Page / 52
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Edit per OP request
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
PS - Ronald Reagan was quoting a poem by a RAF pilot who fought in the Battle of Britain. He got shot down.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check out this bad ass picture of our flag and patches that egress81 sent us.  

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7547/29852236592_655e4cb62d_b.jpg
View Quote
Holy Carp! That's awesome!

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that on the WB?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is that on the WB?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that on the WB?

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that on the WB?

There were a good number of arfcommers on the 927 rebuild in CO.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PS - Ronald Reagan was quoting a poem by a RAF pilot who fought in the Battle of Britain. He got shot down.
View Quote

Someone else mentioned that too.  We will try to give credit to both.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
]I would hand her a grinder and at least save the tubes. Worn out wheels and grinding dust have a way of educating new welders.
View Quote

She's going to be so pissed that she has to redo them......  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#11]
In before those brackets are found welded to the rear end of guns' pickup....  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She's going to be so pissed that she has to redo them......  I'll actually be surprised if she doesn't try to quit.  We will see.  

I'm going to have at least a table between us when I talk to her.  I'd dont want to get charged and beaten by an angry teenager.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
]I would hand her a grinder and at least save the tubes. Worn out wheels and grinding dust have a way of educating new welders.

She's going to be so pissed that she has to redo them......  I'll actually be surprised if she doesn't try to quit.  We will see.  

I'm going to have at least a table between us when I talk to her.  I'd dont want to get charged and beaten by an angry teenager.  

This is actually a learning experience for her.  It is much better for her to learn this in school rather than on the job.  

You might want to explain to her (later) that many employers have the "attention to detail" as part of the job description.  It was her lack of attention to detail that required her to re-do these.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:18:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That welding is fucking terrible.

It's been 35 years since I last welded - and I only had a very brief introduction to welding, and only did it a few time - and even I could have done a better job than that today, if you handed me a welder.

Tell her that an old grouchy fart on the internet thinks she sucks.  

View Quote

It's been a while since you've seen (today's) high school students weld.  The welds could've been a lot worse.

Guns, starting over would be faster.  Personally, I don't see five weeks of welding there--but I don't know your student's access/time to machines, either.
Grinding those welds out will take longer than it took to weld it...

Is she more visually oriented?  Can another student "mock up" (with wood) the braces that need to be built?

...of course, that sort of takes the "education" part out of fabrication from plans...

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's been a while since you've seen (today's) high school students weld.  The welds could've been a lot worse.

Guns, starting over would be faster.  Personally, I don't see five weeks of welding there--but I don't know your student's access/time to machines, either.

Is she more visually oriented?  Can another student "mock up" (with wood) the braces that need to be built?

...of course, that sort of takes the "education" part out of fabrication from plans...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That welding is fucking terrible.

It's been 35 years since I last welded - and I only had a very brief introduction to welding, and only did it a few time - and even I could have done a better job than that today, if you handed me a welder.

Tell her that an old grouchy fart on the internet thinks she sucks.  

I agree starting over is the fastest way.  I tried explaining what future employers will expect; some kids, more than you think, just roll their eyes.  

I definitely understand how seeing something, makes it easier for some.  I'm one of those visual learners.  Show me a picture and I get what you are saying.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Update 9/29

Welding fix is going much better than I thought.  

I showed these to another students this morning, and he was sure he could fix them......even without a cutting wheel, which apparently we don't have any in the welding shop.

He told me he could get them apart with a cutting torch.  Probably ugly if done that way, but will work.  I told him to give it a shot.

He's almost 1.5hrs  in to it this morning, and he's almost done.   Matching 4 degree angles and 6 degree angles.    He's tacked each piece, then checked for fit before welding it all up.   We should have wing spar mounts up by this afternoon.    For his efforts this morning, he's getting some make up points for days he's been gone, and some points added to a digital sketch grade.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  Update 9/29

He's almost 1.5hrs  in to it this morning, and he's almost done.   Matching 4 degree angles and 6 degree angles.    He's tacked each piece, then checked for fit before welding it all up.   We should have wing spar mounts up by this afternoon.    For his efforts this morning, he's getting some make up points for days he's been gone, and some points added to a digital sketch grade.  

The other student may get a few hurt feelings over this, but in the real world, you produce quality work or you get fired.  
https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7570/29892551932_16a1d43b2b_b.jpg
View Quote

Hope he's got some arm protection if he's arc welding.  UV is not kind to white people.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  See what happens when you take a woman out of the kitchen to try and do a mans job

I kid I kid
View Quote

I'd like to introduce you to a certain Army Intelligence officer - she finished her 10 mile ruck march in OCS w/ blood up to the top of both boots, w/ one of her Achilles tendons torn and needing surgery before she started.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hope he's got some arm protection if he's arc welding.  UV is not kind to white people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The other student may get a few hurt feelings over this, but in the real world, you produce quality work or you get fired.  

He's in the Art room in this photo.    He took his welding jacket and gloves off before coming down.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A couple times, I have welded a few inches of something without a jacket on, or with just goggles, and a day or so later I wonder to myself when I was out in the sun to get a burn.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd like to introduce you to a certain Army Intelligence officer - she finished her 10 mile ruck march in OCS w/ blood up to the top of both boots, w/ one of her Achilles tendons torn and needing surgery before she started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  See what happens when you take a woman out of the kitchen to try and do a mans job

I kid I kid

Sure. Is she pretty?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Spoke with the other student.   She was pretty understanding as to what went wrong and how to avoid mishaps like this in the future.  She even discussed the fixes with the student who is now correcting the work.  

Went better than expected.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Update 9/29

The bear is in the freezer.  Looks like it might make a bear skin rug.  

All the hanging brackets are in place, and we've got the fuselage upright again, but we did not get the wing mounts on there yet.  

More work on the top of the cockpit

To get the robotics people more info, we put the hinges on the doors today.  We had to shave one edge as it was twisted enough to hang up.  Wasn't too big of deal.

The engine cowlings are ready to get mounted up to the fuselage, but we want them to be removeable.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Spoke with the other student.   She was pretty understanding as to what went wrong and how to avoid mishaps like this in the future.  She even discussed the fixes with the student who is now correcting the work.  

View Quote
Good to hear!

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good to hear!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear!  

Agreed.  Accepting criticism of one's work with a positive attitude is an ability that many adults never master.  Nice!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Update 9/29

The bear is in the freezer.  Looks like it might make a bear skin rug.  

All the hanging brackets are in place, and we've got the fuselage upright again, but we did not get the wing mounts on there yet.  

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5611/29385898944_6c04bbb221_b.jpg

More work on the top of the cockpit
https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5549/29385905554_14c345ca69_b.jpg

To get the robotics people more info, we put the hinges on the doors today.  We had to shave one edge as it was twisted enough to hang up.  Wasn't too big of deal.
https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5110/29719561850_4b0a5e0ab5_b.jpg

The engine cowlings are ready to get mounted up to the fuselage, but we want them to be removeable.  

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8398/29385899164_644f4d9a19_b.jpg

View Quote

No lock washers on the bolts, guns?

ETA: First pic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:quote]

View Quote

I suppose it couldn't hurt, but even the custodian was happy with the way we set it up.  Even if they came loose, it isn't going anywhere.  The two nuts tightened down on each other are pretty solid.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I suppose it couldn't hurt, but even the custodian was happy with the way we set it up.  Even if they came loose, it isn't going anywhere.  The two nuts tightened down on each other are pretty solid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm no engineer and by no means am I being disrespectful, but if I was helping with the project I would install lock washers on all of the straight nut and bolt connections along with flat washers.

JMO.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Great project and looking good. Wished I had teachers like you back in my day.

You sir are a asset.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Great project and looking good. Wished I had teachers like you back in my day.

You sir are a asset.
View Quote

I have the same thought every time I F5 one of his epic threads.

I'm gonna have to move to Wyoming when my kids get to be high school age!

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Great project and looking good. Wished I had teachers like you back in my day.

You sir are a asset.

Maybe we could crowdfund a boarding house in his district for the Wayward Children of ARFCOMmers.  XCRMonger could be the house matron.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
See what happens when you take a woman out of the kitchen to try and do a mans job

I kid I kid
View Quote

I know this is GD and all, but Guns has said that there "Spies" from his class that know about this thread.  Might want to be careful of some of the comments that could make Guns take the thread down.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Update 9/28

One of my Art/welding students got one of our hangers finished and they look good.  We even got it mounted on the shuttle this afternoon.   We should have the other two on there tomorrow.  
This will allow us to get the shuttle flipped back over and start on he hinges of the cargo doors.   We need to get them functional so the robotics can narrow down what they need to open and close them.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8631/29366703304_28ccfce971_b.jpg

View Quote

that 2x4 is the main beam right? your hangar being offset to one side is going to make your shuttle hang canted to one side slightly
if thats your goal then leave it if not easy fix would be to put the rebar in a vise and bend the hanger over until the "loop" is centered with your main beam

no comment on the 5 weeks for a 30 minute job
but mistakes are how we learn.... student wasn't the first or last to get in a hurry and weld something up without double checking placement
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Update 9/30

Temporary display of  the fantastic package we got from egress81

We had a hard time displaying the American flag.   We started with it folded properly, but it just looked too small in the display.   I know some will not be happy with the way we displayed it, and I understand that.   We had a few different people from the office look at it and they all approved of how we have it displayed.   We think it's tasteful.   I hope GD will approve.

The girls worked pretty hard this morning trying to get the best look of the items.   They will probably trim the pictures and make some slight moves to compensate for the display frame when we get a little more time.

The latest Haiku is also displayed...

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not wild about the fonts either.    Good idea on finding old school NASA fonts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're killing the moon on the t-shirt, send Papyrus with it should rock an old school rounded NASA font.

Yeah, I'm not wild about the fonts either.    Good idea on finding old school NASA fonts.
Wiki says helvecta is the font on the shuttle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're killing the moon on the t-shirt, send Papyrus with it should rock an old school rounded NASA font.

Thank you!  

She found the "NASA" font online yesterday and I think she was able to download it on her laptop, but if that didn't work, I'll let her know about helvecta.  She is working on the first of three final designs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Update 9/30

...   I know some will not be happy with the way we displayed it, and I understand that...
View Quote

Tasteful, proper orientation, artfully displayed given the space constraints. Emulates a flapping flag. Bonus points for not being used as a doormat or running shorts.

No foul.  Carry on.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Update 9/30

We had a hard time displaying the American flag.   We started with it folded properly, but it just looked too small in the display.   I know some will not be happy with the way we displayed it, and I understand that.   We had a few different people from the office look at it and they all approved of how we have it displayed.   We think it's tasteful.   I hope GD will approve.

The girls worked pretty hard this morning trying to get the best look of the items.   They will probably trim the pictures and make some slight moves to compensate for the display frame when we get a little more time.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5549/30025120805_22d545e761_b.jpg
View Quote
I'm good with that display.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Fun fact:  The ceramics that the Shuttle tiles are made from have as a raw material a mineral known as Kyanite, likely mined right here in the heart of Virginia by the Kyanite Mining Corporation.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Big update on the way.......

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Wing spar mounts going on!

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Update 9/30

View Quote

Hell yeah that looks great!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Big UPDATE. 9/30.2

We got the remainder of the rabbit cage done today!!!

But wait, there's more.......

The wings...... yeah, we finally got to find out if the mounts would hold them correctly and how it would complete the shape.

The first spar mounts took a couple of tries to get what we think will be the correct angle.  Then matching up the second was much easier.    When we measured out the tips of the wings off of the floor, they were both 44"......exactly.  

Kids were really excited to see it coming together for the first time.  Ok, so was i.  Doors are now functional with stops at the close.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

that 2x4 is the main beam right? your hangar being offset to one side is going to make your shuttle hang canted to one side slightly
if thats your goal then leave it if not easy fix would be to put the rebar in a vise and bend the hanger over until the "loop" is centered with your main beam

but mistakes are how we learn.... student wasn't the first or last to get in a hurry and weld something up without double checking placement
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 9/28

One of my Art/welding students got one of our hangers finished and they look good.  We even got it mounted on the shuttle this afternoon.   We should have the other two on there tomorrow.  
This will allow us to get the shuttle flipped back over and start on he hinges of the cargo doors.   We need to get them functional so the robotics can narrow down what they need to open and close them.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8631/29366703304_28ccfce971_b.jpg

Yes, we were hoping for a slight cant.  We actually had the first one on the wrong side, making it cant toward the wall, instead of the hallway and had to switch it around.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#48]
More from today.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm no engineer and by no means am I being disrespectful, but if I was helping with the project I would install lock washers on all of the straight nut and bolt connections along with flat washers.

JMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

JMO.

If you are not tightening the bolt down tight, lock washers will do little good. Double nuts are great in this case where you cannot tighten it enough because you may crush the 2 x 4 between the mount. JME

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Update 9/30

Ditto. Well done.

Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top