User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you drive your car for the enjoyment of driving? For the connection to the car? The road?

If yes, you'll love the 6MT.

Do you prefer to drive with your Starbucks in your left hand, or you plan to commute/drive in traffic a lot, or plan to chase lap times?

If yes, you need the PDK.

Otherwise, either will do fine for you.
View Quote

Driving the piss out of them on the back roads of PA.

I was driving the piss out of my manual M2 when it met up with some deer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’m hands down the poorest person in my Porsche club. I’m also into my 911 for just over $30k after 7 years so there’s that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much do you Porsche aficionado’s earn?      

Arfcom has a way of making me feel poor.    

I’m hands down the poorest person in my Porsche club. I’m also into my 911 for just over $30k after 7 years so there’s that.

Us broke MFers have 986s/996s, and same same, I'm easily the brokest in my club. Perhaps in the whole PCA.

Wasn't always like that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is my first rough cut. Will have to refine it with the wife. She's all in!

https://configurator.porsche.com/en-US/model/982160?options=030.085.121.153.196.1G8.220.340.342.439.444.446.454.480.482.534.567.573.594.607.638.657.714.810.970.9VK.9WT.BM.EKG.I8L.M1R.P07.QR5.U2.UI2.UX7.XAT.XEW.XHW.XLM.XLW.XXP.Z1S#section-summary
View Quote

@Consigli

Loose the locking wheel studs.
Sure you want carbon fiber as it another additional fabric/material.
Same with the black brake calipers. Just another color.
Did you consider deletion of the GTS 4.0 on the side and CAYMAN 718 GTS 4.0 on the tail?

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Consigli

Did you consider deletion of the GTS 4.0 on the side and CAYMAN 718 GTS 4.0 on the tail?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my first rough cut. Will have to refine it with the wife. She's all in!

https://configurator.porsche.com/en-US/model/982160?options=030.085.121.153.196.1G8.220.340.342.439.444.446.454.480.482.534.567.573.594.607.638.657.714.810.970.9VK.9WT.BM.EKG.I8L.M1R.P07.QR5.U2.UI2.UX7.XAT.XEW.XHW.XLM.XLW.XXP.Z1S#section-summary

@Consigli

I like your ideas and re-configured since it simplifies and streamlines. Added some. Kept the GTS 4.0 on the side as its small.

https://configurator.porsche.com/en-US/model/982160/?options=030.085.121.153.196.1G8.220.340.342.439.446.454.480.482.498.534.541.567.573.583.594.607.634.638.657.714.810.858.970.9VK.9WT.BM.I8L.M1R.P07.P40.QR5.U2.UI2.UX7.XAT.XEW.XLM.XLW.XWN.XXP.Z1S
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
another thing I really don't understand is why air cooled 911 engines are so expensive to make big power?

the only thing I can see is taking the heat out the engine, and if that's the biggest issue...fuck...just add giant oil coolers and extra oil capacity.
View Quote
13 quarts wasn't enough already with the front oil cooler? IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Then again, I'm the weirdo that wants a 73 914 with 911S front struts, car lowered 2 inches, 914-6 flares and with a carbed 3.0 in it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 2:18:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

that literally makes no sense on those prices.

you can get fully custom pistons from carillo for waaaaaaaaaaay less.

as far as cams....there are a myriad of companies than can custom make cams.

as far as the carbs....that's even more retarded....you can get a EFI controller for like $400 that will control all 6 injectors and you would just need a fuel rail and a tach signal after that then tune the engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but why?

makes no sense to me...just keep adding coolers...the part of the engine that is going to have the most heat applied to it is going to be the pistons...and there are a myriad of coatings and material tech already out there. Which goes back to keeping the oil cool, IMO it's just a bunch of mark up they charge because they can. It's not like the material sciences are adding that much more money to the build.

Now, if you are running somthing like a inconel 3d printed exhasut manifold...yeah that's pricey.

No, it's insane markup on an otherwise very simple engine. For example, I want to go from 3.0 to 3.2 which is commonly referred to as a "short stroke 3.2", the pistons/cylinders are over $6k, then new cams would be a good idea and those are $1500-2000k then upgrading the fuel injection from CIS to ITBs are fucking crazy money, hell, PMO carbs are $6k and that doesn't including upgrading the fuel lines/pump then tuning. I'm a little bitter because to build the 3.2 SS I want is around $20-22k in parts and I'll go from 180hp to maybe 250hp. It'll rip though, they're very light and geared kinda short. Oh, and that's only doing the top end, not even splitting the case.

that literally makes no sense on those prices.

you can get fully custom pistons from carillo for waaaaaaaaaaay less.

as far as cams....there are a myriad of companies than can custom make cams.

as far as the carbs....that's even more retarded....you can get a EFI controller for like $400 that will control all 6 injectors and you would just need a fuel rail and a tach signal after that then tune the engine.

Sounds like you’ve got it all figured out and are ready to change the game in aftermarket Porsche tuning. If only someone as smart as you would’ve come along sooner.

Hulley knows what he’s talking about. You on the other hand… “carillo for waaaaaaaaaaay less” here are some off the shelf Carillo pistons(I’m sure custom will be waaaasay less $)

Don’t forget the cylinders to put them in.

I’d love to see your $400 efi setup, lol.

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

here is the rear of an '84

https://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/1984-Porsche-911-Carerra-Wide-Body-RS-Tribute-9.jpg

You could effectively mount an oil cooler to those studs with a fan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but why?

makes no sense to me...just keep adding coolers...the part of the engine that is going to have the most heat applied to it is going to be the pistons...and there are a myriad of coatings and material tech already out there. Which goes back to keeping the oil cool, IMO it's just a bunch of mark up they charge because they can. It's not like the material sciences are adding that much more money to the build.

Now, if you are running somthing like a inconel 3d printed exhasut manifold...yeah that's pricey.

Emissions regulations is another reason they run hot. Also, there really isn’t any extra room to mount additional oil coolers.  You’d have to get really creative. The SC’s have a “trombone” in the forward section of the passenger wheel well.   The 3.2 Carreras have a finned oil cooler there which is right behind the passenger side headlight.  Starting in ‘87 for the 3.2’s, they had an electric fan that helped pull the air through the oil cooler.

To make cooling issues worse, one of the two factory AC condensers is located just above the motor. . . The other is located down low just behind the front valance. There’s over 20 feet of AC hoses.

https://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/1984-Porsche-911-Carerra-Wide-Body-RS-Tribute-9.jpg

There’s already an oil cooler bolted to the front of the engine just out of view and and another one in the front passenger wheel well with a fan.  

Do you seriously think you are smarter than Porsche engineers?

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 2:40:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There’s already an oil cooler bolted to the front of the engine just out of view and and another one in the front passenger wheel well with a fan.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but why?

Emissions regulations is another reason they run hot. Also, there really isn’t any extra room to mount additional oil coolers.  You’d have to get really creative. The SC’s have a “trombone” in the forward section of the passenger wheel well.   The 3.2 Carreras have a finned oil cooler there which is right behind the passenger side headlight.  Starting in ‘87 for the 3.2’s, they had an electric fan that helped pull the air through the oil cooler.

To make cooling issues worse, one of the two factory AC condensers is located just above the motor. . . The other is located down low just behind the front valance. There’s over 20 feet of AC hoses.

Probably fatter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 3:37:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is probably not even German.

It reminds me of this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Why-do-the-Germans-make-such-complicated-stuff-/5-2662200/

Seriously, @midcap, you should stick to your SME field of fat chicks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

agree, and I've been window shopping Caymans.  I still love driving my boat though.

https://i.imgur.com/OOcRnVEl.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a reason no super cars or race cars use a front engine rear drive layout anymore. Even GM saw the light with the C8 Corvette and rumor has it the Mustang may go mid engine and that’s a lowly secretary’s car.

agree, and I've been window shopping Caymans.  I still love driving my boat though.

https://i.imgur.com/OOcRnVEl.jpg

Different tools for different jobs. We took a road trip across the desert southwest recently and I was jealous of the guys in Chargers/Challengers  tearing by at 130mph. Seemed like the perfect vehicle to be driving in that situation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#12]
For those saying the Cayman is the better sports/track car. Here is a video of the current GT3 and GT4 RS, both have same engines/trans, the GT3 has 10hp more.

Pro racing driver and ordinary car guy have a go. For both drivers, the GT3 was quicker than the GT4 RS by about 2 seconds. Keep in mind, the GT3 is not even the RS version.
Porsche GT4 RS vs GT3: TRACK RACE
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#13]
On another note, this is the first cool day we've had in a while so I drove my little SC to work, took all back roads home and man, this thing rips and is so much fun to drive, I can't believe I considered selling.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#14]
If I'm able to secure a Cayman gts 4.0 slot, I've settled in manual. I think I'll be filled with regret not getting manual.

Keeping an eye out for used ones too, but they go fast. One popped up at Chandler Porsche was spoken for by the time I called in.

No hurry for me, though, as "parked" season is soon upon me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I'm able to secure a Cayman gts 4.0 slot, I've settled in manual. I think I'll be filled with regret not getting manual.

Keeping an eye out for used ones too, but they go fast. One popped up at Chandler Porsche was spoken for by the time I called in.

No hurry for me, though, as "parked" season is soon upon me.
View Quote

What did your dealer tell you about allotments, deposits and wait time? Just curious. Chandler Porsche is just a few miles away and I will stop by next week.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What did your dealer tell you about allotments, deposits and wait time? Just curious. Chandler Porsche is just a few miles away and I will stop by next week.
View Quote

Still waiting on word back. He said he's trying to work something out. Not sure what that means.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Still waiting on word back. He said he's trying to work something out. Not sure what that means.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll let you know what I find out. I may stop by today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any update?
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Any update?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you drive your car for the enjoyment of driving? For the connection to the car? The road?

If yes, you’ll love the 6MT.

Do you prefer to drive with your Starbucks in your left hand, or you plan to commute/drive in traffic a lot, or plan to chase lap times?

If yes, you need the PDK.

Otherwise, either will do fine for you.
View Quote

6MT is definitely more fun, (7MT now.) if you live anywhere there’s traffic and plan to drive more than the weekends, get the PDK.

No it’s not the same but you can row your own gears while being automatic. Faster obviously but the PDK is somewhat plain and you miss out but like everything it’s a trade off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think you would like the manual, but only you know for sure.  In general, manual transmission cars command a higher resale value despite not costing more at MSRP.
View Quote

I tend to agree especially because I experimented with auto when I was into challengers. I owned a manual, auto, auto, auto, manual. It wasn't until that last manual that I realized what was missing in those autos that I couldn't put my finger on.

I understand that the PDK is something different than I've experienced to date, but I just love driving manuals. I'm not a track guy, maybe an occasional track day or auto cross with BMW CCA (or the Porsche equivalent), but I don't try to maximize track times or care about 0-60 straight line times.

Thanks for yours and everyone's insights on this.

Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Then again, I'm the weirdo that wants a 73 914 with 911S front struts, car lowered 2 inches, 914-6 flares and with a carbed 3.0 in it.
View Quote

that sonds bad ass
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but why?

yes, because I don't have to dick with the manfuactuing process
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

yes, because I don't have to dick with the manfuactuing process
View Quote

Or grammar.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:33:51 AM EDT
[#27]
This weekend:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#28]
My sis has a couple Porsches.   She routinely chooses Attachment Attached File
to drive to get to Attachment Attached File

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#29]
911. I had a cayman s and a 911S and a few GT3s. The 911 is just in another league
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top