Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Any more info on this Jeff Howard guy, was he there, did he know Bergdahl?
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching the various posts on FB.  This came from a post commenting on the story from an Idaho paper:

From one of his own: He was at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice interceptor that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday.

Could you provide a link?  Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/KTVB7/photos/a.146301768990.112066.6020343990/10152385137598991/?type=1&theater

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's some info on the 5 detainees who got released:

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/05/31/breaking-bowe-bergdahl-released-u-s-traded-5-gitmo-detainees-for-his-release/#comment-811554

Yeesh. Their assessments make them sound like silver and bronze medalists in the Terrorist Olympics.

-Warren-

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Deserters should be shot. I fucking hate cowards. If you don't want to fight, you do things that doesn't put you in that position. Don't need to go over to the enemies side.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

... that Obama is ending the war, bringing all the troops home, yadda yadda, so smile and STFU all of you evil conservatives.

View Quote

Not all of us.  I'm still scheduled to go back again in October.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Deserters should be shot. I fucking hate cowards. If you don't want to fight, you do things that doesn't put you in that position. Don't need to go over to the enemies side.
View Quote

If he had been found over there, many would have shot him.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some still may.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Probably nothing. He'll publicly be hailed as a hero. It would be a PR nightmare, that Obama would have none of, to go after him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck Him, I was in his unit. God damn deserter  did NOT get "left behind" in a patrol that shit does not happen period. Everyone had a buddy and everyone was always accounted for. He walked off the FOB in the middle of the night to go enjoy man love thursday with Tommy Taliban. We wasted way to much time looking for him and GOOD soldiers that loved their country died doing it. Fuck that mother fucker.

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/give_a_fuck.gif

I'm actually very curious to find out what will happen to him.
Probably nothing. He'll publicly be hailed as a hero. It would be a PR nightmare, that Obama would have none of, to go after him.

This Nothing will happen the blind patriotism and back patting has already started..no  slowing this train down
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet. We had a turd who was "traumatized" because a IED blew up not to far from his vehicle. One of the guys was out for a few days because of a concussion. But THIS dude had no physical injuries or nothing, but he weaseled his way out of doing patrols. Where it was common for us to do 14-16 hour patrols, daily. So that meant someone else who really needed downtime wasn't going to get any much needed rest because this jackoff was being a coward.

It wasn't like I enjoyed going out in sector 6 out of 7 days a week and getting hardly any sleep to speak of. But I'd never pull some shit like that and force someone else to carry my weight.

God, I'm actually starting to get pissed off thinking about all this. LOL. I hate these pieces of shit.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Track the five with a drone then as soon as they are release, BAM HEAD SHOT!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bergdahl will be out of the Army in a heartbeat, and those five fucksticks will be back on the battlefield even before that.

Yup.

Track the five with a drone then as soon as they are release, BAM HEAD SHOT!

I think we probably had a deal for their safe travel.
Deals a deal.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
"ASHAMED TO BE AMERICAN"

Here is your hero America
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... that Obama is ending the war, bringing all the troops home, yadda yadda, so smile and STFU all of you evil conservatives.

Do good work for us.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I suppose that assclown had to come back sometime. Fuck him and whatever fucktards thought it would be a good idea to "promote" him to Sgt

He's probably going to spend some well deserved time in the hoosegow.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

"ASHAMED TO BE AMERICAN"
View Quote

Further validates that this cocksucker should be a corpse.

And he apparently wept when he was rescued by US Forces? God damnit, he should have been forced to live there til he died of his head being sawed off or some other shit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And he apparently wept when he was rescued by US Forces? God damnit, he should have been forced to live there til he died of his head being sawed off or some other shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"ASHAMED TO BE AMERICAN"

That's enough for me.... Fuck him!!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do good work for us.
View Quote

Pretty sure I'll sit on my ass on some base in Kabul the whole time, but I'll give it my all.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Deserters should be shot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"ASHAMED TO BE AMERICAN"

Damn it!  What the fucking fuck!  This turd is getting a Presidential welcome!  How the fuck is this even possible that this administration is so deluded?  Oh man, I hope the truth gets out about this little fucker.  Anyone that puts him on a pedestal should be horse whipped.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deserters should be shot.

PSOFPNI

(Post Somewhere On Fifth Page Nails It)
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty sure I'll sit on my ass on some base in Kabul the whole time, but I'll give it my all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do good work for us.

A friend of mine spent 15 months in Iraq eating burger king. Good bad, it's all more than I do.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Damn it!  What the fucking fuck!  This turd is getting a Presidential welcome!  How the fuck is this even possible that this administration is so deluded?  Oh man, I hope the truth gets out about this little fucker.  Anyone that puts him on a pedestal should be horse whipped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"ASHAMED TO BE AMERICAN"

It's pure fucking PR.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#23]
<snip>
In fact I'm willing to predict if anyone asks any questions about that the WH will use Hillary's "At this point what difference does it make?" strategy while going out of their way to remind us ignorant peasants that Obama is ending the war, bringing all the troops home, yadda yadda, so smile and STFU all of you evil conservatives.

View Quote

Unfortunately this  
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been thinking that if it comes to the surface this guy was collaborating with the Taliban, our MSM will not cover the story or it will just be covered up.

Why was this guy not killed? My assumption is that he was helping them. He gave them a reason to keep his ass alive.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been thinking that if it comes to the surface this guy was collaborating with the Taliban, our MSM will not cover the story or it will just be covered up.

Why was this guy not killed? My assumption is that he was helping them. He gave them a reason to keep his ass alive.
View Quote

Honestly, just having him was a reason for them to keep him alive.

And we would never kill him.  He's an asshole, but he's OUR asshole.  We should be the ones to decide his punishment.  Not some goat-fuckers in Pashtunistan.

Please note: the above statement is entirely the opinion of BomberH46 and should not be attributed to the DoD, the CiC, or any part of the USG.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We will be seeing those five again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I saw this show on Showtime.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I saw this show on Showtime.
View Quote

Yeah but, this show doesn't include Inara's tits.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hopefully though a scope.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Assuming he was convicted of desertion; if so, what is a likely sentence he would receive? If less than, say, ten years, then he should be released based on time served in captivity of the enemy, along with the DD or whatever else goes along with it. If he truly didn't intend to desert then give him a month of leave, a POW medal, and another active duty assignment.
View Quote
A service member can be put to death for desertion on the battlefield. Why should he get time served because he deserted and the dumbass was captured by our enemy? He did not serve any time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

of a laser guided weapons system

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#33]
How long before they are allowed to slip away?

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

More: Deal to release Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was brokered by Qatari government, which has agreed to host 5 Taliban inmates for 1 year - @washingtonpost

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

More: Deal to release Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was brokered by Qatari government, which has agreed to host 5 Taliban inmates for 1 year - @washingtonpost

Doesn't fucking matter.  We're releasing them as fast as we can in a effort to shut down Gitmo any away...
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Doesn't fucking matter.  We're releasing them as fast as we can in a effort to shut down Gitmo any away...
View Quote

If we were releasing them as fast as we can, they would have been gone by February 2009.  This is just one more thing Obama doesn't care about, unless he can get some political advantage at home.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If we were releasing them as fast as we can, they would have been gone by February 2009.  This is just one more thing Obama doesn't care about, unless he can get some political advantage at home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta find countries willing to accept them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Gotta find countries willing to accept them.
View Quote

Are you saying Karzai wouldn't have taken them?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#38]
They're not all Afghani...not by a long shot.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This Nothing will happen the blind patriotism and back patting has already started..no  slowing this train down

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck Him, I was in his unit. God damn deserter  did NOT get "left behind" in a patrol that shit does not happen period. Everyone had a buddy and everyone was always accounted for. He walked off the FOB in the middle of the night to go enjoy man love thursday with Tommy Taliban. We wasted way to much time looking for him and GOOD soldiers that loved their country died doing it. Fuck that mother fucker.

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/give_a_fuck.gif

I'm actually very curious to find out what will happen to him.

I have heard the same thing bjohnson425 said. I am from Idaho, I know people connected to Bowe, and I could still care less. Fuck Bowe.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
"ASHAMED TO BE AMERICAN"

View Quote

In 2012, and even earlier they wanted an exchange for 5 tallys... Now all of a sudden we give them 5 fuckin tallys???

Pretty sure this Bowe dude is going to get debriefed for a few years... Like waterboarding style debriefing!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Propaganda purposes............."See, we aren't that bad"

Quoted:
I'm surprised the Taliban didn't just kill him. My guess is they liked him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow, fuck that guy and fuck anyone who politicizes this to the point that he's left unaccountable for his actions.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Obama went on and on about how happy he was to be able to bring Bo back to his family and that is was a great day for America, yadda yadda. Then Bo's mom did the whole "We can't wait to have him home" deal, then his dad said that he understood that Bo had a hard time speaking English anymore so babbled for a little bit in Pashto to him and then did the same "To the Afghan people."

From the way Obama was talking about the whole situation it leads me to believe there isn't going to be too vigorous of an investigation over the circumstances leading up to his stay with the Taliban either.

In fact I'm willing to predict if anyone asks any questions about that the WH will use Hillary's "At this point what difference does it make?" strategy while going out of their way to remind us ignorant peasants that Obama is ending the war, bringing all the troops home, yadda yadda, so smile and STFU all of you evil conservatives.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that little Rose Garden moment was pretty interesting.

Indeed. Daddy grew haji beard and spoke haji to lil' Bo. WTF?

I missed it, details?

Obama went on and on about how happy he was to be able to bring Bo back to his family and that is was a great day for America, yadda yadda. Then Bo's mom did the whole "We can't wait to have him home" deal, then his dad said that he understood that Bo had a hard time speaking English anymore so babbled for a little bit in Pashto to him and then did the same "To the Afghan people."

From the way Obama was talking about the whole situation it leads me to believe there isn't going to be too vigorous of an investigation over the circumstances leading up to his stay with the Taliban either.

He forgot English?!? What a loser. How the hell do you just forget how to speak your native language in that short amount of time?

Must have been a good brainwashing I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Not to say these guys aren't dangerous but it seems like most of them have been in custody since the early days of the war. They may not hold a lot of intelligence value since they have been out of circulation for so long. And hopefully after spending about a decade in Gitmo they may not be as capable as they were when they were captured. Probably wishful thinking though.

I love how they are trying to act like sending them to Qatar means they won't be fighting against us in the near future. They aren't allowed to leave the country for a year. Best case scenario they readjust for a year and they are free to travel back to the fight if they want. I think the White House's main concern was delaying one of these guys making the news until after the next presidential election.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not to say these guys aren't dangerous but it seems like most of them have been in custody since the early days of the war. They may not hold a lot of intelligence value since they have been out of circulation for so long. And hopefully after spending about a decade in Gitmo they may not be as capable as they were when they were captured. Probably wishful thinking though.

I love how they are trying to act like sending them to Qatar means they won't be fighting against us in the near future. They aren't allowed to leave the country for a year. Best case scenario they readjust for a year and they are free to travel back to the fight if they want. I think the White House's main concern was delaying one of these guys making the news until after the next presidential election.
View Quote

Probably have diabetes and heart disease from the awesome chow.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

When does the court martial start?
View Quote

Och!

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

"The prisoners that will be exchanged for Bergdahl are Mohammad Fazl, Mullah Norullah Noori, Mohammed Nabi, Khairullah Khairkhwa, Abdul Haq Wasiq. There are now 149 detainees remaining at Guantanamo Bay. "

lets just hope we never read those names anywhere again...
View Quote

And you know we will.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So we're trading 5 terrorists for 1?  Awesome.  

View Quote

My buddy got blown up, and I can't even remember how many firefights we got in while looking for that traitor.  

What a joke.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#50]
that is sicking

I bet they won't prosecute him either.

Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top