Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If you look at Late-Boomers and Gen-X vs. Millennials, the average age of their first marriage is only different by two years: 26 vs. 28.

That's not much of a difference. Thus, not much of a story.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah I got married at 34. Many of us witnessed our parents or friends parents get divorced. Not hard to understand that we were more careful about getting married.
View Quote
This.

My parents got married after HS because their parents got married to run the farm. I got married soon after college because it was expected.

My kids are not sure they’re going to get married because they witnessed the aforementioned marriages.

Millennials are just being more careful and not lemmings jumping off the cliff like their parents did.

TC
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's not that.  There is no housing inflation.  Forty years ago a couple would buy a house for 70k, and in 15 years it would be worth 150k or 200k.  The little lady goes to a lawyer and he asks her how she is going to pay for the divorce?  He has his paralegal go to Zillow and find out the appraisal.  He asks her what the balance is on the mortgage.  Bingo.  Out go the papers.  The lawyer knows the house will be sold in the divorce, and he (and his opponent) will be paid out of the proceeds. Their fees, up to the amount of equity, are guaranteed.  No dunning letters, no threats to the client to pay, etc.  Just bide your time, and it all gets paid.

Now, people are under water, or have very little equity.  The same little lady goes to the lawyer, he finds the couple has no or negative equity, and he says you gonna have to post a 10k retainer.  She goes home and figures the old man ain't so bad after all.
View Quote
In California (maybe also in other states), the house is only sold if the youngest child is 18 or over. If there are still kids living there, I believe the person with custody has the right to stay in the home until the youngest child turns 18. Of course, the house payment, taxes, insurance, etc., has to be split by the divorced parents.

So, if the lawyer is looking for a quick payoff, it's not coming from the house.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What percentage are getting married, though? If you don't get married or are married for less years (getting married older) there's going to be less divorce.
View Quote

The millennials are hardly getting married at all.

Far more boomers got married, which would explain why far more are divorced.

The millennials have no problem living together and having children out of wedlock. For boomers, that was a big no-no -- major stigma there, not good for the kids. So they marry.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you saying millennials don't get married? lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No marriage. No divorce. Simple.
The numbers are very low.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of my friends are right on the Gen-X/Millennial bubble, only one of them has gotten divorced and that was a weird situation. A few including myself are still unmarried. None of them were married before 26.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is "crotch fruit" how you typically refer to children?

If so, maybe it's better you don't multiply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
less crotch fruit, no 'need' to get married.
Is "crotch fruit" how you typically refer to children?

If so, maybe it's better you don't multiply.
We had a DJ at a big top 40 station refer to kids as 'sperm trophies'. He was replaced.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
GD hates to be presented with evidence that contradicts their carefully crafted fictions about marriage and millennials.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The number of people in this thread who didn't read/comprehend that the lower rate of marriage was ALREADY CALCULATED into the study is absolutely staggering.

Well, maybe it's not, but still...
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If they're not having at least 3 children, it doesn't matter.
View Quote
#2 is due next month. I'm doing 4, minimum. I'm 32.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/stories/2018/11/cohabitaiton-is-up-marriage-is-down-for-young-adults-figure-1.jpg

The millennials have no problem living together and having children out of wedlock. For boomers, that was a big no-no -- major stigma there, not good for the kids. So they marry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What percentage are getting married, though? If you don't get married or are married for less years (getting married older) there's going to be less divorce.
https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/stories/2018/11/cohabitaiton-is-up-marriage-is-down-for-young-adults-figure-1.jpg

Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Try Gen X.  I bet 80% of my high school friends are still on their one marriage
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The number of people in this thread who didn't read/comprehend that the lower rate of marriage was ALREADY CALCULATED into the study is absolutely staggering.

Well, maybe it's not, but still...
View Quote
I tend to disbelieve they have taken that into account honestly. Its already been mentioned the older generation tended to believe the right thing to do was to get married and have a family, and out of wedlock kids, and living together was generally frowned upon, vs today. Hell, whats the rate of fatherhood / single unwed mothers between married and unmarried people today, vs 30 years ago?

In short i dont believe its as simple as people today being smarter, and making better decisions about who they marry / their marriages being better, is say there are fewer people getting married today / they are waiting longer when they do get married than years ago. ( not that thats a bad thing, as i think marriage tends to reward women much more than men, while it fucks men way worse when it fails.   just dont pretend people are somehow smarter in the romantic / marriage department, because they damn sure are not.  ) people today are waiting until they are older to get married, but IMHO its not as simple as just waiting longer to find the right person, the world has changed and people have far more opportunities, money to persue their dreams and desires, and more things to occupy them, do the things they want and can afford them, and to travel, and experience more of life before getting married, go to college first etc... its just not as simple as being smarter about marriage. the falling child birth numbers among married people today vs years ago is similar. people want a better life / lifestyle, and its easier with 2 kids than with 10 kids, and shit costs a LOT MORE today, and theres  more shit considered a necessity today vs 30 years ago..
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have two friends that were married the same year I was (2012) that were both divorced shortly after. Besides that. Everyone else has stayed married.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I seen a bunch that didn’t Bc they couldn’t afford a wedding
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you really think you know enough people to have the sample size to call BS on a pretty well established statistic?
View Quote
Yes, you need a sample of about 65 to reasonably approximate a population of millions.

Between relatives (large family on both sides), several jobs, friends from grad school, undergrad, gun clubs, neighbors, other friends, spouse's friends, etc. I certainly know 200-300.  I can think of three who got a divorce after a year or two and dozens who got a divorce after a long marriage.

I would have never gotten married if I knew dozens of people who got a divorce after a year or two.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, you need a sample of about 65 to reasonably approximate a population of millions.

Between relatives (large family on both sides), several jobs, friends from grad school, undergrad, gun clubs, neighbors, other friends, spouse's friends, etc. I certainly know 200-300.  I can think of three who got a divorce after a year or two and dozens who got a divorce after a long marriage.

I would have never gotten married if I knew dozens of people who got a divorce after a year or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you really think you know enough people to have the sample size to call BS on a pretty well established statistic?

Divorce Facts

The average length of a first marriage that ends in divorce is 8 years.
That's just an average (meaning those long 20+ year ones balance off the 1-2 year ones pretty easily, and its still only 8 years) off of census data, and there are plenty more studies out there to indicate that years 1-2 are high risk along with years 5-8.

But yeah... The couple dozen divorced people you know are obviously evidence that all these studies are BS.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And then the boomers get divorced. So it seems there hasn't been an increase in either the fitness of people to choose spouses or ability to be successful in marriage.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seems like you conveniently left out the "over 24" demographic which, oddly enough, is actually addressed in the article directly. Pretty safe to assume that millennials who grew up in the broken homes of their divorced boomer parents might be looking to not repeat that mistake for themselves.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top