Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kessler syndrome might become a problem.

But Starlink satellites de orbiting? I'm not too worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiD8nGD0Q6w
View Quote
Kessler syndrome might become a problem but it won't be because of Starlink satellites.

They're too low for that.  Even if they collided and sent debris around that debris would deorbit very quickly and cease being a problem.  Kessler syndrome is more of a concern for higher orbits where things will last for hundreds or thousands of years.  But at those orbits there's also a lot more room... so it'll be quite some time before things get too full.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not familiar with the laws about internet service. Why would one not be able to access Starlink from a boat or RV? How is it any different than accessing the internet with your smartphone?

Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

that is the current model during the beta test.  it is expected to be expanded to allow travel outside your cell once they have better coverage.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anything could be used as a heat shield ... if you're brave enough.
View Quote

hesrightyouknow.png

MOOSE was pretty wild
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it hasn't been addressed in the thread, it's worth noting that these won't be traditional impulse deorbits that target a window, but rather an assisted orbital decay that will reenter at unplanned points in their orbits.
View Quote
Is that a real problem or not? I ask because I don't know much about how all of this works. I know things go up things come down but will these have any debri sizeable enough to hurt something?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is that a real problem or not? I ask because I don't know much about how all of this works. I know things go up things come down but will these have any debri sizeable enough to hurt something?
View Quote

The Starlink sats are made to burn up on reentry.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Starlink sats are made to burn up on reentry.
View Quote
I thought they might be.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't be so sure.
They are mini satellites after all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am sure some parts will survive reentry.
Don't be so sure.
They are mini satellites after all.

It takes a decent quantity of metal to survive reentry.

Mini satellites are unlikely to have any large metallic portions that will survive.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, so maybe we call it propellant instead?

These things are in a very low orbit and fighting a losing battle right from the get go.  It's a region with a lot of drag, so I can't imagine they'd be up there in that orbit without propulsion systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuel huh?
Ok, so maybe we call it propellant instead?

These things are in a very low orbit and fighting a losing battle right from the get go.  It's a region with a lot of drag, so I can't imagine they'd be up there in that orbit without propulsion systems.

1. The term you are looking for is "reaction mass". The fuel will be electricity from their solar panels.

2. They are designed to deorbit at the end of their lifespan. They are small enough to fully burn on the way down in an uncontrolled descent, and normal operations would deliberately deorbit them over an ocean or something.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm a tech idiot, so explain to me why 1 membership providing 150mbps couldn't be split up between quite a few households? For example, my family has an office with DSL 10mb service about 3/4 of a mile away, the phone line runs about 3 miles around to ever get to us and is not available. So I just put up two antennas/radios and gtg. Could we do the same thing with a starlink setup?

I have a friend who lives at a lake with no service whatsoever, not even cell service. And he lives down a road with at least 30 other houses. Why wouldn't he be able to pay for starlink, and profit off his neighbors paying him for it? Again, TECH IDIOT here, I'm assuming maybe there is a max device access on the accounts or something.
View Quote

probably be against the ToS to resell the service.  and if I lived at a lakehouse, why wouldn't I just buy my own Starlink Service.  that way I don't have to rely on your connection plus the wireless connection from my house to yours?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Consider me doubtful that it's profitable to send up that many satellites with that kind of frequency.

For the majority of people terrestrial internet will be faster and at least similar in price. Starlink sounds great for rural areas and countries with poor infrastructure, but only one of those will possibly have any money.
View Quote

You are still thinking in terms of millions of dollars per pound to orbit. You should fix that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Any idea on how big the cells are. It would be nice to have the ability to set up in a few different places without having multiple accounts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can't wait. Fuck the cable monopolies, I hope they all go broke. And die. In a fire. While drowning in a vat of acid. The only form of life lower than a communist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only negative I can think of is that eventually Starlink will become the Amazon of the internet and push everyone else out, with all the problems attendant with monopolies.

Can't wait. Fuck the cable monopolies, I hope they all go broke. And die. In a fire. While drowning in a vat of acid. The only form of life lower than a communist.

Someone has has experiences.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can already envision the joinery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bit of trivia. The Japanese are working on wooden satellites.

Bet those burn up nicely in the upper atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fElTppsKjpg
I can already envision the joinery.
Mmmmmm....

Satisfying.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Deorbit those bitches into the ocean.
View Quote

They are required to be Deorbited before they run out of fuel. And as mini-satellites, they will burn up easily.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, we’ve littered the Earth. And the oceans. Only thing left is space!

How much junk do we have up there now?
View Quote

Quite a bit, hence the self cleaning orbit.

Also we haven't even gotten started.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think he's bankrolling StarLink to fund his Mars ambitions.
View Quote

No think necessary, this is explicitly why.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No think necessary, this is explicitly why.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sure it is.    With reusable launchers your cost can go way down.  With disposable satellites they don't have to be built to last for decades and they can be made relatively inexpensively w/ the plan to upgrade them as they fail.
View Quote

Correct.

Here is a hint for the rest of the thread:

If you cannot explain why "Earth orbit is halfway to anywhere" and what it implies you are going to emit nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#22]
All I’m concerned about is dramatically reducing my Internet bill. Can’t wait to beta test it
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If it hasn't been addressed in the thread, it's worth noting that these won't be traditional impulse deorbits that target a window, but rather an assisted orbital decay that will reenter at unplanned points in their orbits.
View Quote

How do you know they won't target a reentry window? Do you have a link somewhere that says they won't/don't have this capability?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, centripetal force is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How do you know they won't target a reentry window? Do you have a link somewhere that says they won't/don't have this capability?
View Quote

It's hard to do with low-thrust (electric, hall, ion) propulsion
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
12,000 mini satellites start falling out of the sky when they run out of fuel?

Do we need to hang up our tinfoil hats and start wearing AR500 hats?
View Quote

Zick Zeon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Correct.

If you cannot explain why "Earth orbit is halfway to anywhere" and what it implies you are going to emit nonsense.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The 2021 US average download speed is 35.34 according to the first source I could grab which was WorldPopulationReview.  That's pretty lousy compared to what Starlink can provide.  

The thing is:  Rural DSL providers are really slow and that's a big part of why the US average is so low.  

There seems to be a consensus among rural customers that their DSL's have little to no interest in increasing speed - but they're giddy about charging a lot.  My rural DSL is pretty bad in what they provide - and that they are happy to keep things just as they are so long as they have customers.  

I'm way out in the sticks and pay 65 a month for, theoretically 12 down and 1.5 up.  What I actually get is 6.5 or less down and the upload speed is so slow, Speedtest dot net can no longer measure it.  It consistently returns zero up.  

I have quite a few concerns about the long term future of Starlink that run the gamut.  Even so, I put my 99 bucks down to get on their waiting list.  

View Quote

Lucky I was paying 100 for 20 theoretical and receiving 250k on a good day with lots of drops and 200+ pings.

I love my starlink.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/22E17D93-66BE-4E9D-B77F-EA9BDE1987DC-1870473.png

This is the way.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Any place rural enough to not have good internet already likely has power lines on poles. You string it up on existing poles.
View Quote

The city hit a fiber line with a backhoe on the other side of town from us, and I think they had to pay 25k to have it fixed. Judging from our electric grid fragility during a thunderstorm that may be costly location for fiber line...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

probably be against the ToS to resell the service.  and if I lived at a lakehouse, why wouldn't I just buy my own Starlink Service.  that way I don't have to rely on your connection plus the wireless connection from my house to yours?
View Quote

Because if you and your neighbor, or two neighbors split it, 100$ a month would turn into 33$.

I guess what I was asking more specifically is if starlink could tell how many IP addresses are accessing the service through one dish?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because if you and your neighbor, or two neighbors split it, 100$ a month would turn into 33$.

I guess what I was asking more specifically is if starlink could tell how many IP addresses are accessing the service through one dish?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

everyone has their own level of cheapness, but for me, it would be worth the full amount to not have to worry about my neighbor's Netflix addition using up all the data and me getting to suffer low speeds.  and if he forgets to pay the bill, then I lose my internet connection if he's primary.  or, worse, neighbor does some felonious stuff on the internet and I'm the primary account, then local LEO/FBI/CIA/NSA/RIAA/etc gets to knock on my door.  (that said, at work, I do provide a sub-leaser internet access over my connection, but that runs off my firewall in its own DMZ with a single static public IP dedicated for their use, with bandwidth speed limits as well.  that way, any issues that came from that IP address can be directed to the office in the back.)

if you put in your own router/firewall after the starlink equipment, with NAT'ing they'd only see one IP address sending traffic through the dish.

even without a secondary router to mask your intentions, if multiple users connected to the starlink system over wifi, SpaceX would be hard-pressed to determine how many families were using the connection.

and if I was doing this, there would be a router/firewall behind the spaceX gear with each neighbor on its own VLAN with no communication between any of the client VLANs.  if you don't do this, then you're all on the same network and you better trust your neighbor's kid to not try to hack your stuff since you're local to him.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

everyone has their own level of cheapness, but for me, it would be worth the full amount to not have to worry about my neighbor's Netflix addition using up all the data and me getting to suffer low speeds.  and if he forgets to pay the bill, then I lose my internet connection if he's primary.  or, worse, neighbor does some felonious stuff on the internet and I'm the primary account, then local LEO/FBI/CIA/NSA/RIAA/etc gets to knock on my door.  (that said, at work, I do provide a sub-leaser internet access over my connection, but that runs off my firewall in its own DMZ with a single static public IP dedicated for their use, with bandwidth speed limits as well.  that way, any issues that came from that IP address can be directed to the office in the back.)

if you put in your own router/firewall after the starlink equipment, with NAT'ing they'd only see one IP address sending traffic through the dish.

even without a secondary router to mask your intentions, if multiple users connected to the starlink system over wifi, SpaceX would be hard-pressed to determine how many families were using the connection.

and if I was doing this, there would be a router/firewall behind the spaceX gear with each neighbor on its own VLAN with no communication between any of the client VLANs.  if you don't do this, then you're all on the same network and you better trust your neighbor's kid to not try to hack your stuff since you're local to him.

View Quote

I agree with this ^^. It isn't that I *can't* share the connection without SpaceX knowing about it. It's that I don't *want* to share my connection.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

everyone has their own level of cheapness, but for me, it would be worth the full amount to not have to worry about my neighbor's Netflix addition using up all the data and me getting to suffer low speeds.  and if he forgets to pay the bill, then I lose my internet connection if he's primary.  or, worse, neighbor does some felonious stuff on the internet and I'm the primary account, then local LEO/FBI/CIA/NSA/RIAA/etc gets to knock on my door.  (that said, at work, I do provide a sub-leaser internet access over my connection, but that runs off my firewall in its own DMZ with a single static public IP dedicated for their use, with bandwidth speed limits as well)

View Quote

Thanks that is what I was wondering.

So say your parents live on one side, brother/sister live on the other side, (I guess whoever you trust with your wifi password) then starlink wouldn't have much say in the matter, and you could have them chip in on your bill.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on what you consider a problem.

It doesn't present a danger as long as reentry was properly considered in the design of the components.  

And even if some missteps were made, look, you can randomly throw lots of stuff to the Earth's surface and never hurt someone.

But, in about 3 years time, I think the problem will be that of visibility.  I think there will be something like a 1:4 to 1:1 chance of an observable Starlink reentry on any given day.

Look, we probably crash more cars than that every day in my small county, so in terms of "big picture" waste, it's not significant.  

But, overhead clutter is going to become more and more noticeable as the months and years go on, and the reentries will just punctuate that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think you underestimate the size of the markets for a product like this.

Just the Marine and RV markets alone are enormous.
View Quote

Right now the receiver is not mobile.

It is part of a cell and stuck at one location.

They plan on making it mobile in the future.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There's no whale oil on the moon to feed the satellites with, though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
12,000 mini satellites start falling out of the sky when they run out of fuel?

Do we need to hang up our tinfoil hats and start wearing AR500 hats?
View Quote

Even if every single one survived re-entry and impacted on earth, the odds of being hit by one are probably a fraction of my odds of winning the Powerball so I'm not all that worried.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Those people probably already live in major cities and have no problem obtaining decent broadband.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The users who will pony up anything Elon wants are those who depend on high speed and low latency. That means international finance/trading/arbitrage.

Financial firms spend billions on faster, lower-latency connections to give their trading bots a leg up on the competition. Starlink will get messages anywhere on earth faster than fiber, because the speed of light in a vacuum is 50% faster than the speed of light in a glass fiber. Even adding in the uplink and downlink hops, it'll move data between North America or Europe and Asia a whole lot faster than existing terrestrial links.
Those people probably already live in major cities and have no problem obtaining decent broadband.

the issue is that "decent broadband" runs over fiber-optic and the speed of light through glass is something like 2/3'rds the speed through a vacuum.  so, the time to send data from trader in NY to Chicago is slower through fiber-optic than through space or even through air.  I've heard of companies installing their own microwave towers and transmitters between NY and Chicago because it is microseconds faster to send over the air instead of through fiber-optic.  seconds are money to the financial sector.  any reduction of time lets them get their orders in faster than the competition.

it is estimated that the transit time from NY to Europe will be much faster to send from ground station to starlink satellite, laser-beam across the satellite constellation and then back down to a ground station in Europe, than trying to send it under the ocean via fiber.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It doesn't present a danger as long as reentry was properly considered in the design of the components.  

And even if some missteps were made, look, you can randomly throw lots of stuff to the Earth's surface and never hurt someone.

But, in about 3 years time, I think the problem will be that of visibility.  I think there will be something like a 1:4 to 1:1 chance of an observable Starlink reentry on any given day.

Look, we probably crash more cars than that every day in my small county, so in terms of "big picture" waste, it's not significant.  

But, overhead clutter is going to become more and more noticeable as the months and years go on, and the reentries will just punctuate that.
View Quote

This is true, but an inevitable consequence of humans no longer being isolated at the bottom of Earth's gravity well.

It's like complaining about seeing freighters on the ocean.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Fascinating Program.
I was born in 1960.
In the latter 1960's TV programs such as 'The Wide World Of Sports' repeatedly had text on your screen as well as Voiceovers, 'Brought To You Live Via Satellite'.
The Olympics in real time, Boxing Matches.
I was a follower of the Space Program since age 3.
We've come so far since then.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
What about the airplanes? I really don't its a problem.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only negative I can think of is that eventually Starlink will become the Amazon of the internet and push everyone else out, with all the problems attendant with monopolies.

This, at 2:05. 100% accurate representation of years of dealing with Altice/Suddenlink.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm not concerned about that. I'm more concerned I've never heard anyone explain what happens when terrestrial internet is so much faster than Starlink that it will become next to useless.

You can't upload new hardware. So they just let them burn up and send up new ones? Yikes.
View Quote

It's called launching new ones. They have a relatively short lifespan, being in low orbit. They are meant to be replaced on a regular basis. They get cheaper to put up there with each launch.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The big investment banks disagree, and think Musk will be printing his own money with Starlink.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what they do. The satellites have something like a 5 year lifespan before they de-orbit.  They are very small so nothing will reach the surface anyway.  They will be constantly updating and replenishing them.  They are cheap enough to do that considering spaceX also owns the rockets launching them.

Consider me doubtful that it's profitable to send up that many satellites with that kind of frequency.

The big investment banks disagree, and think Musk will be printing his own money with Starlink.

I don't think Starlink's big money going into the future is in the US, I think it's from Asia, then South America and Africa with the US in fourth place.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fascinating Program.
I was born in 1960.
In the latter 1960's TV programs such as 'The Wide World Of Sports' repeatedly had text on your screen as well as Voiceovers, 'Brought To You Live Via Satellite'.
The Olympics in real time, Boxing Matches.
I was a follower of the Space Program since age 3.
We've come so far since then.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12582/spock_jpg-1870670.JPG
View Quote

Same here on all counts, I remember.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

With the change to more ‘work from home’ jobs, people are realizing they don’t have to be tied to a location within commuting distance.  All they need is a reliable internet connection.  We may be looking at a move away from the cities/suburbs and into more rural settings.  Starlink will provide internet service long before the ‘cable diggers’ get the impetus to do so.  I’m already seeing that in my local area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think rural residents in the US are a segment that is growing fast.  But even if I'm wrong, the Starlink constellation is meant to provide for under-served internet customers all over the globe.  That number is enormous.  Absolutely Yuge.  

With the change to more ‘work from home’ jobs, people are realizing they don’t have to be tied to a location within commuting distance.  All they need is a reliable internet connection.  We may be looking at a move away from the cities/suburbs and into more rural settings.  Starlink will provide internet service long before the ‘cable diggers’ get the impetus to do so.  I’m already seeing that in my local area.

Good point.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not familiar with the laws about internet service. Why would one not be able to access Starlink from a boat or RV? How is it any different than accessing the internet with your smartphone?
View Quote

Some stoners in YouTube bolted a Starlink dish in the bed of a pickup truck.  On first motion, I could clearly see the dish portion flopping and bouncing around quite a bit and it immediately lost connection.

The dish aligns itself with some precision, then, behind the flatface is a phased array that supposedly uses precision alignment and tracking with the satellites to be able to get the most from not a lot of signal.

So I think some of it is the engineering limitations of the current dish.  I'm unaware of what the regulatory complications are.  I'm sure they exist.  As I expect you've heard, Starlink is in experimental testing with Starlink on airplanes and probably some other moving vehicles.  I expect they have some regulatory permission for those experiments and are definitely using different hardware and probably using different electronics and software to control whatever 'dish' they are using.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If something makes it down to 35,000 feet, it's making all the way down to the ground.  Might lose a bit of velocity in that last 7 miles, but she's coming in.

I've seen meteors streak right above airplanes before, like right above.  Thing is, though, to the pilots, that meteor was just as far above them as it was above me.  That's not to say that some portion of the rock didn't make it to the surface, just that all the impressive thermal stuff happens with 100,000-300,000 feet above air traffic.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Any place rural enough to not have good internet already likely has power lines on poles. You string it up on existing poles.
View Quote

A couple of reasons that would fail in some areas like mine:  They won't do it because the power lines around here are always coming down.  Much of that is because our power grid is worse managed than bombed out areas in Afghanistan.  Some of it is high winds.

Anyway, when I lived in rural Texas, cable strung under power lines was somewhat reliable.  Somewhat more reliable than my current DSL in rural Colorado.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top