BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 274
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So who impresses you and you would be happy with the hire if Harbaugh was to leave?

I would have to think a lot of the big names were already contacted this year about interest at some pretty high profile programs and others were actually hired. That means there are some guys who aren’t interested in leaving their current situation and others who have recently moved. So who is it? Who’s left out there?
View Quote

Matt Campbell
Dabo
Sean McVay
Lane Kiffin
Luke Fickell

I bet any of those could win a Big 10 title within 7 years.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’ve never agreed with the playoffs making the regular season less significant. Didn’t that come about due to some NFL teams who had already qualified for the playoffs being accused of resting players and “cheating” the fans out of getting to watch them play?

Is that what college fans are afraid of? Hell they’re getting cheated by all the opt outs in bowl games from the NFL quality players. Could that be fixed by making the games worth something? Like expanding the playoffs? Opt outs don’t appear to be a problem in the playoff games.

View Quote

To be fair, muh eyeball test has made the regular season results unimportant.

But that is the committee’s problem they created
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would say the more recent game would be more indicative of where a team sits now if I was the committee.

In reality, I have always believed, when comparing two closely matched teams, that it is difficult to win twice. I think setting up rematches in a playoff hampers the team that won in the regular season. Part of my reason for preferring a system that selects against rematches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One hole in that is the fact Oklahoma St beat Baylor earlier in the year. Baylor won the rematch yesterday so does that mean Georgia possibly wins the rematch vs Bama or OSU vs Michigan?

I would say the more recent game would be more indicative of where a team sits now if I was the committee.

In reality, I have always believed, when comparing two closely matched teams, that it is difficult to win twice. I think setting up rematches in a playoff hampers the team that won in the regular season. Part of my reason for preferring a system that selects against rematches.

Rematches are the reason why I’m not necessarily a fan of conference championship games. Utah / Oregon and Baylor / Okie St had already played. I’d be fine skipping that and moving straight into an expanded playoff.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Forget about the top 4 and look at this play.  

The Pitt QB does a fake slide, which confuses the defenses, and results in a TD.  Is it a cheap move or smart move?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bb0n4pNwBw
View Quote

Take away targeting and make the QB fair game and see how long that stunt lasts
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Michigan
Bama
Cincy
UGA
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

One question. Do you sincerely believe Cincinnati would be undefeated and is capable of having won the Big10 or SEC this year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am having a difficult time understanding the idea that Cinci is undeserving of a playoff spot based on the assumption that thet would lose to uga by 2 tds. What happened last year? Uga needed a miracle 53 yard fg to take a 1 point lead with 12 seconds left to escape with a win vs Cinci.

One question. Do you sincerely believe Cincinnati would be undefeated and is capable of having won the Big10 or SEC this year?

Georgia isn’t and wasn’t.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Georgia didn’t.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am having a difficult time understanding the idea that Cinci is undeserving of a playoff spot based on the assumption that thet would lose to uga by 2 tds. What happened last year? Uga needed a miracle 53 yard fg to take a 1 point lead with 12 seconds left to escape with a win vs Cinci.

Georgia didn’t.

Exactly but that’s exactly why Cincinnati is in the playoffs. Because they are undefeated from having played a weak ass schedule. That’s no fault of Cincinnatis. That’s a fault of the system. Same as when Western Michigan and UCF went undefeated. But none of that changes the SOS argument. And here we are again at the point we realize that results on the field are the only true way to settle this controversy.

And your hard on vs Georgia is duly noted.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly but that’s exactly why Cincinnati is in the playoffs. Because they are undefeated from having played a weak ass schedule. That’s no fault of Cincinnatis. That’s a fault of the system. Same as when Western Michigan and UCF went undefeated. But none of that changes the SOS argument. And here we are again at the point we realize that results on the field are the only true way to settle this controversy.

View Quote

Watching the Longhorns become Vanderbilt west when they join the SEC is going to be oddly satisfying.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Watching the Longhorns become Vanderbilt west when they join the SEC is going to be oddly satisfying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vanderbilt? Does that mean we get an occasional James Franklin (decent coach)? Because that would be fuckin awesome.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Matt Campbell
Dabo
Sean McVay
Lane Kiffin
Luke Fickell

View Quote

Lol at Matt Campbell. People are still riding his dick?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Georgia didn’t.

Georgia and ND should have a play in.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Matt Campbell
Dabo
Sean McVay
Lane Kiffin
Luke Fickell

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So who impresses you and you would be happy with the hire if Harbaugh was to leave?

I would have to think a lot of the big names were already contacted this year about interest at some pretty high profile programs and others were actually hired. That means there are some guys who aren’t interested in leaving their current situation and others who have recently moved. So who is it? Who’s left out there?

Matt Campbell
Dabo
Sean McVay
Lane Kiffin
Luke Fickell

Fickell is the next big get for a big school.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Vanderbilt? Does that mean we get an occasional James Franklin (decent coach)? Because that would be fuckin awesome.
View Quote

You HAD Mack Brown.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

People should turn on a coach after a bad year?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You HAD Mack Brown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You HAD Mack Brown.

And he got super lazy and quit recruiting around 2008. He never recovered from that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Should bama be ranked higher than Michigan?

Should UGA be ranked higher than Cincy?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But that's always been the problem with the playoff/NFL-style way of settling a champion.  Even in sports with longer seasons, a la baseball, the team that gets hot at the right time takes home the trophy.  If you are fine with that team being the champion, so be it; just don't pretend that the regular season or conference championships matter all that much.  And that's my problem with the playoff.

CFB had - HAD - the best regular season of all sports, and I loved it.  And even the old bowl system made for a fascinating bowl season/New Years Day.  I was never a fan of this playoff system from the beginning, because it always, obviously, had to come at the expense of the regular season; 4 teams was never going to be enough to satisfy everyone; and expanding the playoff just makes the regular season less compelling.

Again, there's nothing wrong with picking one way or the other to 'declare' the champion; I just didn't think there was so much wrong with the way CFB did it that we had to destroy the main thing that made CFB great.  Or, to put it another way, I don't think the way CFB does it now is good enough to justify destroying the CFB regular season.

tl;dr does anyone actually think the 2007 Giants were better than the 2007 Patriots?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have always felt like saying the playoff committee should pick the four "best teams" didn't make a lot of sense. I think it should be used to settle unanswered questions about the top teams.

For example, let's assume for a minute we all agreed that the four best teams were Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama and Georgia. What good would seeding all four of those really do? We already know Michigan and Alabama have won those match ups.

The unanswered questions for me would be, how do Cincinnati (Notre Dame is eliminated by Cincinnati already beating them - question answered) and Baylor (Okla St lost - question answered) do in that mix. The Pac 12 and ACC just didn't have a strong enough showing this year to justify a "question".

All still a subjective test, but seems a little easier to justify your eliminations and make head to heads through the season matter.

One hole in that is the fact Oklahoma St beat Baylor earlier in the year. Baylor won the rematch yesterday so does that mean Georgia possibly wins the rematch vs Bama or OSU vs Michigan?

But that's always been the problem with the playoff/NFL-style way of settling a champion.  Even in sports with longer seasons, a la baseball, the team that gets hot at the right time takes home the trophy.  If you are fine with that team being the champion, so be it; just don't pretend that the regular season or conference championships matter all that much.  And that's my problem with the playoff.

CFB had - HAD - the best regular season of all sports, and I loved it.  And even the old bowl system made for a fascinating bowl season/New Years Day.  I was never a fan of this playoff system from the beginning, because it always, obviously, had to come at the expense of the regular season; 4 teams was never going to be enough to satisfy everyone; and expanding the playoff just makes the regular season less compelling.

Again, there's nothing wrong with picking one way or the other to 'declare' the champion; I just didn't think there was so much wrong with the way CFB did it that we had to destroy the main thing that made CFB great.  Or, to put it another way, I don't think the way CFB does it now is good enough to justify destroying the CFB regular season.

tl;dr does anyone actually think the 2007 Giants were better than the 2007 Patriots?

Every year there are usually two teams that are noticeably better than the rest and sometimes a third.  Sports media pushed for playoffs to get more material to talk/write about at the expense of more than a century of tradition.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Georgia didn’t.

Or just expand it enough to take these questions away. That would be a fine first round game. Let Baylor play Utah too. Seems simple enough.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He’s been at Iowa St for 5-6 years now and is yet to play in a conference championship game. Wasn’t that 1 of your qualifications?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And he got super lazy and quit recruiting around 2008. He never recovered from that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You HAD Mack Brown.

Do you think that was a result of the politics at Texas having finally worn him out?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bama
Michigan
Cincy
Uga or ND
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Michigan is #1 IMO. Bama is #2.
I think Georgia is also better than Cincinnati but I’d still seed Georgia #4 for losing yesterday and make them beat the #1 seed in the first round to advance.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

yes and yes

bama
georgia
mich
cincy

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Everybody wants to play Cincy in the first playoff round. LOL.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

yes and yes

bama
georgia
mich
cincyj

View Quote

Michigan had way tougher competition this year than either Bama or Georgia.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What were the expectations when the season started ?

What were UoM % of winning the big 10 ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Btw where are all the Harbaugh haters?

I didn’t see any of you bitching about beating ohio and winning the B1G championship. Aren’t you upset Harbaugh is going to be around longer now?

If he doesn’t win a playoff game, fire him.

Nothing would have changed at that point.

Is the goal to win a Big 10 championship or national championship?

What were the expectations when the season started ?

What were UoM % of winning the big 10 ?

2 percent
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you think that was a result of the politics at Texas having finally worn him out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You HAD Mack Brown.

Politics didn’t keep his from watching recruits videos that his assistants brought him.

He got lazy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Cristobal to Miami sucks for cruitin competition in Florida. He's not gonna win many games, he couldn't win in the weakass pac12 with zero competition ; so in the acc where some random teams are passably good each year - he's gonna get wrecked.  However, he will leave them set up with a loaded class for the next guy.

In ~3-4 years we might see Miami in the playoffs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Pitt QB does a fake slide, which confuses the defenses, and results in a TD.  Is it a cheap move or smart move?

View Quote

Looked like he just slipped for a second? I'm not seeing anything resembling a "fake slide"
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does that tell us?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cristobal to Miami sucks for cruitin competition in Florida. He's not gonna win many games, he couldn't win in the weakass pac12 with zero competition ; so in the acc where some random teams are passably good each year - he's gonna get wrecked.  However, he will leave them set up with a loaded class for the next guy.

In ~3-4 years we might see Miami in the playoffs.
View Quote

How did Miami's program collapse after 2001 or whatever year it was.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Politics didn’t keep his from watching recruits videos that his assistants brought him.

He got lazy.
View Quote

I was happy to see him go.  I am kinda sad at what happened to UT it’s hard to have a rival when they lose to kansas.  Then again flr tried to lose to Kansas too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Saban was quoted as saying they used the underdog position as motivation. Fucking Bama. We were 1 game away from having an almost complete changing of the guard in the playoffs.
View Quote

I've got a feeling Saban is done this year. Look at his interviews. Smiling, happy, laughing. Radically different than basically his entire career. Dude is enjoying his last season. You don't see such a drastic change in demeanor unless something is up.

If he wins, I bet two dollars he's out. Maaayyybe he comes back if he doesn't win. But I bet dude is gone if he wins again.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes and yes

bama
georgia
mich
cincyj

That’s not what some think.

Sagarin who is highly respected has Bama 7, Michigan 31 and Georgia 35.

And just for grins. Cincinnati 82.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not me

I’d like for Bama to skullfuck Michigan first
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been thinking about this play since it happened and I think every QB has the capability to pull this shit one time only in their NCAA career.  As soon as it's on film, every opposing defensive coordinator will outline the potential for this tomfoolery.  Eventually the QB will try it again, the D won't bite on the bluff and the QB will be hurt.

That will be the end of fake slides as then the NCAA will come in and make it yet another judgement call penalty the ref's get power over.  Oh did it look like the QB was going to slide?  Then the D probably thought the same thing, back that game winning TD back to the spot where the QB tripped/stumbled and it looks like he was faking a slide.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Well the ND haters have nothing to fear. #5
Guess we know the SEC has 2
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How did Miami's program collapse after 2001 or whatever year it was.
View Quote

Miami doesn't care about football, constant investigations for being dirty, don't have their own stadium, etc etc.

Honestly any of the big three in Florida (Miami, FSU, UF) have a shot of being NC teams simply due to being in the most talent laden state for recruits. Both homegrown and imported, due to all the football Highschools that literally are just HS farm leagues for college. Get a lights out recruiter at any of the big 3, and it's game over.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What does that tell us?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that tell us?

Yeah, I just find it funny And dirty at the same time. It goes against having a true competitive spirit. A real competitor would want to play the best, to prove they are the best.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, I just find it funny And dirty at the same time. It goes against having a true competitive spirit. A real competitor would want to play the best, to prove they are the best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that tell us?

Cincy is #4 so they get that opportunity
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Fricking Bama is #1
Michigan #2
Georgia #3
Cincy #4
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#42]
bama
UM
UGA
Cincinnati
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Fricking Bama is #1
Michigan #2
Georgia #3
Cincy #4
View Quote

AP rankings?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's no fault of Cinci?

Who scheduled their opponents?  Jerry Jones?  Oh wait Cinci set up their own schedule.  It was Cinci who decided to schedule only one out of conference game against a team that has been ranked in the last 10y.  

Look, everyone knows the AA is a shit conference.  If a team is looking to break the mold they can either just play their shit schedule and face the ridicule of their poor strength of schedule (and the risk of one loss knocking them out).  Or then can man the fuck up and schedule some real games against real teams.  ONE ranked out of conference game isn't even close to a down year Pac12 schedule, much less a B1G or SEC schedule.  

It is Cinci's fault.  Quit trying to pass the blame to some "mystical system" when we all know that teams have control of their own schedule.

---------------------------------

That being said, Cinci did answer the calling and is fixing this problem by going to a stronger conference.  They saw the writing on the wall and stepped up.  But that's a decision they made for the future.  This year their schedule was their doing.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

AP rankings?
View Quote

CFP Final Poll
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#46]
In before the all SEC Championship game meltdown
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

AP rankings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fricking Bama is #1
Michigan #2
Georgia #3
Cincy #4

AP rankings?

Playoff selection show is on ESPN
That’s official
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Or just expand it enough to take these questions away. That would be a fine first round game. Let Baylor play Utah too. Seems simple enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Georgia didn’t.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In before the all SEC Championship game meltdown
View Quote

Michigan -4.5 vs Cincy for the natty
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Who scheduled their opponents?  Jerry Jones?  Oh wait Cinci set up their own schedule.  It was Cinci who decided to schedule only one out of conference game against a team that has been ranked in the last 10y.  

Look, everyone knows the AA is a shit conference.  If a team is looking to break the mold they can either just play their shit schedule and face the ridicule of their poor strength of schedule (and the risk of one loss knocking them out).  Or then can man the fuck up and schedule some real games against real teams.  ONE ranked out of conference game isn't even close to a down year Pac12 schedule, much less a B1G or SEC schedule.  

It is Cinci's fault.  Quit trying to pass the blame to some "mystical system" when we all know that teams have control of their own schedule.

That being said, Cinci did answer the calling and is fixing this problem by going to a stronger conference.  They saw the writing on the wall and stepped up.  But that's a decision they made for the future.  This year their schedule was their doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are a victim of conference affiliation.
That will soon be corrected. But then how strong will the new Big12 honestly be?
Page / 274
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top