Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was it ‘Trumps’ Supreme Court that sent Remington packing.. does the cuckmaster get credit for that one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine that was in the process of being anti-Trump.  They are probably hoping this issue will cause people to oppose him, and that may happen in NY, but who there is for him anyway?

This is a fine example of the good Trump has done for 2A issues by appointing conservative judges, and chances are if he is re-elected he will get the chance to appoint more.
I'll wait to see actual results before breaking out the Champagne............
Well NY did change the law in response to Trumps Supreme Court taking up the case. Not a sweeping victory but Obama’s court wouldn’t have taken the case at all.
Was it ‘Trumps’ Supreme Court that sent Remington packing.. does the cuckmaster get credit for that one?
Do you consider that to be an anti 2A ruling? I do not.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if it was this thread or another that posted the hour-long audio of the argument of NYSRPA v. City of NY, but I just stumped upon this version from Reddit -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z7WVOorveU

I already listened to the whole thing yesterday, but neat to see the "toon" version. Makes it easier to follow along who is talking. Though they animated RBG upright.

The attorney arguing for the Plantiffs (Clement) did a hell of a job.. did some research and he is very experienced in arguing in front of the USSC. The guy representing NYC was all "umm, uhh, well, ahhh". Basically saying anything he could to say "oh yeah, totally moot, we won't hassle them, no way".
View Quote
When you want to get the SC's attention, you drop Texa$$$$ on Clement and pray the loser is forced to pay your attorney's fees. He won 65% of his 23 arguments in 2013 to 2017, along with representing the US in Heller and the NRA in McDonald.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if it was this thread or another that posted the hour-long audio of the argument of NYSRPA v. City of NY, but I just stumped upon this version from Reddit -

I already listened to the whole thing yesterday, but neat to see the "toon" version. Makes it easier to follow along who is talking. Though they animated RBG upright.

The attorney arguing for the Plantiffs (Clement) did a hell of a job.. did some research and he is very experienced in arguing in front of the USSC. The guy representing NYC was all "umm, uhh, well, ahhh". Basically saying anything he could to say "oh yeah, totally moot, we won't hassle them, no way".
View Quote
Thanks for the link.  I had already read the transcripts soon after they were released, but hearing the oral arguments is well worth the time.

I got a more positive spin from hearing the arguments than I did from reading them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine that was in the process of being anti-Trump.  They are probably hoping this issue will cause people to oppose him, and that may happen in NY, but who there is for him anyway?

This is a fine example of the good Trump has done for 2A issues by appointing conservative judges, and chances are if he is re-elected he will get the chance to appoint more.
Well NY did change the law in response to Trumps Supreme Court taking up the case. Not a sweeping victory but Obama’s court wouldn’t have taken the case at all.
Neither is the mooting of this case, by that logic
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just registered.

I wonder what kind of hors d’oevres, and whether they will have valet parking.  
View Quote
Imitation crab meat.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
And Sotomayor isn't fat enough, Thomas doesn't have his six-head, etc.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mooting the case would be a delay for the side of gun rights. But not an anti gun ruling
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mooting the case would be a delay for the side of gun rights. But not an anti gun ruling
View Quote
Mooting this case would show every government body in the nation that all you have to do is do unconstitutional things right up until the SCOTUS grants Cert and then change the law and double pinky swear you won't change it back.

It's anti-gun, it's anti-constitution, anti-freedom and anti- government accountability.  No big deal though...right?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mooting this case would show every government body in the nation that all you have to do is do unconstitutional things right up until the SCOTUS grants Cert and then change the law and double pinky swear you won't change it back.

It's anti-gun, it's anti-constitution, anti-freedom and anti- government accountability.  No big deal though...right?
View Quote
Are you just being argumentative or do you really have no idea how legal challenges work?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such a tool
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you just being argumentative or do you really have no idea how legal challenges work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have this mental gymnastics thing down.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Such a tool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such a tool
Que?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
The question in the Remington case was; Is a corporation partially liable for the illegal use of a product if its advertising promoted the illegal use. its not a guns rights question.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The question in the Remington case was; Is a corporation partially liable for the illegal use of a product if its advertising promoted the illegal use. its not a guns rights question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think it’s going to turn out the way you think it’s going to turn out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did you listen to the audio of the oral arguments?  Everyone involved recognizes that the state took specific and extraordinary measures to change the law so that this case would be considered moot, only after the court granted cert.   This maneuvering has a history at the supreme court and there is case law specifically addressing the inadequacy of these type of actions as a remedy.

When challenged on the specifics of the the law the city only offered their word as assurance that no repercussions would befall the plaintiffs...I'm sorry but in a state where your guns rights specific to hand guns are determined based on your "need" and "moral character" as determined by bureaucrats....that's not good enough.

NYS actively opposes gun rights at every level.  Their actions are not to be considered in good faith, and the actions of the state legislature were indeed cynical.

The points I paraphrased and maybe dramatized in my post aren't mine, they are the points made by the solicitor general, Mr. Clement and various supreme court justices....so please...inform the class why they are wrong.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of us know how its going to turn. All the Supreme Court was said it let it go to trial. Now the lawyers get to fight it out and the jury will decide. No different than if i sued Toyota or Round Up. Not a gun rights case.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did you listen to the audio of the oral arguments?  Everyone involved recognizes that the state took specific and extraordinary measures to change the law so that this case would be considered moot, only after the court granted cert.   This maneuvering has a history at the supreme court and there is case law specifically addressing the inadequacy of these type of actions as a remedy.

When challenged on the specifics of the the law the city only afford their word as assurance that no repercussions would befall the plaintiffs...I'm sorry but in a state where your guns rights specific to hand guns are determined based on your "need" and "moral character" as determined by bureaucrats....that's not good enough.

NYS actively opposes gun rights at every level.  Their actions are not to be considered in good faith, and the actions of the state legislature were indeed cynical.

The points I paraphrased and maybe dramatized in my post aren't mine, they are the points made by the solicitor general Mr. Clement and various supreme court justices....so please...inform the class why they are wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When challenged on the specifics of the the law the city only afford their word as assurance that no repercussions would befall the plaintiffs...I'm sorry but in a state where your guns rights specific to hand guns are determined based on your "need" and "moral character" as determined by bureaucrats....that's not good enough.

The points I paraphrased and maybe dramatized in my post aren't mine, they are the points made by the solicitor general Mr. Clement and various supreme court justices....so please...inform the class why they are wrong.
He’s on that Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did you listen to the audio of the oral arguments?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Did you listen to the audio of the oral arguments?
I read the transcripts the day they were released.

Everyone involved recognizes that the state took specific and extraordinary measures to change the law so that this case would be considered moot, only after the court granted cert.   This maneuvering has a history at the supreme court and there is case law specifically addressing the inadequacy of these type of actions as a remedy.  
Partially true. it was a city law, not state. The city changed their law. ordinarily such voluntary action would not moot a case. the fear being that once dismissed they bring back the challenged conduct. The STATE then passed a law saying the city cannot bring back the conduct. As much as i wish the case were not moot, it very likely is due to the combination of those two actions.

If the court rules the case is moot, it is a case decision on mootness, not gun rights.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The deep state patriot act judges will save us
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Partially true. it was a city law, not state. The city changed their law. ordinarily such voluntary action would not moot a case. the fear being that once dismissed they bring back the challenged conduct. The STATE then passed a law saying the city cannot bring back the conduct. As much as i wish the case were not moot, it very likely is due to the combination of those two actions.

If the court rules the case is moot, it is a case decision on mootness, not gun rights.
View Quote
While true re: mootness........it's also a signal that preemptively changing a law before the USSC can rule upon it proves 2 things:
1:  The state can pass laws in direct conflict with the constitution/BOR as long as;
2:  They reverse the decision if/when someone is able & wealthy/connected enough to bring a case to the USSC & the small chance they will grant the case.

That is why it is dangerous if they go moot.  Their concern should be to prevent that sort of conduct by the state so that they are considering constitutionality when drafting laws, rather than drafting laws in direct conflict with the constitution and then daring someone to take them to court given the probability such a challenge would even make it far enough to matter.

Allowing the state to avoid the USSC ruling by changing the law post-cert basically acknowledges that unconstitutional laws can stand as long as they are changed at the 11th hour + survive to the USSC.  The USSC, if it were concerned with enforcing constitutionality....would decide to continue the case to ensure that legal challenges would not be prevented by playing the odds.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Clement also argued that even under New York's new regulations, his clients could still be penalized if they did not travel directly to a firing range outside the city, such as if they stopped for coffee.

But Richard Dearing, an attorney for New York, said that the city guaranteed that gun owners would not be prosecuted for such stops. And he said that any challenge to the new regulations would have to be argued in a future battle.
View Quote
I think I have read of NY prosecuting people for this type of stop. for the legal eagles here, would this constitute perjury?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The deep state patriot act judges will save us
View Quote
There is no saving some people. That pleases me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The point being, and pointed out by Justice Gorsuch I believe, is that the city and the state do not operate or legislate independent of each other.   The lawyer for the city openly admitted that the city supported the bill to change the permit law.

The city didn't change their law, they changed they way they enforced it and then the state preempted the city law with it's own changes...undoubtedly on the advise of the city attorneys.   Pretending that NYS and NYC don't coordinate efforts is foolish.

My point is that condoning this type of behavior on the part of a state or city government, by allowing the case to be judged moot, without any form of permanent injunctive relief, only encourages jurisdictions to enact laws that would be considered unconstitutional, simply because this case formalized a method to avoid a binding court decision.

This potentially has effect far beyond the 2A.  Can you imagine the chilling effect this could have on plaintiffs, knowing that after untold thousands of dollars and 5 years of litigation the government can just call a Mulligan, shake the etch-a-sketch and it all goes away, with no legally binding result to show.

If determined to be moot this specific case essentially ended at the 2nd circuit, in a loss.

Yes, the law was changed but in a way that actually gives pistol permit holders state wide fewer rights, not more.

The state took actions specifically to avoid a judgement here, extraordinary actions.   For 100 years NYC has been allowed to make it's own rules, to ignore the laws of the state, and have it's own process.  Now, at the 11th hour before a SCOTUS decision, the state steps in and preempts the city on gun laws? bullshit.   This was a craven and cynical attempt to avoid a judgement that they know will expand gun rights. I have no faith in NYS to not reverse course at some point in the future and return to the conditions that precipitated this case
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
The decision on whether or not to allow it to go to trial seems to be simpler than that.

- The federal law protecting dealers and manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits, has a clause stating something to the effect that the protection only applies if the dealer or manufacturer complied with all laws.

- The state happened to have a law placing limits on what a dealer or manufacturer could have in it's advertising for a gun.  Remington was supposedly in violation of that law.  If they were in violation, then the wording of the federal law granting immunity from frivolous lawsuits, indicates that the immunity is void and Remington can be sued.

It's my understanding that Remington was asking for the lawsuit to be dismissed due to the immunity from that federal law.  If so, that was the wrong approach, and they probably should have been challenging the state law (that they did not comply with and resulted in their immunity being removed) or focusing on how the lawsuit was attempting to punish them for the criminal actions of someone who obtained their product by killing the lawful owner of it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think I have read of NY prosecuting people for this type of stop. for the legal eagles here, would this constitute perjury?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Clement also argued that even under New York's new regulations, his clients could still be penalized if they did not travel directly to a firing range outside the city, such as if they stopped for coffee.

But Richard Dearing, an attorney for New York, said that the city guaranteed that gun owners would not be prosecuted for such stops. And he said that any challenge to the new regulations would have to be argued in a future battle.
This part hurts my head -- he actual LAW says they will be prosecuted, but a city attorney " said that the city guaranteed that gun owners would not be prosecuted" in opposition to a written law.

Does a city attorney saying the city would guarantee  hold any actual weight in court?  Would a future person charged be able to use this as a defense?  I'd think not.

Any govt employee that says "let our bad law stand, we promise not to use it" needs to be fired immediately
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The point being, and pointed out by Justice Gorsuch I believe, is that the city and the state do not operate or legislate independent of each other.   The lawyer for the city openly admitted that the city supported the bill to change the permit law.

The city didn't change their law, they changed they way they enforced it and then the state preempted the city law with it's own changes...undoubtedly on the advise of the city attorneys.   Pretending that NYS and NYC don't coordinate efforts is foolish.

My point is that condoning this type of behavior on the part of a state or city government, by allowing the case to be judged moot, without any form of permanent injunctive relief, only encourages jurisdictions to enact laws that would be considered unconstitutional, simply because this case formalized a method to avoid a binding court decision.

This potentially has effect far beyond the 2A.  Can you imagine the chilling effect this could have on plaintiffs, knowing that after untold thousands of dollars and 5 years of litigation the government can just call a Mulligan, shake the etch-a-sketch and it all goes away, with no legally binding result to show.

If determined to be moot this specific case essentially ended at the 2nd circuit, in a loss.

Yes, the law was changed but in a way that actually gives pistol permit holders state wide fewer rights, not more.

The state took actions specifically to avoid a judgement here, extraordinary actions.   For 100 years NYC has been allowed to make it's own rules, to ignore the laws of the state, and have it's own process.  Now, at the 11th hour before a SCOTUS decision, the state steps in and preempts the city on gun laws? bullshit.   This was a craven and cynical attempt to avoid a judgement that they know will expand gun rights. I have no faith in NYS to not reverse course at some point in the future and return to the conditions that precipitated this case
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new NY state law includes a carve-out for NYC to still institute their own regulations IIRC.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The new NY state law includes a carve-out for NYC to still institute their own regulations IIRC.

Kharn
View Quote
wouldn't surprise me. NYC likes to do it's own thing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Neither do I.  That was just a bunch of lawyers saying other lawyers can continue to suck money out of their clients.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#31]
This is the last chance for FJGR to side with the Libs and screw us royally another time on a large scale.

It will then be 'settled law' ensuring it's perpetual existence.

FJR wants to take it up now before President Trump replaces FRBG and he loses his ability to screw us over with tortured (mis)interpretations of the Constitution. He won't be able to do that once there is a majority of Justices that are Constitutionalists.

I hope that I am wrong. I pray that I am wrong. I fear that I am right.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope. That was not the question.

The question in the Remington case was, does the PLCAA bar a lawsuit from even being heard based on the plaintiffs claims. It made no determination at all about the merits of the suit.

I happen to think SCOTUS made the wrong choice there, but your characterization of it is not correct.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The question in the Remington case was, does the PLCAA bar a lawsuit from even being heard based on the plaintiffs claims. It made no determination at all about the merits of the suit.

I happen to think SCOTUS made the wrong choice there, but your characterization of it is not correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PLCAA allows suits under certain conditions, such as fraudulent or misleading advertising or negligent conduct. The state courts had not conducted fact finding to determine if those conditions were present when Remington filed their injunction and appealed its denial. The SC rejecting the case was expected.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#34]
It's going to be an excruciating wait for the decision to come out.

Although I'm leaning hopeful on the moot decision.  Given how this went down I think SCOTUS realizes that NYC and NYS forced their hand on this.  What was originally a 2A case has much larger implications now.

Imagine the butt hurt if the hot button Liberal issues were attacked in the same way.  There have been a lot of conservative lower level judge appointments lately.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tomorrow  is the earliest we COULD find out about whether the case is moot. When the orders come down. Not saying it will be tomorrow, just that it is the earliest day to release orders after Friday's conference.  I still,believe they moot this case possibly with a grant of cert on a better case.
View Quote
Thanks Nolo!

It truly is a waiting game.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tomorrow  is the earliest we COULD find out about whether the case is moot. When the orders come down. Not saying it will be tomorrow, just that it is the earliest day to release orders after Friday’s conference.  I still,believe they moot this case possibly with a grant of cert on a better case.
View Quote
That's what Chuck Michel is predicting too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not mooted yet. Orders are up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
well holy shit.

if it was mooted...would it have been announced today?  mootness doesn't require any opinion be written so...if they voted on it there would be no reason for delay...correct?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Of note, Alan guras case, Medina v Barr (felon in possession case) was not granted certiorari today.  That is a shame. That guy was convicted of a false statement on a mortgage app, felony. Paid off the loan early and everyone admits no harm was done. Too bad though, because he is a felon and gov says too dangerous to have a firearm. Supreme Court doesn’t want to wade into it. Here is his petition:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/19/19-287/114260/20190830122623701_3-cert_petition.pdf
View Quote
Denied without any comment.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of note, Alan guras case, Medina v Barr (felon in possession case) was not granted certiorari today.  That is a shame. That guy was convicted of a false statement on a mortgage app, felony. Paid off the loan early and everyone admits no harm was done. Too bad though, because he is a felon and gov says too dangerous to have a firearm. Supreme Court doesn’t want to wade into it. Here is his petition:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/19/19-287/114260/20190830122623701_3-cert_petition.pdf
The conservative Justices stick their toes into new areas very timidly, they don't dive off the 10m platform.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
And the next milestone is this afternoon's docket update, to see if any held 2A cases are distributed for Friday's conference session.

Mance v Barr, interstate handgun sales

Pena v Horan, CA handgun roster

Rogers v Grewal, NJ CCW

Cheeseman v Polillo, NJ CCW

Ciolek v NJ, NJ CCW, pro se so highly unlikely to be "the" case

Gould v Brookline, MA CCW

Those are all the cases I can think of that are being held at the moment.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The conservative Justices stick their toes into new areas very timidly, they don't dive off the 10m platform.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
I don't see how any case could be more mild than this one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His most correct redress might be to seek a pardon and maybe an expungement.  Not sure the likelihood of that though
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
Criminal cases are seen with distaste, he plead guilty to both the mortgage fraud and the wrongfully acquired hunting licenses while a convicted felon. If he had filed suit before the hunting licenses incident, he would have been far better situated. Dumbasses aren't great test cases.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Felon" is a scary word.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, look at how many people here support banning felons from owning guns.

This reinforces my belief that the court isn't going to touch MGs anytime soon. MGs, like felons, are scary.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top