BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I stand by blame the insurance companies.  They pushed this legislation and sent out their minions to push it on the various states.  This is a fact, not really disputable in any form.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I stand by blame the insurance companies.  They pushed this legislation and sent out their minions to push it on the various states.  This is a fact, not really disputable in any form.
If you said that, I wouldn't have a problem.   You didn't say that.

Yes, insurance companies did push for legislation however they weren't the only people to do so and an argument can be made they weren't even the driving force as evinced by the fact that multiple states didn't pass mandatory seat belt laws until the 1990s with New Hampshire still being the lone hold out.

I don't blame the insurance companies because even though they did, in fact lobby many state legislatures, and indeed even the US Congress, it was the STATE LEGISLATORS who passed the laws and, ultimately, the citizens who agree with them or are too lazy to work to change them.

Quoted: That New Hampshire ( one tiny state out of 50 ) found some way around this really does not matter. It's the outlier not the rule and certainly not in tune with everywhere else. What I say I saw I saw, I know how this all became law.
The point of mentioning New Hampshire is to show that what you said was wrong (it is).    The idea that the threat of insurance companies refusing to write policies in a state that refused to pass such statutes was the primary driving force behind these laws when nearly a dozen states didn't pass them, at least initially, with one state still holding out is hogwash.

And New Hampshire didn't find a way around anything.  They weren't even the only state that held out and are only an outlier past the mid 1990s.

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to see the video from his end so I can hear all the mouth breathing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes it is indeed too much to ask.

A police officer's job is NOT to argue law with you or anyone.  His job is to issue citations when he sees a law broken.  If you want to argue, you can argue in court.

If he argued with everyone that wanted to argue, he would do nothing but waste his time arguing.  That's not his job.

If you politely ask, he may politely answer your question.  But he is not obligated to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I don't understand is why you seem to be so against the idea of a reasonable discourse regarding the law, and instead think that people should simply have to take the officer's word for it, just because they are the police officer and they said so.

If I have a question regarding the law I am being accused of breaking, it seems extremely reasonable to me that I should be able to ask details about the law in question, so that we can discuss it like civilized adults. Instead, you seem to think that I should be required to cooperate with the officer and blindly accept the ticket, because it's not his job to argue the law with me; the very same law that he has just accused me of breaking.

I know that my scenarios are extremely non-typical compared to the average encounters that officers deal with daily, but they have certainly shaped the way I perceive and interact with the police. I am extremely civil and polite at all times, but I don't hesitate to ask questions when something doesn't seem right to me. Officers are not infallible, and neither am I, which is why I prefer to go directly to the text of the law in question.

I don't think it's too much to ask of an officer to take a few extra minutes out of his day to help clarify any questions I may have regarding the law in question, especially if I'm being accused of breaking it.

Do you think that's too much to ask?

A police officer's job is NOT to argue law with you or anyone.  His job is to issue citations when he sees a law broken.  If you want to argue, you can argue in court.

If he argued with everyone that wanted to argue, he would do nothing but waste his time arguing.  That's not his job.

If you politely ask, he may politely answer your question.  But he is not obligated to do so.
Lol he obviously has plenty of time to waste if he's writing seat belt tickets.

In fact, if he is that hard up for actual police work his position should just be eliminated all together.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jesus that cop had the patience of Job.
View Quote
I have had cops give me hell for not getting my license out of my wallet fast enough.  That guy was way too nice.

When I get stopped now I do not pull over till I have my license and CCL in my hand. You generally know when you got tagged so it is no problem to get things in order before the lights pop on.

I don't want them to be worried about where I am reaching.

When I pull over and stop I have my licenses and my insurance in my hand with both hands on the steering wheel and my window down and truck off.  With this technique I have never had a real ticket.

I look at it like a speed tax or a I don't want to wear a seat belt tax. They are making their daily bread and I got unlucky.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
You claim that "His job is to issue citations when he sees a law broken", yet in all three scenarios I described, no laws were broken at all!

The first scenario was an officer's attempt at intimidation, the second scenario was based on ignorance of the law in question, and the third scenario was a case of mistaken identity.

In none of these scenarios can it be said that the officers in question "saw a law broken", because I did not break any laws! The only somewhat reasonable accusation was the case of mistaken identity in scenario three, and he also happened to be the most professional of the three. That officer did see a law being broken, but it was not me that he saw breaking the law. He was also the only one willing to own up to his mistake.

Should the burden really fall on me to have to take the time to go to court and defend myself against these false accusations? What do you think my chances would be in court, considering it would essentially be my word against theirs? Am I also considered guilty until proven innocent?

I know that my personal experiences are a bit outside the boundaries of a typical police encounter, but they happened nonetheless. The idea that I should just blindly accept the ticket and fight it in court seems completely absurd to me, and would essentially be already punishing me for a crime I did not commit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You said  "Blame the insurance companies. They went to the legislatures and made it clear that if seatbelt laws were not enacted, they would refuse to write policies in that state."

You can buy car insurance in New Hampshire.    That means you're wrong.

I don't follow you around, at all.   I found this thread, read this thread to the end, and found a  post that I thought would be interesting to respond to.

If you don't like what I say, you can ignore it if you like.

Hell, I've ignored lots of posts from lots of people, including you.

Again you appear to get really upset when someone corrects you.  Why is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I'm not wrong.  I relayed what I personally witnessed.  You do however seem to follow me around a good bit though, why is that?
You said  "Blame the insurance companies. They went to the legislatures and made it clear that if seatbelt laws were not enacted, they would refuse to write policies in that state."

You can buy car insurance in New Hampshire.    That means you're wrong.

I don't follow you around, at all.   I found this thread, read this thread to the end, and found a  post that I thought would be interesting to respond to.

If you don't like what I say, you can ignore it if you like.

Hell, I've ignored lots of posts from lots of people, including you.

Again you appear to get really upset when someone corrects you.  Why is that?
New Hampshire is an outlier, and shows a few things. First, NH also doesn't require that you have car insurance to drive, provided you can demonstrate your financial responsibility if you crash. There's no test roadside (like providing proof of insurance)... unless you are in a crash. If you can't pay the cost of the crash, there are big penalties, and then you're required to have insurance to drive again (SR-22). In that case, the insurance companies charge out the nose, because you're now obligated to pay for a policy, like other states.

NH doesn't have a seatbelt law for adults. That's true. NH was told by insurance companies that premiums would go up if there continued to not have a seatbelt law. NH called the bluff, because that's what NH does... but also because people weren't obligated to buy a policy to drive anyway.

That the threat never materialized in NH doesn't mean the stated threat wasn't there in other states.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Since when are local cops supposed to be ICE agents and raid chicken plants?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no desire to be a LEO. But I see police give a blind eye to open criminal violations all the time. Every local cop here knows all the local chicken plants hire hundreds of illegal aliens but never do a thing about it. But these same police will pull you or me over for going 10mph over the limit in a heartbeat. Its all a bunch of BS anymore...
Since when are local cops supposed to be ICE agents and raid chicken plants?
It is all a bunch of bull shit anymore. Its not just illegal aliens either.  Its what is easier.  They all know people who need to be in jail but they know that they are going to have to work at it and possibly get shot at and the DA and the judge are going to play lets make a deal and if the guy even makes it to jail it wont be for long.  So you are safe easy and will not cost the system.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I don't understand is why you seem to be so against the idea of a reasonable discourse regarding the law, and instead think that people should simply have to take the officer's word for it, just because they are the police officer and they said so.

If I have a question regarding the law I am being accused of breaking, it seems extremely reasonable to me that I should be able to ask details about the law in question, so that we can discuss it like civilized adults. Instead, you seem to think that I should be required to cooperate with the officer and blindly accept the ticket, because it's not his job to argue the law with me; the very same law that he has just accused me of breaking.

I know that my scenarios are extremely non-typical compared to the average encounters that officers deal with daily, but they have certainly shaped the way I perceive and interact with the police. I am extremely civil and polite at all times, but I don't hesitate to ask questions when something doesn't seem right to me. Officers are not infallible, and neither am I, which is why I prefer to go directly to the text of the law in question.

I don't think it's too much to ask of an officer to take a few extra minutes out of his day to help clarify any questions I may have regarding the law in question, especially if I'm being accused of breaking it.

Lol he obviously has plenty of time to waste if he's writing seat belt tickets.

In fact, if he is that hard up for actual police work his position should just be eliminated all together.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25628/88928.JPG
Like I said above there are plenty of guys breaking the law that are doing bad and need to be in jail but low hanging fruit is where its at.
My seatbelt is between me and my insurance company and of no concern to the state.  If it were they're concern they would out law motorcycles entirely.

But the guy gave the cop no choice but to do it the hard way.  cop is going to win every time.  No use in fighting on the side of the road, pitch your bitch in the legal system
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not sure I have seen the boards either
I just go out with a sledge and bang the pile back in place in the spring
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happened to me last winter.  I spoke with the twp service director.  No indication of metal on plastic means it was snow pressure and they won't pay cause their guy didn't hit it.  That's why people put up those snow deflector boards by their mailbox.
Not sure I have seen the boards either
I just go out with a sledge and bang the pile back in place in the spring
Same here, as long as the plow doesn't directly hit the mailbox, there is no liability. You need to have your mailbox secure enough to withstand the impact of snow from the plows. I have had to replace a mailbox because there was a chunk of ice in the snow and crushed my mailbox. Because there was no metal to metal contact, the plow was not at fault.

I haven't seen a snow deflector, many mailboxes on rural locations have mailboxes on pipes which can rotate so the mailbox can swing out of the way when snow hits them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, to spare us both the giant blocks of text.

If I am arresting someone, I am not discussing it with them. I am not negotiating. They can run, I guess, but it's not up for discussion.

If something that wouldn't rise to the level of arrest originally somehow led to an arrest due to noncompliance with a lawful order, it's still not up for discussion.

Quoted:

Like I said above there are plenty of guys breaking the law that are doing bad and need to be in jail but low hanging fruit is where its at.
My seatbelt is between me and my insurance company and of no concern to the state.  If it were they're concern they would out law motorcycles entirely.

But the guy gave the cop no choice but to do it the hard way.  cop is going to win every time.  No use in fighting on the side of the road, pitch your bitch in the legal system
Given that you're responding to comments regarding the guy wanting cops to be ICE agents... how exactly do you intend for a cop to bust illegals for being illegal?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh I get that. Just for the rare opportunity to encounter these scholars of the law is all I’m saying.
View Quote
Because so many officers are scholars of the law?  You’d be encountering someone at the same level of knowledge most likely.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

New Hampshire is an outlier, and shows a few things. First, NH also doesn't require that you have car insurance to drive, provided you can demonstrate your financial responsibility if you crash. There's no test roadside (like providing proof of insurance)... unless you are in a crash. If you can't pay the cost of the crash, there are big penalties, and then you're required to have insurance to drive again (SR-22). In that case, the insurance companies charge out the nose, because you're now obligated to pay for a policy, like other states.

NH doesn't have a seatbelt law for adults. That's true. NH was told by insurance companies that premiums would go up if there continued to not have a seatbelt law. NH called the bluff, because that's what NH does... but also because people weren't obligated to buy a policy to drive anyway.

That the threat never materialized in NH doesn't mean the stated threat wasn't there in other states.
View Quote
Everything you said, as far as I know, is accurate but the point isn't that insurance companies lobbied from some of these laws and, in some cases, made some threats.   That's all true.

The claim wasn't that insurance companies would raise premiums if states didn't pass these laws but that the insurance companies wouldn't underwrite policies.    You know, I know, and the states knew such a threat, if it was made, was bullshit.   The issue of seat belt laws is more complicated than that.

I don't blame insurance companies; they are in business to make money and paying out cash for medical treatments and settlements isn't what makes them money.

I do blame legislators who pass these asinine laws and the citizens who allow those politicians to shift the blame.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Because so many officers are scholars of the law?  You'd be encountering someone at the same level of knowledge most likely.
View Quote
Which is why it doesn't do any good to argue.

You aren't going to convince them as to what the law says, especially when they have their mind made up, and can only incriminate yourself should you actually be violating any law, whether you know it or not.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just for reference, i have a masters.
View Quote
Reference, for what?   I wasn't directing that comment specifically towards you.  I know this may be hard to believe but not every comment is a back handed insult or personal attack directed AT YOU.

As for education; a rocket scientist with a STEM degree could quit his job and become a cop that doesn't mean he's educated in the law which is what I had in mind when I mentioned education.  Is that person educated?  Absolutely.   Are they educated in the law?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

This is why arguments are best made in a court room with attorneys, by attorneys, and before attorneys and not with officers on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Exactly, you have no idea about New Hampshire because you don't know the history of seat belts or seat belt laws.   Seriously, Google it because there is plenty of information out there.

Oh and you seem to get upset quite easily when people point out when you say things that are wrong.   I am curious, why is that?
View Quote
You, and me both know the reason why is obvious as shit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh, you should have been more specific.
View Quote
Perhaps you shouldn't be so sensitive.

You're not an idiot; that's self-evident and I knew you had an advanced degree from one of our past discussions so I am not entirely certain why your mind went there first.

At any rate, it never hurts to ask.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Welcome to 3 months ago...
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I love me some SC videos. In most videos, I honestly don't understand how the LEO can remain as calm and professional as he or she does.  Especially when they start trying to outsmart the law.

At the same time, I keep reminding myself that this video is over a damned seat belt.  You know... protecting him from himself.  You know the cop has to realize that this stop is just about getting the revenue from the ticket.

I wear my seat but mainly to because I can't figure out how to keep the damn truck from beeping at me.  I'm pretty sure that if there wasn't either a control or revenue aspect to this stop, it would have ended differently.
View Quote
Also a bottle opener

Universal Car Safety Seat Belt Buckles Alarm Stopper Canceller
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Which is why it doesn't do any good to argue.

You aren't going to convince them as to what the law says, especially when they have their mind made up, and can only incriminate yourself should you actually be violating any law, whether you know it or not.
View Quote
If people vote for representatives that pass a law making not wearing a seat belt a primary offense what exactly are you going to argue about with a cop? Not wearing a seatbelt while operating a motor vehicle meets all the elements of that specific crime.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#36]
All that for a seat belt. Ridiculous on both sides!
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The amount of fugitives with felony warrants and other criminals pulled over for traffic stops is staggering.
View Quote
I feel its probably their pos/ dirtbag radar that draws the attention of the officer. While observing the POS the officer notes they have broken the law.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes, to spare us both the giant blocks of text.

If I am arresting someone, I am not discussing it with them. I am not negotiating. They can run, I guess, but it's not up for discussion.

If something that wouldn't rise to the level of arrest originally somehow led to an arrest due to noncompliance with a lawful order, it's still not up for discussion.

Given that you're responding to comments regarding the guy wanting cops to be ICE agents... how exactly do you intend for a cop to bust illegals for being illegal?
View Quote
Well, this has certainly been an enlightening discussion.

I was not aware that law enforcement had evolved beyond the previously held norms of civil discourse and respect toward our fellow man.

Here I was, foolishly thinking there was still a form of mutual respect and common courtesy involved in encounters with law enforcement officers, but through this discussion I have come to understand that any form of interaction with a police officer is solely dictated by said officer, entirely at their discretion, and for their benefit only.

Us mere mortals are not to speak out of turn or ask questions, and we are certainly not allowed to question an officer's absolutely perfect knowledge and understanding of the law. Instead, we lowly subjects are required to obey unquestioningly, lest we be arrested or beaten for our insolence.

I apologize for ever daring to question the omnipotence and omniscience of a police officer, to ever question the truth or validity of their statements, or to dare think that I might be able to even talk or move, lest it be at their request.

I certainly hope you can find it in your heart to forgive for daring to question the regal power and nobility that comes with the title of being a police officer. You have shown me that I am but dust beneath your jack-boots, not even worthy of speaking in your presence, lest you command it. Thank you for enlightening me, and showing me the error of my ways.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Animal Farm has essentially become a self-fulfilling prophecy?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#40]
You wanna see something, watch them piss off a judge.

Of course, then the poor jailer has to put up with their whining for a while...……..
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You just said you weren't going to argue, but yet you continue.
View Quote
Careful before he pulls out another ‘pre warning’.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is very simple.  When you are detained for violating the law, there really isn't going to be much discussion about it at the side of the road.  Why this is a difficult concept to grasp is really hard for thinking people to understand.
View Quote
But what happens when I haven't violated any laws at all? Am I not allowed to question the situation if I know that I have done absolutely nothing wrong?

It's no wonder there's a growing divide between the LEO community and "everybody else".

Based on this thread, it sounds like most officers wouldn't deign to lower themselves enough to actually talk to someone or answer questions regarding the nature of an encounter. Instead, it seems as though they expect to be obeyed unquestioningly, regardless of the circumstances.

In essence, it seems like many of you treat everyone you encounter as subjects, not citizens.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Laughable that he needed Jake to break and rake the window.

He could have used the hoolie-bar himself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If people vote for representatives that pass a law making not wearing a seat belt a primary offense what exactly are you going to argue about with a cop? Not wearing a seatbelt while operating a motor vehicle meets all the elements of that specific crime.
View Quote
Me?  Nothing because I'm not going to argue with them.

Other people?  Well, people like to argue and it is arguably a stupid crime so I can kind of, sort of understand why people would try.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Careful before he pulls out another ‘pre warning’.
View Quote
Ya I know, I see the nuclear helicopter finger wagging... having a chilling effect on any conversation they are involved in. Basically, don't disagree, and if you do.... or call out bullshit.... get ready for me to WARN YOU.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That is a General Discussion example of "fake news".  Police officers are still among the most respected jobs by the general public in many polls.
View Quote
Maybe, but perhaps you should send the memo to the police. They act like everyone hates them... thin blue line, sometimes there is just us, etc....
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But what happens when I haven't violated any laws at all? Am I not allowed to question the situation if I know that I have done absolutely nothing wrong?

It's no wonder there's a growing divide between the LEO community and "everybody else".

Based on this thread, it sounds like most officers wouldn't deign to lower themselves enough to actually talk to someone or answer questions regarding the nature of an encounter. Instead, it seems as though they expect to be obeyed unquestioningly, regardless of the circumstances.

In essence, it seems like many of you treat everyone you encounter as subjects, not citizens.
View Quote
So you're not taking the General Discussion sea lawyer advise and always lawyer up and never talk to the cops?

First posters here insist "never talk to the cops". Then, when they cops don't want to talk to them posters like you start whining that the cops refuse to talk to them.

You have the right to remain silent but it appears you lack the ability.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top