User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Merino wool.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have a favorite boot dryer while I’m looking for stuff?

I will clarify since I didn’t before, I don’t have general stinky feet, just wet. I think it’s the constant wet boots that over time develop the funk in them. It’s about 6 months in I can start to smell them when I take them off, and by a year I can smell the boots while wearing them. Generally wear pull ons, a ventilated hiking boot doesn’t do well in the different environments I’m in (service electrician)
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't laugh, but I work with a guy who sprays his feet with under arm deo to keep them dry, wears thin socks and wears boots that breath, but not sure what brands.
View Quote
First, don't wear the same pair of boots more than one day in a row. Hint: the Army issues two pairs, in Basic you mark them and you wear them alternately according to the markings. And you have NO choice, you do it. Which means the boots dry out over 24 hours which stops growth of bacteria and yeast, the two causes of odor.

It's no fun to stick your feet into a wet pair of boots, and that is exactly what some do when they slide back in just hours later. In the OP's situation, buying two pair and not throwing them out because they dry out and don't stink will be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Add the other stuff above as needed - an intermediate step is optional, use baking soda based deodorant on feet that are clean before adding the socks and it will knock down a lot of the source, too, plus - extra bonus - get an abrasive foot stone and work down the heavier calluses which harbor yeast, slowing down it's growth literally inside the dead skin.

Im 66 and work on my feet 40 hours a week. The Army started me out right and I've picked up other stuff along the way. Biggest thing I ran across was to actually apply soap to feet, not assume standing in the shower is enough. Yeah - I wasn't actually rubbing the soap onto the skin and soles of my feet. It finally required me doing that, strangely enough. So, now I do.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Spray your feet with anti-perspirant. Use light wool socks like darn tough.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Darn tough wool socks non insulated leather boots and anti perspiration spray use spray the night before and rotate boots every day.

My feet sweat horribly and it's been a lifesaver.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I powder my, wool socks.
I always pull my soles & let my shoes air out.
I use the boot dryer, if boots are wet/sweaty.
(I also powder my cock/balls/taint/thighs/buttcrack)

Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of the smell is the result of bacteria. To get rid of it, think disinfection.

When this happens to me, I tend to do the following:
after removing boots, pull out the insoles and douse them with hydrogen peroxide.
set the insoles out in front of a fan, along with the boots propped up to get airflow into the inside to dry everything out overnight.

disinfect feet before bedtime... surgical soap in the shower, or soak in johnson's foot soap or something like that. even just ivory soap is a mild disinfectant that would help.

socks washed with borax & no-residue detergent.

when it's as bad as OP describes, it will take more drastic measures to disinfect the boots beyond just drying. there are boot dryers that have ozone generators, but you'd have to have that outside to not have ozone indoors. I've also washed out footwear with hydrogen peroxide, and alternatively used a chlorine dioxide product with success.

merino wool socks will help, but I have better results (and less costly) with using wicking polyester socks. not everyone can get by with thinner socks though, if you need thicker, get the wool.

there is definitely a need for some more breathable options in supportive boots. boot companies tend to make all their boots like everyone is in the snow all day.

there is a company (Haix) that makes boots with a neat ventilation system that pumps air through and out the top of the boot while you walk, and they did actually keep my feet dry, but their wonky orthopedic design screwed up my feet pretty bad for a while so I don't really recommend them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s tricky. I would try antiperspirant on a day off to see if you have any adverse reactions. I’ve saved a stinky pair of boots with baking soda, but the next several times I wore them, you get kind of a paste feeling if there’s any moisture. And pack an extra pair of socks in your lunch and change halfway through the day.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Best antibacterial talc is one that contains zinc oxide and meant for babies butts; Caldesene or buy 100% zinc oxide powder and mix 50/50 with talc. I use it widely and it helps with issues like these.

Also soak feet in water with a teaspoon of bleach, much more effective than topical ointments for fungus/bacteria control.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just got some new boots from work, maybe I’ll get a second pair and report back in a few months lol
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're prone to sweaty feet, boots with any kind of waterproofing are a no go. Leather boots sweat my feet less than synthetic. Sock material makes a big difference too. Synthetics sweat my feet.

For stink,  don't wear the same boots (or shoes) two days in a row. Put cedar shoe trees  in the boots when you're not wearing them. This will save you a bunch of money in the long run. Wash your feet thoroughly. Spend some  time barefoot. I've never had any luck with powders or sprays.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Doctor can write you a Rx for drysol. Rub it on your feet and it stops sweating.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#14]
No one mentioned this yet, I used to have bad foot smell. My fix?

Get rid of dead skin, do you have cracks in your heels? Or other areas of foot? Get ride of it with something like this

and then this

I now do my feet once a week
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Carpe sweat control creams, available now at CVS and online.

Electric boot dryer.

Rotate the footwear.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I wear silver fox liner socks under darn tough socks.

Some boots are just notorious sweaty stink bombs, like Sportiva.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Bactine, the antibacterial spray. Spray the inside of your boots with it generously and you won't have smelly boots.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It’s also helpful to swap shoes/boots every other day so one pair can fully dry out.  I’ve also sprayed Lysol in my boots if the stink got ahead of me.
View Quote
I give my shoes and boots at least two days off before I wear them again--I no longer have smelly shoes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Freeze your boots when they stink - it will kill the bacteria that cause the smell.  Wrap them in a plastic bag to keep your wife happy and your freezer clean.

Then use the boot dryer and rotate boots from then on out.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Merino wool socks
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

First, don't wear the same pair of boots more than one day in a row. Hint: the Army issues two pairs, in Basic you mark them and you wear them alternately according to the markings. And you have NO choice, you do it. Which means the boots dry out over 24 hours which stops growth of bacteria and yeast, the two causes of odor.
View Quote
That's the theory. With the boots they have now, that they don't require to be shined, I'm sure everyone does that.

Back when I went through we wore the same pair every day and had the other ones polished so that we always had at least one pair that was GTG for display and didn't have to do both all the time . This was not something that they monitored back then.

I would like to know what makes some feet so stinky. Now, my shoes/feet/socks don't smell like roses by the end of the day, but my 6 year old's shoes will stink up half the house. It's amazing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anyone have a favorite boot dryer while I'm looking for stuff?

I will clarify since I didn't before, I don't have general stinky feet, just wet. I think it's the constant wet boots that over time develop the funk in them. It's about 6 months in I can start to smell them when I take them off, and by a year I can smell the boots while wearing them. Generally wear pull ons, a ventilated hiking boot doesn't do well in the different environments I'm in (service electrician)
View Quote
I have a Peet's and a smaller fan driven one. The Peet's rocks. It's a gentle heat that won't harm your shoes and boots or use much electricity. Some people leave it on all the time and plop their boots on after work.

There is a tea tree oil soap I get from Amazon that really controls pit and feet stench called Pedifix Tea Tree Ultimates Funga Soap. It's pretty harsh, I wouldn't use it on your dick and balls.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I will clarify since I didn’t before, I don’t have general stinky feet, just wet. I think it’s the constant wet boots that over time develop the funk in them. It’s about 6 months in I can start to smell them when I take them off, and by a year I can smell the boots while wearing them. Generally wear pull ons, a ventilated hiking boot doesn’t do well in the different environments I’m in (service electrician)
View Quote
If you have a Costco membership they have a pretty good one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Change your socks during lunch break.  Wash your feet.  Have a second pair of shoes and wear them on alternate days.  That gives each pair a full day to air out.

I also wear pull on boots, Red Wing Pecos 11”.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't laugh, but I work with a guy who sprays his feet with under arm deo to keep them dry, wears thin socks and wears boots that breath, but not sure what brands.
View Quote
sometimes I use a stick for between the toes.  it helps.   I do have the boot dryer.  but  my feet sweat a lot.   tried one type of sock did not help for shit, I also hate most boot socks they are way to tall. I like just above the ankle and its too hard to find.

darn tough,,,, make theirs too small.  its actually painful to get my foot into them.

might try the boot sock. but bought two pairs of different styles and no luck.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the same problem.  It takes a multi layer defense.

1.  Tea tree oil soap.  It's on Amazon.  A little pricey but not too bad
2. Don't wear the same pair of boots two days in a row.  Cedar shoe trees or boot driers
3.  Merino wool socks
4.  Antiperspirant deoradant on your feet
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Came here expecting a country song.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I've used anti-icky poo on tennis shoes that stunk and it worked well. Its an enzymatic cleaner mainly for cat messes, but I'd tried in it smelly garbage cans, where it worked well, then decided to try it on some shoes, where it worked well again. Probably any of these enzymatic cleaners with good reviews would work, natures miracle being another example.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Get removable shoe inserts and remove them every night to dry.   Set them in direct sunlight if possible.   If the boots have a long tongue that can be turned down, do that and set them so the sun can get inside.

Odor is caused by bacteria and the heat and UV will kill the bugs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't get stinky feet but mine sweat like crazy.   Alternate boots, change socks often.  I'm interested in trying a boot dryer. Lots of other ideas here I may try.   Deodorant is not one of them though.   I also found powder builds up and starts to hold odor.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#32]
You can get any small fan and use it to blow air into boots.  If you have pets you might have to play some games with things.

Keep in mind leather is porous so you do want to let it dry and if it is holding bacteria you need to kill it.

People with major feet issues tend to wind up doing a couple of the johnson foot soap soaks and throw out old footwear.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Freeze your boots when they stink - it will kill the bacteria that cause the smell.  Wrap them in a plastic bag to keep your wife happy and your freezer clean.

Then use the boot dryer and rotate boots from then on out.
View Quote
Freezing doesn't necessarily kill pathogens that are causing odor, and they can't dry when frozen.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:56:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Depending on what type of boot you are wearing you my want to change your socks through the day.  When I wore muck boots in the summer I would change my socks 5 times in a 12 hour shift.  Along with dumping gold bond inside the boot and on my feet.  Boot dryers work well if you can leave them on there long enough to do the job.  As others have said scrubbing your feet will help with the smell also.  Use a pumice stone along with a wash rag to get all the dead skin off and clean out under your toenails.  Heck going to a nail salon every once in a while is worth it to let them get your feet in good shape, and the massage chairs are worth it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:04:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not funny, it's awesome.

As for the smell,

It's bacteria.

A MILD bleach soak for a few minutes, as in a tablespoon in a big bucket of water, and throw the boots away. Do this a couple more times over the course of a week and then follow up with a nice soak in water with dirt from where horses live, to replenish the beneficial and protective skin bacteria.

Use shoes that breath for a while.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It’s also helpful to swap shoes/boots every other day so one pair can fully dry out.  I’ve also sprayed Lysol in my boots if the stink got ahead of me.
View Quote
causes cancer
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:07:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Boots that breathe help.

During the summer (if im not in rough terrain), i wear boots that are slip on like cowboy boots, but have a square toe and no crazy heel.

Still waterproof, but they can breathe out the top.

During the winter its insulated loggers. They stink.

Im going to throw them in a tote with an ozone generator. Ill report back on how that works.
View Quote
That's should actually work pretty good.

Maybe also try a UV (B?) light.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:16:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Also, never wash underwear with socks.

I use bleach on my sock load once every few washes.

Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria isolated from horse stables has been shown to help a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Dirt-Probiotic-Spray-Preservative-Free/dp/B01JQRY5XA

The good bacteria eat all the food on your skin and don't leave any food for the nasty bacteria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competitive_inhibition
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:18:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can run your cloths dryer while empty and set your shoes up under the outside vent. Add a board or something leaning over them to focus the air.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:21:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Most of the smell is the result of bacteria. To get rid of it, think disinfection.

When this happens to me, I tend to do the following:
after removing boots, pull out the insoles and douse them with hydrogen peroxide.
set the insoles out in front of a fan, along with the boots propped up to get airflow into the inside to dry everything out overnight.

disinfect feet before bedtime... surgical soap in the shower, or soak in johnson's foot soap or something like that. even just ivory soap is a mild disinfectant that would help.

socks washed with borax & no-residue detergent.

when it's as bad as OP describes, it will take more drastic measures to disinfect the boots beyond just drying. there are boot dryers that have ozone generators, but you'd have to have that outside to not have ozone indoors. I've also washed out footwear with hydrogen peroxide, and alternatively used a chlorine dioxide product with success.

merino wool socks will help, but I have better results (and less costly) with using wicking polyester socks. not everyone can get by with thinner socks though, if you need thicker, get the wool.

there is definitely a need for some more breathable options in supportive boots. boot companies tend to make all their boots like everyone is in the snow all day.

there is a company (Haix) that makes boots with a neat ventilation system that pumps air through and out the top of the boot while you walk, and they did actually keep my feet dry, but their wonky orthopedic design screwed up my feet pretty bad for a while so I don't really recommend them.
View Quote
If you sterilize your feet you are actually inviting worse problems, unless you replenish the skin flora with good bacteria.

See what clostridium difficile does to people on oral antibiotics.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:25:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Best antibacterial talc is one that contains zinc oxide and meant for babies butts; Caldesene or buy 100% zinc oxide powder and mix 50/50 with talc. I use it widely and it helps with issues like these.

Also soak feet in water with a teaspoon of bleach, much more effective than topical ointments for fungus/bacteria control.
View Quote
Talc also causes cancer, if you breath it.

about 2 gallons of water for a teaspoon of bleach. Don't soak for too long, or you will get a chemical burn. a few minutes should do it.

Vinegar will also work.

Be sure to rinse and soak in pure water to get rid of all the bleach.

Cleaning under toe nails was mentioned, also a very good idea
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:27:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No one mentioned this yet, I used to have bad foot smell. My fix?

Get rid of dead skin, do you have cracks in your heels? Or other areas of foot? Get ride of it with something like this

https://www.dhresource.com/0x0/f2/albu/g7/M00/51/19/rBVaSVs55LKARVllAA-JgUIUhwk290.jpg

and then this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLw2dKHM7OWKPn1rDZp24ffdMv713fPXkd7h7geEVTLthF5s7d8Zd431FVFGB7Qd5K-yC5C_8&usqp=CAc

I now do my feet once a week
View Quote
Dremel tool with sanding drum also works.

I normally use 80 grit sand paper, or some rough concrete in an "emergency".

If your calluses get too thick/dry they can start to crack.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's the theory. With the boots they have now, that they don't require to be shined, I'm sure everyone does that.

Back when I went through we wore the same pair every day and had the other ones polished so that we always had at least one pair that was GTG for display and didn't have to do both all the time . This was not something that they monitored back then.

I would like to know what makes some feet so stinky. Now, my shoes/feet/socks don't smell like roses by the end of the day, but my 6 year old's shoes will stink up half the house. It's amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

socks are a game changer.

kids like to avoid using socks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Wool socks and a boot dryer.

Now my boots last longer than a year.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have a Peet's and a smaller fan driven one. The Peet's rocks. It's a gentle heat that won't harm your shoes and boots or use much electricity. Some people leave it on all the time and plop their boots on after work.

There is a tea tree oil soap I get from Amazon that really controls pit and feet stench called Pedifix Tea Tree Ultimates Funga Soap. It's pretty harsh, I wouldn't use it on your dick and balls.
View Quote
I bought some of the soap and I have to say I’m pretty impressed. Makes my feet smell pretty minty when I get out of the shower
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wool socks and cut down on sugar and yeast consumption.
View Quote
Also, increase magnesium intake.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top