BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$40 tool to gap a $2 part? No thanks. I'll stick to my $1 gapping tool.
View Quote

The fuck do you drive where a spark plug costs $2

Volvo gang assemble!
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Buy a platinum tip spark plug because they are already gapped  and you’ll never have to put another spark plug in that engine.
View Quote

There are variables.  Some spark plugs whether standard, platinum, or iridium do interchange in other engine applications that require different gaps.  You may be getting factory plugs for a factory application, and your statement would be true.  NGK in particular makes plugs that in some cases will span well more than one application.  Plus if you have aftermarket mods to your engine like a turbo, supercharger, etc., you may be required to have a different gap or even heat range.  Lots of variables.

I definitely don't agree with your "never have to put another spark plug in that engine".  Again...there are too many variables to make that blanket statement.  Platinum and iridium plugs do indeed outpace standard/conventional spark plugs by a wide margin in most cases.  They are usually given a minimum of 100,000 miles life span, but that is usually to insure the achievement of emission standards within that life span.  Most of these plugs with platinum or iridium will go much longer if pushed, but they will slowly lose optimum performance.  Where that point is will once again depend on many variables.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah really, when was the last time you bought a spark plug? @TheTallest
View Quote

Like I said earlier it was probably 5-6 years ago and I bought 8 plugs for my generator. I think they were $2 a piece. I have 1 left.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Volvo gang assemble!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Volvo gang assemble!

Answered twice already.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]
same here,hasn't let me down
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How is that better than installing feeler gauge and bashing on table?
View Quote

Pesty, was that question for me or another post above?

On the "bashing" method, I'll say you may never have an issue, but that method has no "calibration" on how hard the bashing is being applied to achieve clearance.  I use the term "calibration" loosely...LOL!...but I think you get my meaning.  Plus, that method does nothing to address the need to open the gap a bit if required.

The cheapest, best method is that simple, cheap tool I mentioned just above.  It's usually attached as part of the often "free" gaping tools you find at auto parts stores.  I don't post pics here.  It consists of two small gaps in the tool...one wider, one narrower, to fit different size ground electrodes.  You slip the ground electrode into the best fitting slot and gently bend the electrode toward or away from the center electrode to achieve the desired clearance.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The only way that'd be more non essential is if they sold a version for diesels.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Precision Raceworks Plug Gap Tool (& a few other neat tools) | MK7 Golf R
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Used to be much more important when gaps were much smaller, like .016 or .018
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I always use a wire gauge.  A folding one with gap bender thingies.  I inherited it from my dad, who told me to only use wire gauges on spark plugs.

I haven't had to gap a plug for a vehicle in ages.  But I do on my Echo string trimmer.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol,wow some of you guys are so up tight and angry this morning I bet if you shove a piece of coal up your ass you would pinch off a diamond.
I didn’t tell anyone to go out and buy this I’m just sharing what was given to me and I enjoyed using it. Made it much easier to adjust gap. Also everytime I’ve bought densos believe it or not gap is not at 0.43
Enjoy your weekend everyone & stay safe,??
View Quote

Lol for a few dollars, I'll fill an old gym sock with coal, rub my sweaty nut sack on it, send it priority, then they can jamb all the coal they want to in their asses.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy a platinum tip spark plug because they are already gapped  and you’ll never have to put another spark plug in that engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One of my cars came with iridium plugs, factory-specified change interval was 100,000 miles.  I lost track of things and didn't change them until about 120,000 miles.  After living through the bad old days of copper plugs, I figured when I pulled them out, they'd be completely destroyed.  I pulled them, and I was... flabbergasted.  There was a *little* bit of wear, but really not much at all, they were probably still within spec.  

I pulled out the feeler gauge to check the gap on the new NGK laser iridiums... they were all spot-on out of the box.  Gave them some anti-sieze, torqued them to spec, and went on with my life.

It's kind of weird that within my life, futzing with spark plugs went from something you had to do often and regularly to something that you either NEVER have to do, or at worst, once in the lifespan of your vehicle.

Quoted:

When I saw that, I didn't even think you could buy plugs for $2 anymore... I guess the single least expensive plug at Autozone is still $2.  But when you can get at least a basic iridium for just $4... why would you choose the $2 one???????
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got feeler gauges out in the tool shed, but this one is normally at hand.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

this

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Been using one like this since around 1950. IIRC it came from Western Auto. (I miss their stores.)
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

One of my cars came with iridium plugs, factory-specified change interval was 100,000 miles.  I lost track of things and didn't change them until about 120,000 miles.  After living through the bad old days of copper plugs, I figured when I pulled them out, they'd be completely destroyed.  I pulled them, and I was... flabbergasted.  There was a *little* bit of wear, but really not much at all, they were probably still within spec.  

I pulled out the feeler gauge to check the gap on the new NGK laser iridiums... they were all spot-on out of the box.  Gave them some anti-sieze, torqued them to spec, and went on with my life.

It's kind of weird that within my life, futzing with spark plugs went from something you had to do often and regularly to something that you either NEVER have to do, or at worst, once in the lifespan of your vehicle.

When I saw that, I didn't even think you could buy plugs for $2 anymore... I guess the single least expensive plug at Autozone is still $2.  But when you can get at least a basic iridium for just $4... why would you choose the $2 one???????
View Quote

Your observations are correct.  Plug life is a whole different animal in the modern era of unleaded fuel, better engine manufacturing tolerances, fuel injection/fuel management, and even better oils.  Excessive carbon buildup, oil blowby, fuel deposits, etc. are reduced tremendously these days.  Better plugs help too, of course.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

$2?

they are close to $30 a piece now thanks to covid
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I use wire feeler gauges.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

$2?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2?

I just bought 12 @ $15 ea.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Try using one of the coin style gappers on a fine tipped iridium plug and let me know how that works for you.

Smooth jaw pliers and feeler gauges are all you need.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just bought 12 @ $15 ea.

View Quote

i just keep forgetting how high spec modern engine plugs are for 2015 cars and newer

older engine stuff is still fairly inexpensive
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

i just keep forgetting how high spec modern engine plugs are for 2015 cars and newer

View Quote

Um, them same old "old" tech plugs will run those modern day vehicles just as good as the modern high tech stuff does, just for a shorter period of time before they need replaced...your fooling yourself if you think any decent engine is going to pick up gobs of power with different spark plugs or even ignition for that matter as long as what is their is adequate and working fine..those huge difference results are smoke coming right out of the dyno operators ass...
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You gap your spark plugs? Straight from the box to my motor!
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Um, them same old "old" tech plugs will run those modern day vehicles just as good as the modern high tech stuff does, just for a shorter period of time before they need replaced...your fooling yourself if you think any decent engine is going to pick up gobs of power with different spark plugs or even ignition for that matter as long as what is their is adequate and working fine..those huge difference results are smoke coming right out of the dyno operators ass...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them ol'skool plugs just need some acetone, and a wire brush. Fix'em up right quick.

Back in my hood rat street racing days. I would gap, index, time the damn thing 3-4 times. Only to turn up to a race with a Grand Prix GRP and a Honda SI with a turbo from ebay.

I was driving either a 2002 TransAm WS6 or a 1968 Camaro. Trans Am was about 600hp, the Camaro had 700 when I sold it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Them ol'skool plugs just need some acetone, and a wire brush. Fix'em up right quick.

Back in my hood rat street racing days. I would gap, index, time the damn thing 3-4 times. Only to turn up to a race with a Grand Prix GRP and a Honda SI with a turbo from ebay.

I was driving either a 2002 TransAm WS6 or a 1968 Camaro. Trans Am was about 600hp, the Camaro had 700 when I sold it.
View Quote

Yeah, I delved way deeper into shoveling money out the window then street racing..but yeah, I hear you..at different points in time I have run both MSD's baddest 7AL setups as well as their magnetos, either on really high octane race fuel or alcohol, biggest gap I ran on those setups was .019"....the ones were pro mod style 10K rpm plus big blocks on big amounts of spray, the others were blown alcohol big blocks,  but thats what it took to make them go A--B very quickly back then......Of course this was before electronic injection and computers really entered the scene for most racing other than for data recording....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top