Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, you need a diver with a spool/reel with about 100 feet of line. The diver will pay out line equivalent to 2/3rds of visibility then swim in a slow circle looking carefully. After one rotation the diver will pay of the same length of line and repeat the process.

There are two real problems that you're up against the first being the condition of the bottom. If it's nasty, silky mud then the suppressor probably sank in it. Raking/dredging around definitely didn't help matters.

The second issue that you're up against is that thing probably torpedoed away from the area you're looking. That might end up being a saving grace and you might not have disturbed too much muck and sediment in the area.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Please keep us updated OP. I can't imagine what I'd do if I lost a suppressor in our tanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call the BATFE and ask for help.
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
8ft? Geez get a mask and fins and go to work.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn.  My EX-BIL lives in the Hawkins area and is an experienced diver.

The "EX" part being the damn part...

Check for some dive clubs in the area, or hit a dive shop in Tyler.  They would have names of those who would be open to helping.

Eric  
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Pond Thread:  Day 1
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like you are about two hours away. If I still had my drysuit and did not have two babies I'd be happy to come find it for you. I am a SCUBA instructor, but no longer renewed and actively paying PADI. If you wanted you could come down and I could teach you to SCUBA and you could find it yourself!
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Honestly, you need a diver with a spool/reel with about 100 feet of line. The diver will pay out line equivalent to 2/3rds of visibility then swim in a slow circle looking carefully. After one rotation the diver will pay of the same length of line and repeat the process.

There are two real problems that you're up against the first being the condition of the bottom. If it's nasty, silky mud then the suppressor probably sank in it. Raking/dredging around definitely didn't help matters.

The second issue that you're up against is that thing probably torpedoed away from the area you're looking. That might end up being a saving grace and you might not have disturbed too much muck and sediment in the area.
View Quote
This guy has done this before.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen first hand a suppressor that wasn't secured travel a long way...I didn't see you post exactly how it got into the pond but I'm guessing he didn't just drop it out of the boat?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have seen first hand a suppressor that wasn't secured travel a long way...I didn't see you post exactly how it got into the pond but I'm guessing he didn't just drop it out of the boat?
View Quote
Shot off the end of the barrel.
We're looking up dive clubs and rescue divers. To be clear this is a buddy of mine, luckily not my suppressor.   Sucks because he hasn't had it very long and waited about a year I think.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is it a pond or a tank?
View Quote
East of the Trinity it's a pond. In the good parts of our state, it's a tank.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Throw a sinker with a float on it where it sank, and we'll try when the weather gets a little better.
nasty here today.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Surely there is a local diver for hire... but beware, they often "don't find anything" - buddy lost her rolex off the dock here - 12' of water, diver claimed he couldn't find shit - I suspect he made $100 plus a Rolex :)   At least the risk of NFA theft may keep them honest
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Duck hunting with a suppressed shotgun?  Well fuck, I have heard everything now.

Nothing like pulling up and swinging on a group of teal with a 34" barrel.
View Quote
34" shotguns have been popular in trap and sporting clays for some time now
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Rent an excavator, scoop everything out and sift it on land... Bonus being excavators are fun. Worst case scenario the can is gone forever.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't necessarily worry about it burying itself in the silt. I've found 5# weights that were dropped sitting exposed in very soft silt. Real concern over it acting like a torpedo.

Hopefully a local shop can set up a search and recovery. That kind of water is damned challenging. I've done S&R with just inches of visibility, and it's not fun.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting.  Same thing happened to me, except all my guns fell in the lake.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]
How big a pond? If you throw a trash pump on the shore and fire it up, how much will it drop that water depth?
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#20]
AFT monitoring this thread closely so they can determine if the diver should be charged for posession of nfa not registered to him.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok here's the plan. Go downtown and find a group of hobos. Tell them whoever recovers the suppressor gets $200 to buy whatever drug they like. Load everyone into the back of your pick up.  Someone will recover it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#23]
This is the answer you seek.

+

+

Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Find a diving/Scuba type forum and post the same question there.  I bet some diving nerds will come get it for fun
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Was it a Salvo? If so, those things are as hydrodynamic as a shoe box. I'd venture it is within 5 feet of where it splashed, straight down.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Was it a Salvo? If so, those things are as hydrodynamic as a shoe box. I'd venture it is within 5 feet of where it splashed, straight down.
View Quote
Saker.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, whoever comes out to get it needs to be familiar with 2 very important things, especially in a low-visibility environment:

1: A systematic approach to the search -- someone above mentioned using a spool and some line to mark out a search area, and that's a great idea.

2: Exceptional buoyancy control and non-silting kicks.  If this is in a silty pond, one errant hand movement or fin kick will stir up the muck and destroy the visibility.  More importantly, if the silt hasn't been disturbed yet, there is likely a small slit/hole in the silt where the suppressor fell into the muck -- THAT is what the divers should be looking for (assuming the suppressor isn't just sticking out of the bottom and easy to see).  If you stir up the silt, that small hole in the silt will vanish and you'll have to just dredge the bottom to find it.

They'll also need a serious dive light.  Preferably HID or LED, cave-light style.  The 'gun' style dive lights will be mostly worthless in an actual low visibility environment but the cave lights will help cut through the muck.

Good luck.

Edit: You could post this over on Scubaboard and I bet you'd have plenty of people offering to help.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP, whoever comes out to get it needs to be familiar with 2 very important things, especially in a low-visibility environment:

1: A systematic approach to the search -- someone above mentioned using a spool and some line to mark out a search area, and that's a great idea.

2: Exceptional buoyancy control and non-silting kicks.  If this is in a silty pond, one errant hand movement or fin kick will stir up the muck and destroy the visibility.  More importantly, if the silt hasn't been disturbed yet, there is likely a small slit/hole in the silt where the suppressor fell into the muck -- THAT is what the divers should be looking for (assuming the suppressor isn't just sticking out of the bottom and easy to see).  If you stir up the silt, that small hole in the silt will vanish and you'll have to just dredge the bottom to find it.

They'll also need a serious dive light.  Preferably HID or LED, cave-light style.  The 'gun' style dive lights will be mostly worthless in an actual low visibility environment but the cave lights will help cut through the muck.

Good luck.

Edit: You could post this over on Scubaboard and I bet you'd have plenty of people offering to help.
View Quote
Man, I wish I could afford one of those good cave lights. A buddy bought a Chinese one that leaks every time he's tried it.

I have a couple of 1k lumen lights, but yeah, If the silt blows up, they're worthless.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#29]
At 35 feet across the pond, if I read correctly, it is most likely on the other shore.  I launched a Spewar 762 about 12-15 yards.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Man, I wish I could afford one of those good cave lights. A buddy bought a Chinese one that leaks every time he's tried it.

I have a couple of 1k lumen lights, but yeah, If the silt blows up, they're worthless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

They're only $1,500.  Go be poor somewhere else.

J/K, they're ridiculously expensive, and I almost regret buying one.  It's been sitting in my house unused for years.  Kids tend to put a damper on diving for awhile.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish I was closer.  My wife and have all the gear and we would come and help just for the fun and challenge of it.  She has found many a corpses at the bottom of lakes.  Im sure you will find a few dive masters that will be fired up to take on that challenge.  Just dont go out there mucking up the bottom with a rake. That will just make things more difficult.  I am almost certain someone will have to be down there with eyes on.

Good luck OP
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

J/K, they're ridiculously expensive, and I almost regret buying one.  It's been sitting in my house unused for years.  Kids tend to put a damper on diving for awhile.
View Quote
Just the equipment in your avatar give my credit card PTSD! I'll stick to being a poor instructor!
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
You need those kind of lights with that water you dive in of the NC coast.  The diving there is a whole different animal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a dodgeball.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Contact the local FD and or PD. They may have a dive team. It would be good training for them. If you can find a suppressor, you can find a body/weapon etc.
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a dodgeball.
LOL, I thought of that line as well. Gold right there!
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I am going to second or third the trash pump idea. Pretty much any size will drain it down to a few feet and getting there it will just be a matter of finding it.

Don't use an excavator or large equipment. Pretty good chance of burying it deeper.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Suppressor in a Pond is the new Safe Thread.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#37]
If the pond is like our tanks then its probably buried from the raking and dredging. And from buddy jumping in looking for it. Like someone said before if it torpedoed just a little bit it could be a godsend.

Draining the pond would be a good idea if feasible. Like no livestock needs it for the water and you can get a water pump pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Good luck.

View Quote
Quoted:
I wish I was closer.  My wife and have all the gear and we would come and help just for the fun and challenge of it.  She has found many a corpses at the bottom of lakes.  Im sure you will find a few dive masters that will be fired up to take on that challenge.  Just dont go out there mucking up the bottom with a rake. That will just make things more difficult.  I am almost certain someone will have to be down there with eyes on.

Good luck OP
View Quote
didn't OP say the owner has been trying with a magnet for days? I think if there's a silt layer, they may have already covered up the can with their attempts at recovery.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Do it old school dive style. Wear weights and walk along the bottom with an air tube to the top. Make a video when you do it and post it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I know we have an arfcommer who goes into the drink for loot.  His rule is finders-keepers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Saker.
View Quote
Suspicion confirmed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Balforin did not take Woodshop for one of his Higher Free Electives.

View Quote
Looks like someone forgot to sign out of their shill account before posting
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I was starting to wonder if op took everyone's advice and drown
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'll be damned, an actual boating accident!

Posting the loss on a public forum is smart, but the body of water needs to be larger.

View Quote
I lost all mine too. Each one the day after stamp was approved. Amazing...
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#45]
The good news is most divers in Texas are used to crappy dive conditions.  

Talk to these people.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/forums/texas.34/
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Sucks. Last year I was shooting my FNC and my suppressor launched into the trinity. I was able to see the splash and never took my eyes off that spot in the water. Fell about 10 feet off the cliff into the water then walked strait to the spot where I saw the splash. The water just had to go from 3 feet to 6 feet in that spot.  Froze my ass off, but it took me about half an hour of going to the bottom and pulling up clams, sticks, and barbed wire before I found it lodged about half a foot deep into the mud.

Next day I woke up with 105 temperature. Turns out getting cut up while swimming in the trinity is a bad idea. Few shots and a hand full of pills later I was all good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
>snip<
Next day I woke up with 105 temperature. Turns out getting cut up while swimming in the trinity is a bad idea. Few shots and a hand full of pills later I was all good.
View Quote
Fixed that
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
8ft? Geez get a mask and fins and go to work.
View Quote
No shit. But it's cold...lol
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Drain the pond.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Pay for my plane ticket home, and I’ll road trip to you and give it a shot.

I have my own equipment
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top