Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a millennial, everyone in my age group who HAS gotten married, is still married.

From what I see, my generation is getting married less often, but staying married when they do. YMMV
View Quote
This. Every one of my friends are still married, including myself.

The only millennial that I know that has been divorced is my cousin... But his dad has been married 5 times so I consider that an outlier.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The divorce rate is down because they aren’t getting married to start with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Strauss and Howe predicted this in the early 1990s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gee, a generation of kids from broken homes are more selective of who they marry. Who wouldn've guessed?
Strauss and Howe predicted this in the early 1990s.
Gen X’er here... I like to think some of learned what works by seeing what doesn’t work.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure it's been said but OP, really? you can't tell that the data is UNGODLY skewed because

A. millennials meaning anyone born 1980 to the mid 90's ARE BARELY DATING LET ALONE GETTING MARRIED
B. Almost all of them under the age of 30 don't have a real job and STILL LIVE AT HOME

I'd bet this study lumped a bunch of late GenX'ers in there to get their numbers up.

Next you'll be telling us millennials birth rates are up higher than the boomers yet fail to identify that it's non-whites.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The change in demographics of the US plays a role in the lower divorce rate. Third Worlders stay married, because culturally the wife is entirely submissive to the husband. First World women actually have intellect and skill sets.

But, you can't mention that. Because, racism.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]

now that's interesting.  That post WWII spike in divorce, was it from guys coming back with PTSD and their wives divorced them, or guys came back and discovered their wives were whoring around so the veterans divorced them?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wait until the average millenial's age gets a little order and things start to get "stale". Poles are easy to skew, it all depends on how and when they are done.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Twist on words and reality:  many millennials aren't getting married either.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What percentage are getting married, though? If you don't get married or are married for less years (getting married older) there's going to be less divorce.
View Quote
Quit with the logic.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gee, a generation of kids from broken homes are more selective of who they marry. Who wouldn've guessed?
View Quote
This is the best answer so far.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
People are also getting married much later in life and living together much longer before tying the knot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]
We were raised in broken homes by self righteous boomers that sucked at relationships.

Of course we’re better at marriage who wants to end up like them?

Boomers: Mary young regret it break up the family and try to take all the other persons shit so they can fuck around and have a good time.

Mellinials: learn how to have relationships when your young, fuck around have a good time and wait for marriage until you have your shit together and find the person you want to spend your life with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is fucking stupid. The divorce rate is down because the marriage rate is down.....  People aren't getting suckered into getting married for a piece of paper. The gay marriage thing brought about civil union.
View Quote
I found a disgruntled boomer. Lol
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Reading is for faggots?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm sure it's been said but OP, really? you can't tell that the data is UNGODLY skewed because

A. millennials meaning anyone born 1980 to the mid 90's ARE BARELY DATING LET ALONE GETTING MARRIED
B. Almost all of them under the age of 30 don't have a real job and STILL LIVE AT HOME

I'd bet this study lumped a bunch of late GenX'ers in there to get their numbers up.

Next you'll be telling us millennials birth rates are up higher than the boomers yet fail to identify that it's non-whites.
View Quote
Lol old people should just stay off the internet. Just because people are too respectful to tell you that your opinions are stupid at the barber shop doesn't mean you need to clog up this thread with them.

"Rate of divorces to married women." Read it again. Slowly…
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Defintely true for me, I would NEVER put others in to the same situation that my parents put me and my brother into.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/oq3fcYZ.jpg

now that's interesting.  That post WWII spike in divorce, was it from guys coming back with PTSD and their wives divorced them, or guys came back and discovered their wives were whoring around so the veterans divorced them?
View Quote
Shit ton of war marriages right before they left and then when they got back they realized it was a mistake I'd guess.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrong, this is what's skewing the numbers. Third Worlders don't get divorced, and we've imported millions of them in the time frame that the study cites.

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Fake as fuck
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thats the whole point.

Millenials are taking the time to make proper decisions on who the really want to marry.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Plus less folks are getting married. Many of my friends from HS are still single, and I see lots of older folks on FB are still at the clubs in their late 30s and 40s. Meaning the folks getting married are probably the ones they really want to be married, vs 20 years ago it was just what you were supposed to do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What percentage are getting married, though? If you don't get married or are married for less years (getting married older) there's going to be less divorce.
View Quote
The study controlled for fewer people getting married.

Very few of my peers have gotten divorced. Probably 75-80% have been married 10+ years.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#23]
What would you expect the data to reveal, when you enter into the equation the millions of new Third Worlders, in that time frame, that have a nearly zero percent divorce rate? Literally, first grade math.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#24]
It looks like the divorce rate spiked during WW2 and not really after as it looks like it was already falling back down as the war ended.    So does war in general cause spikes in divorce rates?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I am late 20s and parents were divorced early on. Both married and divorced multiple times. I plan on living with my now GF for at a minimum of 1 year before getting married. That's on top of the time we have already been together.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gee, a generation of kids from broken homes are more selective of who they marry. Who would've guessed?
View Quote
Not their boomer parents, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Its incredible how many people didn't read the article, or couldn't comprehend it.  Not sure why its so hard to believe that people are being more selective about who they marry now.

Its bad enough that I legitimately can't tell if this post is sarcastic or not.  Well done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Its incredible how many people didn't read the article, or couldn't comprehend it.  Not sure why its so hard to believe that people are being more selective about who they marry now.

Quoted:
It's not that.  There is no housing inflation.  Forty years ago a couple would buy a house for 70k, and in 15 years it would be worth 150k or 200k.  The little lady goes to a lawyer and he asks her how she is going to pay for the divorce?  He has his paralegal go to Zillow and find out the appraisal.  He asks her what the balance is on the mortgage.  Bingo.  Out go the papers.  The lawyer knows the house will be sold in the divorce, and he (and his opponent) will be paid out of the proceeds. Their fees, up to the amount of equity, are guaranteed.  No dunning letters, no threats to the client to pay, etc.  Just bide your time, and it all gets paid.

Now, people are under water, or have very little equity.  The same little lady goes to the lawyer, he finds the couple has no or negative equity, and he says you gonna have to post a 10k retainer.  She goes home and figures the old man ain't so bad after all.
Its bad enough that I legitimately can't tell if this post is sarcastic or not.  Well done.
You’re surprised a majority of GD posters either a) didn’t read more than the thread title or b) couldn’t comprehend what the article was actually saying?  
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It looks like the divorce rate spiked during WW2 and not really after as it looks like it was already falling back down as the war ended.    So does war in general cause spikes in divorce rates?
View Quote
WWII was an utterly apocalyptic event. We don't really understand the level of societal upheaval and change that it caused. So, no probably not normally, but there was nothing normal about WWII
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Most selfish generation ever, my Dad is on his 4th marriage, he's 74 so I think this one might be his last but who knows with him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From 1990 to 2015, according to Bowling Green's National Center for Family and Marriage Research, the divorce rate doubled for people aged 55 to 64, and even tripled for Americans 65 and older. Cohen's results suggest this trend, called "grey divorce," may have leveled out in the past decade, but boomers are still divorcing at much higher rates than previous generations did at similar ages.
Most selfish generation ever, my Dad is on his 4th marriage, he's 74 so I think this one might be his last but who knows with him.
What the fuck is the point of getting married for a FOURTH time? I understand being a retard who nobody can tolerate, but why bother with the marriages at that point?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wrong, this is what's skewing the numbers. Third Worlders don't get divorced, and we've imported millions of them in the time frame that the study cites.

https://i.imgur.com/7wJZJUe.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/7wJZJUe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S7Lz2cf.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/S7Lz2cf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O6bHFM7.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/O6bHFM7.jpg
View Quote
"millions of them" is not statistically significant for a study of marriage across the entire country's population.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn millenials, first they screw up the great American institutions of Applebees, Harley Davidson, and American cheese, and now divorce is becoming less frequent?

There oughta' be a law.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Sadly it looks like millennials are also the only ones with reading comprehension in this thread.

The only indicator that the lower marriage rate ties to the divorce rate is that people are taking marriage more seriously, getting married at older ages, and are more careful who they marry. In what way is that a bad thing? I'm a millennial, my parents divorced, it got kinda ugly. Most of my friends' parents divorced as well, and in a lot of cases their parents remarried and divorced again. Why would we want to copy that idiocy? Maybe growing up in households to parents that should have never married to begin with revealed how carefully one should pick a life partner?

What is the downside again? Stupid millennials being stupid? I don't understand.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"millions of them" is not statistically significant for a study of marriage across the entire country's population.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/7wJZJUe.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/7wJZJUe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S7Lz2cf.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/S7Lz2cf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O6bHFM7.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/O6bHFM7.jpg
It is when the their rate is at near zero.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you saying non-immigrant millenials are divorcing at about the same rate as boomers?  I simply don't believe that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Millenials learn lessons from the failures of the Boomer generation. And their failures are many.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Current average age of marriage is 27 women 29 males and 31 in cities compared to 22 back in the 1970s and earlier but most Millennials are opting for cohabitation and aren’t having kids
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
less crotch fruit, no 'need' to get married.
View Quote
You'll go farther in life with a good partner, kids or not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
People age 22 to 39 are barely dating?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Or maybe cuz no one's getting married anymore?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#41]
My two thoughts:

- More people are living together without being married, and then getting married after X number of years of essentially living a “married” life, so a number of the would-be early divorces are potentially weeded out.

- The internet & rise of online dating with comparability factors is probably going to end up becoming a “safer” route than the average traditional  “we randomly met in a bar and just hit it off” route.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Marriage rates have been dropping for years so of course divorce rates have dropped.
View Quote
This guy gets it
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As a millennial, everyone in my age group who HAS gotten married, is still married.

From what I see, my generation is getting married less often, but staying married when they do. YMMV
View Quote
Same here. I'm an older millennial (38) and almost everyone I know that got married is still married.  A couple divorces but nothing like I remember growing up when it seemed most of my friend's parents were divorced.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ignore gramps. It seems he believes that every millennial is barely out of high school or living off Mountain Dew and Doritos in mom's basement.  Never mind what any data shows.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#45]
You have to get married in order to get divorced
When you're still single and living in mommies basement, of course your divorce numbers will be down.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hey Smarty Pants out there! You cannot be DIVORCED if you were NEVER MARRIED to begin with and those weenies do not commit so this is obviously #FAKENEWS. Hahahaha.
View Quote
So many people in this thread that can't read. It doesn't say that the number of divorces is falling, it says that the proportion of mariages ending in divorce is falling.

Less people getting married does not, alone, make that number fall.

Link Posted: 6/22/2019 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#47]
this thread is proof that America is getting fucking stupider by the day.

Read the article.  The author pointed out that he wasn't look at number of divorces across the entire population, but the rate of divorce among total number of married women.

The marriage rate has also fallen over the last several decades. But Cohen calculates the divorce rate as a ratio of divorces to the total number of married women. So, the divorce rate’s decline isn’t a reflection of a decline in marriages. Rather, it’s evidence that marriages today have a greater chance of lasting than marriages did ten years ago.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
this thread is proof that America is getting fucking stupider by the day.

Read the article.  The author pointed out that he wasn't look at number of divorces across the entire population, but the rate of divorce among total number of married women.
View Quote
I reject your statement, and rebut with a statement about my damn millennial kids still living with me and ma.  So, all millennials are failures, and not getting married in the first place, so of course they can’t get divorced!!!!

It’s logic!!!

Where’s your gawddd nowww????
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Of the hundreds of millennials that I know well, basically everybody I grew up with or have worked with that is similar in age to me, NONE of them would fit A and B. Some of them didn't get married until recently, some of them are still single but are definitely dating. Maybe those things are true of millennials in urban centers, but not here. Of the small number of millennials that I know who have been divorced and are still single, they're in complete dating hell with the lack of quality people to date. The majority of the people on the market are severely damaged goods.

Regardless of that, the data is specifically based off of divorces to married women so even if what I see around me is not the norm across the country then the data isn't effected by a decline in marriage rates.

Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/oq3fcYZ.jpg

More total marriages will result in more total divorces. IMO the percentage doesn't change enough at that point to make either of those conclusions. The chart clearly shows a steady increase in the divorce rate from the 1800's to about the great depression, then it starts to climb faster. This probably has more to do with culture shift towards divorce becoming more acceptable than anything. There is about a 25% divorce rate at the time period you mention and if you look between then and 1970 it stays about the same with minor fluctuations up or down. The biggest change the chart shows is the increase in divorce rate (up to ~50% around 1980) once the no fault divorce laws go into effect.

Quoted:
The change in demographics of the US plays a role in the lower divorce rate. Third Worlders stay married, because culturally the wife is entirely submissive to the husband. First World women actually have intellect and skill sets.

But, you can't mention that. Because, racism.
This could definitely be having an effect as well. I'd love to see the data broken down by race. However, I think if you did a study on this you would find that those same immigrants are more likely to divorce here than if they continued to live wherever they're from. It might not be culturally acceptable among their people, but once they're here they see it as ok.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My two thoughts:

- More people are living together without being married, and then getting married after X number of years of essentially living a "married" life, so a number of the would-be early divorces are potentially weeded out.

- The internet & rise of online dating with comparability factors is probably going to end up becoming a "safer" route than the average traditional  "we randomly met in a bar and just hit it off" route.
View Quote
I think that is pretty a important part of it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top