BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 403
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So you’re saying the Bluebloods of college football should change according to their current records?
I guess some take a more historic view.
How often should the list be revised?
View Quote
Not so damned often I say. Princeton and Yale have close to 30 championships each. Y'all new whippersnappers like Obama are just flashes in the pan.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Blue blood is a title irrelevant programs that haven't done anything in most people's lifetimes worry about.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don't worry, UF will have another loss or two before the season is over so you don't have to worry about Oregon taking your spot.

Big game for Oregon v Utah.  The winner has to essentially has to beat the other twice to potentially make the playoff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how the hell does Oregon jump 4 spots by beating a .500 team on the same weekend that the only team that Oregon lost to lost their 2nd game?
Don't worry, UF will have another loss or two before the season is over so you don't have to worry about Oregon taking your spot.

Big game for Oregon v Utah.  The winner has to essentially has to beat the other twice to potentially make the playoff.
regardless... the question remains: how does a team jump 4 spots by beating a .500 team with a FG as time runs out?

I mean, Michigan jumped 5 spots by demolishing a top 10 Notre Dame... but we all expect that silliness when two media darlings are involved
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lol, you sound like larryg36, except in yellow and purple!
View Quote
LOL, whatever makes you feel better about yourself, dude.

LC
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oregon and Utah don’t play each other regular season so they possibly won’t meet until the conference championship.
View Quote
By bad.  I got UW playing Utah confused with Oregon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Who’s looking like the best NFL OL prospect this year? Looks like my Browns will be drafting early this year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ties? That is pure God Damned Commie Shit!
Fuck ESPN.

Bama and OSU have won titles this decade.
Sooners have made the playoffs the last two years
The others haven't been relevant in years.

Monk
View Quote
This.

Nebraska had a couple of good teams in the 70s and 90s.  You think they should be considered "bluebloods?"

Washington has as many Natonal Titles as Texas.

Yale has 27 National Titles.

Princeton has 28 National Titles.

@nailcrusher
@wakeboarder

Those that take a "more historical" approach to  determining "blueblood" programs should be complaining that those two programs are not included.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.

Nebraska had a couple of good teams in the 70s and 90s.  You think they should be considered "bluebloods?"

Washington has as many Natonal Titles as Texas.

Yale has 27 National Titles.

Princeton has 28 National Titles.

@nailcrusher
@wakeboarder

Those that take a "more historical" approach to  determining "blueblood" programs should be complaining that those two programs are not included.
View Quote

How about you use AP poll era data?

Like every other normal college football person

And- no one cares about national titles in the historic perspective. It was about conference titles, bowl wins, and Heisman trophies. Blueblood programs are ones who have national recognition even when they suck, i.e. Michigan since 2003
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Blue blood is a title irrelevant programs that haven't done anything in most people's lifetimes worry about.
View Quote
LOL
It was posted in response to Monk asking why Texas was still ranked with 3 loses and looking like crap the last 2 weeks.

It’s because they are a historical fan and media favorite. It’s comparable to everyone here asking why Notre Dame is always overrated. Notre Dame is in that same category.
It is what it is. Whether any of us agree or disagree with it doesn’t change it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
It's Georgia's fault, monk. That bowl game performance is why Texas is ranked.

Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL
It was posted in response to Monk asking why Texas was still ranked with 3 loses and looking like crap the last 2 weeks.

It’s because they are a historical fan and media favorite. It’s comparable to everyone here asking why Notre Dame is always overrated. Notre Dame is in that same category.
It is what it is. Whether any of us agree or disagree with it doesn’t change it.
View Quote
Well the fact the ESPN used ties in the BS Royalty* poll we have clearly established they are Commies and therefore should be thrown from helicopters.

Monk
*We did have a Revolution over this royalty BS.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes the SEC is responsible for Texas being ranked.
So Texas fans should all join us in chanting:
SEC SEC SEC
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
That female photographer in the brown sweater with black stripes  dam near got gored.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

True
Still less egregious than AU letting everyone down in 2017.

Bevo is an ass.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How about you use AP poll era data?

Like every other normal college football person

And- no one cares about national titles in the historic perspective. It was about conference titles, bowl wins, and Heisman trophies. Blueblood programs are ones who have national recognition even when they suck, i.e. Michigan since 2003
View Quote
If you go by your position, Michigan only had 2 NCs (1948 and 1997).  That's sad.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well the fact the ESPN used ties in the BS Royalty* poll we have clearly established they are Commies and therefore should be thrown from helicopters.

Monk
*We did have a Revolution of this BS.
View Quote
#I'mwithmonk
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you go by your position, Michigan only had 2 NCs (1948 and 1997).  That's sad.
View Quote
Agree with you 100%

Michigan is a regional program with a fantastic propaganda arm.

But they are my regional program
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

#I'mwithmonk
View Quote
East and West come together!

Monk
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Agree with you 100%

View Quote
The first step to recovery is admitting the problem...

Monk
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Agree with you 100%

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Historical data is what it is. Teams don't reach 900 wins by having a couple of good teams.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Historical data is what it is. Teams don't reach 900 wins by having a couple of good teams.
View Quote
A data point/s without context tells an incomplete story.

Clearly the Nebraska has a history of many successful teams.
I wonder if if be possible to calculate to the quality of competition during those years and not just for the Corn Huskers?
What would that metric/value be?

Monk
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Notre Dame is the special needs short bus kid of FBS.

Everyone tries to make Notre Dame fans feel better about themselves.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I wonder if if be possible to calculate to the quality of competition during those years and not just for the Corn Huskers?

Monk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monk
That would be interesting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Every college program has its ups and downs, some more, some less. What is surprising to me is how a program like Nebraska has been so consistently down without coming back. I'm not even talking about being a contender, just a consistent top-20 program.
View Quote
Harvey "the weasel" Perlman and two incompetent AD hires is why Nebraska is where they are right now.  Scott Frost will get it turned around, but people are impatient. It's going to take several years to right the ship.

Hiring Bill Callahan after firing Frank Solich was one of the most idiotic moves in college sports history.  Hiring Mike Riley after firing Bo Pelini wasn't the brightest decision either.  Bo Pelini was a good coach and when he lost the support of those above  (harvey perlman) him is when the wheels came off of his time there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Every college program has its ups and downs, some more, some less. What is surprising to me is how a program like Nebraska has been so consistently down without coming back. I'm not even talking about being a contender, just a consistent top-20 program.
View Quote
They fired Callahan too soon.  He had the offense thoroughly modernized and humming but the defense was giving up points.  So he fixed that by recruiting a guy named Suh.  But he got fired the year before Suh started.  Then Pelini had no idea what to do with the offense and undid all his good work.  Riley was a disaster.

Pelini's first two years they almost won the Big 12 twice with literally no offense.  Callahan would have won at least one of those, possibly two.  Hopefully Frost eventually gets them where they need to be.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’ve been going to LSU games for 40+ years and I‘ve never seen this. It’s certainly not the norm and would not be tolerated. Makes for a nice sensational story though.

LC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've never been either, have you?  What a surprise.

LC
Surprisingly the average football fan doesn't enjoy getting piss bottles whipped at them, crazy I know
I’ve been going to LSU games for 40+ years and I‘ve never seen this. It’s certainly not the norm and would not be tolerated. Makes for a nice sensational story though.

LC
I haven’t had any problem there but know people who have.  Several years back two female journalism students at LSU dressed in Alabama clothing before a game and pretended to be Alabama students conducting interviews among the fans to see if they lived up to their reputation.  They weren’t treated very well and got some interesting footage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think it was one of those dumb things that really got some LSU fans all riled up about it...so at this point people keep saying it only because it always gets a reaction out of swamp kitties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I have to ask - serious question: What is it with the LSU and "corndog" references? I've seen it before but it doesn't make any sense. Do they sell a lot of corndogs in Tiger stadium nowadays?
I think it was one of those dumb things that really got some LSU fans all riled up about it...so at this point people keep saying it only because it always gets a reaction out of swamp kitties.
I never got the reference.  Maybe they serve corndogs there, but never noticed that smell.  I’d imagine most LSU fans were confused by the whole thing rather than angered.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
A series of shitty AD's who hired a series of shitty football coaches. Stay tuned the tide is changing in Lincoln.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They fired Callahan too soon.  He had the offense thoroughly modernized and humming but the defense was giving up points.  So he fixed that by recruiting a guy named Suh.  But he got fired the year before Suh started.  Then Pelini had no idea what to do with the offense and undid all his good work.  Riley was a disaster.

Pelini's first two years they almost won the Big 12 twice with literally no offense.  Callahan would have won at least one of those, possibly two.  Hopefully Frost eventually gets them where they need to be.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Callahan was 27-22 at Nebraska. He did not have anything going in the right direction at Nebraska.

ETA: Suh also said if they had not fired Callahan he would have played at Oregon State instead.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A series of shitty AD's who hired a series of shitty football coaches. Stay tuned the tide is changing in Lincoln.
View Quote
Getting a coach to that will be successful seems so hard. A ton of programs are experiencing having to get a new coach every 4-5 years. Notre Dame STILL is having trouble, and they've went after real smart coaches with great records at other schools.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Getting a coach to that will be successful seems so hard. A ton of programs are experiencing having to get a new coach every 4-5 years. Notre Dame STILL is having trouble, and they've went after real smart coaches with great records at other schools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AD Bill Moos said Frost, or as Matty calls him the Jinjer Jesus, will have as long as he needs. My booster friends tell me that is realistically 7-8 years. That's a long long time in today's game.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not so damned often I say. Princeton and Yale have close to 30 championships each. Y'all new whippersnappers like Obama are just flashes in the pan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you’re saying the Bluebloods of college football should change according to their current records?
I guess some take a more historic view.
How often should the list be revised?
The whippersnappers in Tuscaloosa were winning championships 75 years before the Gators.  Not a short period of time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

AD Bill Moos said Frost, or as Matty calls him the Jinjer Jesus, will have as long as he needs. My booster friends tell me that is realistically 7-8 years. That's a long long time in today's game.
View Quote
Dabo might be a good model to run on. 5 years might be too soon.

And just to pull from the past... Ohio State was just about to fire Woody Hayes. OSU was called the Graveyard of Coaches. And he was not doing well. Then all of a sudden things clicked for him and his teams.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Callahan was 27-22 at Nebraska. He did not have anything going in the right direction at Nebraska.

ETA: Suh also said if they had not fired Callahan he would have played at Oregon State instead.
View Quote
Callahan was having to go to JuCos to find a kid who could throw a football.  Then Pelini decided to switch the offense every other year because he was a defensive guy.  Callahan's offense was humming by the end of his tenure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And just to pull from the past... Ohio State was just about to fire Woody Hayes. OSU was called the Graveyard of Coaches. And he was not doing well. Then all of a sudden things clicked for him and his teams.
View Quote
I still remember the Omaha World Herald calling for Osborne to be fired.  Besides his near miss with Miami with Devany's recruits, he spent most of the 80s losing to Oklahoma and the Florida teams before he built his juggernaught.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Fleck started one year before Frost. Last year, Minnesota won their major rivalry game and won a bowl game, and this year is 8-0 and has the driver's seat for the championship game.

Frost is not doing as well as Fleck. C'mon Husker fans, what gives? Maybe Fleck is just a vastly better coach?
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fleck started one year before Frost. Last year, Minnesota won their major rivalry game and went Bowling, and this year is 8-0 and has the driver's seat for the championship game.

Frost is not doing as well as Fleck. C'mon Husker fans, what gives? Maybe Fleck is just a vastly better coach?
View Quote
Fleck had lower expectations and a less bad program

Edit- Nebraska doesn’t know how to ROW THE BOAT
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fleck started one year before Frost. Last year, Minnesota won their major rivalry game and went Bowling, and this year is 8-0 and has the driver's seat for the championship game.

View Quote
Minnesota sucks and always will.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I never got the reference.  Maybe they serve corndogs there, but never noticed that smell.  I’d imagine most LSU fans were confused by the whole thing rather than angered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I have to ask - serious question: What is it with the LSU and "corndog" references? I've seen it before but it doesn't make any sense. Do they sell a lot of corndogs in Tiger stadium nowadays?
Exactly. I’ve been attending games for quite a long time in Tiger Stadium, and they have never, ever served corn dogs at the concession stands.

LC
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fleck started one year before Frost. Last year, Minnesota won their major rivalry game and won a bowl game, and this year is 8-0 and has the driver's seat for the championship game.

View Quote
The sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then, though when Minnesota plays someone with a pulse the wheels will fall off like what has already happened to Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting change of tone after Michigan beat ND.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
They were great in a conference in the days of two good teams, everyone else sucked.  Throw in scholarship limits, other schools investing in football and it wasn't so easy.  Leave a conference with a state (Texas) that provides D1 talent and look what you have.  They don't even have two million people, little D1 talent, a cold empty state now no talent pipe line.  They were great in the day, you can't take that away.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Interesting change of tone after Michigan beat ND.
View Quote
lol

I still want Harbaugh fired
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LOL

View Quote
Well that and the fact that Texas and Notre Dame booster money makes most football programs look like the poors.

Here's a great site for explaining why certain programs get undeserved rankings

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Texas, Bama, ND, Michigan, OSU, almost always at the top. I will say UF has a pretty strong TV showing for a program that doesn't have the prestige of the "blue bloods"
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Harvey "the weasel" Perlman and two incompetent AD hires is why Nebraska is where they are right now.  Scott Frost will get it turned around, but people are impatient. It's going to take several years to right the ship.

Hiring Bill Callahan after firing Frank Solich was one of the most idiotic moves in college sports history.  Hiring Mike Riley after firing Bo Pelini wasn't the brightest decision either.  Bo Pelini was a good coach and when he lost the support of those above  (harvey perlman) him is when the wheels came off of his time there.
View Quote
*Laughs in Dan Mullen*

(2nd Year Coaches in CFB)
Chip Kelly (UCLA): 6-14
Scott Frost (Nebraska): 8-12
Jeremy Pruitt (Tennessee): 8-12
Joe Moorhead (Miss State): 11-10
Jimbo Fisher (TAMU): 14-7
Dan Mullen (UF): 17-4

And don't say he inherited a great program because the team went 4-7 the year before he arrived. Then the first year makes a NY6 bowl.
Page / 403
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top