Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 274
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We play conference games in November.  We play 1 P5, 1 G5, 1 FCS usually.  

View Quote

Traditionally most teams would start their season with those three types of non-conference games.

I know when I was coaching a top 10 NCAA program, I made sure I scheduled an easy team (lower division), a top 10 team (in our division), and top 25 team (higher division).  I'll do something similar when dealing with national team development responsibilities.

Taking that approach provides an opportunity to develop the team, gradually open up the playbook, and face adversity before conference play.

That said, does it make much difference when the three games are played?  It seems to work for some conferences/teams better than others.

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Traditionally most teams would start their season with those three types of non-conference games.

I know when I was coaching a top 10 NCAA program, I made sure I scheduled an easy team (lower division), a top 10 team (in our division), and top 25 team (higher division).  I'll do something similar when dealing with national team development responsibilities.

Taking that approach provides an opportunity to develop the team, gradually open up the playbook, and face adversity before conference play.

That said, does it make much difference when the three games are played?  It seems to work for some conferences/teams better than others.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Playing a bottom 5 FBS team (In EVERY way) in November is usually a path to success
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Playing a bottom 5 FBS team (In EVERY way) in November is usually a path to success
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're overlooking the fact that is also means a p5 usually conference game that would traditionally be played late season is now played in september. to use your example, bama played florida in september.

it wasnt that long ago that college football sucked for the first few weeks of the season because every weekend everyone front loaded the creampuffs. thats no longer true.

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

you're overlooking the fact that is also means a p5 usually conference game that would traditionally be played late season is now played in september. to use your example, bama played florida in september.

it wasnt that long ago that college football sucked for the first few weeks of the season because every weekend everyone front loaded the creampuffs. thats no longer true.

View Quote

100% correct.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG SEC SO HARD

Big 12 plays conference games in September, along with every other conference with 9 conference games because that's when they start
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Playing a conference game in September should be an automatic playoff qualifier
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m glad my Dawgs played Auburn early this year.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go Hogs.  Also, the shit my coaches (defensive line position coaches) said to us when I was playing at Arkansas would make the TExas DLine coach blush and maybe cry!
View Quote

He’s coached under Saban multiple times, so I doubt it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You coached a Top 10 NCAA football program? To the level that you were the one SCHEDULING games?

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You coached a Top 10 NCAA football program? To the level that you were the one SCHEDULING games?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he coached a real sport - rugby.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that like hockey for pussies?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OMG SEC SO HARD

Big 12 plays conference games in September, along with every other conference with 9 conference games because that's when they start
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG SEC SO HARD

We get it, you don't like the SEC, especially Alabama.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OMG SEC SO HARD

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG SEC SO HARD

Yeah the SEC sucks so bad the 2 marquee Big12 teams want to join. Must be because they see an easy path to the playoffs. What else could it be?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG SEC SO HARD

He hasn’t always been that way. It only started after Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving the Big12. Now he hates the entire SEC when his anger should be directed at the 2 teams bailing. How could the SEC say No? That wouldn’t be wise financially. And the SEC is in the business of making money.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He hasn’t always been that way. It only started after Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving the Big12. Now he hates the entire SEC when his anger should be directed at the 2 teams bailing. How could the SEC say No? That wouldn’t be wise financially. And the SEC is in the business of making money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG SEC SO HARD

I've been making fun of any SEC teams playing Bottom 10 and FCS teams in November forever now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG SEC SO HARD

If you play a bottom 10 G5 and FCS team in November you get made fun of.  

I'm sure if you want to go back and read all my posts over the years Notre Dame is usually a weekly point at that time of the year.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-16-2015/-Dioog.gif

If you don't love your job....
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rugby

Yes, you work with your AD to schedule games.

I had the ability to suggest potential opponents and we worked with the other schools' ADs to finalize the contracts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are what you eat

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm sure if you want to go back and read all my posts over the years Notre Dame is usually a weekly point at that time of the year.
View Quote

Looks like the cream of the crop out of the B12 pads their late schedule too…

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/1622FA76-6950-461B-BAB8-4DCC5E5C3071-2165183.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/1622FA76-6950-461B-BAB8-4DCC5E5C3071-2165183.jpg

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You are what you eat

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are what you eat

I bet rich girls like rugby players, poor folks aren't sure its a sport
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I bet rich girls like rugby lacrosse players, poor folks aren't sure its a sport
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet rich girls like rugby lacrosse players, poor folks aren't sure its a sport

I actually think you're right, lacrosse has the sticks with the net on the end
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Not at all confident in OU winning today.  First time I've actually been nervous this year and not just enjoyed them playing.  Probably the last as well.  Not sure why.  I've resigned that the fact they matchup poorly against Okie State and will likely lose.  

Now catching up to this thread from all week long.  I think a somewhat hidden gem of a coach is Josh Heupel.  He is consistently getting programs moving forward at this point.  I doubt he would ever go to UTerus, but he would be an asset there.

Edit:  I am aware he has a legit beef with Coach Stoops.  I can't really blame him, Bob set him up for failure at OU.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not at all confident in OU winning today.  First time I've actually been nervous this year and not just enjoyed them playing.  Probably the last as well.  Not sure why.  I've resigned that the fact they matchup poorly against Okie State and will likely lose.  

Now catching up to this thread from all week long.  I think a somewhat hidden gem of a coach is Josh Heupel.  He is consistently getting programs moving forward at this point.  I doubt he would ever go to UTerus, but he would be an asset there.

Edit:  I am aware he has a legit beef with Coach Stoops.  I can't really blame him, Bob set him up for failure at OU.
View Quote

What are your thoughts on the Riley to LSU rumors?
I know the LSU fans are throwing a lot of big names around in their hope they land one of them so take it with a grain of salt but he is still being talked about.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I know the LSU fans are throwing a lot of big names around in their hope they land one of them so take it with a grain of salt but he is still being talked about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riley @ LSU would be interesting at least if he leaves the OU defense behind
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would he leave OU?
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But but but……it’s those prolific Big12 offenses that make the defenses look bad.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why would he leave OU?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would he leave OU?

That’s the question
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

But but but……it’s those prolific Big12 offenses that make the defenses look bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a common problem outside the B1G
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That’s the question
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would he leave OU?

That’s the question

He would be an idiot if he did.

And why would you want an idiot for a head coach?
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I mean, I don't know, hopefully not.  I think most fans are happy with him and he has a long future if he wants it.

Still nervous about todays game even with OU matching up well with how Baylor plays.  Just way to inconsistent play coming from OU.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I mean, I don't know, hopefully not.  I think most fans are happy with him and he has a long future if he wants it.

Still nervous about todays game even with OU matching up well with how Baylor plays.  Just way to inconsistent play coming from OU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely a tough spot for OU. On the road against a team that’s had this game circled on the calendar for a while.
An upset wouldn’t be surprising.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Is there a better DE combo than Michigan?
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#42]
You call a time out before a punt and still give up the fake
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is there a better DE combo than Michigan?
View Quote

Penn St QB is going to be lucky to survive the game if the RB doesn’t start picking up the blitz.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank God for the kid from Ohio playing defense for OU!  At least someone can tackle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]
James Franklin may be a worse in game coach than Harbaugh
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Lol...

1st quarter and cousin eddy has given up 21 points, at home, to an FCS team. 1st quarter ain't even over.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
James Franklin may be a worse in game coach than Harbaugh
View Quote

What’s the record for trickery in 1 game?
He’s at 2 in the first quarter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lol...

1st quarter and cousin eddy has given up 21 points, at home, to an FCS team. 1st quarter ain't even over.
View Quote

I just can’t see how he survives much more of this.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lol...

View Quote

He needs to up his stats for comeback wins
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What’s the record for trickery in 1 game?
He’s at 2 in the first quarter.
View Quote

He coaches like it is Madden
Page / 274
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top