS just sent out a shitload of down payments to help people make poor choices with.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The utility systems of most office buildings would not support residential use without substantial upgrades. The public systems that support the structures would need to be upgraded also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The utility systems of most office buildings would not support residential use without substantial upgrades. The public systems that support the structures would need to be upgraded also.
View Quote
i can help you with all that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think there is this pervasive misconception among us working remotely.  Many believe this is the "new normal" and this was last in perpetuity.  Covid probably has....maybe 4 months left.  At some point it's going to be "back to work folks."    

All the mental and financial gymnastics associated with the transition to working at home are going to have to be unwound.  The "new normal" will be the fucking horror going back to work (office) 5 days a week is going to be. Nobody is talking about it and people are literally buying houses in remote areas thinking it's never going to end.  Buying $2000+ Peloton bikes with $40-$50/month payments.  The claims like "I'm never going back to a gym."  

View Quote
that's why i haven't moved to a remote area yet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on the type of REIT.  Hotels and everything else hammered should be priced in.  Shorting is best done buying put options.  But REITS that pay big dividends normally are not good for "shorting."  I thought CBRE was going to tank last April and bought some puts......didn't happen..

If the market shits the bed, the VIX will trade inverse to the S&P 500.  Trade the VIX, which is an index, through the publicly traded VXX ETF.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dont see this happening at my job. Everyone is working fine from home. We are converting office space to manufacturing and moving it back from unpredictable overseas areas.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there is a financial upside of not returning in full strength, it will be exercised.

We have about 65 employees and currently rent a floor of a building. When the lease is up in Q2, we are going to downsize to about 1/4 of that space and have folks come in (different groups as needed) a couple of times a month.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If there is a financial upside of not returning in full strength, it will be exercised.

We have about 65 employees and currently rent a floor of a building. When the lease is up in Q2, we are going to downsize to about 1/4 of that space and have folks come in (different groups as needed) a couple of times a month.
View Quote

My wife works for Comcast. They are going permanently remote for a lot of their employees. Not all, but a lot. They are doing massive restructuring across the board.

This is a company that can track keystrokes if they want, and most every employee has tightly measured metrics. I don’t know if it’s true or not but they are claiming to have barely lost productivity, and anything lost they believe they can make up with the restructuring or by changing personnel (not everyone is able to self motivate in a remote environment). They also send out quarterly surveys to a lot of employees and moral is up since working at home.

They’ll likely stand to save millions and millions of dollars a quarter, nevermind a year. The benefits for her as an employee are untold. Less mileage on her vehicle, less fuel/insurance. Less time wasted commuting during the day. Throws laundry in or does chores during her breaks and doesn’t have to cram it in when she gets home. So when she’s done working there is more time for the kids etc.

It’s not for everybody, but if you can “self start” and self motivate then it’s a gift.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So true, already starting to see that. Tons of vacant space, and places walking on there leases, and don't plan on coming back.
View Quote

The plan to destroy America * is working.  Tyranny is learning, but there's still those pesky 600 million+ tyranny repellants in the hands of free men and women.

* No bulshit, the damages to Europe are merely collateral. Bring us down, control the world.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@MouseBoy I work for a major corporation in NH (one that you'd recognize) and we are staying remote permanently.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The plan to destroy America * is working.  Tyranny is learning, but there's still those pesky 600 million+ tyranny repellants in the hands of free men and women.

* No bulshit, the damages to Europe are merely collateral. Bring us down, control the world.
View Quote

Amen and why that has to be defended at ALL COST. Because if that falls, the US falls and the rest of the world with it. They will come for them, that have to. To have the total power they seek. Just think how this covid thing would have went in some places if there was no arms in the hands of free people. A lot like china where they where welding people into there houses, and kill vans driving around picking up and killing anyone that looked sick or even out on the street when they weren't supposed to be. If you followed the thread of doom in the begging, you saw the videos... it was chilling. As I type this I think about the video of the white van that picked up the young couple and the thud, woman screaming another thud and all goes quiet and they drive on to pick up more....
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Cheap interest, declining dollar, bond market in shambles
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Bitcoin.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Amen and why that has to be defended at ALL COST. Because if that falls, the US falls and the rest of the world with it. They will come for them, that have to. To have the total power they seek. Just think how this covid thing would have went in some places if there was no arms in the hands of free people. A lot like china where they where welding people into there houses, and kill vans driving around picking up and killing anyone that looked sick or even out on the street when they weren't supposed to be. If you followed the thread of doom in the begging, you saw the videos... it was chilling. As I type this I think about the video of the white van that picked up the young couple and the thud, woman screaming another thud and all goes quiet and they drive on to pick up more....
View Quote

Don't by chance still have a link to the video do you?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Cheap interest, declining dollar, bond market in shambles
View Quote
nailed it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@MouseBoy I work for a major corporation in NH (one that you'd recognize) and we are staying remote permanently.
View Quote

My brother in law works for another large company that's doing the same. He just moved to Hawaii his job in Seattle has went permanently remote. His boss is moving to Thailand. How long do you think it's going to be in the restructuring process till some bean counter goes... you know why are we using Americans for these remote jobs? They are all remote anyways..... Hello India.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Don't by chance still have a link to the video do you?
View Quote

No I don't and that thread is such a beast I don't know if I could find it. Probably in the first 100-200 pages. And I think it was on youtube so they probably took it down. china really clamped down on those videos getting out. It was in the early days. Before it got to the US.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Was told by a bank employee that inverters will buy houses and rent them back to those foreclosed on when foreclosures resume this spring. Own nothing and be happy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Chinese investors
View Quote

Wasn’t that what drove Canadian real estate prices to insane levels?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Industrial is where its at.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My brother in law works for another large company that's doing the same. He just moved to Hawaii his job in Seattle has went permanently remote. His boss is moving to Thailand. How long do you think it's going to be in the restructuring process till some bean counter goes... you know why are we using Americans for these remote jobs? They are all remote anyways..... Hello India.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have (what?) 20 years of experience using remote Indian workers. It hasn’t been very successful.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s not all it’s cracked up to be, although Americans are steadily becoming nearly as useless.
Page / 6
Top Top