User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cuban Food
View Quote

Try some Ropa Vieja with yellow rice and black beans. There is something wrong with you if you don't like that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The hardcore seafood restaurant per capita in southern california is nothing compared to other places.  Its kinda sad.  I think land/rent might have killed them off, as I do remember having some good stuff when I was younger.

Once you get up a little more north, it gets better... like Ventura, Santa Barbra, Morro Bay where you can throw a stone to the next hole in the wall joint.  I Love eating local stuff on the docks.

Morro Bay
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20221228_212124832_jpg-2653523.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20221228_212113631_2_jpg-2653522.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20221229_204512521_2_jpg-2653516.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve been to Coronado/San Diego a dozen or more times. I’m always amazed at the lack of seafood restaurants.  (Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong places). What I mean is I’ve always expected a bunch of little mom and pop type places like in here in FL.  I never see them (again, I’m sure they’re around and I’m simply missing them)

The hardcore seafood restaurant per capita in southern california is nothing compared to other places.  Its kinda sad.  I think land/rent might have killed them off, as I do remember having some good stuff when I was younger.

Once you get up a little more north, it gets better... like Ventura, Santa Barbra, Morro Bay where you can throw a stone to the next hole in the wall joint.  I Love eating local stuff on the docks.

Morro Bay
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20221228_212124832_jpg-2653523.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20221228_212113631_2_jpg-2653522.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20221229_204512521_2_jpg-2653516.JPG

The summer prior to covid I took a couple of weeks vacation and stayed with the couple I wrenched on race cars for in the late 80's/early 90's. They live in Palos Verdes right near Malaga Cove. We hopped over to the San Pedro Fish Market. Per the googs it looks to still be open.

I had never been there. I was in fish overload. I ate no sides but had like 6 different kinds of fish. I loved the place.

Sadly my friend passed at 91 last summer but I did just get an invite from his wife to come stay for a couple of weeks this summer.  I might have to head out that way...

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to anyone.

ETA...make sure to eat at location 1 on the water...

San Pedro Fish Market

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Best I have had was when you could buy them at Publix (freshly made in the deli).  Tried Miami on a trip and was not all that impressed.  That said, I think it has been almost 15 years since I have had one from a Publix.
View Quote

That's my lunch maybe twice a week.  Work is just a few miles from a Publix.  Not the best, but very good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.  The Columbia restaurant has the best Cuban sandwich in Florida.
View Quote

Lol, not even close
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Try some Ropa Vieja with yellow rice and black beans. There is something wrong with you if you don't like that.
View Quote

Monica.jpg
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I like all of ‘em unless they use mayonnaise. Quality ingredients don’t need an emulsion.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I met a couple of my old Cuban cronies at the Columbia in Ybor for lunch today.

My lunch was:

Mojito
Spanish bean soup
Shrimp and crabmeat Alcachofas
1905 Salad
Ropa Vieja  

I would have gotten a flan too but I was just too stuffed to eat one.  

Oh, and as to Tampa Cuban sandwiches.. the facts don't lie.  

https://i.postimg.cc/Px52nNfv/La-Segunda-Bakery-Tampa-2.jpg

View Quote

We buy the Columbia dressing at Publix and make our own home made version of the salad.

Did y’all play dominoes and drink impossibly strong café Cubano?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya'll suck.
ZERO sandwiches like that near me.
There was a place that had great ones in Dallas. Need to see if those guys are still around.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Tampa…every fucking time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My lunch was:

Mojito
Spanish bean soup
1905 Salad
Ropa Vieja  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My lunch was:

Mojito
Spanish bean soup
1905 Salad
Ropa Vieja  

Pure Cuban comfort food. No way I could eat that much though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer the Tampa sandwich and the Miami c-c-c-cof-f-f-feeeeeee. This is all making me homesick.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mmmmm….now I’m craving a good Cuban sammich.
View Quote

Had one last night with devil crab Ybor Grill
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#14]
You all are full of it.  Calle Ocho is more cuban than Havana.  

All the real Cubans moved to Miami. What's left in Cuba are the Commies, whores  and the ones who are trying to get to Miami. I grew up in South Florida and, after a period of adjustment, learned to love the Cubans and their embrace of the US and capitalism.  

Burned into my memory are the images of the women coming off the planes in Opa Locka with a suitcase or two or more commonly with paper bags and a kid or two or three in tow.  Half of the kids were crying and the women obviously distraught.  Any men were old and feeble.  

Fuck Castro, fuck communism and fuck the leaders in the US who were too chickenshit to go over to Cuba and put a rope around Fidel's neck
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]
There are a couple of places in Mobile that make an excellent Cuban
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Grew up in Port Tampa and I will always be biased towards green store Cubans.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell yeah!..

Truly this post & all (Tampa Cuban style) delivers for the supreme sandwich connoisseur.
(just saying)..
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in Tampa.
My God the Cuban food there was awesome.  Pressed Cuban... the best known to mankind.  

Now just under Canada boarder, under feet of snow.  i pray i have a chance to eat another meal of a warm Cuban.
Add a Deviled Crab and some roast pork, black beans and yellow rice.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The prison I used to work at we had a guard who was Cuban and 4-5 times a year he would make homemade Cuban sandwiches with all the fixings, and sell them at work. He would come in with coolers full to sell. He sold a lot of them some guys would walk our with 3 or 4 of them.

They were delicious one of the things I miss about working there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That place is a classic outstanding eatery.

This.  The Columbia restaurant has the best Cuban sandwich in Florida.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I grew up in Tampa.
My God the Cuban food there was awesome.  Pressed Cuban... the best known to mankind.  

Now just under Canada boarder, under feet of snow.  i pray i have a chance to eat another meal of a warm Cuban.

View Quote

I hear ya my arfcom brother.. I totally agree. Cuban food is awesome.
Hey. Keep warm..
And possibly one day, all is yours maybe-
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Had a Cuban sandwich in little Havana. It was alright. Too much mustard though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Grew up in Tampa Bay.

Everything is better there, fuck Miami.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I make no pretense of competing with pro's in Florida.

Homemade cuban bread, with the normal cuban sandwich fixings and some sliced salami because I like it. That and some homemade chili was dinner this evening.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Never had a Cuban sandwich except outside of Florida. While I have enjoyed what I had, I'd like to try the real deal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The "Cuban Sandwich" was not invented in Cuba but in Tampa.

There is some very good cuisine in the Miami area but Tampa set the standard for Cuban sandwiches.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I make no pretense of competing with pro's in Florida.

Homemade cuban bread, with the normal cuban sandwich fixings and some sliced salami because I like it. That and some homemade chili was dinner this evening.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0251-2721323.jpg

View Quote

That looks real good!
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
La Segunda makes a good sandwich. My regular place for Cuban sandwiches (and hot Cuban food) to go is the Interbay Meat Market. Go in, order the sandwiches, grab a couple drinks and then drive down the street to the Ballast Point Park and eat on a picnic table by the water.
View Quote

I work on Henderson in S. Tampa, will have to try. I do like the carved cuban at Alessi Bakery on Cypress. Huge sandwich.

If you have never been and are in the mood for tacos, Bahia on Dale Mabry near Henderson is my go to.  Asada tacos and a side order of the chorizo queso,  Add a bit of that on top and some hot sauce and you're in taco heaven.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any suggestions for top sandwiches in Miami Beach near 52nd street and Collins?
View Quote

Castle Beach Club?

It’s been a while but there was a shop that made sandwiches downstairs by the Russian Turkish Bath.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Tampa>Miami for Cubans. Flan factory makes some amazing ones.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Love the Cuban. But it better be pressed. After that I’m flexible.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve eaten Cuban sandwiches all over Miami, Tampa, and once in NJ. Best one I ever ate was in some shithole gas station way past MIA on the way to the range one morning. No idea where we were, couldn’t find it again if I tried.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Lived in Miami most of my life and am now in Tampa. Miami Cuban is way better. From the roasted peek to the bread.

Croquetta preparada is the best version of a Cuban sandwich. Media noche is good too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Silver Ring or Brocato's.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Seriously, i could live on cubans and grouper sandwiches.
View Quote

Are you my dad ?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm not Cuban and I live in north Central Florida. There was a Cuban restaurant nearby that I went to a few times. I had both Cuban and Midnight sandwiches there, Pretty sure only difference was the bread, midnight had sweet bread?. If i remember correctly theirs had sweet sliced ham, roasted pork, swiss cheese, mustard, pickles..then pressed flat.. I hate pickles so I ordered them without pickles.. I thought both were darn good. I also miss their guava and cream cheese pastries.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Grew up in Port Tampa and I will always be biased towards green store Cubans.
View Quote

This guy gets it (Interbay Meat Market for others' map search)
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Used to live right at the corner of Mississippi and S. Howard ......we would get the chicks on AOL and Yahoo to meet us at the Laundromat next to the Rainbow store....

If it didn't work out, you still got a sandwich and clean clothes
View Quote

@Villafuego  Hell, We were neighbors. I lived at S. DeSoto Ave. in the old brick apartment a couple of buildings before you hit the Bayshore. Few chicks from The Mons lived there,
the stories, holy shit.     You lived right by the Rainbow. I would walk up to the Rainbow and get a Cuban a few times a week I did my laundry next door lol.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seriously, i could live on cubans and grouper sandwiches.
View Quote

Arizona grouper have got to be rare.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Last time I was down with my son we had a good cuban sandwich at a place a few blocks away from the stadium. I don't remember the name but the sandwich was very good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wrong about the salami. They were not even created by Cubans either. Europeans that cured meats
View Quote

Nobody cares who invented cured meat. We are talking about Cuban sandwiches, which are vastly superior when served without Genoa salami.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I grew up in Tampa.

View Quote

I used to get a decent Cuban in south MPLS at a place called Viktor’s.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Arizona grouper have got to be rare.
View Quote

Very!
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

@cyclone names of the shops ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#45]
on a trip to Tampa I ordered a Cuban sandwich from a restaurant close the airport.  The roasted pork was shredded, not sliced  bread was like a French baguette not like "the Cuban pan de agua"  Is shredded  pork (looked like Mexican carnitas) common?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You all are full of it.  Calle Ocho is more cuban than Havana.  

All the real Cubans moved to Miami. What's left in Cuba are the Commies, whores  and the ones who are trying to get to Miami. I grew up in South Florida and, after a period of adjustment, learned to love the Cubans and their embrace of the US and capitalism.  

Burned into my memory are the images of the women coming off the planes in Opa Locka with a suitcase or two or more commonly with paper bags and a kid or two or three in tow.  Half of the kids were crying and the women obviously distraught.  Any men were old and feeble.  

Fuck Castro, fuck communism and fuck the leaders in the US who were too chickenshit to go over to Cuba and put a rope around Fidel's neck
View Quote

I had a dry, inedible cuban sandwich at Versailles on 8th, 2 days ago.   Another dry, inedible sandwich at POLO Norte in Hialeah the day before.
I'm going to Little Havana again tomorrow to see if I can fix that.

Pastelitos at Vicky Bakery are still the best.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Las Floriditas and Bluegill Restaurant

@whiskerz
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I had a dry, inedible cuban sandwich at Versailles on 8th, 2 days ago.   Another dry, inedible sandwich at POLO Norte in Hialeah the day before.
I'm going to Little Havana again tomorrow to see if I can fix that.

Pastelitos at Vicky Bakery are still the best.
View Quote
Yum
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#49]
First place I went to after departing the plane in Tampa was the Cuban Sandwich shop. Not bad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I grew up in W. Palm Beach.

Little Havana restaurant had a 24-hr walk-up window where you could get cafe Cubano, guava pastries, and sandwiches all day and night. I was there several times a week for all of my teenage years, and most of my early twenties. (I even met Donald Trump at the Mobil gas station across the street. He was gassing up his electric blue Diablo as I was filling up my ‘88 Mustang LX hatch. He was actually very nice, we chatted about our cars for a few minutes & went on our ways.)

I’ve had Cuban sandwiches all over S. FL, all delicious. It wasn’t until I moved to Orlando that I knew a “Tampa style” even existed.

I went to a Cuban deli in Apopka and got a sandwich, relishing in the nostalgia that was about to get in my tummy. When I took my first bite, I knew instantly that something was very, very wrong. As I peeled apart the pressed bread, I was aghast to see not only salami, but POTATO STICKS on my sandwich!!!

I stormed back in to the store, requesting that my order be corrected, as I had ordered a Cuban Sandwich, not whatever blasphemy-on-bread I was served. That’s when the Cuban owner explained “that’s how we do it in Tampa.”  I’ve never been back to that particular establishment.

Now, I have nothing against salami (I’m actually eating a salami & Swiss on rye right now as I type), but it (and POTATO STICKS) has no place on a proper Cuban.

Either way, the most difficult part in re-creating a proper Cuban is the bread. If it’s not authentic, crusty Cuban bread (I believe it’s made with lard), it’s just not going to taste right. After 20 years in Orlando, I have not been able to find authentic Cuban bread anywhere north of Palm Beach County.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top