BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Curious what the end game is with this strategy of the CCP buying up housing like this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could you ever guess.... yep 100% Said it was for her family, trying to get money out of china.... my hunch... it was for the CCP.

Curious what the end game is with this strategy of the CCP buying up housing like this.

To immigrate either as a primary or secondary means.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could you ever guess.... yep 100% Said it was for her family, trying to get money out of china.... my hunch... it was for the CCP.

CCP is using the "buying for family" angle in MN to buy farms and keep them out-of-production with the goal of reducing food supply, too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I get around some and I see retail & commercial vacancies everywhere I go, no exceptions, much more than normal.  This cannot bode well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smells like a bubble is forming, or a massive shift in the way things are done?

I assume There will be an office space and retail space collapse. People can work remotely, for anyone almost, in the service/sales sector and can do it from anywhere. I wonder if high earners are just moving out of the concrete jungles to tax advantages areas?

I get around some and I see retail & commercial vacancies everywhere I go, no exceptions, much more than normal.  This cannot bode well.

I could see opportunities for flip commercial into residential in the near term. If people are working from home, they will want some extra space for their office / desk.  I also see cities not being happy loosing those commercial real estate taxes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My uncle is a real estate investor, the market is extremely hot in the southern Florida area where he operates. But he is not buying, he is selling all of his properties. He has done this cycle many times in his life where he buys up assests dirt cheap after a market collapse, sits on them for sometimes a decade or more, then sell everything, holds cash, and repeats. A modest man now worth over $60 million. Here in Cincinnati the prices are going up and homes sell in days still, but it could be cooling off other places.

I think we have got to be getting close to a market crash. The dip we saw in march was not long enough for a reset, the gov jumped in and pumped it back up before anything could happen. They are literally sending people checks to help them make rent and stimulate the economy. Its fueled an insane speculative market where people are paying 30-40x PE ratios for stock in companies that are struggling to stay a float. They are paying 150x+ for companies like amazon and tesla because MSN says its a buy Everyone is buying assuming the good times will never end. I see average joe blue collar workers on facebook talking about investing, give out tips, tricks, etc... when you hear people like that telling you to buy you need to watch out. These are the people invest with emotion, they buy high when the market is booming and sell low when the market crashes. They always jump in late on bubbles like GME, bit coin, etc... Money is made on the buy, not the sell. The big money doesnt chase the hottest trend, they buy what people arent talking about right now.
View Quote

Same song, different beat.  Been through this 2 times in New England in the last 30 years.  Wanna see wealth disappear like never before, just stay tuned.  There are stock, real estate, .gov bubbles like never before.  Seems like someone created "Bitcoin" to disappear $$$ (M1) real quick sometime soon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wow, so the boom is continuing.
View Quote

Update — house in my neighborhood went up for sale on 6 January. Went pending inside of 6 hours. They had 6 offers. I can’t wait to see what the final price is.

3300 sq foot house on 7000ish sq foot lot. 3 car garage. 3 bedroom, 2 fake bedrooms. 3 full bath.

It was listed at $829,900.

Bodes well if I want to sell this summer. Our house is a little smaller than theirs, but has more upgrades.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mike and 2tired what cities are you guys in?
View Quote

I'm in North Dallas burbs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's only 36 houses for sale in my zip code and almost all of them are new subdivision bigger homes. They're pretty much selling on our local MLS website with 1-2 photos in a week. The older (non-HOA) neighborhood houses are going in a few days. It's crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My zip code has houses going in 4-8 days.

The zip codes I am shopping in FL, the builder rep I talked to Thursday wrote 12 contracts in 2 days.
There's only 36 houses for sale in my zip code and almost all of them are new subdivision bigger homes. They're pretty much selling on our local MLS website with 1-2 photos in a week. The older (non-HOA) neighborhood houses are going in a few days. It's crazy.

My zip code has ONE house in my house’s size and price range. That’s the $700k-$900k range and 2750-3500 sq foot range. There are a couple thousand houses in the zip code fitting that, easily.

Californians buy them as soon as Washingtonians list them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think we have got to be getting close to a market crash. The dip we saw in march was not long enough for a reset, the gov jumped in and pumped it back up before anything could happen. They are literally sending people checks to help them make rent and stimulate the economy. Its fueled an insane speculative market where people are paying 30-40x PE ratios for stock in companies that are struggling to stay a float. They are paying 150x+ for companies like amazon and tesla because MSN says its a buy Everyone is buying assuming the good times will never end. I see average joe blue collar workers on facebook talking about investing, give out tips, tricks, etc... when you hear people like that telling you to buy you need to watch out. These are the people invest with emotion, they buy high when the market is booming and sell low when the market crashes. They always jump in late on bubbles like GME, bit coin, etc... Money is made on the buy, not the sell. The big money doesnt chase the hottest trend, they buy what people arent talking about right now.
View Quote

Do you think the RE crash will be localized? I see prices “in the city” dropping, but suburbia stable to growing.

Case in point, those who can work remote won’t be fooled by assholes like Cuomo, Inslee, Brown, Newsome, etc. They have or are packing it up and heading to lower tax states. The U-Haul 2020 report is indicative of internal US migration for the next 5 years, I think.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:25:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you think the RE crash will be localized? I see prices “in the city” dropping, but suburbia stable to growing.

Case in point, those who can work remote won’t be fooled by assholes like Cuomo, Inslee, Brown, Newsome, etc. They have or are packing it up and heading to lower tax states. The U-Haul 2020 report is indicative of internal US migration for the next 5 years, I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun thing about the last part is the music is gonna stop for all those well paid remote workers that have migrated from NY, CA etc. There will be pain for a lot of these guys that sold their ~$1,000,000 house in SF and bought a $2,000,000 spread in a low cost of living state.

I can all but guarantee you that those salaries will be "rightsized" or Singh or Sundeep will replace them for subsistence wages. There is no way that Google/Facebook/Twitter etc will leave money on the table like that.
Eventually the low cost of living states will be the home of most remote tech workers because that will be the few places they can afford to live.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I own 40 acres near Flagstaff. Divided into 4 parcels, I get offers in the mail all the time offering $2300 parcel. WTF.. someone must be selling cause they wouldn't be sending letters out otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:34:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Same song, different beat.  Been through this 2 times in New England in the last 30 years.  Wanna see wealth disappear like never before, just stay tuned.  There are stock, real estate, .gov bubbles like never before.  Seems like someone created "Bitcoin" to disappear $$$ (M1) real quick sometime soon.
View Quote

Lots of companies will pay you seven figures if you can accurately predict markets. Or, you can just shitpost. Up to you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fun thing about the last part is the music is gonna stop for all those well paid remote workers that have migrated from NY, CA etc. There will be pain for a lot of these guys that sold their ~$1,000,000 house in SF and bought a $2,000,000 spread in a low cost of living state.

I can all but guarantee you that those salaries will be "rightsized" or Singh or Sundeep will replace them for subsistence wages. There is no way that Google/Facebook/Twitter etc will leave money on the table like that.
Eventually the low cost of living states will be the home of most remote tech workers because that will be the few places they can afford to live.
View Quote

But that's not what's happening. In the above mentioned U-Haul migration survey, Tennessee is the number one state for relocation. In the Chattanooga area, West Coasties are buying $400-$600,000 houses sight unseen and for cash.  Great place for remote workers since 1 Gb symmetrical internet access is less than $80/month.  These people are selling their west coast homes for market value, then getting an equivalent or larger house for probably less than half the money and banking the rest.  If their salary gets "normalized" it won't have the impact you suggest.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm worried about the Commercial Real Estate market. There's a lot of big office spaces just sitting vacant because people are working from home because of covid. How long before this companies get the idea that they don't need all that space? Maybe it's not 100% WFH, but they keep 20-30% of the current space and make it reservable for when you're needed to be onsite for whatever reason. That could lead to a lot of fallout in that market.
View Quote

Re the part in red, I know someone who works for a big national insurer.  After they started working from home due to covid, they saw how great it was working and sold the building.   Now they have a very small regional office with room for the boss, a receptionist, meeting space and not much more.   All this happened by last summer.

What I don't get is that with so many people out of work for so long, how can housing prices by skyrocketing the way they do?   When the fundamentals don't match the market, there is something else going on.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But that's not what's happening. In the above mentioned U-Haul migration survey, Tennessee is the number one state for relocation. In the Chattanooga area, West Coasties are buying $400-$600,000 houses sight unseen and for cash.  Great place for remote workers since 1 Gb symmetrical internet access is less than $80/month.  These people are selling their west coast homes for market value, then getting an equivalent or larger house for probably less than half the money and banking the rest.  If their salary gets "normalized" it won't have the impact you suggest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same in Texas, in some cases they buy 2 homes one to live in and a rental property and they're paying cash.  

What it is doing is driving up the costs and local employers are feeling the pain because people are demanding higher pay or leaving.  Even during the height of the pandemic my former employer was hemorrhaging good people to competitors.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Re the part in red, I know someone who works for a big national insurer.  After they started working from home due to covid, they saw how great it was working and sold the building.   Now they have a very small regional office with room for the boss, a receptionist, meeting space and not much more.   All this happened by last summer.

What I don't get is that with so many people out of work for so long, how can housing prices by skyrocketing the way they do?   When the fundamentals don't match the market, there is something else going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm worried about the Commercial Real Estate market. There's a lot of big office spaces just sitting vacant because people are working from home because of covid. How long before this companies get the idea that they don't need all that space? Maybe it's not 100% WFH, but they keep 20-30% of the current space and make it reservable for when you're needed to be onsite for whatever reason. That could lead to a lot of fallout in that market.

Because there are no foreclosures if you have an agency backed loan. Literally no one, even if you were delinquent pre-covid, is getting foreclosed on if the feds back the mortgage.

Also, all you had to do was say you were affected by covid and you could stop making payments. No proof required.

The dead weight hasn’t hit the market yet ??
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#16]
The Covid work from home crowd are moving and buying homes they couldn't afford in their State.  And as those lefty States start to sink, Uncle Joe will send them money from your State to help their economy.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#17]
OP is correct  I own 1/3 of 1 acre outside Williams AZ.  Constant letters offering to buy it.  But, since the 1st of the year, crickets.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I get calls 2-3 times a week wanting us it refinance our ranch. They underestimate our property value by 60%. Have no clue the acreage we own and are not aware the land is joint owned or even how it's financed. Most of the time I just hang up. Once in a while I play along just to see where they are going. Always the same MO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

CCP is using the "buying for family" angle in MN to buy farms and keep them out-of-production with the goal of reducing food supply, too.
View Quote

Back in 2005, my wife and I walked into a small town realty office in southern AZ. We wanted to talk about a 37.5 acre parcel in the nearby mountains.

We had to sit there while the guy we needed to talk to finished up with 3 oriental guys sitting at his desk. The realtor was flipping pages in a binder, with each page being a listing of raw land with pic and description.

Only one guy spoke English, and every time the realtor flipped a page he would tell the English speaking guy the acreage and distance from town... then that guy talked for a second to the other 2, then say tell the realtor yes or no.

This went on for 20 minutes and they got up, shook hands with the realtor and he told the English speaker that 'we'll get these written up' and be in touch.

Our turn came, and I pretty much said WTF was that about??? He said they were buying up every piece of flat, vacant land that was over 40 acres in size and within 30 miles of town. And they were at about a dozen parcels at that point but said they would be wanting more.

A hydroponic tomatao farm owned by an Australian company had just opened a few years earlier, and suddenly this slowly dying farming area was in demand.

We got our piece of mountain side and built a cabin on it... we sold it in 2007 to move to a different area of the state, so have no idea what ever happened to the land they bought.

But the point is the Chicoms were buying up large amounts of acreage sight unseen.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Have real estate prices started dropping yet?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#22]
It does not appear to be crashing around here yet. Frenzy appears to be full steam ahead.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It does not appear to be crashing around here yet. Frenzy appears to be full steam ahead.
View Quote

Dang it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm still getting emails, regular mail, texts, and phone calls for my rental and lots in Apache Junction, AZ. Five or six a week.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep same. It's full steam ahead, and the offers are constant. The market is still hotter than hot. I am more than a little confused. Last time when I though it was going to crash and couldn't keep going. It doubled and then almost doubled again then it only crashed a little and not even to the point that where I thought it was going to crash at. So who knows, the prices might be "cheap" and they may double and then "crash" but still be above these levels. I don't think ANYTHING is normal or natural in the markets anymore. It's zombie market with money printers in the background going brrrrrrrr anytime there's the slightest hiccup.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep same. It's full steam ahead, and the offers are constant. The market is still hotter than hot. I am more than a little confused. Last time when I though it was going to crash and couldn't keep going. It doubled and then almost doubled again then it only crashed a little and not even to the point that where I thought it was going to crash at. So who knows, the prices might be "cheap" and they may double and then "crash" but still be above these levels. I don't think ANYTHING is normal or natural in the markets anymore. It's zombie market with money printers in the background going brrrrrrrr anytime there's the slightest hiccup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing to be confused about.  The Fed is injecting tons of funny money into the public's hands.  With supply down and demand up, prices rise rapidly.

Michael Burry of The Big Short fame made a series of postings over the weekend related to Weimar style hyperinflation.  I always thought we would get massive deflation before they put the presses into overdrive and we inflate to the moon.  I was wrong.  Horribly wrong.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread isn't about receiver extensions

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nothing to be confused about.  The Fed is injecting tons of funny money into the public's hands.  With supply down and demand up, prices rise rapidly.

Michael Burry of The Big Short fame made a series of postings over the weekend related to Weimar style hyperinflation.  I always thought we would get massive deflation before they put the presses into overdrive and we inflate to the moon.  I was wrong.  Horribly wrong.
View Quote

I am starting to worry that's the storm that's coming. Hence my "crashing up". But just shit, how do we plan for that, weather it? Food, raw goods, land (to be taxed away from us, or if there's a loan they will do like Mex, and give the banks the power to "correct it for inflation" each year, so you can never pay it off). It's a ugly picture, and not sure what to do. I have a small collection of rentals, but like dam, not sure how that's going to work out....
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am starting to worry that's the storm that's coming. Hence my "crashing up". But just shit, how do we plan for that, weather it? Food, raw goods, land (to be taxed away from us, or if there's a loan they will do like Mex, and give the banks the power to "correct it for inflation" each year, so you can never pay it off). It's a ugly picture, and not sure what to do. I have a small collection of rentals, but like dam, not sure how that's going to work out....
View Quote

Invest in something valued in renminbi?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#32]
REEEEEEEEE!
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Who's still buying real estate?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

rich people, i reckon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:45:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The big cities and California as a whole are far from empty.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Update — house in my neighborhood went up for sale on 6 January. Went pending inside of 6 hours. They had 6 offers. I can’t wait to see what the final price is.

3300 sq foot house on 7000ish sq foot lot. 3 car garage. 3 bedroom, 2 fake bedrooms. 3 full bath.

It was listed at $829,900.

Bodes well if I want to sell this summer. Our house is a little smaller than theirs, but has more upgrades.
View Quote

Bidding war drove it to $860,000
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's the same feeding frenzy right before the bottom falls out again.  Great time to sell, but the buyer is probably going to end up underwater in a year and then they walk away from the places just like last time.
View Quote

Bingo Bingo

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#38]
So this scares the hell out of me. I have followed this M1 chart for a few years to see how screwed we are and the fed now decided that we do not need to know.
They stopped updating it this month because the train has left the planet.

If anyone knows were we should store wealth, let me know

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M1
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So this scares the hell out of me. I have followed this M1 chart for a few years to see how screwed we are and the fed now decided that we do not need to know.

View Quote

hookers y blow

gold

stonks

bitcoin
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 2:15:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

hookers y blow

gold

stonks

bitcoin
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hookers y blow

gold

stonks

bitcoin

You are probably correct, plus ammo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't think the first shoe has dropped, much less the second.  I don't care, neither buying nor selling RE.  But, like you, the entire economy seems bizarre to me right now.
View Quote

The economy is always bizarre when the left is involved.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You are probably correct, plus ammo.
View Quote

negative, ghostrider.

real estate >>>> ammo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 2:53:57 AM EDT
[#43]
We just sold our home a few weeks ago. We had offers within a few hours and a contract in days. We sold on the high side of our neighborhood and comparable comps which we were happy with. The entire deal took far too long and was a total shit show. Realtor wasn't great. They wanted a sale, it felt like they worked harder for the buyer than they did for us. In the end it sold for more than we anticipated so we are happy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Real estate here in MT is still absolutely batshit barking at the moon crazy right now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:01:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Real estate here in MT is still absolutely batshit barking at the moon crazy right now.
View Quote

you say that like it's a bad thing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:05:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

you say that like it's a bad thing.
View Quote

In some ways it is, in others, not.

People who work in Whitefish can barely afford to live in Whitefish, and many don't. If it keeps up, workers in Whitefish will not even be able to live within commuting distance.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#47]
That’s too bad. I like Whitefish.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
The small company I work for is in the process of selling our 5000sq ft office.
We are moving into a smaller location with room for a small work area with couches and chairs and a couple workspaces, and a meeting room for a total of about 1600sq ft.
The space we are leasing is a converted entire floor office that has been sub-divided into several small office spaces.
We are permanently work from home, and all new help wanted searches are nationwide, as opposed to local.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

These city transplants in our rural areas freaking suck, I’m with you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top