Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2022 11:16:43 PM EDT
Earnie Shavers—RIP
was an incredibly hard hitting MoFo!!!

During the early 1980s while preparing for the feature film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone explored the possibility of using a real heavyweight boxer in the role of James "Clubber" Lang by inviting Earnie Shavers to spar with him. Shavers initially refused to hit Stallone with anything other than a soft jab. This frustrated Stallone, who asked Shavers, "C'mon Earnie, show me something real." Earnie responded by punching him once near the liver, forcing an immediate retirement; Stallone later said: "that nearly killed me. I went straight to the men's room and threw up".[12]

Eta

Shavers in action

Muhammad Ali gets brain damage from Earnie Shavers (knocked out cold nearly)
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard him talk, and that's all the evidence I needed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
People think a pro bunch don’t be like it is….
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad boxed at an amateur level in the 70’s, and owned a meat store over by Youngstown. Shavers came into his store one day, and spent a couple hours talking about boxing with him. Dad said the man’s hands were gigantic. That’s saying something, considering the old man can palm a basketball. He was very impressed with him all around.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Liver shot is difficult to recover from.  Stallone should’ve realized weight classes in boxing exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a guy wanting to depict reality on screen and do the best job he could. Willing to suffer for his art and being extremely fit not unreasonable to believe he may be able to take a punch.

I don’t detect stupidity just a little over confidence ( assuming the story is true not a made up Hollywood anecdote )
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thought that this was going to be about Sly being a cock gobbling, gun grabbing hypocrite who fleeces GD out of money because Rambo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah and he made Dolph Lundgren give him a full power shot to the chest that bruised his heart and sent him to the ICU for 4 days. And when making Creed I and II he had Michael B. Jordan take a full shot to the head and knock him out because "it's a right of passage"... Not a whole lot of forward thinking goin on there
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
You know.....I think I can top stupid.

I was offered $200 bucks for each time I road the lightening with a taser as several of the Crimson trace SHOt show people didn't want to do it, they can forfeit their 200 bonus by giving it to someone who will do it for them.

I ended up doing it 4 times in 3 hours.....

Good 800 bucks.

Stupid.....yeah.....there is a tiny small part of my liver area where it hurts sometimes ..15 years later.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to have Ernie’s autograph back in the day.  But I had it when I was a kid and lost it.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Ya that dumbfuck didn't spend 2 hours pouring over YouTube vids in 1981.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like a guy wanting to depict reality on screen and do the best job he could. Willing to suffer for his art and being extremely fit not unreasonable to believe he may be able to take a punch.

I don’t detect stupidity just a little over confidence ( assuming the story is true not a made up Hollywood anecdote )
View Quote

It's really pretty stupid to try to take a punch from
a professional prize fighter.  

I don't know if Stallone is stupid, but that's a damn stupid thing to do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah the difference in a full power swing between a person who has never been in a fight and a professional boxer is 100%.  Everything from foot placement and power through the hips and a proper fist is insane.  Plus rookies tend to not tuck there chins or defend body blows.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Lipton Brisk Iced Tea w/Rocky Commercial

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I heard him talk, and that's all the evidence I needed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I think he did the same thing with Lundgren happened in Rocky IV and it led to a cardiac contusion & hospitalization.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I used to have Ernie’s autograph back in the day.  But I had it when I was a kid and lost it.  
View Quote

I had Johnny Unitas' autograph. My uncle, who worked for the Washington Star got it for me. Took it down the street to show another kid. Left it in my jeans and my Mom washed them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#20]
It sounds like Stallone is one of the Hollywood idiots who think that pretending to be something is the same as reality.  Mark Wahlberg “training with spec ops” or Tom Cruise buying an ultrasound machine & taking tech training course to ultrasound then wife Katie Holmes.

Stallone reality of draft dodger during Vietnam war doesn’t give him any credibility as Rambo, especially since the movies suck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wonder if he had even tried to spar full speed with a golden glove winner.
View Quote

No idea, but regardless getting pissed off at a heavwieght pro fighter for going easy on you
is probably not the best idea, whether or not you've sparred.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is telling a professional boxer to hit you dumber than having your dog's face tattooed over your wife's face? I bet his wife's divorce lawyer hits harder.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly.

OP sounds like a pussy. What guy training hard wouldn't want to go toe to toe with the real deal?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Exactly.

OP sounds like a pussy. What guy training hard wouldn't want to go toe to toe with the real deal?
View Quote

I've sparred a pro boxer and regretted it, and he was no Earnie Shavers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Exactly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

LoL

My dad boxed. I’m not stupid. He explained the damage even a stiff jab from a trained person could do.
Earnie Shavers?  Do you even know who he was and what he was known for?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LoL

My dad boxed. I’m not stupid. He explained the damage even a stiff jab from a trained person could do.
View Quote

It's ok.  Stallone sparred with Roberto Duran so apparently he's a badass
that's impervious to a no bull shot from a heavyweight fighter.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Didn't he also insist on hanging from a cliff without any safety gear for that cliffhanger movie?

He seems like he may be legit punch drunk

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Stallone is 5'9-5'10 and about a buck 80.
Shavers was 6'0 and fought very successfully as a heavyweight against Ali, Norton and Holmes
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Boxers are scary. I met Muhammad Ali once and shook his hand. I wear xxl gloves and his hand swallowed mine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL

By “sparred” we all know that it isn’t how Duran would spar wirh a pro.
Stallone is in shape and tries to prove himself “tough”
He’s just a reckless dummy
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Larry Holmes talk's about getting hit by Ernie Shavers

Tyson and holmes on shaver.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Didn’t  everybody here think they were invincible when they were young and fit ? I’d have probably thought the same ( I can take it )and I was never is Stallones shape.

I know I did think I was That’s why I’m broken now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Mr T was no slouch either.  He may not have been Shavers quality, but he could throw some hands.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#34]
First post
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#35]
But, can he take a full power shot from Squatdog?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#36]
A lot of people don't realize how hard a trained boxer can hit .

There was this guy in my battalion  that worked out everyday
Running ,skipping rope , hitting a speed and heavy bag . He trained himself and he thought he was good but never boxed anyone .
We had a golden glove in another battalion and he kept bugging him to a match . The guy finally agreed and it was just brutal .

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#37]
He was stupid well before that moment.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Eh - to be honest I give him prop's for trying to man up and do it right.   Turns out, it didn't go so well.  Now he knows.  And when he steps into the ring with the camera crew, now he knows more than most actors probably do.  There's a lot of stupid shit I'll judge people on.  This one.. meh, pass.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My dad boxed at an amateur level in the 70’s, and owned a meat store over by Youngstown. Shavers came into his store one day, and spent a couple hours talking about boxing with him. Dad said the man’s hands were gigantic. That’s saying something, considering the old man can palm a basketball. He was very impressed with him all around.
View Quote

Yup
Huge
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's really pretty stupid to try to take a punch from
a professional prize fighter.  

I don't know if Stallone is stupid, but that's a damn stupid thing to do.
View Quote

Speaking of stupid, if you want to see something really funny, watch the Johnny Knoxville vs Butterbean fight.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#41]
My friend was (recently passed), a pretty accomplished actor.  Was one of the villains in the last Indiana Jones movie, fought Chuck in Walker, and many other parts.  Did a few military movies including GI Jane where they put them through a mini "boot camp" if you will, before production.  This fucker truly thought he was a Navy Seal.  "oh we went through the same training as the Seals, I'm like an honorary Seal at this point."  His ego.   I loved him, but he wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes in BUDS.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Stallone apparently figured it out, Mickey O'Rourke on the other hand... There's an interesting Rogan clip where he talks about O'Rourke, his misadventures in boxing and how he ended up damaged mentally and physically from it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I’ve been kicked by Maurice Smith. It was… enlightening.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#45]
[b]Originally Posted By 307Patriot

I don't know if Stallone is stupid....
View Quote

I think you have all the evidence you need in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Stallone reality of draft dodger during Vietnam war doesn’t give him any credibility as Rambo, especially since the movies suck.
View Quote

I had never heard that before, had to look it up. Thanks for that info.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yeah and he made Dolph Lundgren give him a full power shot to the chest that bruised his heart and sent him to the ICU for 4 days. And when making Creed I and II he had Michael B. Jordan take a full shot to the head and knock him out because "it's a right of passage"... Not a whole lot of forward thinking goin on there
View Quote

Actually the scary part is it was agreed that the fighter hitting Jordan would only go 50%. You can see Jordan was out before he even STARTED FALLING. I saw Stallone and Jordan doing a press tour appearance on an English talk show, they showed the hit and were laughing about it. Morons.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Boxing is a legit art.

Years back in martial arts class we had a guy that boxed to the silver gloves level. I am 6'2" and he had about an inch height and we had equal reach, same weight.
I could jab him at will but never get inside to get a RH on him. I decided I was going to throw a combo then shoot inside.

I think Tyson said "everyone has a plan til you get punched in the head" and he is correct.

I threw a couple good combos and stepped inside and I caught a hook to the head ( had headgear on) and my vision went from color to black & white and sound stopped.
Clinched up for about a minute and was still foggy.  Without headgear and a harder shot its lights out and never saw it.

He was spot on and did not throw wasted punches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is telling a professional boxer to hit you dumber than having your dog's face tattooed over your wife's face? I bet his wife's divorce lawyer hits harder.
View Quote

That's the PR excuse.  The alleged real reason is that Sly knocked up one of his daughters friends.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Stallone is far from stupid. Maybe a momentary lack of judgement ??
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top