User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does that mean it'll disappear from your phone if you already have it bought paid for and downloaded?
View Quote

Still working for me
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I had something similar with an app i used to use.  It was basically a quick, dirty and cheap mostly GUI way to roll your own iphone app, but because the content and function could be nearly anything, it was subsequently banned.   I think it stayed on my phone until i updated the hardware or the phone.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can downloaded apps easily be removed from private phones?
View Quote

If unmodified Apple or Andoid or if just downloaded via your Google play store, then yes - quite easily.  Unknown if they will do so.  My guess is this has more to do with revenue flow into Russia, so likely just pull from store and leave alone what's already installed... I guess.  Being a Russian App, who knows if there is skevvy Spyware embedded.  Generally Google will only go pull off apps if it's malware.  But then again, the get more Big Brother every year,  so who knows.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had something similar with an app i used to use.  It was basically a quick, dirty and cheap mostly GUI way to roll your own iphone app, but because the content and function could be nearly anything, it was subsequently banned.   I think it stayed on my phone until i updated the hardware or the phone.
View Quote

*checks to be sure auto-updates are off*
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh my....cant have russians using ballistic apps while the Xiden gave the Tali's BILLIONS in US weaponry and tech to re-sell to the Chicoms
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you prevent an auto-update on strelok pro on an iphone?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Strelok Pro is the shit!

Love that app.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Strelok Pro is the shit!

Love that app.
View Quote

That does suck.  I've used the free strelok, shooter, and jbm(lr shooters that's been shooting for 10+yrs know that one).  I tested all 3 with a ballistically inferior 308 at 900yds, when I first got shooter and strelok, to see how they compared to jbm and which was accurate.  All data was trued up and enviros and altitude were correct.  Jbm and shooter were within .1 mil of each other and impacts actually were in-between what jbm and shooter predicted.  Strelok was .5mil off from actual/predicted.  I played with bc and velocity but to make it jive out with the other 2 and actual, I was having to add 75+fps or .030 to bc to make it correct.  I deleted the free strelok app as it was inferior, I did like the ret library and the user interface was pretty decent, better than Hornady 4dof.  Maybe the pro version was better, but it wasn't even available at the time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How do you prevent an auto-update on strelok pro on an iphone?
View Quote

You can change your settings to not automatically download and install the new iOS updates, and set the apps to not automatically update, too, by going through your settings. Beyond that, google could tell you faster than I could, because when I need to do that stuff I just google it and follow the instructions I find.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You guys it’s perfectly fine to go after people for developing technology that is eventually used in ways we do not wish to support
View Quote

If this isn't sarcasm, you are a fool.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That does suck.  I've used the free strelok, shooter, and jbm(lr shooters that's been shooting for 10+yrs know that one).  I tested all 3 with a ballistically inferior 308 at 900yds, when I first got shooter and strelok, to see how they compared to jbm and which was accurate.
View Quote

Given that every app in the world relies on assumptions about the published vs. actual BC of the projectile, I don't think it's fair to judge an app by how accurate those assumptions are, as every rifle is, to some extent, a law unto itself. It's very hard for a rifle to make a bullet's BC better, but there are myriad ways it can be made worse - rough bore, too slow twist, poor loading techniques damaging the bullets surfaces, bullet having to obturate to fill a loose bore, acceleration deforming the shape of the bullet....you name it.

I don't remember the last time I shot a projectile across my labradar and its measurements indicates a higher than published BC, with the single exception of a cast ~450-grain bullet I sometimes shoot from one of my caplock muzzleloaders. BC measured out (per labradar data) higher than what the mold maker (Lee) indicated.

Of course, I have my doubts about the labradar's downrange measurements, too.

I say all of that to say this: I always expect to have to adjust something in my ballistic inputs after firing at longer ranges. Always. Perhaps once in a blue moon I'm pleasantly surprised to not find it necessary, but until data is proven in the field, it's always just a guess. Otherwise we'd all practice at 100 yards and not need a longer range until we were hunting and presented with that hero shot across the canyon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it was sarcasm. When in doubt, assume it's sarcasm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Been using strelok for like 10 years.

Ban math for the children.

View Quote

My app still works from what I can tell.

It is much easier that Applied Ballistics
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I trust the data from applied ballistics more, but StrelokPro has the best user interface among ballistics apps.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is he based in the US?  Maybe Apple and Google should be sanctioned for selling it to Russians?  Can app stores restrict sales of ITAR software to foreign entities or non-US IP’s?  

Seriously, I know nothing about Igor or his product, but I have seen the DoS go absolutely stupid over ITAR.  I dealt with FMS/FMF in the ‘training’ arena and the wife worked export compliance for a ‘major aerospace company’.
View Quote

As you already understand it..Technically..yes. All that open access ballistic software technically falls within DDTC/ITAR as does certain subject matter discussed within Arfcom and many other forums, if disseminated to foreign nationals of certain countries…without license.
As a purely technical exercise. Any/All technical data transferred to any foreign national that "could" be used to enhance, upgrade, or otherwise benefit any US Munitions List items falls within DDTC/ITAR. Somewhere.

It’s a lot like optics. One scope is deemed a Munitions list item because it has a mil/mill dot reticle. The same scope with a dot, 2 circles and no paperwork that says "ballistic compensator". Gets ignored.
Or a pump shotgun. Short barrel 5 rd mag tube is controlled. Same receiver with 26 barrel and 3 round magazine is considered a “sporting firearm" and exempted.

It will be what they want it to be when they want it  ?
Just like ATF.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys it’s perfectly fine to go after people for developing technology that is eventually used in ways we do not wish to support

It’s most certainly sarcastic. Sad that there are enough people who actually believe things like that to make it plausible.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It’s most certainly sarcastic. Sad that there are enough people who actually believe things like that to make it plausible.
View Quote

Sorry.

Just hard to know now days.  I've read things here from posters that blow my mind.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Ird the best ballistics app on the market. I really don't care for hornady or applied ballistics because they just don't work as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ird the best ballistics app on the market. I really don't care for hornady or applied ballistics because they just don't work as well.
View Quote

basically this.  It is easy to use, and gives you an image of your reticle with the drops on it.  Show up at the gong range, tell it the conditions, and it will tell you the distance to each marking on your BDC scope, and where to hold.  Hold it there, squeeze the trigger, and it's  Bang . Ping (100 yards).   Then look at the next distance, and it's Bang..... Ping (500 yards).   The thing is handy as Hell, and the ballistics projections are actually pretty good.  Though as others said, pretty much everybody lies about their bullet BC, and the error of BC' estimation is way higher than 3 sig-figs precision they publish.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Re-downloaded the Pro on my phone after forgetting to reinstall it years ago. Lol
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#22]
the state department is a bigger risk to America than Russia is, and you can backup your app if you are on android, get an APK extractor and extract the APK, then you can sideload it in the future on new devices.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:53:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Gone from the Apple Store now too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:13:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if he could release it under another name, through a proxy in another country.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:21:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Time to bring out the old hand computer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:41:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Laughs in Mil-Dot Master.

ETA:  Seriously.  Be analog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNxpVBq0kng

ETA2:  Ballistic Table Calculator website….print ‘em out.
View Quote

I have one of those. They work.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
the state department is a bigger risk to America than Russia is, and you can backup your app if you are on android, get an APK extractor and extract the APK, then you can sideload it in the future on new devices.
View Quote

Good post.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good post.

How to backup the APK?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Geo Ballistics works pretty well. As an alterative.

Strelok & Pro are gone from the App Store. But still works on my phone.

Can't the developer just call it something else and move forward?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Still working for me
View Quote
Same here and turned off automatic updates in my phone settings.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still working for me

I'm curious if you purchased the Pro version, does Apple/Android delete it from your phone?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

How do you do that on an iPhone?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#34]
What’s the actual name of the lrd app?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m 99% sure we iPhone users cant
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm curious if you purchased the Pro version, does Apple/Android delete it from your phone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still working for me

Android here
Have best version, pro, and gone from app store but still on phone and works for now

Auto updates have always been disabled
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Given that every app in the world relies on assumptions about the published vs. actual BC of the projectile, I don't think it's fair to judge an app by how accurate those assumptions are, as every rifle is, to some extent, a law unto itself. It's very hard for a rifle to make a bullet's BC better, but there are myriad ways it can be made worse - rough bore, too slow twist, poor loading techniques damaging the bullets surfaces, bullet having to obturate to fill a loose bore, acceleration deforming the shape of the bullet....you name it.

I don't remember the last time I shot a projectile across my labradar and its measurements indicates a higher than published BC, with the single exception of a cast ~450-grain bullet I sometimes shoot from one of my caplock muzzleloaders. BC measured out (per labradar data) higher than what the mold maker (Lee) indicated.

Of course, I have my doubts about the labradar's downrange measurements, too.

I say all of that to say this: I always expect to have to adjust something in my ballistic inputs after firing at longer ranges. Always. Perhaps once in a blue moon I'm pleasantly surprised to not find it necessary, but until data is proven in the field, it's always just a guess. Otherwise we'd all practice at 100 yards and not need a longer range until we were hunting and presented with that hero shot across the canyon.
View Quote

You misunderstand what I said.  I initially used the same bc and velocity, that was already trued up for that rifle.  I entered same bc and velocity in all 3 solvers.  Jbm and shooter were dead nuts on with actual.  Free strelok was way off.  I had to drastically alter bc or vel to make streloks algorithm give accurate prediction......the other 2 did not need to alter actual data.  This was same rifle and same load, all same lot components, on the same day within 5 minutes, with all atmos data validated and entered.  Free strelok was just wrong.  Also shot at 400 and 700.  I'm not saying strelok wasn't usable, but you definitely had alter "known" good data to make strelok correct.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Android here
Have best version, pro, and gone from app store but still on phone and works for now

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still working for me

Android here

Yeah I understand, but what if you enabled auto-updates on the phone - will Android/Apple delete the app that you paid for? I get it that you cannot download it now, but what happens to an already purchased app?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Settings - App Store - turn off app updates under automatic downloads. It can't update what it didn't download.

Then scroll down a bit further and turn off 'offload unused apps'.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top