User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's cheeseburger.

They have a word for cheese but just decided "fuck it" use English.
View Quote

That’s what happens when you’re a conquered people and you have to give up your job as chief engineer at the V-1 rocket factory and take a job at a burger joint in Hamburg or on a hotdog cart in Vienna selling sandwiches to PFCs from Cheboygan.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Op romanticises an insular society and its overcomplicated tradition bound grammar and expressions.

Op would seem surprised at how many different meanings the simple English words can encompass.
My wife can use 'oh dear' to clearly express her emotions, with meanings ranging from mild disappointment, to glee at another's downfall and the often used 'You are going to regret this for the rest of your miserable existence'.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You have to practically use every single English word to describe it and even then it falls short, inner strength tenacity enduring perseverance will willpower blah blah blah  The thing I can think of is "imperishable" in a poetic light.

View Quote

The word you're looking for there is in Finnish, it's sisu.
Bro, English just steals all the good words.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Japanese sucks.
View Quote

It is ridiculously complicated for pathetic reasons
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, if you don't like it learn another language and use that..  Nobody is forcing you to use English.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Japanese sucks.

Plus it's an implied subject culture.  

Took me a long time to get the 'vibe' when living over there.  You miss a LOT when you don't understand but a small fraction of what is being said, mostly because it deviates so much from 'proper' Japanese.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Everyone does it.  Do you know what the German word for cheeseburger is?
View Quote

Royale with Cheese?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quit trying so hard. You literally answered your own statement.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/162439/Screenshot_20220406-092450_Chrome_jpg-2339596.JPG
View Quote

I can shorten that down to two words: shit happens
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Gallagher best comedian ever lived
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Self-loathing is a sign of mental illness.

So are other life choices some people here choose.  

View Quote

One of those choices is being here at all.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The word you're looking for there is in Finnish, it's sisu.
Bro, English just steals all the good words.

View Quote

English is the great thief

That and the British Empire are why it's practically the default international language for buisness
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP, if you don't like it learn another language and use that..  Nobody is forcing you to use English.
View Quote

This is America.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP

It Cannot Be Helped
View Quote

Also: Shit's fucked, FUBAR, a bed of nails, a hard row to hoe, catch 22, dead in the water, a counsel of despair, etc.  These all describe all or a part of the concept with which you're enamored.  Some also describe situations which are not accurately translated into other languages.

There are plenty of legitimate arguments against English, your over-romanticized idea of foreign languages are not among them.  For example, look at the Grammar and word tense fuckery of English.

Some phrases that "don't have a translation into English" are based in fatalistic cultures.  The English language and culture doesn't so easily resign itself to unwinnable/unfixable situations, unless they benefit the nobles.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Some people will say fuck it. That's is. simple.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
English is the best language on the planet, and second place is not close.

Fight me.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#16]
The English equivalent of 'shikata ga nai' is:

"Que sera, sera"...

(OK, now I've really done it...)

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Move.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have you seen what Iceland does?

They even have a list of approved names for kids.
View Quote

X Æ A-12 thinks that's a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Move.
View Quote

Shouldn't you move though I mean you do live in California?

Really is no place to go, Yes maybe the Czech Republic or Israel or something
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#20]
If you think English is crude stay away from Russian and Russian idioms.   lol

"Why are you f@cking a cow"       Ty chto mumu yebyosh?

LOL
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"Why are you f@cking a cow"

LOL
View Quote

Drink up!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Shouldn't you move though I mean you do live in California?

Really is no place to go, Yes maybe the Czech Republic or Israel or something
View Quote

ok god damn!  

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

LOL
View Quote

@Midcap
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LOL
View Quote

Ah yes the "I'm whacking pears with my penis" language.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hence is why we are also so very French
View Quote

Horse shit. English is the Viking raider of languages. It rapes any language it comes across and pilages it's victim's villages for spare vocabulary and syntax. It then leaves little bastard rape children like Ok everywhere it goes. But then what do you expect. Take a grunting Germanic tongue and butt fuck it with archaic French and then butt fuck the French with an island retard attitude and colonialism. You bitch about how English doesn't capture the true depth of feeling that other languages can. It doesn't need to because it captures those parts of languages whenever it needs or wants them. And if foreigners don't like that we get to enjoy the schadenfreude.you talk of the ethereal languages of the east. More horse shit. Languages with billions of users are as ethereal as mud. I think maybe you just think Japanese is more kawai than ugly old English. My advice to you is to just accept your place as a member of the most vicious pack of opportunistic predatorial scavenging omnivores ever to grace or little corner of the linguistic universe and get over it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I heard two coworkers saying the same thing about Mandarin vs Cantonese.

There’s nothing wrong with English.  It has plenty of nuance, without a lot of ambiguity.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Move.
View Quote
He doesn't have to. English will become a minority language in America during his lifetime, then he can complain about how terrible Spanish is.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Horse shit. English is the Viking raider of languages. It rapes any language it comes across and pilages it's victim's villages for spare vocabulary and syntax. It then leaves little bastard rape children like Ok everywhere it goes. But then what do you expect. Take a grunting Germanic tongue and butt fuck it with archaic French and then butt fuck the French with an island retard attitude and colonialism. You bitch about how English doesn't capture the true depth of feeling that other languages can. It doesn't need to because it captures those parts of languages whenever it needs or wants them. And if foreigners don't like that we get to enjoy the schadenfreude.you talk of the ethereal languages of the east. More horse shit. Languages with billions of users are as ethereal as mud. I think maybe you just think Japanese is more kawai than ugly old English. My advice to you is to just accept your place as a member of the most vicious pack of opportunistic predatorial scavenging omnivores ever to grace or little corner of the linguistic universe and get over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hence is why we are also so very French

You use your tongue prettier than a $20 whore.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Perhaps that is the best we have but it is not crushing enough
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is what it is

Perhaps that is the best we have but it is not crushing enough

Shit happens.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I will once asked a woman in German when she was going to take her clothes off when I was trying to ask when they were moving.  Just one small word difference.  Her husband and kids thought it was hilarious.

German has some interesting word combos too.  I once came across the word Scheideweg.  I was like . Separately, Scheide means vagina and Weg means path, way, etc. But somehow combined it means something entirely different.
View Quote

But Scheide also has several other meanings besides vagina. One being a scabbard or sheath (which makes sense... put a sword into it sheath )

Sceideweg, or Wegscheide depending on usage is a 'crossroads'.  The former being more metaphoric, the latter literal

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bingo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get what you're saying but i think a better example would be the Greek words for love. We have one word for love. They had eight. Highlighted by the thread a couple day ago with the thread about "Do you say i love you your male friends" I love my wife in a completely different way than my friends to the point idk if you could even use the same word.

The greek words are:

Agape - unconditional love - the feeling of love for mankind. when you see innocents murdered and feel sad for it
Eros - sexual, erotic - the kind you have for your wife especially when you first get together
Philia - affectionate love, not sexual - the kind you have for friends
Philautia - self love - the kind you have for yourself
Storge - familiarity love, not sexual - the kind you have for your kids
Pragma - enduring love - those that have been married a while know. your love for your wife changes. you still have eros but this is a deeper love.
Ludus - infatuation love - the kind when you first meet a girl you like and you get the butterflies in your stomach
Mania - obsessive love - the word to describe the type of love when you get jealous

Bingo

And we maintain all of those words in modern English. Maniacs obsess. Infatuation is Ludacris. Long married folks tend toward pragmatism. Even agape remains. Every time I do a Google image search for gape I find all sorts of wonderful examples.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Ion even know what you talking bout op
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And we maintain all of those words in modern English. Maniacs obsess. Infatuation is Ludacris. Long married folks tend toward pragmatism. Even agape remains. Every time I do a Google image search for gape I find all sorts of wonderful examples.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#34]
How about American English terms which are not easily translated to other languages?

You snooze you lose.

Snitches get stitches.

He's a rat, and a rats gotta suck the pipe.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Bingo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get what you're saying but i think a better example would be the Greek words for love. We have one word for love. They had eight. Highlighted by the thread a couple day ago with the thread about "Do you say i love you your male friends" I love my wife in a completely different way than my friends to the point idk if you could even use the same word.

The greek words are:

Agape - unconditional love - the feeling of love for mankind. when you see innocents murdered and feel sad for it
Eros - sexual, erotic - the kind you have for your wife especially when you first get together
Pragma - enduring love - those that have been married a while know. your love for your wife changes. you still have eros but this is a deeper love.
Ludus - infatuation love - the kind when you first meet a girl you like and you get the butterflies in your stomach
Mania - obsessive love - the word to describe the type of love when you get jealous

Bingo

You really don't know what you are talking about Pony. English has more words in it that any other language and if you actually cared about language and how it was developed I would bet that you would find that every single one of those words in that list has made it into the English language.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#36]
English is great, look at the versatility of the word Fuck.

Fuck can be used for any fucking thing that is fucked up, fucking awesome, a dumb fuck, fuck it, fuck this shit, who gives a fuck, let's go get fucked, let's go get fucked up, so there is no fucking way English language is fucked up or tier fucking two because you can you use the word fuck for any fucking thing you want to and people will underfuckingstand it.  It can even be used to describe fucked up run on sentences.

So in closing Fuck Joe Biden.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"Why are you f@cking a cow"       Ty chto mumu yebyosh?

LOL
View Quote

That's not an idiom in some places.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bingo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The greek words are:

Bingo

Damn! Some people know nothing about their own language. That's a shame. Buy yourself a Thesaurus. Here are several entries for the word love.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fuck can be used for any fucking thing that is fucked up, fucking awesome, a dumb fuck, fuck it, fuck this shit, who gives a fuck, let's go get fucked, let's go get fucked up, so there is no fucking way English language is fucked up or tier fucking two because you can you use the word fuck for any fucking thing you want to and people will underfuckingstand it.  It can even be used to describe fucked up run on sentences.

View Quote

English is a high precision low context language. It's one reason Chinese translations always seem insane. It is a high context low precision language.

But then we go and add in the lowest precision highest context word ever, fuck. And the results are fucking beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#40]
In laying out your argument, you use the English language.  Apparently, you have a problem, not the language.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The greek words are:

View Quote

LP, ancient Greek is what you seek.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The English equivalent of 'shikata ga nai' is:

"Que sera, sera"...

(OK, now I've really done it...)

View Quote

Insha'Allah
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is there some other way you can illustrate the diversity of the word?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Kiteo, his eyes closed.  Shaka, when the walls fell.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I think you’re wrong. Those languages also have less vocabulary and they have to substitute english words because there is no word for that in their language. And theres a ton of languages like that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quit trying so hard. You literally answered your own statement.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/162439/Screenshot_20220406-092450_Chrome_jpg-2339596.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#47]
lol.

"english sucks because I found a word in japanese that doesn't have a direct translation to english"

wait till you find out about German.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#48]
There’s nothing “crude” about English at all.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#49]
"Blackpilled"
"ShitsFucked"

Now a real criticism is when you try to describe the taste "Umami" in English. It is one of the 5 basic tastes but we really don't have our own word for it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#50]
People don't think it be like it is but it do.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top