Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now I really feel old.....

Shit, put 'em in front of an Atari 2600, or the games older than that, like Pong.  "Have you played Atari today?"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shit, put 'em in front of an Atari 2600, or the games older than that, like Pong.  "Have you played Atari today?"

Commodore 64

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel old.

We are old. I turned 36 this year and found my first gray hair. Just shoot me.

I remember getting our Super NES Christmas morning and playing Mario all day long. I honestly don't remember which other games we bought for it. I wasted a lot of years playing video games. I got a buddy with two kids who plays them still. He'll play until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. It's the only fun he has after his kids and wife finally fall asleep.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#3]
When blowing in the game didn't work the next step was shoving another game on top of the one you wanted to play.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I remember getting our Super NES Christmas morning and playing Mario all day long. I honestly don't remember which other games we bought for it. I wasted a lot of years playing video games. I got a buddy with two kids who plays them still. He'll play until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. It's the only fun he has after his kids and wife finally fall asleep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel old.

I'll be 33 in November. I have noticed a boatload of greys over the last year or so. I still feel 15 in my mind though.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, and river city ransom ftw.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#6]
We have one at my Dad's place, we have epic Tetris battles.....when shit faced drunk
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#7]
that damn dog

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Should have given them contra to play
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Konami-code.jpg

Go to http://digg.com/  and try the code.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife and I were watching our friends kid (13 y/o). We asked her if she wanted to play my NES.  She said yes and we started the game for her.  She played a few lives and then asked if this was what the wife and I played when we were growing up.  I said yes to which she got a sad face and said "I feel sorry for you guys".  
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty ironic, my wife and I just bought one on Ebay yesterday. In the box with all the case candy. It's pretty sad how excited we are to get it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When blowing in the game didn't work the next step was shoving another game on top of the one you wanted to play.
View Quote

Haha. Guilty.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This video is horse shit.

I interact with about 160 17-18 year olds on a daily basis.  The majority of them have played NES and a fair number have even played Atari 2600 and older consoles.

They just got some of the most retarded, sheltered-ass douchetards they could find.
View Quote

Exactly. They tell them to act surprised and to freak out over this stuff.

The majority of 17-18 yer olds today grew up with their Gameboy. It is in essence the EXACT same thing as a NES or SNES but you can put it in your pocket.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The top loader is the best NES.  Especially if you video mod it for composite video.

The cartridge connector is way more reliable.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel old.

im 30 and been finding occasional straggler..ageing sucks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, we you even alive when the NES came out?  How could you feel old?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Blowing on the cartridge... phhhh

I cleaned the contacts on my games over the last year, including the connector in the deck, and they all fire up like new.
View Quote

i took it apart replaced the connector cleanest game int he world shit still did the blinky bs.i sold it soon after.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I sold my NES and all my games at a garage sale for $20 in the mid 90s to fund buying 16MB RAM for my 486, so I could play newer games on it... And that $20 was only a fraction of the cost of those four 4MB sticks.

Wow.

One of my childhood friends still has his NES, complete with Game Genie and all of the stupid stickers that we put on it as kids - lots of Marvel and Batman hologram stickers.

I do miss weekend/summer marathons of SMB3 where the NES stayed on for days. My wife and I still play it on Mario All Stars.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How the hell have they never heard of Legend of Zelda!? That series made it to fairly recent consoles....
View Quote

No shit. I am in the middle of skyward sword for the Wii as we speak.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

i took it apart replaced the connector cleanest game int he world shit still did the blinky bs.i sold it soon after.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I cleaned the contacts on my games over the last year, including the connector in the deck, and they all fire up like new.

I had to take the cartridges apart and use a special contact cleaner (basically a pen using a fiberglass rod) that strips the dirt off the metal, but doesn't harm the metal itself.  A que-tip and alcohol or whatever just doesn't cut it sometimes.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Still have mine hooked up
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still have mine in the basement

I still have all of mine hooked up.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]
wow. a buddy of mine had a 1943 cabinet in his basement that got melted in an electrical fire :(
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag167/jeffro556/gamenerdiness_zpsd48acabb.gif

Damn. There's probably some money to be had in a few of those.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I still have a box full of Nes stuff in the attic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Be nice.  They're teens.  How much brilliance did you exude when you were 15?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So much dumb. Jesus fuck.

Be nice.  They're teens.  How much brilliance did you exude when you were 15?

I was programming my Commodore 64 and changing some code in some games to cheat.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The majority of 17-18 yer olds today grew up with their Gameboy. It is in essence the EXACT same thing as a NES or SNES but you can put it in your pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I interact with about 160 17-18 year olds on a daily basis.  The majority of them have played NES and a fair number have even played Atari 2600 and older consoles.

They just got some of the most retarded, sheltered-ass douchetards they could find.

I remember when the first gameboys hit the market oh....my....god I thought to myself what a wonderful age of technology we live in still have it in my night stand
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

yes you can. you can also jump over the "ceiling" on the first underground map and run on top of the map all the way to the end of the game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On Super Mario Bros....there was a rumor you could jump over the flag at the end of the level. Anyone ever do this or is this an urban legend?

yes you can. you can also jump over the "ceiling" on the first underground map and run on top of the map all the way to the end of the game.

The ceiling trick in 1-2 takes you to a warp which only goes as far as 4-1, not the end of the game.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag167/jeffro556/gamenerdiness_zpsd48acabb.gif

Now that's a command center!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel old.

I'll be 36 in January, I've had a solid gray stripe since I was 26.
At least the chicks dig it though. I get asked if I dye it that way on purpose a lot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had to take the cartridges apart and use a special contact cleaner (basically a pen using a fiberglass rod) that strips the dirt off the metal, but doesn't harm the metal itself.  A que-tip and alcohol or whatever just doesn't cut it sometimes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After I replaced the connector in my NES I still had issues with games working. I ended up cleaning all of my games with glass cookbook cleaner, and then alcohol to clean up the residual paste. Games work perfectly every time. This thing works better now than it did 26 years ago when I got it new.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#31]
all I wanted to do was coc those retards.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#32]
That is 30YO stuff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#33]
That is 30YO stuff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We had one and yes I played Pong  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had one and yes I played Pong  

But did you have the B&W console that came out before the Atari 2600--the one that just had Pong? Maybe it had one or two other games--I think you had to switch games with a 3-position lever switch. No cartridges, no additional games. Just Pong, and it was awesome.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I remember when the first gameboys hit the market oh....my....god I thought to myself what a wonderful age of technology we live in still have it in my night stand
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is kind of dissapointing when you consider you need to be inside the core of the sun to see the screen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I remember going to Toys R Us and buying it with my dad.

He fucking loved playing it as much as me

ETA: I fucking screamed BLOW ON IT around 3 when it wasn't starting

Stealth ATF was the shit!

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Goddammit............trudges upstairs to dig the NES out of the attic and play it shit faced.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

After I replaced the connector in my NES I still had issues with games working. I ended up cleaning all of my games with glass cookbook cleaner, and then alcohol to clean up the residual paste. Games work perfectly every time. This thing works better now than it did 26 years ago when I got it new.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep, stripping 25+ years of dirt buildup from those contacts works wonders.  I even cleaned the motherboard contacts when I had the 72pin connector off.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top