Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 30
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Our kids wish they lived then and they think we were cooler than their friends today.
View Quote

This is true.  

Remember in Dazed and Confused when they were saying the 70s suck and how cool the 60s were?

That wasn't us.  People growing up in the 80s knew that it was great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm on the older end of GenX. USMC from 1984-1988.

We are currently going through the transition from bebop music to rock from our era at local car shows.

Heck, even The Villages retirement community has a rock station.

I refuse to grow up. I still ride stupid fast sportbikes but I now stay off dirt bikes....

View Quote

I'm the flip. Staying away from street bikes because I will ride it like my dirt bike.

Thinking about an MX race or 2 this season.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Want to know the absolute greatest thing about being a Gen Xr?

Not caring what other people think...and knowing that it bothers the shit out of them that I don't care.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
HS Class of 1984.  My girl friend gave me a Members Only Jacket.  I wore it even after she sent me a Dear John Letter while stationed in W Germany.  I was not in the popular crowd and wanted nothing to do with anything everyone else liked.  Looking back, it was a good time to be young.  I met my future wife in 1989 and we will celebrate thirty years this summer.  Now I feel like I am missing something.  I am in my mid fifties and do not feel or look like I thought men in their fifties must have felt when I was in High School.  

Here is to a great memory.  I will remember the good times and bad.  Thanks to the op who started this thread down memory lane.  Speaking of "OP"  The first time I read OP as in the original poster in a thread I though of the OP brand of shorts and t-shirts.  I think it stood for Ocean Pacific.
View Quote

Good times for sure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Insert vintage picture of a Toys "R" Us isle here
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Gen-Xer checking in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#7]
77' checking in
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not caring what other people think...and knowing that it bothers the shit out of them that I don't care.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Fuck yeah. Deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At 16 I was assistant manager at the local movie theater. I was the only one who could close up and not be short money. I worked there as a Jr and Sr in high school, 1983/84. I completely managed the local drive in the summer of 1984. Remember those ????

If the movie came out in that era...I have seen it more times than I can remember.
View Quote

Polyester pants, vest, and bow-tie master race checking in - I got so many girls through that job (that was more like a party than job) - it was perfect fit for teenage me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Amazing memories- glad everything wasn’t uploaded to YouTube or Tiktok back then. I would pay anything to go back to the summer of 85.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Heck yeah, we could ride big wheels together
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been binge watching G.I. Joe lately. I'm currently on the episode  The Traitor Part 2. When Dusty feeds information to Extensive Enterprises and Cobra and almost gets Duke killed.

What about the Viper episode?

Do you mean The Viper is Coming and it's the window washer? Yeah, I watched that one last week.

Had this when I was a kid.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Our kids shall save the world.

Eta: My parents had a literal bell...a large one. It was GTF outside after breakfast to roam the neighborhood, play football, hogs & dogs, fish, ride bikes, etc. As dusk approached though, a bell like Notre Dame sang out, and we ventured back.

My dad. a surgeon, gave us stitches, while drinking beer and watching football. No anesthetic. "No. That was stupid".

I miss all of it.
View Quote

I got a little tool kit for Christmas one year. You know the one, came in the wooden box that opened like a cabinet and all of the tools said, “Poland” on it. I still remember the smell of that case. Anyway, I got a bunch of scrap wood, some nails from the basement and sat out on the back porch and went to town with it. Smashed my thumb with the hammer and smashed it all up. Blood everywhere. I started screaming and my dad came out, Michelob beer in his right hand looks down at me and my thumb and just says, ‘Well. Guess you learned why you don’t put your fingers under the hammer now didn’t you?’ Then he just walked back inside.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
77' checking in
View Quote

You're 77' long?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Me too. Life was so much better. This new time line sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wanna go back.

Me too. Life was so much better. This new time line sucks.

How true!
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Best gen checking in.

We played dodgeball and smeer the queer...we excluded the fuck out of other kids and slept well at night.  Our feelings may have gotten hurt, but by God that only made us not want to be a loser the next time.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been binge watching G.I. Joe lately. I'm currently on the episode  The Traitor Part 2. When Dusty feeds information to Extensive Enterprises and Cobra and almost gets Duke killed.

Do you mean The Viper is Coming and it's the window washer? Yeah, I watched that one last week.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/98232829_934.jpg

If that's the Night Rider bigwheel, I'm pretty sure I owned it.

I would power slide until my rear wheels had holes.  It was a badge of honor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, the Night Rider one. Mine had holes in the rear tires too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/26/4b/fd264b23621e17cd549ffa3b06b9ea5c.jpg

I had this one too but I got it second hand and it was missing all of the stickers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Fox body X's unite:

I have owned her since high school, but I'll be honest she hasn't been on the street in years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Late to the party
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Late to the party
View Quote

It’s ok as long as you brought more beer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LMMMMAAAOOO!!!

Sooooo true! Bwahahahaha!
View All Quotes

No kidding LOL when I was 13 until I got my driver's license I used to ride around on a Yamaha 175 Enduro. If I wasn't putting up hay I was out riding around. Where I lived was the corner of 3 counties. I would ride around all day long going to see friends, riding up dry creek beds and generally just being gone. As long as I came home with my my parents didn't care where I was. Same thing with my driver's license. When I got my drivers license in 82 I was going constantly. There is no texting where I was, no calling where I was and no Life360 app that my parents tracked me on.

Another case as long as the cops didn't show up and say we're sorry about your son they didn't care where I was.

Let's not forget dirt clod, bb gun or bottle rocket wars.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is true.  

Remember in Dazed and Confused when they were saying the 70s suck and how cool the 60s were?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our kids wish they lived then and they think we were cooler than their friends today.

This is true.  

My kid's wish the same thing. My daughter would go through the scrapbooks that my wife did of all the photos that we took when we were in college together. She said the other day when she was home from college that when she wishes that she could have gone to college in the 80s when we went. I told her it was a glorious time!
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine

Tri-Z 250 master race

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#31]
1978 Yamaha 175 Enduro

2 stroke... I had to carry around a bottle of 2-cycle oil to put in the little tank on the side. Always topped it off when I stopped and got gas
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I had this one too but I got it second hand and it was missing all of the stickers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine

You had two big wheels!

You must have been the one kid in the neighborhood with the GI Joe aircraft carrier.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#33]
You guys had nice rides.

I had a beat up Honda Fat cat and a homemade gokart.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine

fuck yeah

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#35]

GenX, came to post this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fox body X's unite:
https://i.postimg.cc/njgc17Q5/20220327-191333-1.jpg
I have owned her since high school, but I'll be honest she hasn't been on the street in years.
View Quote

Ok um.... I must admit regarding 4 Eye Foxes, I had a bit of an addiction for a while...(but I'm better now).

For "our" generation, it is what it is considering the "Malaise" era most of us suffered through and "sticker" performance. I think its why there is such a love for that era Camaro's G/N's and Mustangs. (I've had a few Aero's also but, they don't touch my soul the way 4 eyes do)

In 84 I didn't have my license yet but, dreamed a million dreams when the 20th occurred and it was in that issue of Hot Rod.

Years later I fulfilled that by restoring this one and also finding one of the 2.3 Turbo T-Top 20th cars

Ironic because in 1984 my father took me to pull an actual 66 GT-350 out of a Barn and that was my car.

Of course in 86, I sold said 66 GT-350 (partially done) to fund a brand new 86 GT Vert. So amazed was I by the first year of SEFI and all

Only picture I have of it, had just graduated High School and getting ready to leave for Navy. Notice the 82 GT Hood Scoop, as I had already "ground looped" it into a tree once in the rain (Gatorbacks and rain and all :))

I'd love to have that car back, still have VIN number but it seemed to have vanished off the face of the earth in the mid 1990's.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
1978 Yamaha 175 Enduro

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9749/Yamaha_DT175_78__2-2329043.jpg

2 stroke... I had to carry around a bottle of 2-cycle oil to put in the little tank on the side. Always topped it off when I stopped and got gas
View Quote

Mine didn't do well on the dirt.  Kinda the poor man's Ninja/GSX-R, but the chicks didn't care.  Took it to college with me in So. Illinois and had a riot; Glory Days for sure.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#38]
You know how you can tell that gen x is the best?

Read through the thread and see all the non xers trying to claim the name.

No one ever “self identifies” as a boomer or millennial.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You guys had nice rides.

View Quote
I had an 82 Honda odyssey. Full cage, 4 point. If you fucked up there was no getting off. You were riding that bitch to the end.

Looked exactly like this

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You guys had nice rides.

View Quote

Damn y’all were rich. I had to ride around in my LPCs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#41]
High School Class of 1984. Burnout crew checking in.

Before Billionaires Wore Hoodies: The Forgotten Class History of ’80s Youth

“Burnout” wasn’t the kind of designation you willingly chose. It was a name given to you typically by a jock, or a “richie in a pair of khaki shorts,” like the guy who first called the working class O’Brien a burnout. Like a lot of the other metal heads (or headbangers or freaks) in his predominantly wealthy high school in Greensboro, North Carolina, “burnout” was a label they inherited.

It’s a cruel tag for anyone—but especially for a kid. Burnout or disenfranchisement are terms for the weary, something that’s supposed to happen over time. How do you regard a teenager as burnt out from society?

“Burnouts were like dropouts,” a friend of mine, who identified as a punk in high school, told me. “They weren’t into causes or angry at the world, it was more a ‘fuck you’ and ‘who gives a shit’ attitude.”
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Rode this in high school, it belonged to my brother.  He gave it to me recently to start restoring.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You had two big wheels!

You must have been the one kid in the neighborhood with the GI Joe aircraft carrier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine

You had two big wheels!

I wish I had the USS Flagg. My parents were poor. The two big wheels we had were both second hand. One was technically my brothers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys had nice rides.

The rich kid is the poster above us who had a Honda Odyssey buggy.  I would drool over the Odyssey every time I saw a print ad.  They were outrageously expensive.

My Fat Cat technically belonged to the neighbors, but they let me have free reign with it.  The homemade gokart, my dad bought and worked on for me.  I loved that POS, but the old man hated what I did to his yard.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I paid for my Yamaha by putting up hay. And back then it wasn't an easy as it is now. I busted my ass
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Man, I finally watched the whole thing last night and it's depressing, the 80's were great even though I was a kid. 6-16.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Mine didn't do well on the dirt.  Kinda the poor man's Ninja/GSX-R, but the chicks didn't care.  Took it to college with me in So. Illinois and had a riot; Glory Days for sure.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.mAQOUmTQaNkLXDh64PE0xgHaFr%26pid%3DApi&f=1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1978 Yamaha 175 Enduro

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9749/Yamaha_DT175_78__2-2329043.jpg

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.mAQOUmTQaNkLXDh64PE0xgHaFr%26pid%3DApi&f=1

My first streetbike was a 1979 CB750F with the twin cam motor. I got my learners permit at 15 years and one day old, at 15.5 I took my riding test and had my motorcyle license a full 6 months before my my automobile license. Then in 1984, about a month before high school graduation, I used money earned from my job and a commercial mowing company myself and my Brothers had started, I bought a leftover 1983 GPZ750.

I have been on motorcycles since I was 6 or 7. Had an endorsement for almost 40 years. Christ...there was a three year span in Socal that my only transport was an FZR1000. I have something like 250K on a motorcycle just during the time I lived in Socal (10 years)....

The current Hot rod is a Ducati 1299....

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The rich kid is the poster above us who had a Honda Odyssey buggy.  I would drool over the Odyssey every time I saw a print ad.  They were outrageously expensive.

My Fat Cat technically belonged to the neighbors, but they let me have free reign with it.  The homemade gokart, my dad bought and worked on for me.  I loved that POS, but the old man hated what I did to his yard.
View Quote
Not rich by any means. I was the 3rd owners and it was pretty thrashed.  Dad said there are the tools, get busy.  I was 10.  

Without exaggeration that probably set the course of my life.  I discovered I was very mechanical and liked to figure out mechanical systems.  I also learned that bad decisions can really hurt.  

It's still in the family, my nephew rides/fixes it now.   The rich kids had pilots...those were pretty amazing
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Our kids shall save the world.

Eta: My parents had a literal bell...a large one. It was GTF outside after breakfast to roam the neighborhood, play football, hogs & dogs, fish, ride bikes, etc. As dusk approached though, a bell like Notre Dame sang out, and we ventured back.

My dad. a surgeon, gave us stitches, while drinking beer and watching football. No anesthetic. "No. That was stupid".

I miss all of it.
View Quote

LOL.  Mine too.  Lots of kitchen counter and dining room table procedures growing up.  Only time I actually got any "real" medical attention was with broken bones.  

I feel bad for my kids.

They will not know what it's like to wake up on summer vacation to a hot ass summer morning and pile into friend's Monte Carlo with with the shitty ripped velour upholstery and go to the lake or the pool to hang out with big banged hotties covered in pina colada sun tan lotion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Awesome, what a time to grow up in!
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top