BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And that's exactly how he feels when he watches any action movie ever made with someone who knows a lot about guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My brother is a chemist in the DEA. Part of his entrance exam was making meth. He said the method they used on Breaking Bad makes very low-quality meth.

Just try watching breaking bad with a guy who is an actual chemist who has made those drugs. It’s a complete buzz kill.
And that's exactly how he feels when he watches any action movie ever made with someone who knows a lot about guns.
Like when someone in a movie points a 1911 at people with the hammer down? Or in a shootout scene when someone’s pistol actually runs out of ammo, and the slide is locked back but they continue to pull the trigger 3 more time for that “click-click-click” just to make sure everyone watching understands that he is out of ammo?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The dash is silent

Also, fpni
View Quote
You're both wrong.  It's spelt 'voi-la.'
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It might be time to rewatch BB. Thanks op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXhRoY-Utxo

View Quote
That takes me back to my days of picking up hookers for a quick BJ.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#4]
... best series ever, regardless
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
oh, thought she was played by that other well known crack whore...who i cant recall at this moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It might be time to rewatch BB. Thanks op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXhRoY-Utxo

Wendy, played by Julie Minesci.

Wendy
oh, thought she was played by that other well known crack whore...who i cant recall at this moment.
Nope, Pelosi had scheduling conflicts and couldn’t accept the role.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Like when someone in a movie points a 1911 at people with the hammer down? Or in a shootout scene when someone’s pistol actually runs out of ammo, and the slide is locked back but they continue to pull the trigger 3 more time for that “click-click-click” just to make sure everyone watching understands that he is out of ammo?
View Quote
Okay, yes, very annoying, but those things don't bother me very much because they're not part of the story. I'm of the opinion that movies were better when ultra realism wasn't so important. The stories were great, so it didn't matter that trivial details weren't super realistic.

What bother me, and totally ruins a movie, is when the plot is completely dependent on something so absurd that it cannot be ignored. Like The Wall. That movie was the equivalent of having cars that could go a thousand miles an hour in a chase scene.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We'd have never known how psycho Todd was without this plot line...
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You are correctit's readily synthesized by anyone savvy enough to be an organic chemistry PhD.  I was disappointed in this part of the series for that very reason.  But just like gun oopses & superhero superpowers It's a plot device used by the writers for artistic licensenot a chemistry class.
View Quote
They covered this point during the series when Jesse is "on loan" to the Mexican cartel.  The existing chemist get's all uppity about Jesse not knowing how to make it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Wa-la, FPNI.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife is a nurse, she picks apart medical shows.

I'm a gun guy and a teacher. Action movies fuck up gun scenes and shows set in high school are unrealistic.

I'm pretty sure real cops call BS on cop dramas.

Aimless probably rolls his eyes at law dramas.

Point is, Hollywood writers are good at writing plots. They're not subject matter experts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They covered this point during the series when Jesse is "on loan" to the Mexican cartel.  The existing chemist get's all uppity about Jesse not knowing how to make it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are correctit's readily synthesized by anyone savvy enough to be an organic chemistry PhD.  I was disappointed in this part of the series for that very reason.  But just like gun oopses & superhero superpowers It's a plot device used by the writers for artistic licensenot a chemistry class.
That was a different chemical.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I think OP is in the market for a well used camper...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm a gun guy and a teacher. Action movies fuck up gun scenes and shows set in high school are unrealistic.

Aimless probably rolls his eyes at law dramas.

Point is, Hollywood writers are good at writing plots. They're not subject matter experts.
View Quote
 I've learned to let it go.  It still irritates me when somebody cocks the hammer on a Glock or has a running 15 minute gun battle without reloading.  Dramatic slide racking makes me want to vomit but I suck it up and keep my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Aimless probably rolls his eyes at law dramas. Antarctic documentaries...

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Making methylamine and making pure enough methylamine are two different things. Household chemicals are generally very dilute.
View Quote
examples are
Hydrogen peroxide used in ROCKET FUEL and EXPLOSIVES (at >50% PURE),  from the store it is 2% pure.

Bleach, actually 6% pure.

ammonia is like 10% pure from grocery store

vinegar 5% from store

acetone like 2% from the store(nail poish remover)

TONS of other stuff CAN be used for evil stuff, BUT generally isn't SOLD in that quantity.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#17]
That was brilliant.

“I am the one who rings the doorbell, and runs away when they answer... and watches from the bushes... and laughs.”
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Start at 0:59.  Count the shots.

[youtube]nOzR5Jnd6bU?t=59[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Because if they told you how to make real meth step by step there wouldn't be a fictional series
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Do You Want to Build a Meth Lab? (Frozen & Breaking Bad Parody/Mashup)
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Scariest scene
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Time is money.  Time spent creating methylamine is time you're not creating product.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Dale Dickey?

She's rough looking even in glamor shots...

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:

The actress that plays the psycho Snell broad in 'Ozark' is pretty rough looking too...

1) They aren't going to actually tell you how to make meth on a show watched by millions of people.

2) I have worked in a jail for the last 20 years.  The average guy with average intelligence is like Einstein when surrounded by inmates.
(not the dudes in for a weekend for a DUI, but people who live the criminal lifestyle)
(the ones that get caught at least)
This.

I had read somewhere that the producers/writers deliberately put misinformation with regard to
certain chemical procedures to discourage, foil people from actually making meth,
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I could never get in to that show.  "Hurr durr I'm a super chemist so now I'm making meth! "

They try to portray meth as if it is some super hard drug to manufacture and somehow so complicated to produce that trailer park cowboys aren't making it all the time....

Supposedly most of the "real chemists" get in to manufacturing psychedelics as they are harder/more of a challenge to make.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No, that was some other chemical, "phenylacetic acid" (I just looked up the subtitles, see 00:08:33).

Quoted:
1) They aren't going to actually tell you how to make meth on a show watched by millions of people.
Well of course not, that's what the internet is for.

Hell, the U.S. Patent Office taught me how to make carfentanyl.  Now if I could just find a source for someinsanelycomplicated-2,4-whatever organic molecule that the reaction requires, I could go tranquilize me some elephants so that I could do whatever one does with tranquilized elephants.  Get elephant AIDS I guess.  Since when was that fun?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
examples are
Hydrogen peroxide used in ROCKET FUEL and EXPLOSIVES (at >50% PURE),  from the store it is 2% pure.

Bleach, actually 6% pure.

ammonia is like 10% pure from grocery store

vinegar 5% from store

acetone like 2% from the store(nail poish remover)

TONS of other stuff CAN be used for evil stuff, BUT generally isn't SOLD in that quantity.  
View Quote
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, asked and answered already.  I wrote it as an EXAMPLE of how trivial it is to get them.

Real meth-heads go out and raid farmers' anhydrous ammonia tanks.  Because that's one of the four chemicals.  BTW, another one is water, which you can get from a tap, or, if you're Walter White, go steam-distill it and then run the partially-purified stuff through a reverse-osmosis filter and then I dunno filter it through a virgin's kidneys or something.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm finally getting around to watching this series.  They make such a big deal about "methylamine" and how hard it is to obtain, and sure enough it's restricted as a "precursor chemical" by the DEA.

But here's the thing:  I looked it up, and synthesizing it is something that any non-idiot high school chemistry student could do.  Mix four chemicals, three of which are common household supplies, the fourth of which is common and unrestricted and also easy to make if necessary.  Wa-la, out comes methylamine.  Even using "dump it in a bucket and stir"-level chemistry.

Heisenberg is supposed to be some sort of super-chemist.  Why doesn't he just hit the grocery store and mix the stuff up himself instead of hijacking trains and murdering kids to cover it up?

Bonus question: why does the DEA even bother to restrict it?  Even if there's no household use for it, if making it is so easy, what's the point?
View Quote
And while we're trying to get to the bottom of these big questions, howd that fucking pizza stay up on the roof so long without getting eaten by a bird?!?!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top