BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How easy do you think it would be to shoot FN USA an email and have them manufacture a unique barrel to your exact specs for you? It's true that Jim Hodge does not manufacture barrels, nor any other component, from scratch in his home. He does have connections from working in the industry (and carrying a gun for a long time) though. He probably did not scour ARF to make his small company, that's patently absurd, sir.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember when Kac/lmt fan boys were super fanatical over how good their stuff was. And it actually was. Hodge and the rest acting like they reinvented the wheel when in reality all they did was probably scour internet forums for mid to upper level quality companies and had them make parts for them. I don't know if they can be considered a boutique brand considering they don't make much of anything themselves.

How easy do you think it would be to shoot FN USA an email and have them manufacture a unique barrel to your exact specs for you? It's true that Jim Hodge does not manufacture barrels, nor any other component, from scratch in his home. He does have connections from working in the industry (and carrying a gun for a long time) though. He probably did not scour ARF to make his small company, that's patently absurd, sir.

I’m sure Mega/Zev would collaborate on a rail with me right? Or Alcoa would do a run of AILi uppers and lowers if I asked.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’m sure Mega/Zev would collaborate on a rail with me right? Or Alcoa would do a run of AILi uppers and lowers if I asked.
View Quote

Obviously, what else would you need besides an ARF account to outsource unique designs?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I met Mike a few weeks ago at the solgw carbine match and the following weekend one of the other owners was in a Pressburg class with me(when the Rittenhouse verdict came out.) They both come across as solid dudes that support the community and the 2nd. Is there anyone else in the gun industry that spoke out more for Rittenhouse?

I don’t really care that they don’t manufacture anything themselves. Obviously building guns out of good parts is filling a place in the market. I doubt I’ll buy a complete gun from them because I’m invested in Lmt and Seekins but I’ve bought some parts from them and definitely will again.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I remember when Kac/lmt fan boys were super fanatical over how good their stuff was. And it actually was. Hodge and the rest acting like they reinvented the wheel when in reality all they did was probably scour internet forums for mid to upper level quality companies and had them make parts for them. I don't know if they can be considered a boutique brand considering they don't make much of anything themselves.

Hodge, SOLGW, Tri-Arc, Zev, and probably another one I am forgetting all share a rail design or two, which is a decent mind you, but other than that they don't really do anything special. They build franken guns out of mostly good parts, slap some instamarketing on that shit so people online don't get shamed for having a franken build and call it a day. I will give FCD a pass as I get the feeling someone actually designed a lot their stuff instead of just making a build list and putting it together.

If I was building a quality upper while trying to save money, I would get an Aero upper and rail, PSA CHF barrel, PSA microbest carrier, and whatever flavor of charging handle you prefer.
View Quote

You really have zero idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
SOLGW makes zero sense to me.

It's all BA/Aero with Schmidt small parts.  That's 75% of every single fucking assembler out there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Do other companies offer scallywag shivermetimbers parts??? I didn’t think so.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's all BA/Aero with Schmidt small parts.  That's 75% of every single fucking assembler out there.
View Quote

That's because your assumptions are incorrect and you don't understand what they do differently from most other places.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spikes?

You like asking questions but consistently avoid them, strange, I wonder why that is.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much every oem manufacturer will if you front a percentage up front and commit to a large order of barrels.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You like asking questions but consistently avoid them, strange, I wonder why that is.
View Quote

Funny that you say that, because that's the gucci instagram club MO.

"If you know you know"
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hodge, SOLGW, Tri-Arc, Zev, and probably another one I am forgetting all share a rail design or two, which is a decent mind you, but other than that they don't really do anything special. They build franken guns out of mostly good parts, slap some instamarketing on that shit so people online don't get shamed for having a franken build and call it a day. I will give FCD a pass as I get the feeling someone actually designed a lot their stuff instead of just making a build list and putting it together.

If I was building a quality upper while trying to save money, I would get an Aero upper and rail, PSA CHF barrel, PSA microbest carrier, and whatever flavor of charging handle you prefer.

You actually want to back that up or are you going to use the standard fan boy vague question responses that they all use?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"If you know you know"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"If you know you know"

So how does Hodge act like he reinvented the wheel?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You actually want to back that up or are you going to use the standard fan boy vague question responses that they all use?
View Quote

Jim Hodge actually helped design that rail and has patents on them. He owns the dies to make the parts that he designed.

Roger, Mike and Jim have all worked together at somepoint on new designs.

Roger doesn't make parts nor does Jim or Mike. But they work out designs with manufacturers. Colt hardly make any of their parts.

Just like your car, your cellphone and almost everything else you own. Parts are source.

Get over yourself.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So how does Hodge act like he reinvented the wheel?
View Quote

He never has but this guy and a few other say the same thing everytime his name comes up. Bunch of angry jealous men.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pretty much every oem manufacturer will if you front a percentage up front and commit to a large order of barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would imagine we are talking a lot of money there. Assuming that is true (and it might be with enough money), how does that reflect negatively on the brand that specified the product? I mean, you still have to know what you're doing. If I was in the shoes of someone like Hodge, I would love to spec my own version of an AR with a bunch of premium brands. Even more so if people scrambled to buy them, too.

Quoted:

"If you know you know"

Are you accusing Rickeses of being in the "gucci instagram club" (whatever the fuck that is)?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's because your assumptions are incorrect and you don't understand what they do differently from most other places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok

Multiple posts in this thread about transparency and knowing what the buyer gets.....  Apparently none of us know
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ok

Multiple posts in this thread about transparency and knowing what the buyer gets.....  Apparently none of us know
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok

How many makers, manufacturers, assemblers or whatever you call them actually gauge, and test every one of their parts that come in? Not batch testing , but individually gauge and test? Wanna know why a Microbest BCG from sons cost more than one from PSA? Springco springs and individual HPT/MPI

Mike isn’t shy about what they do differently he’s a open book who also until a few months ago would work on anyone’s gun that came through the shop. This gives them lots of data on what other manufacturers do right and not so right when it comes to assembling. Listen to some of the podcasts he’s been on, he lays it out what they do differently.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Like Geissele's engineers that made the Maritime Bolt Catch? You know the ones that break.
View Quote
I have broke a Colt and RRAs bolt catch.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ok

View Quote

I mean, they aren't shy about telling customers who manufactures their branded parts. BA does make their house-brand barrels, Microbest BCG, sprinco springs, Vltor buffers, Zev receivers and Hodge/Zev rail with SOLGW-spec machining, some Schmid parts, some KNS, maybe some FCD depending. The parts can vary, but none of them are shit, and that speaks to what they do different than most: You can order one of their "base" rifles and pick your own furniture, trigger, other controls straight from them instead of having to swap things out as soon as it gets home.

It's not for everybody, but it's a damn good model for people that don't want to tinker and piece everything together themselves.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's funny is Hodge doesn't act like he invented anything, he literally says he built a AR as if he was king for the day.

SOLGW is the same way they looked at the AR and said how can we make this the most reliable AR around.  The barrel is a moot point considering that if you shoot it out they will replace for free, hell if your rifle burns up in a house fire they will replace it for free, use it in a shooting? Yep you guessed it Mike and company is sending you one until you get yours back from LE.

View Quote
That's a pretty amazing warranty.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's funny is Hodge doesn't act like he invented anything, he literally says he built a AR as if he was king for the day.

SOLGW is the same way they looked at the AR and said how can we make this the most reliable AR around.  The barrel is a moot point considering that if you shoot it out they will replace for free, hell if your rifle burns up in a house fire they will replace it for free, use it in a shooting? Yep you guessed it Mike and company is sending you one until you get yours back from LE.

If your LE and use it, they will send u one with whatever you had on yours…aimpoint, surefire, mawl, ect…
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ok

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok

“I am not knowledgeable and have not researched something, yet still cast aspersions on the subject as if I did”

Interesting coming from the guy who was simping for Chinese manufacturing just a few months ago.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here’s some parts off a gun destroyed in a house fire that they replaced from last time I visited.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#24]
This feels like 2010 and a BCM thread
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here’s some parts off a gun destroyed in a house fire that they replaced from last time I visited.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/275845/7BEBF9EC-0E3E-47F2-995A-3D7D500D555B-2188453.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/275845/7BEBF9EC-0E3E-47F2-995A-3D7D500D555B-2188453.jpg

But but but the best warranty is the one you never have to use, or they have such a good warranty because they expect it to break. I’m sure FN, DD, Colt, LMT or KAC would give you a new one too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This feels like 2010 and a BCM thread
View Quote

I remember when BCM carried DPMS and YHM parts.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much.

Build an aero rifle with a Schmidt lpk,  laser engrave some gay logo on everything then charge an extra $1000
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they don’t, they should.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top