Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Manual. Its what a true sports car is. But the PDK is faster on a track.
View Quote

Sweet, if I order a Cayman GTS manual it is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Porsche has always kneecapped the Cayman/Boxster so the 911 would remain King.  The mid engine design is more balanced, and is a better sports car design.  If they put a bigger engine in the Cayman it would outperform the 911.  But because they have never done that, and will never do that, the 911 is arguably "better".  However, the rear engine design is flawed in a high performance sports car, especially for novice driver's who may panic and hit the brakes in high speed turns and throw the 911 into a spin.

But they are both great cars, it's subjective. Personally, I'd rather have an air cooled 911 Targa.
View Quote

When I was signing the preflight paperwork at the Porsche Driving Experience in Stuttgart, the nice lady kindly explained that with the stability management (PSM) toggled on your total liability for the car was 2,500 Euro. Should you choose to turn it off...you pay for all the damage you incur, up to and including a full write-off. And..."we will know if you've turned it off".

At that time the "experience" was chasing a very fast factory driver around the back country on public roads. I left the PSM on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Comparing used rare and exotic models is not really a particularly useful comparison when talking about the general price difference between the Cayman and 911 lines, IMO.  Being able to find some specific examples of desirable used models doesn't really have much to do with the general point that the 911 is a more expensive car than the Cayman.  As an aside, why compare a Cayman GT4 RS to a regular 911 GT3?  Shouldn't the comparison be to the GT3 RS, so you are comparing apples to apples?  

When comparing new prices, obviously the 911 is a far more expensive car than the Cayman.  
- The base Cayman starts at around $68K and the cheapest base 911 is around $114K - that almost $50K more.
- The Cayman GTS starts around $95K and the 911 GTS start around $151K - that's over $55K more.

Even when comparing the more exotic GT cars, the 911 is far more expensive than the Cayman.
- A Cayman GT4 RS start at about $160K, and a 911 GT3 RS starts at about $240K - that's about 80K more.

The most expensive Cayman listed on Porsche's website (the GT4 RS or the Spyder) starts around $160K.  A regular 911 Turbo is already a lot more than that, starting at $197K.  The most expensive 911 listed on the Porsche website (S/T) starts at $290K - about 130K more.

(All of this of course ignores the expensive options that add a lot to the actual price )

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m thinking this is a troll post.   A “big spender” doesn’t go for the Cayman.  And if money is no concern, it’s the 911 all day, every day and twice on sunday

Wrong.   The cheapest used Cayman RS is 230k,  goes up to 300k. A used GT3 is in the same price range, so quite some overlap on 911 and Cayman buyers.  

Getting an allocation on any new Porsche sports cars is tough, doubly so on their GT cars.  

Comparing used rare and exotic models is not really a particularly useful comparison when talking about the general price difference between the Cayman and 911 lines, IMO.  Being able to find some specific examples of desirable used models doesn't really have much to do with the general point that the 911 is a more expensive car than the Cayman.  As an aside, why compare a Cayman GT4 RS to a regular 911 GT3?  Shouldn't the comparison be to the GT3 RS, so you are comparing apples to apples?  

When comparing new prices, obviously the 911 is a far more expensive car than the Cayman.  
- The base Cayman starts at around $68K and the cheapest base 911 is around $114K - that almost $50K more.
- The Cayman GTS starts around $95K and the 911 GTS start around $151K - that's over $55K more.

Even when comparing the more exotic GT cars, the 911 is far more expensive than the Cayman.
- A Cayman GT4 RS start at about $160K, and a 911 GT3 RS starts at about $240K - that's about 80K more.

The most expensive Cayman listed on Porsche's website (the GT4 RS or the Spyder) starts around $160K.  A regular 911 Turbo is already a lot more than that, starting at $197K.  The most expensive 911 listed on the Porsche website (S/T) starts at $290K - about 130K more.

(All of this of course ignores the expensive options that add a lot to the actual price )

I used the used market to reflect what car are actually going for.  Using Porsches website is not an accurate reflection of what is available and for what price.

I was just making the argument that there are people who will pay an equivalent price for a cayman compared to 911.   These people tend to be all about the driving experience and could care less about a 911’s status.  

The OP didn’t give a budget, so don’t know why my comparison is invalid?  Same engine, different body.  GT3 gets Aero that is omitted from Cayman RS as well as a few other items to hobble the RS.  

Current state of new Porsche

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1362057-992-allocation-only-now-wth.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The only real reason manual was "better" in a sporty car in the past was because it allowed for faster shifting and more control than an automatic.

The PDK shifts faster than a manual and it allows for more control.  It is not an automatic - it is an improved manual, which gives you the option of letting the computer control it.

So if you are all about nostalgia, and churn your own butter, and wish cars still had hand crank starters ... then by all means get a manual.  But if you are getting a Porsche because you want to drive fast and have as much control over your driving experience as possible, then the choice should definitely be PDK.
View Quote
Thank you for that. When I watch videos of the manual Cayman, I notice how long the gears are..., which likely means it's actually less fun to row gears.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The only real reason manual was "better" in a sporty car in the past was because it allowed for faster shifting and more control than an automatic.

The PDK shifts faster than a manual and it allows for more control.  It is not an automatic - it is an improved manual, which gives you the option of letting the computer control it.

So if you are all about nostalgia, and churn your own butter, and wish cars still had hand crank starters ... then by all means get a manual.  But if you are getting a Porsche because you want to drive fast and have as much control over your driving experience as possible, then the choice should definitely be PDK.
View Quote

Well Said!
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Get both (all)?
Truly different cars but if I had to pick just one, 981 GT4 with buckets.
Of course the Cayenne that didn't make the photo gets driven the most....

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
911 or gay.

Every Porsche but the 911 is gay and solely exists to sell cars to suckers so Porsche can make better 911s.

Get a manual.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you for that. When I watch videos of the manual Cayman, I notice how long the gears are..., which likely means it's actually less fun to row gears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Third gear puts you in jail:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Manual or PDK? I'm a diehard manual guy, but I hear PDK is amazing.

This is Eurofag crap and you know it.

I will get some better proganda than that hold on
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PDK always did remind me of churning butter. Must be the paddles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Instant coffee is faster.
Microwave pizza is faster.
Grow lights make plants grow faster.

But none of those things are better than the original way, and none give you the same satisfaction.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
And a mid engine sports car is indeed cool, but it's not a 911.

The 911 is a timeless, rear engine, rear wheel drive, masterpiece. Completely unique, and at home at a track or going to work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get both (all)?
Truly different cars but if I had to pick just one, 981 GT4 with buckets.
Of course the Cayenne that didn't make the photo gets driven the most....

https://i.ibb.co/5jWdcCx/FE24132-A-02-DE-43-BD-B53-D-10-E90-C73-C96-C-1-201-a.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/2Nt11S6/E12605-B8-330-C-47-B2-AE63-1-A860-F1147-B3-1-105-c.jpg
View Quote

That’s an unbelievable Porsche lineup.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
911 or gay.

Every Porsche but the 911 is gay and solely exists to sell cars to suckers so Porsche can make better 911s.

Get a manual.
View Quote

My Porsche client advisor (who is also my BMW CA) just sent me this.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But none of those things are better than the original way, and none give you the same satisfaction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think anyone said manual was "better" than PDK. Many people feel manual connects you to the car better, which gives some more satisfaction. Its a touchy subject, sure to cause histrionics.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]
The shape of the 911 is as recognizable as a Coke bottle. It is everything good in automotive. The owners are still the family and they literally tell people to fuck off, unless of course you said you wanted the GT3 in a manual. Then they said sorry here you go.

The new S/T is only available in manual.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/mgXgQ07J/Screenshot-20230830-204205.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
911 or gay.

Get a manual.

https://i.postimg.cc/mgXgQ07J/Screenshot-20230830-204205.png

Be careful around bloodborne pathogens when dealing with the gays. They're at higher risk for a lot of very serious diseases.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
It had to happen.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Be careful around bloodborne pathogens when dealing with the gays. They're at higher risk for a lot of very serious diseases.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#23]
The Ring fastest times are held by PDK cars. Just sayin.

Driving a manual transmission car effectively around a track will be a lost art. I think you should learn even if you will eventually track a PDK car.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Driving a manual transmission car effectively around a track will be a lost art. I think you should learn even if you will eventually track a PDK car.
View Quote

Indeed, but most people will never be able to use the advantage.

It's like arguing we should daily carry race guns because they're quicker. Sure they are, but they don't have slide lock followers and good luck finding a nice comfy holster.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

No argument. I like shifting. I don't feel its burdensome. My wife can drive a stick too. We don't track, even though she graduated from Bondurant racing school. PDK is an engineering masterpiece, but we don't really need it.

I also want the 981 Cayman for the N/A flat 6 boxer. Don't want turbo. Now that should send someone here into a hissy fit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah deciding manual or pdk for my gayman will be tough. I'm a manual guy, but I hear the PDK is amazing. Again, the long gearing of the manual may not be that great for Poconos back roads driving.

I'm not tracking it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#28]
These are cute little Metrosexual cars.

Wanna real muscle car? Get a Dodge SRT Challenger  -  a Hellcat or a 392.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah deciding manual or pdk for my gayman will be tough. I'm a manual guy, but I hear the PDK is amazing. Again, the long gearing of the manual may not be that great for Poconos back roads driving.

I'm not tracking it.
View Quote

Porsche Cayman 981 S - Manual or PDK? - FGP Prep Book EP39
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're talking about sports cars, not muscle cars.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not tracking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iKJ_TP-Hlg

Thanks I'll give that a watch in a bit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I cross-shopped the 911 and Cayman in 2014. I also did several PSDS courses so I got to learn how to race the Porsche lineup from Porsche professionals. My take:

• The Cayman and 911 are different, not higher/lower or better/worse. Drive both, pick what you like.

• People who parrot the "Cayman is a better track car" are right about autocross but wrong about real racing. The 911's rear engine dynamics make speed easier if you know what you're doing.

• Manual for the road, PDK for the track.

• Porsche makes their money on options and high trim levels, but base models truly are all you need. No one can stick to that, though. I sure didn't.

• 911s and Caymans are both normal cars for 90%+ of their use. They only make driving special if you have roads that allow it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No argument. I like shifting. I don't feel its burdensome. My wife can drive a stick too. We don't track, even though she graduated from Bondurant racing school. PDK is an engineering masterpiece, but we don't really need it.

I also want the 981 Cayman for the N/A flat 6 boxer. Don't want turbo. Now that should send someone here into a hissy fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. PDK is more fast, 3 pedal manual is more fun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes... because a high-revving, tight cornering Euro sports car belongs in the same discussion as a fugly stop light to stop light American muscle car. But yeah... I'm absolutely SURE that you'll convert some guys in this thread over to driving a Dodge.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you were a big spender, you would choose a 911.

The Cayman is definitely  the best bang for the buck in the Porsche lineup, but a "big spender" wouldn't care about that, and would buy a 911 turbo or one of the 911 GT cars.
View Quote

Listen to the experience.
This is my goal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Coming from a 392 Charger......They weigh too much & all that massive power SUCKS getting to the ground.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes... because a high-revving, tight cornering Euro sports car belongs in the same discussion as a fugly stop light to stop light American muscle car. But yeah... I'm absolutely SURE that you'll convert some guys in this thread over to driving a Dodge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I’ve ridden in a Porsche GT3-RS two times in the last month and I’m hooked…

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cayman = 944
View Quote

Obviously you have zero idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Just to stir the pot...
Manual for the gentleman among us.

Pdk for the nouveau-riche.

My choice would be 718 as a driver's car (not, you think youself a driver).

For all around use 911.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#41]
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK master race checking ...

I have nothing but respect for my 911 brothers, but I think this is an amazing car and I could not touch a new 911 for what I paid for my CGTS 4.0 new.  And if you read many of the reviews, and I would agree, the Cayman GT RS is probably the most pure sports car Porsche makes right now, certainly performance per pound as well as being naturally aspirated.  Ask me anything.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK master race checking ...

I have nothing but respect for my 911 brothers, but I think this is an amazing car and I could not touch a new 911 for what I paid for my CGTS 4.0 new.  And if you read many of the reviews, and I would agree, the Cayman GT RS is probably the most pure sports car Porsche makes right now, certainly performance per pound as well as being naturally aspirated.  Ask me anything.

https://i.imgur.com/CdlcIGp.jpg

View Quote

That uses the NA boxer flat 6 right?  Is that engine radically different from the NA boxer flat 6 of earlier years?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
BRZ with a supercharger

Spend the extra 30-100k on hookers and blow.
View Quote

You’ll have to go the hooker route because you’ll never get an adult woman to give you the time of day (let alone suck your dick) in a BRZ.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Initially they hamstrung the Cayman but the GTS 4.0 and GT4 changed that. I’m going to disagree about the rear engine design being flawed and point back to the fact the 911 is the winningest sports car of all time and has won across far more racing disciplines than anything else. There are some real advantages to the rear engine layout, braking and traction out of corners for example. You are right about the danger with a novice behind the wheel but a good driver can use that pendulum effect to his advantage

Here’s a great video of a really good driver showing you how to drive a 911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q_YDSgRa1U
View Quote

You either “get” 911’s or you’ll never get it…
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
911 or gay.

Get a manual.
View Quote

I love you, man. (Only a small amount of homo…)
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Initially they hamstrung the Cayman but the GTS 4.0 and GT4 changed that. I’m going to disagree about the rear engine design being flawed and point back to the fact the 911 is the winningest sports car of all time and has won across far more racing disciplines than anything else. There are some real advantages to the rear engine layout, braking and traction out of corners for example. You are right about the danger with a novice behind the wheel but a good driver can use that pendulum effect to his advantage

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Porsche has always kneecapped the Cayman/Boxster so the 911 would remain King.  The mid engine design is more balanced, and is a better sports car design.  If they put a bigger engine in the Cayman it would outperform the 911.  But because they have never done that, and will never do that, the 911 is arguably "better".  However, the rear engine design is flawed in a high performance sports car, especially for novice driver's who may panic and hit the brakes in high speed turns and throw the 911 into a spin.

But they are both great cars, it's subjective. Personally, I'd rather have an air cooled 911 Targa.

I like how everyone thinks that a car with terrible handling characteristics makes it a good car.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#47]
My gayman spec I'm considering. Less gay since it's manual.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRGX6182
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anyone can go fast in a straight line.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My gayman spec I'm considering. Less gay since it's manual.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRGX6182
View Quote

I like the colour...it makes it look less like a hairdresser's car
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You’ll have to go the hooker route because you’ll never get an adult woman to give you the time of day (let alone suck your dick) in a BRZ.
View Quote

Brutal, lol
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top