Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't get too worked up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I admittedly don't know anything about this topic, but that's a terrible accusation to make about any of our soldiers out there.  God knows a bunch of people on the internet certainly don't know the facts, and I'd assume most of the media doesn't either.  I hope this guy catches a break when he makes it home.  Sounds like he definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Don't get too worked up.

But but but there is a Facebook page and Hashtags!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
"The prisoners that will be exchanged for Bergdahl are Mohammad Fazl, Mullah Norullah Noori, Mohammed Nabi, Khairullah Khairkhwa, Abdul Haq Wasiq. There are now 149 detainees remaining at Guantanamo Bay. "

lets just hope we never read those names anywhere again...
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
WTF, when did we start negotiating with terrorist?!
View Quote

We've been unofficially negotiating for years
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have always negotiated with terrorists. We just don't like to admit it.  

Iran-Contra ring a bell?

Prior to the first Barbary Pirate War, the US paid tribute and ransoms to the Barbary States.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So hey, apparently we negotiate with terrorists now. Super!
We have always negotiated with terrorists. We just don't like to admit it.  

Iran-Contra ring a bell?

Prior to the first Barbary Pirate War, the US paid tribute and ransoms to the Barbary States.

Yop, just through a third party.

As was the case with this trade.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So much for the policy of non negotiation with terrorists. Wonder what kind of consequences this shift in policy might have in the future.

As for Bowe Bergdahl, He has some explaining to do and will no doubt be thoroughly debriefed.
View Quote

We did not negotiate with terrorists.......O just talked to several cousins.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
While I generally detest Rolling Stone, they did some excellent reporting on his willful desertion.  He had some nice things to say about America and the Army right before he deserted.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/americas-last-prisoner-of-war-20120607

Link left cold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
While I generally detest Rolling Stone, they did some excellent reporting on his willful desertion.  He had some nice things to say about America and the Army right before he deserted.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/americas-last-prisoner-of-war-20120607

Link left cold.

^^^^^This.^^^^^ Pretty close summation and explanation of everything I heard and was told by a buddy "close to the investigation".

Here in Spokane WA there were several billboards playing on the blind patriotism of locals..."He FOUGHT for you, FIGHT for him" and other assorted condensed and distilled horseshit. Not really sure what the connection is, fuckstick's home of record is 400-ish miles due SW as the crow flies, and ISN'T from what's considered the greater E. Washington/ Northern ID area. I'm glad for that, 'cause I devoutly hope I never need to hear about him again.

Flat fact is, this "SGT" is no better the John Walker Lindh.

Quoted:

I admittedly don't know anything about this topic, THEN, UHHH, ....STOP RIGHT FUCKING THERE, AND TRY SHUTTING THE FUCK UP?
but that's a terrible accusation to make about any of our soldiers out there.  God knows a bunch of people on the internet certainly don't know the facts, and I'd assume most of the media doesn't either.  I hope this guy catches a break when he makes it home.  Sounds like he definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

SLY-GET EDUCATED ON THE SUBJECT, THEN COMMENT. AS A 20 YEAR + MEDICALLY RETIRED COMBAT INFANTRY VETERAN, I HAVE "SKIN" IN THIS CONVERSATION, YOU ARE POSTING ON NOTHING LESS THAN "NICE PERSON FEELGOOD PUPPY DAGS AND RAINBOW COTTON CANDY KISSY FEELINGS. STFU
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, he'll get a big ass back pay check, right?
View Quote

Book and Movie deal!
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You should find some soldiers who were there to talk to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That Rolling Stone article seems like a bunch of hearsay packed into a creatively written anti-war piece.  I wouldn't give it much creedence.

You should find some soldiers who were there to talk to.

X-Ring!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
How did he make E-5 without a promotion board, SSD 1, and WLC?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

DA Policy (*might* be DoD) is that confirmed POW's make promotion the instant TIS/TIG is met. It's meant to honor those that are UNWILLINGLY captured.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if any Americans were killed by, or died trying to capture the five guys that we just handed over. If the Taliban wanted them back, then I am going to assume that these weren't nobodies who were just nabbed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I hate to be calloused, but American servicemen and women volunteer to die to keep America safe from exactly the kind of assholes we just handed over. Used to be that we didn't negotiate with terrorists. I guess that's one more thing to add to the 'Good Ol' Days' list.

You can let me have it all you want, but that's my opinion and I ain't changing it.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
The CSM of the Taliban has been pushing SSD-1 for a long time

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

POWs are always promoted at a rate consistent with their peers.  There were 1lts that got shot down in Vietnam that were released as Majors.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

When a soldier is missing in action / known POW, that Soldier will continue to be promoted in line with their peers. Schools can be caught up once the Soldier returns to duty.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Some points:
1. Like it or not, the war in Afghanistan is winding down. Prisoner swaps happen at the end of every war.
2. Even if he did desert, he should be tried by Court martial, and do his time, not rot in a cave forever, and remain a permanent MIA/POW
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Could we charter an airline from a Muslim country to take the Gitmo prisoners back to 'stan?  Maybe, I don't know, someone like Malaysia Airlines.  Maybe they have a 777 for charter.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Some points:

1. Like it or not, the war in Afghanistan is winding down. Prisoner swaps happen at the end of every war.

View Quote

Prisoner swaps happen between recognized governments when both sides agree to stop fighting. The whole point of that war was to destroy the Taliban and Al Queda, force them from power in Afghanistan and leave a democratic government behind which is capable of securing the country from extremists. That may have been a bit ambitious and foolishly hopeful, but handing the exact kind of cocksuckers that we sent our troops over there to bring to justice or kill just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Some points:
2. Even if he did desert, he should be tried by Court martial, and do his time, not rot in a cave forever, and remain a permanent MIA/POW
View Quote

Made it all better.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#21]
So we're trading 5 terrorists for 1?  Awesome.  

My buddy got blown up, and I can't even remember how many firefights we got in while looking for that traitor.  

What a joke.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Watching the various posts on FB.  This came from a post commenting on the story from an Idaho paper:

From one of his own: He was at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice interceptor that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

POWs are always promoted at a rate consistent with their peers.  There were 1lts that got shot down in Vietnam that were released as Majors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't surprise me to see him medically retired.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
isnt too much to ask to chip one of them then drop a jdam on all of them once we left?
View Quote

I wish this was what was going to happen, but with the current political leaders there is no way.
Or at least keep an eye on the Taliban that released him with a Predator drone and follow them back to camp. Then drop a couple of JDAMs on the camp.
That won't happen either.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Not negotiating with terrorists was fun while it lasted.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There was mention of soldiers who died trying to bring him back.  

Does anybody know how many?
View Quote

It's probably not a statistic that DoD will ever release.  Any number greater than 0 is too many IMO and I know it's far greater than that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I admittedly don't know anything about this topic, but that's a terrible accusation to make about any of our soldiers out there.  God knows a bunch of people on the internet certainly don't know the facts, and I'd assume most of the media doesn't either.  I hope this guy catches a break when he makes it home.  Sounds like he definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt.
View Quote
A bunch of people here are intimately familiar with his actions and humped hills and got shot at looking for him. I believe some even died.

I trust them at their word.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the way you think.
Quoted:

That was the offical account...and propaganda.

I am glad that SGT Bergdahl, as a U.S. soldier and American citizen, will hopefully soon be home and back with his family and that those of us who sweated and bled to find him in the days and weeks following his disappearance can close this chapter of the story.

The next chapter, however, should be quite interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the official count was fell behind in a patrol and captured, that rumors of him walking off base were Taliban propaganda

That was the offical account...and propaganda.

I am glad that SGT Bergdahl, as a U.S. soldier and American citizen, will hopefully soon be home and back with his family and that those of us who sweated and bled to find him in the days and weeks following his disappearance can close this chapter of the story.

The next chapter, however, should be quite interesting.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#31]
What did we give up for one guy?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nobody has ever not negotiated with terrorists
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not negotiating with terrorists was fun while it lasted.

Nobody has ever not negotiated with terrorists

Well, we used to at least pretend not to.

Besides, our terrorists aren't cheeky and humorously drunken Irishmen.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuck that guy, I hope he gets some new perspective on his life.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Watching the various posts on FB.  This came from a post commenting on the story from an Idaho paper:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From one of his own: He was at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice interceptor that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday.

What a fuckin asshole

RIP
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#36]
In before Obama parades him on a stage as a political prop.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Disgraceful.

Absolutely disgraceful.  Worse, those armatures will think this is a victory.  JUnior Varsity leadership at its best.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I read on USA today that he was captured while taking a dump. Didnt say anything about deserting.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

WTF, when did we start negotiating with terrorist?!
View Quote

Sometime in the 1790s I believe.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I read on USA today that he was captured while taking a dump. Didnt say anything about deserting.  
View Quote

The Weekly World News was a more reliable news source than USA Today ever has been, so I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith into their hardhitting coverage.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#41]
We shouldn't be trading anyone to get back a deserter.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was he a deserter or just wander off base one night?

Both.

Weren't soldiers killed while looking for him?

Why would we take him back for free, let alone give up people for him?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree 100%, I was just a few FOBs away when this fucker deserted.  We went through hell trying to find him too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Sadly this is no surprise.

To anyone who knew good men that were wounded or killed looking for this jackass - my apologies. Another sucker punch to our military by an adminstration that has NO respect for our warriors. The repugnent actions of this admistration knows no bounds.

Just an FYI to those unaware:

From Michelle Malkin:

Prior to becoming at Attorney General of the United States, Eric Holder was a senior partner with Covington & Burling, a prestigious Washington, D.C. law firm, which represents 17 Yemenis currently held at Gitmo.

Covington & Burling’s Gitmo bar roster has included some of the most radical detainee advocates; see David Remes, who peeled down to his underwear at a press conference in Yemen to draw attention to his clients’ plight and Marc Falkoff, who published a book of detainee poetry and who, in the book’s intro, compared their heroic struggle to the Jews held in concentration camps and Japanese Americans held in internment camps during WWII. [One of Falkoff's "gentle, thoughtful" young poets--a Kuwaiti "cleared for release" and repatriated in 2005--blew himself up in a truck bomb in Mosul last March, killing 13 Iraqi army soldiers and wounding 42 others.]
The fact that Mr. Holder, while Deputy Attorney General, pushed for the release of 16 violent FALN terrorists against the advice of the FBI, the US Attorneys who prosecuted them and the NYPD officers who were maimed by them, suggests that he was perfectly willing to put politics before the national security interests of the country. He is not suited for the job of attorney general, which is central to the issues surrounding the disposition of war on terror detainees.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Misconduct and pending NJP actions auto-terminate the Med-Hold Process.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Rep. Howard 'Buck' McKeon, R-Calif., Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., on
release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl: 'Our terrorist adversaries now have a
strong incentive to capture Americans' - via @NBCNews

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For PR reasons I don't see that happening.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Maybe he will get a sex change too
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agree 100%, I was just a few FOBs away when this fucker deserted.  We went through hell trying to find him too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here I was up in Uruzgahn Province and we were doing extra patrols for that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#50]

How long before he becomes an "American hero who is pro gun control" and starts making the Obama Tour?

Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top