User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shhhhhhh!

The divestors from Monday will not be happy.

TC
View Quote
Lol. Definitely not pension fund managers doung mandatory end of year rebalancing
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There’s no such thing as realized or unrealized losses in a 401k.  Nothing is taxed until withdrawal..
View Quote
What?

Say your 401K is set up in a 30/30/40 mix of small cap, mid cap and bonds. right now your small cap and midcap are negative for the year. If you re-allocate to 25/25/50 or 15/15/70 you have locked in those losses. Taxes have nothing to do with it. You are selling low.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What?

Say your 401K is set up in a 30/30/40 mix of small cap, mid cap and bonds. right now your small cap and midcap are negative for the year. If you re-allocate to 25/25/50 or 15/15/70 you have locked in those losses. Taxes have nothing to do with it. You are selling low.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s no such thing as realized or unrealized losses in a 401k.  Nothing is taxed until withdrawal..
What?

He’s specifically talking about doing anything this CY for tax purposes like getting rid of some stinkers to offset any capital gains.

You’re right about one thing though. People absolutely love to buy high and sell low. It’s mind boggling.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yep on Monday.
View Quote
Collapse on Monday?

What do I do to guys? Buy sp500 now or wait til Monday?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Collapse on Monday?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep on Monday.
Collapse on Monday?

Not only market timing, but asking the hive to market time for you. I love it
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What?

View Quote
If you’re setup on a quarterly rebalance of 30/30/40.

Your current mix would have the equity portions down.

So you be putting more money into anything that was was down on the year (buying low).  Anything sold would be assets that had performed better (obviously relative to the portfolio makeup).

Even if your “better” performing funds were down on the year you’re offsetting that by buying the other funds lower.

Thats the specific reason you rebalance regularly.

If you’re going from a 30/30/40 mix to a different mix that’s not the same as a rebalance.

Regardless realized vs unrealized gains are practically irrelevant in a 401k, and much more relevant in a taxable account where your taxes matter on your gains.  What does matter much more in a 401k is minimizing your average unit cost, which is one of the reasons why people rebalance regularly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There’s no such thing as realized or unrealized losses in a 401k.  Nothing is taxed until withdrawal.

As far as average unit cost, if the equity portion is way down, you wouldnt be selling any of those, you’d be selling the funds that were up or “down less” to boost up the funds that were down most.

In a debt/equity split of the the equity markets are down you’d be selling the bonds to bring up the holdings in equities.
View Quote
And that's exactly what will happen during the rebalance coming this Friday.

As far as selling the International part of my portfolio I will wait until it comes back up from it's present miserable negative 15.11% loss.
Or at least close to it.
I have a long life left in retirement and I have patience.
At least that fund is only 10% of my portfolio so there is that.

After this it's doubtful I will ever buy it again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As far as selling the International part of my portfolio I will wait until it comes back up from it's present miserable negative 15.11% loss.
Or at least close to it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s no such thing as realized or unrealized losses in a 401k.  Nothing is taxed until withdrawal.

As far as average unit cost, if the equity portion is way down, you wouldnt be selling any of those, you’d be selling the funds that were up or “down less” to boost up the funds that were down most.

In a debt/equity split of the the equity markets are down you’d be selling the bonds to bring up the holdings in equities.

Or at least close to it.

If you’re actually retired why do you have much stock anyway?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Or at least close to it.

View Quote
Why did you buy international to begin with? And what changed? Just that there has been a period of underperformance?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#10]
El 0 el ??
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you’re actually retired why do you have much stock anyway?
View Quote
Inflation and growth.
Try living on a bond fund in retirement.
Inflation will eat your ass up down the road.
Hell even a target date fund that finally moves to it's final conclusion will have you in 25 to 30% equities.
And since I mention target date funds since they are so prevalent at age 65 they generally have you somewhere between 50-60% equities.
Worry not,over half of my money is in a quality low cost bond fund.
In fact if I just pulled from it alone the fund would last me 15 years before it was exhausted.

Balance my friend.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Was yesterday a dead cat bounce?  Just checked and most major indices down over 2.5%.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why did you buy international to begin with? And what changed? Just that there has been a period of underperformance?
View Quote
I resisted it for years.
But everything I read said it was in your best interest to do so.
Honestly I don't buy that train of thought anymore.
But me being me and that is a soul of caution I only bought 10% in the fund.
Oh last year it made around 27%.
Not so much so in years past and certainly not this year for damn sure.
After I liquidate it in the future I doubt seriously I will ever invest in it again.

I can tell you the big firms such as Vanguard,Fidelity,and Schwab love it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep on Monday.
Collapse on Monday?

What do man? What do? Dow down 600
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hang tight.
Unless it's money that's absolutely needed right now or very shortly just let things shake out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I resisted it for years.
After I liquidate it in the future I doubt seriously I will ever invest in it again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I resisted it for years.

Gotcha. FWIW, there are some experts out there, Jack Bogle for instance, who agree with you and who feel that international for a US invester is unnecessary.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep on Monday.
Collapse on Monday?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Gotcha. FWIW, there are some experts out there, Jack Bogle for instance, who agree with you and who feel that international for a US invester is unnecessary.
View Quote
And he is also on record at keeping it at say a maximum of 20% if you just feel you gotta have it.
I was so tepid on it I chose 10%.
Glad I didn't listen to some other "experts" that were suggesting 40-50%.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I resisted it for years.

There are also a lot of experts out there that say international is an important diversification

20% of my equities are international.  However, this has not been a kind year to them
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are also a lot of experts out there that say international is an important diversification

20% of my equities are international.  However, this has not been a kind year to them
View Quote
True.
And like I said earlier the big brokerages really push it.
I personally dealt with it for several years and just have no love left for it.
It's a very personal thing and every investor views risks differently.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I resisted it for years.

Yup. Truthfully I think you could make a pretty fair argument for anything from 0% to market weight depending on how you look at it. I hold 20% as well though and don’t plan to change.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#22]
LOL

Muh 401K.

Yes, Virginia, things are really that bad.

And LOL at "It's Not Trump". It's not an Adjustment, it's not Profit Taking, it's not the Democrats, and it's not the media; it's that there's no faith in the market, Because Trump.

It's just Trump.

The USA Domestic and Foreign politics of Chaos have yielded why Putin and Lavrov got him elected in the first place.

Apparently, only when we hit bottom will the Trump Addicts seek help, and it's coming up fast.

And, NO, the people on furlough do not agree with the Shutdown. For a FENCE. THAT AMERICAN TAXPAYERS SHOULD BUILD.

He lies, and people eat it up.

He shits in your mouth, and people swallow it.

It was: "We will build a big beautiful concrete wall, and Mexico will pay for it, TRUST ME!!", and people sucked it up.

Now it's: ""The taxpayers will pay for a fucking fence, and until I get it, nearly everyone who works for the government will suffer the consequences, so I can look good."

Wait until somebody tells him how small The Base really is, and he takes the next step in Gun Control to try to get more votes for his re-election. Because it's all about him.

LOL.

I'm back into guns, and specifically AR10's & 15's, Because Trump.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

And LOL at "It's Not Trump". It's not an Adjustment, it's not Profit Taking, it's not the Democrats, and it's not the media; it's that there's no faith in the market, Because Trump.

It's just Trump.

The USA Domestic and Foreign politics of Chaos have yielded why Putin and Lavrov got him elected in the first place.

Apparently, only when we hit bottom will the Trump Addicts seek help, and it's coming up fast.

And, NO, the people on furlough do not agree with the Shutdown. For a FENCE. THAT AMERICAN TAXPAYERS SHOULD BUILD.

It was: "We will build a big beautiful concrete wall, and Mexico will pay for it, TRUST ME!!", and people sucked it up.

Now it's: ""The taxpayers will pay for a fucking fence, and until I get it, nearly everyone who works for the government will suffer the consequences, so I can look good."

Wait until somebody tells him how small The Base really is, and he takes the next step in Gun Control to try to get more votes for his re-election. Because it's all about him.

LOL.

View Quote
2017 is calling with 25% gains. Everybody is still up bigly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Interest rate hikes killed the market, which oddly the Fed is claiming we need since the Economy is heating up and we don't want inflation, right?

So.... If the economy is so great, the market should come back once the rate hike shock has worn off.
Or not.

It's clear its going to be one of those two outcomes.

It's just like in medicine, where we figure half of what we know is wrong. We just don't know which half.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

It's just Trump.

LOL.

View Quote
God Damn that's beautiful.
You managed to write numerous paragraphs, and not say anything other than "TRUMP!".
You assert he is the cause of the market collapse, but offer no supporting evidence.

I don't personally care for the Orange Messiah either, but I don't think he's destroying the economy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You managed to write numerous paragraphs, and not say anything other than "TRUMP!".
You assert he is the cause of the market collapse, but offer no supporting evidence.

I don't personally care for the Orange Messiah either, but I don't think he's destroying the economy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

It's just Trump.

LOL.

Lol, the economy is so fucking good the fed is doing unprecedented shit to slow it down. We’re in record breaking good right now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#28]
_Pew_
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

It's just Trump.

LOL.

View Quote
LOL, He's living in your head rent free.

Enjoy your sour outlook and shit sandwiches.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Orange Man Bad.
View Quote
Good talk, slim.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]
23,138.69 +260.24 (1.14%)

Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lol, the economy is so fucking good the fed is doing unprecedented shit to slow it down. We’re in record breaking good right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

It's just Trump.

LOL.

What is the Fed doing that's unprecedented, raising rates?  They prefer to keep the interest rate between 2-6%, after a decade of suppressed rates they are finally raising rates a slow incremental level like should have been started in 2012!
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What is the Fed doing that's unprecedented, raising rates?  They prefer to keep the interest rate between 2-6%, after a decade of suppressed rates they are finally raising rates a slow incremental level like should have been started in 2012!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

It's just Trump.

LOL.

After years of not raising rates at all.  They are now raising rates faster than they should be now.

Sure looks like they were protecting a fragile Obama economy and trying to slow down the Trump economy.

Could be coincidence, but the Fed has been pretty openly anti-Trump
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

After years of not raising rates at all.  They are now raising rates faster than they should be now.

Sure looks like they were protecting a fragile Obama economy and trying to slow down the Trump economy.

View Quote
Or maybe he's just unwinding the bad Ben Bernanke policies.

This is why central planning is bad.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

It's just Trump.

LOL.

Volcker must have been a mad man then.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#36]
That chart kinda puts Trump's current whining into context...
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That chart kinda puts Trump's current whining into context...
View Quote
Candidate Trump, good.

President Trump, bad.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Great. Now I somehow managed to sell short right at the start of a dead count bounce.  Hope it's not very high
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#39]
The US had significant inflation in 1979 and 1980.  By 1982, not so much.  By November 1982, inflation was below 5 percent [1].  Reagan's good microeconomic policies paid back with good macroeconomic results.

[1] In the 1970s and 1980s, a 5 percent inflation rate was regarded as healthy for the economy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you're actually retired why do you have much stock anyway?
View Quote
Because you will be retired long enough to realize some growth. When you retire you don't just spend the money in one day. You should still have a little bit set aside to grow.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

It's just Trump.

LOL.

View Quote
I don't know  whether to or
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#42]
alright boys,we mooning now. Lambos soon.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
alright boys,we mooning now. Lambos soon.
View Quote
brown lambos
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Because you will be retired long enough to realize some growth. When you retire you don't just spend the money in one day. You should still have a little bit set aside to grow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're actually retired why do you have much stock anyway?
Yes. But not by having a majority in stocks or stock funds.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
23,138.69 +260.24 (1.14%)

View Quote
If this keeps up, I'm gonna be a ten-thousandaire!

Woo woo.  I can get me a store bought haircut!

That is, until..........Monday.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

It's just Trump.

LOL.

View Quote
Lol, sorry your girl lost.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm still down 55K from September. I'm not selling shit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#48]
We've got much more serious issues to ponder.  We've got a man contemplating using expired cocoa powder in another thread.   Get your priorities right.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Muh 401K.

It's just Trump.

LOL.

The Fed lowers rates in a weak economy, and raises them in a strong economy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The Fed lowers rates in a weak economy, and raises them in a strong economy.
View Quote
Nope!!  The Fed may raise interest rates if they need to beat down inflation.  Raising them in a strengthening economy with little or no inflation is stupid.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top