User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
HVAC
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Smart boy.

Better than quitting 3-1/2 years into a Computer Science program like my daughter did.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Love it. Pay sucks if your skilled but not certified. Certified doesn't mean you can weld for crap IMO but it means people think you can...and pay you a lot more.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Good.  Beats wasting a ton of money at college for a basic undecided, business, or education major.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Sample size of 1.

There isn't a problem with being a welder. Good profession, although risky with metal vapors, that pays well and can provide a good life. Long hours, but it's damned honest work

The problem with being a welder is the type of people who "want to be a welder". My cousin who got into it was surrounded by dumbass losers who strugggled to finish high school with drug problems and diminished morals. You can guess what happened next.

We haven't seen him since his last heroine bender. If he shows up on my doorstep with "friends" like he did his sister (whom they tried to rape) - I'm shooting every single sonofabitch standing there and putting their heads on pikes at the end of the drive.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good for him, he can make a nice living with good trade skills.
View Quote
Agreed. An acquaintance of mine teaches welding at community college and says most of her students get hired before they even finish the course.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My friend is a single mom who was doing terrible in Ohio. Got a welding assoc from a community college and moved to RI. She does the welding on the DARPA robots you see on posted on here. Doing great now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

I saw this the other day.

*My story as a machinist.

I had an employer hire me as a junior in high school to work for them in the evenings after school and full time in the summer months. When I graduated high school they paid my college tuition AND paid my hourly wage to sit at school. I was employed with them for 12 years. I owe a lot of gratitude towards that. I had ZERO expenses, full time employed and when I graduated I was making about 75k at 22 years old. I was able to further advance my education by them paying for ANYTHING related to their business. I was able to parlay that into a VERY comfortable career.

Skilled trades is where its at!

I personally know welders who make 150k a year.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
As someone who teaches college I would say good for him.  College isn't for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I applaud him

We are running so short for tradesmen it’s ridiculous

I’d suggest being an electrician though, the light and fumes from welding aren’t great for you, especially when welding in shitty areas with no ventilation
View Quote
Around here there's a huge demand for welders, at less than 20 bucks an hour. Electricians make good money.

ETA- a lot of examples of welders getting good money in this thread, but I don't see it locally.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Decent welders are always in extremely high demand and get paid very well for it.

I didnt go to college out of high school.

Ended up going when when I was 24 to maybe help getting a better career. Been at the same construction job since I was 20.

Ended up paying $15k or so for a piece of paper that hasn't helped shit. Luckily my skills in my job have gotten me to a point where I live well off it.

While i enjoyed college there are better routes. The world is flooded with people with various degrees taking shit pay because they're a dime a dozen.

i get the satisfaction of being irreplaceable at my job and having job security is such a good feeling. Not to mention from looking around it would be extremely easy for me to get another job almost immediately with either at my current rate or even higher but less benefits.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
sounds like you raised a smart kid. Congrats.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#13]
He sounds smart. He sees a future opportunity and wants to go for it.
How is he, size wise? If he's small enough, shipwelders make a crapload of money, but they have to be able to contort into places and shapes I can't imagine a human being fitting into.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#14]
are you in socal? i heard from my buddy who is a welder that cerritos community college has a really good welding program that spans a wide range of certifications with option for AA.

https://www.cerritos.edu/welding/
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm encouraging the same for my son
View Quote
I'm an engineer and I've been trying to convince my son to move towards skilled trades instead of engineering.  He still has his heart set on engineering, but I'm making him put himself through school with the skilled trades.  He's 16 and is learning welding and vehicle repairs now, might be on a construction crew through the summer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish I had that opportunity at his age.  Unfortunately my HS had no such program.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]
IARC just released a study that found all weld fumes cause cancer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not all degrees are worthless. Hard sciences and engineering are in demand and pay well.

ETA: not knocking the kid's choice though. Trades are a good path to take.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

he'll be banking big time with no debt while the "smart kids" are going into debt getting worthless degrees for jobs that don't exist.
Not all degrees are worthless. Hard sciences and engineering are in demand and pay well.

Yup. We are tossing money left and right at anyone with a pulse in my science field.

52k starting base pay, lots of overtime if you want it and excellent benefits with a degree and zero experience - in a low cost place in California.

Even so - the trades guys we work with make more than that starting and even later in their careers can often make more, but their overtime required to match is much, much higher.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a college degree ,picked up welding as a hobby in my late 30’s.

When I applied for my current job they told me just use the HS diploma because it’s easier to get me through the door.

Now I’m a full time certified welder with good benefits and job security.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#20]
The key to big success in almost any of the trade pathways is specialization.

Welders do ok.  Welders that own their own business do better.  But a 6G certified mil/govt  travelling underwater welder can write their own ticket.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm an engineer and I've been trying to convince my son to move towards skilled trades instead of engineering.  He still has his heart set on engineering, but I'm making him put himself through school with the skilled trades.  He's 16 and is learning welding and vehicle repairs now, might be on a construction crew through the summer.
View Quote
An engineer who actually understands machining and welding is priceless. Lots of engineers design stuff that can't be built.

Get both.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife's cousin got his welding certs and moved from New England to Texas. Worked hard and soon had his own company which became a multi-million dollar business. Now he's trying to wind down and retire but there's still so much work from long term customers he's having a tough time getting out.

I hope your son has a good guidance counselor who won't try to brainwash him into thinking a four year degree or more is the only route to success.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So, Welders, How is this trade treating you?
View Quote
Our welders are banking $80k/yr working 40hr weeks.
That does not include benefits. They would be add another $30k/yr to the in pocket wage.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Plus it seems based upon every estimate I get that electricians make more than dr.s.
View Quote
I run a business that pays me 150k/yr and have my own business that does other type of work and if everything holds like its going now I will make 200k this year off that after paying the subs and suppliers that I have very little involvement in other than supplying money.

As an Electrician I haven't made under 100k a year since around 2007.

My Journeymen last year made 87-100k
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
not saying they all are, but a huge number of them are, trades are in high demand because highschools have treated anyone who wants to go into the trades like their criminals or idiots.

this leaves opportunities for smart kids who aren't afraid to work hard to make good money.

I went to a tech school, when I told the guidance counselor I had no interest in college he looked at me like I was wasting my life and told me it was a terrible mistake.

I've been in business 15 years now

I'm all about seeing people enter into the trades.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#26]
One of my best friends is a welder. He travels all over the US & Canada welding custom setups for breweries.

Give your kid a pat on the back and sign the paper.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I just do general shop fabrication, not even the big money pipeline or field work, and I'm quite comfortable and happy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Good friend of mine is a union welder.  Clears $100k a year no problem with great benefits.  You son sounds like a smart kid.  Good for him.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#29]
If he could be certified in SCUBA he could make more money welding. Underwater welding is good money.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
He is. He has rebuilt two Go-Karts essentially from the ground up and is drawing up some schematics to build a mini APC for airsoft over the summer with some friends.  He just isn’t a school person at this time.  He has never liked it.

I’m hoping someday he will, but am not disappointed that he won’t be going to college as it stands now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you think he is STEM degree material?
Will he be happy in an office?
If the answer is no, consider it.
Also, remember that successful tradesmen are hardworking as hell and pretty damn smart as well. Make sure he knows that this isn’t the easy way out.
He is. He has rebuilt two Go-Karts essentially from the ground up and is drawing up some schematics to build a mini APC for airsoft over the summer with some friends.  He just isn’t a school person at this time.  He has never liked it.

I’m hoping someday he will, but am not disappointed that he won’t be going to college as it stands now.
I wouldn't force him in a direction he doesn't want to go. I had a buddy go straight into welding out of school, he was doing good working out in the oil fields. After a while he felt the desire to serve, so now he is a Marine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Totally agree this is a worthy and reasonable decision.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Look into being a Union IronWorker. Depending on your area the pay and benefits are good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#33]
The Tulsa area where I lived I think had the second most welders per capita with Houston being number one. Welder’s around here make way less than the other trades unless they are very specialized. I’d push him into Hvac/sheet metal. He will learn how to weld there as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I was a welder, it helped me pay tuition and fees for a BS in Petroleum Engineering.

Having a trade is a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I took precision machining my junior year and switched to welding my senior year at what sounds like the same type of thing your kid is looking to do. Well worth it, and we had a ton of fun too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There are better trades such as a commercial electrician.  I trained as a welder and it’s ruff on the eyes.
View Quote
I would recommend that as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Welding is hot (literally!) at a shipyard, but it's a boom/bust cycle.

Damn near every place needs a welder though- trailer factories, truck stops, oil rigs, underwater...
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#40]
He can go anywhere in the world and make money. I know a lot of professional welders, and a lot of them make a lot more than a lot of the people I know with degrees. And most of them are a lot more humble.

I say go for it, structural and pressure/pipe welders will make the most money above water. CDI is a good place to look at if he want to get wet and make a lot of money 7 months out of the year, and have 5 months off.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

this.

he'll be banking big time with no debt while the "smart kids" are going into debt getting worthless degrees for jobs that don't exist.
View Quote
"while the "smart kids" are going into debt getting worthless degrees for jobs that don't exist."

Hear him, worthless degrees are, well, worthless or even less than worthless.  You know, of negative value.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good.  Beats wasting a ton of money at college for a basic undecided, business, or education major.
View Quote
I gotta agree with this too, I hated school and only did it for the military.

If I hadn't commissioned out of school I would have more debt than 21 year old me knew what to do with.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bet the Navy trains welders...
View Quote
I wonder if they're as awful as Air Force trained machinists.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
welders can make good money
View Quote
The guy I share an office with does it on the side. He used to be pro and has certifications out the ass but doesn't want to do it full time anymore.

He setup a really nice mobile rig and just does word of mouth side jobs now. At $100 an hour with a waiting list. It's definitely a valuable skill.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I make over $300k a year doing that and others.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Congratulations op you're boy has his head on straight.

Me nephew always said he wanted to be a carpenter. His dad said nah you're going to school. Nephew insisted he's going to be a carpenter. He graduates next month from a good 3 year trade school with zero loans. And has already signed on with a residential building company in a jr project management position starting out at 65k and a 700 a month truck stipend.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My Son is 15 and a middle of the road student (Bs and some Cs).  He came home and asked me to sign a slip saying he can attend a trade school in conjunction with finishing his HS diploma (day is split, regular HS classes in the morning, Trade school in the afternoon}.  This will last his Junior/Senior year.

He chose welding because his friend’s parents are in construction and talked about how they need welders and see a growing deficit of them in the area.

So, Welders, How is this trade treating you?
View Quote
US Army!
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I applaud him

We are running so short for tradesmen it’s ridiculous

I’d suggest being an electrician though, the light and fumes from welding aren’t great for you, especially when welding in shitty areas with no ventilation
View Quote
Yep me too. You should be proud he chose a trade and will do well earning a good living and easy employment.
My only watch out for him is to continue to learn from this trade and become more than just a welder.
It does wear you out over the years; knees, back, shoulders, etc.
He needs to become the welding foreman or welding inspector or look for other opportunities.
I had the same discussion with my son and he chose to go to college and enter a different type of “trade” in the medical field.
I basically told him to use me as an example of how a trade can wear you out. Yep I have back, wrist, hand, knee, and shoulder issues. I didn’t move into a trade management position soon enough and wore some of my body parts out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I currently have a bachelors degree, and you know what? I would give my left nut to be out from under all this debt AND have a trade skill.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Welding is a awesome skill to KNOW, but as others have said, it's HARD on the body.  Even if you protect your eyes, and wear a good respirator, you still absorb a bunch of nasty junk through your skin - and that stuff adds up over time.

One more vote for Electrician or Plumbing.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top