View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is the CM... Skanska?
Either them or Walbridge would be my guess.
Nope.  I don't think I've ever seen them in St. Louis.

I'm not going to name them, but they are based in St. Louis.
Clayco?
I'm going to guess Turner...
They are a bunch of asshats to work for
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the PPE level to change a light bulb? Remember 120v AC and you can't lock out the light switch on the wall.
Fuckin' retards...
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He had his harness on but wasn't clipped off to the attachment point.

One of the CM safety guys walked right up to him.  Three days off the job and "retraining" when he gets back.

Now they are going to be crawling up my ass for the next month.

It was in a scissors lift, not an OSHA requirement but a GC/CM requirement.

$300-$400 million dollar project.
View Quote

He's lucky he still has a job.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I posted an incident that happened on a job I just
finished up on this forum in the past about two electricians
who where in a scissor lift and got trampolined out of it
one of them died instantly and the other one lived but
will be getting crayons and coloring books for the rest of his life
it was a job requirement for these two guy's to tie off and they paid the consequences .
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Zoom boom = required to be tied off.

Scissor = nope, not even in CA. The GC/CM is tarded, but so are you for not paying attention to your contract docs RE safety manual
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
OSHA is already run by Nazis. Anything above what they require is pure asshatery
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I posted an incident that happened on a job I just
finished up on this forum in the past about two electricians
who where in a scissor lift and got trampolined out of it
one of them died instantly and the other one lived but
will be getting crayons and coloring books for the rest of his life
it was a job requirement for these two guy's to tie off and they paid the consequences .
View Quote
Darwin. Let the stupid ones die.

Or maybe they were stupid for not using personal protective equipment properly. Naw, they can’t be it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool. It must suck to climb to the top of those wind turbines
View Quote
Some days! I’m 49 and still out climb most the kids.

The blue cable is a climb assist. Won’t pull you to the top, but it makes it a lot easier.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is  all a bunch of gay shit, america was not built by fags who whore a safety line everytime they had to climb a tall ladder.

I will never follow any of that gay ass shit.

At 21 years old with 3 years on a motorcycle and 2 years in a cnc machine shop and a lifetime of doing stupid shit, I am living proof that common sense is all you need to keep your fingers and toes intact. Fuck the safety nazi's.

You know who loses appendages or their lives on the worksite? Idiots who weren't making use of them in the first place, with few exceptions.
View Quote
So much lol.

America was built by lawyers.

21 years old, a lifetime to be sure.

There’s good reason to wear a safety harness. I’ve come to the end of my lanyard driving a boom lift over a curb before. It doesn’t take much of a bump to get catapulted out on your head.

I have a buddy at work that just had his arm partially amputated because he was catapulted from a basket and a boom ran over his arm. As far as anyone can tell it was a fluke bad luck accident but without a harness he’d be dead.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck everyone that works in the 'safety industry.'  Sick and fucking tired of these people.

Not an OSHA requirement but some wannabe cop, safety Nazi asshole needs to justify his bullshit job, so he causes a scene.

The people who work in the 'safety industry' have cost America more jobs and more investment than anyone can even begin to calculate.

Common sense and Darwin will one day, hopefully soon, again prevail.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OSHA is already run by Nazis. Anything above what they require is pure asshatery
View Quote
Amen.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
My place:

8.1 Use of Fall Protection
Anyone working from a telescoping and or articulating boom lift and bucket trucks must wear a
personal fall arrest system attached to the manufacture’s designated anchorage point.

The use of a personal fall arrest system is not required on scissor lifts if the guardrail system is intact.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Osha told us we need to have gloves for the guy using the drill press.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've never worn a harness whilest in a scissor lift.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never worn a harness whilest in a scissor lift.
Me either , as long as the door/chain/bar is hooked up no need. Boom lifts yeah .
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either them or Walbridge would be my guess.
Nope.  I don't think I've ever seen them in St. Louis.

I'm not going to name them, but they are based in St. Louis.
Clayco?
I'm going to guess Turner...
They are. As is Skanska, Jacobs, and all the other heavy hitters I've been around. I have about two more years and I'm calling it quits.

Safety has come a long way since I started in this business almost 45 years ago and we certainly see fewer/less severe injuries today, but some of this shit is downright stupid/senseless.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They are. As is Skanska, Jacobs, and all the other heavy hitters I've been around. I have about two more years and I'm calling it quits.

Safety has come a long way since I started in this business almost 45 years ago and we certainly see fewer/less severe injuries today, but some of this shit is downright stupid/senseless.
View Quote
Don't worry, Skanska is lucky if they are around a few years from now.
Massive lay offs around the globe, and hemorrhaging money
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:jesus im glad im self employed.  and dont work big commercial jobs.

we own our own boom lift.  we can use it the way we want...
View Quote
Self employed you're okay.
If you have even one employee in the company, OSHA can cite you

OSHA
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/2001-05-23-3
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Osha told us we need to have gloves for the guy using the drill press.
View Quote
You mean nitrile gloves to protect his hands from the coolant? We weren't allowed to wear work gloves when running a drill press.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I have to visit chemical plants and refineries from time to time to take measurements. My favorite is watching guys with their yoyo harness on and then clip it to some 3/4" EMT overhead on a piperack that goes 20' or more between connections. LOL. That's really going to catch you.

Second favorite is guys who fall and get caught by the harness, and have no one there to help/notify. Probably a faster way to get canned than just falling.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:35:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I could probably get my entire building shut down for OSHA violations if I wanted to
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:53:48 AM EDT
[#21]
OSHA should be shit canned.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:53:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I was always afraid that if my fat ass did fall out and I was clipped in, that I might pull the damn thing down on top of me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 3:10:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Scissor = nope, not even in CA. The GC/CM is tarded, but so are you for not paying attention to your contract docs RE safety manual
View Quote
This, I never tied off in a scissor lift, in fact training the videos highly recommended against it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is  all a bunch of gay shit, america was not built by fags who whore a safety line everytime they had to climb a tall ladder.

At 21 years old with 3 years on a motorcycle and 2 years in a cnc machine shop and a lifetime of doing stupid shit, I am living proof that common sense is all you need to keep your fingers and toes intact. Fuck the safety nazi's.

You know who loses appendages or their lives on the worksite? Idiots who weren't making use of them in the first place, with few exceptions.
View Quote

You're 21 and your "lifetime of experience" means you have it all figured out?

How cute.

I doubt you would last a day on our site with that attitude.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You mean nitrile gloves to protect his hands from the coolant? We weren't allowed to wear work gloves when running a drill press.
View Quote
Nope. Real gloves. I figured if he had tgat little knowledge it might work in my favor.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

How do you make the leap that I don't know what the safety requirements are?
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So, are you in the field or in the office drinking cucumber water and playing ping pong?
View Quote
If I can be, I prefer to be in the office with my cucumber and ping pong.  Some days I’m in the field.

Some of their rules, especially the gloves all the time are ridiculous, but overall the site safety nazi campaign at least makes it so people joke about it, then they might remember to do a portion of it.

Simple things like safety glasses .

Of course tie off rules are stupid on just about every job site .

Still, most people are stupid and need the constant reminde.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't have a clue.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I never wear a harness on a lift. Pretty damn hard to fall off unless you are an idiot
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're not the only one here who doesn't get it. It's not about your safety, it's about preventing lawsuits. OSHA is just the regulations to cover their asses so they will be less likely to get sued.

If if you couldn't get sued for dying or or getting maimed on the job then no one would care. That's how you get rid of OSHA.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#31]
GE’s safety people have now taken to flying drones with cameras around to try and catch violators on construction sites. So now when the crews see the drone airborne they will go on break right where they are until the drone battery dies.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Their site, their rules.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
GE’s safety people have now taken to flying drones with cameras around to try and catch violators on construction sites. So now when the crews see the drone airborne they will go on break right where they are until the drone battery dies.
View Quote
Cameras are everywhere on jobs sites now, and every swingin' dick watching a monitor thinks he knows more about your job than you do.  It's a fact of life, deal with it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#34]
NSFW language

Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You're not the only one here who doesn't get it. It's not about your safety, it's about preventing lawsuits. OSHA is just the regulations to cover their asses so they will be less likely to get sued.

If if you couldn't get sued for dying or or getting maimed on the job then no one would care. That's how you get rid of OSHA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss the days of triangle shirtwaist fires as much as you do.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Interesting discussions. Lots of right on both sides. Lots of dumbass rules and a few special snowflakes bitching becaus someone got caught and disciplined for violating company rules that they KNEW about. If your a manager and you let your guys slide on a job site safety requirement then you need time off right along with the violator. NOW if the rule puts someone at risk (gloves around rotating machinery??? Wtf) that’s one thing. And in those cases you as a manager /supervisor need to be fighting YOUR bosses to fix the stupidity.

Lots of ‘just use common sense’ responses and that’s all well and good. Except for those dumbasses on the job site who don’t HAVE any common sense. As always the guys with their act together suffer for the stupidity of those who don’t.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I see a lot of picking and choosing of what these safety guy's want
to enforce, believe you me when form work is being stripped you won't
see any of those safety guy's around , GC tells these guy's how it's going to be
safety guy makes any trouble he's off the job , bunch of hypocrites , break peoples
balls over safety glasses when it's 95* and 90* humidity give me a break , I could go on &on
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have seen people get yelled at for not clipping in when the boom is lower than the minimum distance that the fall limiter will work
View Quote
That's because nobody wants to get kicked off a site over a rules violation and miss out on getting paid.

I've chewed people out for violating lots of stupid customer requirements.

It's their site.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had a GC try that, learned their game and started writing site specific safety plans for everything.

Didn't want to wear gloves? Write a safety plan detailing the dangers of wearing them around power tools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He had his harness on but wasn't clipped off to the attachment point.

One of the CM safety guys walked right up to him.  Three days off the job and "retraining" when he gets back.

Now they are going to be crawling up my ass for the next month.

It was in a scissors lift, not an OSHA requirement but a GC/CM requirement.

$300-$400 million dollar project.
I had a GC try that, learned their game and started writing site specific safety plans for everything.

Didn't want to wear gloves? Write a safety plan detailing the dangers of wearing them around power tools.
Precisely
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#40]
lol

This happens daily at my work

We wouldn't have any workers if Safety was that stringent here
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Then it's clipped in with life vest until over the water, then unclipped.  JLGs over water are OK, bit an extended reach out and down are bad juju.  Once you get at or below the level of the wheel hubs...  Darwin gets veeeeerrrrrrryyyyyy interested.

Always told my guys if it's that fucking low then get in the boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you're working over the water, then it's a potential anchor if it goes in the drink.
Then it's clipped in with life vest until over the water, then unclipped.  JLGs over water are OK, bit an extended reach out and down are bad juju.  Once you get at or below the level of the wheel hubs...  Darwin gets veeeeerrrrrrryyyyyy interested.

Always told my guys if it's that fucking low then get in the boat.
I would sweat  bullets when you had the thing rotated 180deg, and the controls were reversed - being on the edge of a flight deck, hanging out over the water was no fun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A lot of the most ignorant shit out there isn't even due to OSHA (though they surely have plenty of ignorant shit of their own).

The fucking insurance companies get ANYTHING they want, no matter how stupid, counterproductive or even dangerous it may be.

They just tell the company how it's going to be or else no coverage.
View Quote
I had a great give and take with our insurance companies, i was able to push back on some over the top requirements. Then again i was in charge of ESH for multiple major sites in several states in an 8 billion dollar fortune 500 company so i bet i had more pull then than i do now.  Still now that I'm a small business owner, insurance companies don't fuck with us much.  Our experience rating is crazy low so that probably helps.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was caught (and cautioned) a few times for not having my PPE (gloves specifically) on while doing tel/data on a commercial project.
There is no humanly possible way to terminate Cat5-6 while wearing leather gloves.
View Quote
I wore gloves when running cable but it REALLY slows down production if gloves are required when terminating it. A buddy and I got a warning for not wearing our hardhats when terminating fiber in a fully enclosed MDF bunker-type room. The extra weight really wears on the neck after a while when hunched over a table. After about a week, they modified that to we only had to wear them when we stepped outside the room.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I wore gloves when running cable but it REALLY slows down production if gloves are required when terminating it. A buddy and I got a warning for not wearing our hardhats when terminating fiber in a fully enclosed MDF bunker-type room. The extra weight really wears on the neck after a while when hunched over a table. After about a week, they modified that to we only had to wear them when we stepped outside the room.
View Quote
the truth is that a lot of rules are the result of extremely stupid people.  I've had entire factories that were full of experienced responsible hard working people that didn't really need to over the top safety bullshit. They followed the regs, and any specific site rules and they did their job and everybody went home.  Then there are places that have a different "feel" to them. The culture is different and you have to do dumb shit like require harnesses in scissor lifts because they are type of people that will reliably climb the rails when they think no one is looking.   Stupid rules are almost always a result of stupid people.

Safety pros don't like the draconian rules any more than the people that have to work with them do. Most safety pros I knew were intelligent pragmatic people that hated being babysitters. They also knew inherently that the people doing the actual work were the ones that mattered and slowing them down wasn't a good idea.  You guys that are bitching...be honest, you work with some "the purple ones don't taste like grape" crayon eating motherfuckers...the safety guy is responsible when that asshole fucks up.  Hence the stupid rules.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#45]
We were on a BP job here in Houston a few years back that was GC'ed by Bovis Lend Lease.  We had to argue that we couldn't terminate our 22awg low voltage wiring with work gloves on.  One of the safety guys finally conceded and met us in the middle. He provided gloves that didn't have the ends of the thumb, index, and middle fingers.  We all thought that it was a workable solution and appreciated that he provided them to us, as he didn't have to.  We were using these gloves daily for a few months, when one day, some other Bovis safety guy walks up on a couple of us while working.  He wants to know why we thought it was okay to be wearing these gloves that are missing the tips of three fingers.  We told him how we got them and he says, "I don't care if my coworker okayed it and gave them to you, you can't use them".  So, now we had to get these two Bovis safety asshats together to figure out which one was going to win out on the argument.

I swear, there were days that I just wanted to get booted from that job.

It's no wonder why modern day construction costs what it does.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We were on a BP job here in Houston a few years back that was GC'ed by Bovis Lend Lease.  We had to argue that we couldn't terminate our 22awg low voltage wiring with work gloves on.  One of the safety guys finally conceded and met us in the middle. He provided gloves that didn't have the ends of the thumb, index, and middle fingers.  We all thought that it was a workable solution and appreciated that he provided them to us, as he didn't have to.  We were using these gloves daily for a few months, when one day, some other Bovis safety guy walks up on a couple of us while working.  He wants to know why we thought it was okay to be wearing these gloves that are missing the tips of three fingers.  We told him how we got them and he says, "I don't care if my coworker okayed it and gave them to you, you can't use them".  So, now we had to get these two Bovis safety asshats together to figure out which one was going to win out on the argument.

I swear, there were days that I just wanted to get booted from that job.

It's no wonder why modern day construction costs what it does.
View Quote
They are horrible you waste the first hour and a half with paperwork and safety meetings every day
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Precisely
View Quote
Nail meet head,
but if you're in the field you need to be saved by someone who has the life skills of a hamster!
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
GE's safety people have now taken to flying drones with cameras around to try and catch violators on construction sites. So now when the crews see the drone airborne they will go on break right where they are until the drone battery dies.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lol, your shop wouldn't be working for any reputable GC around here.

It is nearly on every job now, at least on every job of any size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do lots of high stuff as an  electrician and I have never once put on a harness. We don’t even own any. Our  policy if OSHA shows up on a job site is to drop our stuff and leave for a long lunch tell they are gone.
Lol, your shop wouldn't be working for any reputable GC around here.

It is nearly on every job now, at least on every job of any size.
I rarely wore a harness, never had an issue 18 years in the field. Impossible to tie off in many of the coolers and freezers I worked in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's because nobody wants to get kicked off a site over a rules violation and miss out on getting paid.

It's their site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have seen people get yelled at for not clipping in when the boom is lower than the minimum distance that the fall limiter will work

It's their site.
And a boom can still launch you with the basket 2' off the ground.  You ever see someone drive over a curb they didn't see?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top